botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I'll be honest, I think the sycophants among his patreons aren't doing Dr. Pinkcake a favour by reassuring him that everything is fantastic.
There is a lot of valid criticism among the anger some feel. Switch of tone, switch of genre, really forced deus ex Machina actions not just once but several times now...
Many people here have made solid points, haven't insulted the dev, haven't thrown a fit, but instead showed a deep connection to the characters, a connection Dr. PinkCake made possible by the fine story-telling and characterization he has shown in the first five episodes.
If you are a creator only listening to those who will pad you on the back and tell you how great you are, will not help you. You have to be willing and able to accept criticism, look at it and maybe if it's constructive learn from it.
You might have to swallow a bit of pride now and then, but in the end you can only grow through it as a writer/dev/creator.

Also, no dev makes a fucking game for 500+ patreons.
Of course they all want their games to be played and enjoyed by thousands, preferably tens- or hundreds of thousands people.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
This is a forum, we are here to discuss the game, and thats all everyone is doing, no reason for the mods to get involved, as its being kept civil. Some people will like things, others wont, the world keeps spinning... This isnt a safe-space echo-chamber where only praise should be allowed but not criticism...
There is a difference between constructive criticism (which the majority do and we are certainly entitled to), and a smear campaign...

Reactions: zecon

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Funny, that I see more people complaining about angry troll comments, than seeing the actual angry troll comments. All I have seen is just a classic critique of something people liked for what it was and for what they got invested in this VN, being changed to something else. They no longer see in it what they saw when the game piqued their interest. And I feel very similar to that.

God damn, this reminds me of the Last Jedi, actually. xD It's not that hardcore, but, hahahahahaha... xDxDxD

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Also, what this reminds me of is when in Love and Submission the MC's sister got shot and all the "supernatural shit" started to take shape and then the game got an open-ish world, and the focus of the game shifted more from the incest plot to the supernatural plot. So many changes, BUT in that game, the shift to the "supernatural shit" wasn't so sudden, and it made sense.

Reactions: Goblin Baily: DILF

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Also, what this reminds me of is when in Love and Submission the MC's sister got shot and all the "supernatural shit" started to take shape and then the game got an open-ish world, and the focus of the game shifted more from the incest plot to the supernatural plot. So many changes, BUT in that game, the shift to the "supernatural shit" wasn't so sudden, and it made sense.
In LaS we had the supernatural element since the begining

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Especially since it was there from the start and slowly being introduced all the way.

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I'm just hoping that neither Babysitter or My Sweet Neighbors or Sisterly Lust ends up
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
my sweethearts during the final two episodes.

Hell, pretty sure not even in Depraved Awakening will Jody and the other girls suddenly be
as if they are nothing but plot fodder.

I mean, am I the only one reminded of a DC or Marvel crossover event where you absolutely have to have a certain

B

BigWamanHunter

Haven't played since ch5.... No idea what new shit DrPinkCake introduced to create this hysteria.. Love the spoiler culture here... Just one month more!

Reactions: Rythan25

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
"Acting Lessons" always had leeway for it's double meaning - lessons in how to act. Act as in take action.

At this point there is really only one way to salvage this sorry mess.
That's not a million miles off the truth, I think.

For those who still haven't managed to 'get it' with why many are upset at this, it's that many chose to play the game it seemed to be, and would never have bothered playing a game type they don't enjoy if they'd known it would become that. A lot of those will, quite fairly, feel that they were 'cheated' into playing a game they didn't enjoy because it masqueraded as something else.

It's not because it's dark, or because it's deeply unpleasant, or because it uses the lamest crap trope in the arsenal of any lazy writer - Oh, it's a psycho killer. They don't need any real reason, and it doesn't need to make any sense because, like, they are a psycho killer. Well, news flash, that's not how psychosis and mental health issues work.
It's bad writing.

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
but its interesting to watch one of my fav games plummet down this fast. and now ill have quite some pages to read in this thread
Funny, I thought someone would bring up Fight Club yesterday. The thing with that movie, though, was its central theme was the relationship between Tyler and Narrator. After the twist, the theme was still about their relationship, just very much more so.

What's the central theme of Acting Lessons?

TheFinder

Jun 10, 2018
"Acting Lessons" always had leeway for it's double meaning - lessons in how to act. Act as in take action.

For those who still haven't managed to 'get it' with why many are upset at this, it's that many chose to play the game it seemed to be, and would never have bothered playing a game type they don't enjoy if they'd known it would become that. A lot of those will, quite fairly, feel that they were 'cheated' into playing a game they didn't enjoy because it masqueraded as something else.

It's not because it's dark, or because it's deeply unpleasant, or because it uses the lamest crap trope in the arsenal of any lazy writer - Oh, it's a psycho killer. They don't need any real reason, and it doesn't need to make any sense because, like, they are a psycho killer. Well, news flash, that's not how psychosis and mental health issues work. Leah is about as credible as having a mysterious flying purple elephant suddenly squash everyone in a bad landing. It's bad writing.
While I agree with what you wrote, you should probably put spoilers in the last part of your post.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

N1K17Y

Jun 12, 2017
Funny, I thought someone would bring up Fight Club yesterday. The thing with that movie, though, was its central theme was the relationship between Tyler and Narrator. After the twist, the theme was still about their relationship, just very much more so.

What's the central theme of Acting Lessons?
well leah was quite the minor character up until now. i dont see how its comparible between her and MC and Tyler and the narrator. but maybe im missing your point ?

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
well leah was quite the minor character up until now. i dont see how its comparible between her and MC and Tyler and the narrator. but maybe im missing your point ?
You are. I'm agreeing with you.

Your point about Leah holds true as well. What's her motivation? What's the player's investment in her character, or her heel turn? Nobody cared about her before, so why wouldn't the big reveal be met with rolled eyes and maybe a laugh?

Ninjabiboop

Mar 22, 2018

It's not because it's dark, or because it's deeply unpleasant, or because it uses the lamest crap trope in the arsenal of any lazy writer - Oh, it's a psycho killer. They don't need any real reason, and it doesn't need to make any sense because, like, they are a psycho killer. Well, news flash, that's not how psychosis and mental health issues work. Leah is about as credible as having a mysterious flying purple elephant suddenly squash everyone in a bad landing. It's bad writing.
Thank you :)

Reactions: rogosh

zh

Oct 17, 2017
Well, I was just reading the last 3 pages to see if there was finally the return of some light in this drama-game but... not really it seems...
So sorry, but I will not even bother to download the last update of this game. I remember that 0.6 ruined my mood the night so I will not risk another experience like this today.
Today is a good day, a shiny day, but not a good day to day or to die or to get sad.

I really like this game until 0.5 tho, so I will still thank the dev for this game... until 0.5

Reactions: RogueKnightUK
4.60 star(s) 810 Votes