Flurb

Mar 15, 2018
Really enjoy the game! I cant seem to get Rena at the end of Ep 6 though :/ only Megan or Melissa. Any suggestions?

greven119

Jun 8, 2018
I think maybe people are forgetting that all of this was already written - it wasn’t a romance , it would always turn the way it has - people assumed it was the same as most other VN’s on here
I doubt that many assumed it would be the same as most other VN's thanks to the Liam stuff. The game did a very good job in the first four episodes of mixing levity with real world, realistic problems. The robbery? Finding out, over time, that what Liam's problem is? Melissa's abusive ass step-dad? This is rather realistic especially when spread out like it was. But then you have:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It's too much, too fast. To mitigate this all he really needed to do was actually spread things out over a longer time. But it all happens so fast and swerves the game too hard to actually take seriously from a writing perspective. In something like Depraved Awakening the setting itself is somewhat bleak and awful stuff keeps the game from ever getting too happy go lucky. But with this one day it's "Let's all go camping! Whoo! Happy fun times go!" and then the next it's a soap opera. I'm just waiting to find out that the arsonist is innocent, it was her long dead twin sister back to ruin her life.

Cloudchaser

Jan 24, 2018
I think Meg is ok I just hate that your forced to date her no matter what and I like Melissa why more and the game treats me like dick cause I want to only date her.
Which was the reason I kinda stopped being interested in the game, that it forces you into that really weird 3 Way Romance that I had zero interest in. Everything else was amazing though, so I thought I will just wait until the game is done.

Reading the comments on the last episodes, I think I did the right decision on not playing further.

Reactions: Paranoid_android

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Can agree, I actually couldnt give less shits about Megan, however, that doesnt prevent me from realizing that its a terribly thought out outcome for an array of different reason ranging from player expectations to tonal changes (even genre, as I said, this game suddenly turned into a drama, which it wasnt for most of the play time).

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I still wish there will be an Ana ending. I remember when Ana asked whether we have moved on or not and it says it will have consequences. Where's the consequences?
There's still one more episode to go, and 'supposedly' 22 different endings. Things may well get even more interesting in the final chapter.

Reactions: Paranoid_android

Grick Rimes

Mar 14, 2018
1) .07 felt more like a transition to the rest of the story than a true update... there were about 3 choices to make. the rest was click through.
2) that being said, the artwork is beautiful and even a "click through" on this game is worth the download. Serious fan of Rena... like serious serious fan.... like dang I wish she was a real chick, and into me alone fan LOL!

Truly can't wait for the next update.

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
It definitely not a romantic drama - what could he do that wouldn’t give the game away
Slap a tragedy tag on it? That alone spoils virtually nothing of the story but people know what they are in for when they pick it up. Not everyone enjoys tragedy.

When you go to the movies with your girl and want to watch a romcom to get in the mood, would you like to find out midway that it's actually a body horror flick?

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
Slap a tragedy tag on it? That alone spoils virtually nothing of the story but people know what they are in for when they pick it up. Not everyone enjoys tragedy.

When you go to the movies with your girl and want to watch a romcom to get in the mood, would you like to find out midway that it's actually a body horror flick?
I would assume that you are disappointed because you got emotionally engaged with the characters and story? Surprises can often alter the body's chemistry, so repeat after me. "Chemistry"

AGoodDay2Die

Feb 9, 2018
As soon as the "lost little lamb" bit started I knew exactly where it was going, what had REALLY happened in chapter 6, and I'm sure I know what's coming next. I'll have to say I haven't wanted to strangle a writer this badly since I saw the movie "Revenge" with Kevin Costner, Madeleine Stowe, and Anthony Quinn...

pb2eb

May 7, 2018
I actually doubt that Doc himself will ever read my criticisms and be able to learn anything from it. But I have no doubt at all that other current and future developers are here in these forums and may be able to gain from the criticism made here.
Very much this. Enyos has put forth the idea that some critics have stuck around this thread simply to heap scorn on DrPinkCake but really for people such as myself who have given up on this story there's two benefits to wanting to stick with this thread a while longer. First there's the comfort of seeing that at least some players are equally upset by this plot turn. Second since this now shifted to a discussion on the literary merits of this game it worth breaking down why this game is poor writing (search my post history if you're curious about why I take this position, I never really intended to active poster here when I signed up and almost my entire post history has been in response to chapter seven of this game which again does imply that this game does remain exceptional in some ways).

And I do think part of the reason this is so frustrating is because there are very few male protagonist adult games where both the MC and female characters are written well enough that it actually feels rewarding to choose a specific path and play it through instead of doing the usual fast forward through the game repeatedly to unlock every scene. Depraved Awakening comes close but since the game makes it clear fairly early that anything goes most players will approach it with a certain degree of detachment. Babysitter is also arguably close but being an incest game again immersion is limited despite good writing.

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I am engrossed in the story still (am going back to Chapter 6 to try a different path, LOL), and think Acting Lessons is a different kind of game than a lot of others on this site in a good way. BUT....I do agree that the last few twists came really quickly and the game felt rushed the last 2.5 chapters. I'm just not sure if the pacing was really that different from the first 4 chapter compared to the last 3...maybe? Or just my perception?

I wonder if part of it is the whole episodic nature of these Patreon games, that the deeper in, the less 'fulfilling' the later chapters feel to me. I love Long Live the Princess, for example, but the latest update (which focused on Primrose) I got everything immediately. This was I assume because I laid the groundwork in previous episodes (got huge affection points from her that built up) so I scored everything in the first scene of the new chapter. And then, nothing again. So it felt a bit thin (no fault of the author though). I'm sure if I played it from the beginning, the buildup and conquest of Primrose would have been more satisfying to a first time player.

Or maybe the pacing really does matter *a lot more* in these episodic games, and is something VN authors need to focus on, not just in the overall story, but in how chapters get released.

4.60 star(s) 810 Votes