RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Curious use of your first post on the site.
Actually, quite a few members have felt moved to make their first post on the forum to this discussion. It's an emotive game, and a deeper than average discussion, so that's not so surprising. You'll note that several who've posted for the first time in this discussion have been members of the forum for over a year, yet this was the first time they felt they simply had to speak. I for one welcome more active voices and participants.

Zer0Z0neR

Jan 18, 2018
I'll leave this here...
"Give the audience what they want, but not what they expect!" William Goldman
I think DrPinkCake clearly missed the mark on first part and botched the second part from that quote about storytelling.
I feel that DrPinkCake as an author writes his stories for himself but not his audience (i got that feeling/impression from latest Q/A).

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
I'll leave this here...
"Give the audience what they want, but not what they expect!" William Goldman
I think DrPinkCake clearly missed the mark on first part and botched the second part from that quote about storytelling.
I feel that DrPinkCake as an author writes his stories for himself but not his audience (i got that feeling/impression from latest Q/A).
To be fair: If you don't expect that success and maybe do it to a good degree as a catatonic exercise and for closure, there is no audience that it's directed at.
I'm not defending the story, I just can see how some guy felt the desire to express something of himself and this is the result. That's at least my understanding, I could be completely and utterly wrong of course.

Judging from the lack of RenPy exception errors at least the QA is pretty on point now. Not the worst starting point for the final episode and the new game.

Let's see how episode 8 will conclude everything and happy endings-speculations to those who can't wait.

Anti_Stress_Kit.jpg

Zer0Z0neR

Jan 18, 2018
there is no audience that it's directed at.
I'm not defending the story, I just can see how some guy felt the desire to express something of himself and this is the result. That's at least my understanding, I could be completely and utterly wrong of course.
But therein lies the problem, the moment you let your work out in the wild and on top of that expect people to pay for that work/experience, you already are directing it at them directly or indirectly.
It's absurd that Adult themed VN has sparked such discussion about storytelling, to me that means that author has talent/potential for greatness, but chose wrong medium/genre mix and representation for his outing.
He clearly misrepresented his work on his patreon page (no you cannot shove all that under adult themes when considered in context), thats why ESRB, PEGI and others include additional tags along age rating, thats why there are many clearly defined genres and sub-genres for these mediums!!!

Lets play out an acting lesson shall we (lame pun i know)...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
While we are here have one, imagine this...

Sorry about another rant...

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
But therein lies the problem, the moment you let your work out in the wild and on top of that expect people to pay for that work/experience, you already are directing it at them directly or indirectly.
It's absurd that Adult themed VN has sparked such discussion about storytelling, to me that means that author has talent/potential for greatness, but chose wrong medium/genre mix and representation for his outing.
He clearly misrepresented his work on his patreon page (no you cannot shove all that under adult themes when considered in context), thats why ESRB, PEGI and others include additional tags along age rating, thats why there are many clearly defined genres and sub-genres for these mediums!!!

Lets play out an acting lesson shall we (lame pun i know)...
While we are here have one, imagine this...

Sorry about another rant...
Hey, what else is a forum good for ;-)

As for me: that's all been addressed before and I said some of what you said earlier in different wording. In bullet points: Needed a tag/clear description, pacing is off, genre and mood shift, character portrayal very spotty in places, choices that effect very little.
I agree pretty much with all of this, as for charging money: If I would mind and pay attention on what people are spending their money on, I would prolly lose my hope in this world and die of insomnia.

Reactions: Zer0Z0neR

James Madison

Jul 25, 2018
Finally got around to trying this and I love it. Trying to avoid spoilers but looks like I can expect some controversy...

I am especially amazed by the quality and quantity of art style. From what I gather, the author was able to get a 2nd computer to run renders. I am sure that helps but it is still impressive. I really struggle to get decent Daz renders sometimes, and it is slllloooww for anything more complex than character portraits.

Anyone have any insights into the author’s process, render settings, etc.? I am genuinely inspired to step up my art game based on what this game is doing, but not sure where to start!

Reactions: mitjo and Enyos

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Is there a way to choose with Leah which does not give a nightmare ending? I used to love this game, very sensitive and well written. Now I am very hurt and upset that the characters I cared so much about were so carelessly discarded. I wish I never played past the first part of chapter 6.
Actually not. I went back to where the MC originally hooked up with Leah and had him reject her at that point, and by Epi 7 you end up with Leah being the crazy stalker.

Reactions: Enyos

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
The hospital gets a case of the reverse #metoo and gets sued into oblivion over the hiring of a psychotic nurse also prone to switching chemotherapy with placebo.
Interesting theory, to be sure. Maybe that's why Edna didn't make it and Liam is on his way out. If Leah gets taken out of the picture, does Liam get better? Inquiring minds want to know.

requiem31

Sep 7, 2016
Interesting theory, to be sure. Maybe that's why Edna didn't make it and Liam is on his way out. If Leah gets taken out of the picture, does Liam get better? Inquiring minds want to know.
(Did I just spoil a plot point with my previous post? My b!)
There is indeed a way for Liam's treatment to become effective again thanks to the intervention of a specific character.

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
I wonder how big choice at the concert when it comes to Rena and Dick will play out.
I think that we didnt see Dick since that moment so he still has to show up and do something stupid.

Reactions: Enyos

Zer0Z0neR

Jan 18, 2018
If any of you who are complaining about the unexpected twist think about it, you can leave. You've stayed your hour.
And that's what some people did, that doesn't preclude voicing our opinions, does it!?

Reactions: meanie

Tec15

Sep 13, 2018
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but how do we use an older save for the latest version? And where are the saves stored anyway? Thanks.

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017

Deleted member 795684

Aug 2, 2018
I don't know if it is mentioned but I got the feeling from the episode 7 that; no matter you chose Megan or Melissa, when we see the ''real time'' of MC(you know, he is telling to story to therapist) it will be revealed that other girl is dead too(Megan or Melissa).

I am saying this, because that came to my mind when we only see the Liam in the outdoor of therapy.

Reactions: Namco15 and Enyos
4.60 star(s) 810 Votes