Renetta

Jan 30, 2018
So this game is still worked on or did the dev abandon it after the disaster that was 0.7 ?

Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
I have not argued with you about the fact that his numbers dipped after fire ;I said the numbers had risen steadily - currently he has 569 patrons.
As has been said by drpinkcake himself - he knew that the games shift in tone would probably lose patron support - i get that you don't like the game bud - do you actually think you are going change other peoples ( equally entitled) positive opinions about the game?
if anyone is interested in supporting a patreon - you can do it for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee a week...
If people like game. Support. And you act like current rate of increase is good... when compared to last months it is not.

This argument for one time is not about if I like the game or I do not. It is more now about how it affected audience. Game is superly popular even after EP5 which begins too much drama. After EP6 though, it stayed flat. I say this because in thread many say that those who are not like the last two EPS are only whining minorities. Hard to say if in this thread more like plot twists than dislike. I think even probably. But is what seems to be causing loss of increase. And reason is not that story getting serious. It looking like half of fan base like surprise out of no where, and half feel like author using cheat trick to get emotion out of player.

Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
Oct patreon support = 532. We’re in the second week of November and the support is 569.
People are entitled to like or dislike the game - we’re all here to discuss it .
Whether someone likes something or not is their own opinion - in that respect no one is wrong.
Trying to change someone’s deep felt opinion is entertaining but ultimately - probably a waste of time.
Patreons go up inside the month, then drop at end of the month. Each number is at end of the month. At same time last month (Oct 14) 557 patron this month (Nov 14) 565 so +8 above the number it was last month.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Burn85

May 25, 2018
I concur, that I really like Depraved Awakening, but the emotional impact there doesn't come close to what happens here (hence all of the animosity). There's nothing similar between the 2 stories, and thus, are directed at different audiences and mindsets. To each their own. :)
The audience is the same. These are people, who love the plot, emotions, well-written characters. But not mom-fuck, lack of common sense and masturbate during the game.
Sex in these games has a big role, but it is secondary. It only complements the emotional background.

Last edited:
Reactions: N7 and Enyos

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
Many of the posters above would disagree about it being well written... They've said repeatedly since the end of episode 6, that it's horrible garbage. I guess it could be similar in that it's in the Non-Incest niche (amazing that that's a niche...) and an actual story. I guess some just have an agenda to repeatedly smear a near finished product, where their complaints will hold no bearing on the authors direction. *sigh* :rolleyes:

The_Driver

Mar 10, 2018
I just saw that there's actually a scene to unlock ? Well, I got three saves but I didn't saw the scene in any of the 3...

I just have something more to add. It's (according to me) kind of a negative aspect of this episode. It's just that I don't get to really play... I mean, in the previous episodes we had a lot of dialogue to do, and in this one I think it's just two or three times we get to do something ? (Even if there's an important decision) I guess that it is indeed the definition of a visual novel but it's just that I felt a little useless in this episode...
But maybe I'm the only one who feels that way but I felt just like a watcher and not a player.

cmon1234

May 19, 2017
You know what; I prefer shitty games like DmD over this. With them I knew what I was getting.

With this, in first 5 chapters I loved everything. Even the male friend was a great character. For what? For a cheap series of twists to completely throw everything to garbage. Just finished Epidode 6, won't be playing 7.

When 8 is out I'll read spoilers and if 7 turns out to be a stupid prank, then I'll maybe continue.

Burn85

May 25, 2018
You know what; I prefer shitty games like DmD over this. With them I knew what I was getting.

With this, in first 5 chapters I loved everything. Even the male friend was a great character. For what? For a cheap series of twists to completely throw everything to garbage. Just finished Epidode 6, won't be playing 7.

When 8 is out I'll read spoilers and if 7 turns out to be a stupid prank, then I'll maybe continue.
Thanks you. Now we all know that you have no taste.
But seriously, why write this? The game has a lot of fans. These are people who like the plot and characters, and don't like shitty games.

DrPinkCake

Cake Baker
Game Developer
Nov 13, 2018
Oohh boy, I have a lot to say... So here it is...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The next episode is the final episode of AL. Nothing more, nothing less. It is exactly what I want it to be and I'm extremely proud of what I have created.
I set out to create a memorable experience and evoke a wide range of emotions. I achieved that.
People sticking around, despite hating what I did or how I did it, just proves my point. There's only been one person I wanted to satisfy with the game and that person was me.
There is nothing wrong with feeling sad/angry with what happened, I feel those feelings, too. I've lost count on the number of times I've laughed, cried and felt regret while writing this. When the project started I only had a plan for the story with no feelings attached to the characters; that's why it was easy to stick to the plan, even though it hurt as hell near the end.
But, the story isn't over yet.
If you stop at Episode 6 or 7, that's up to you. If you can stomach the pain, I'd say play it all and then reflect on the game before you judge. If not, I totally understand it. I cover a lot of questions in the Q&A that you can probably find somewhere in this thread.
Future words of advice, don't play my upcoming game BADIK if you want to avoid feeling things besides from hard-ons. I will include an explicit warning in that game from the start, that's a big regret I've had for AL. It wouldn't have changed the outcome though.

Also, some words of comfort, don't forget it's all just fiction. Although, it's amazing what pixels on a screen and some text can do to a person.
Cheers & stay strong

riccartman

Sep 17, 2016
@DrPinkCake
Fiction sometimes hit you the hardest, as since its all in your head and you make the character seems beyond perfect.
And you should be proud of your work, my intention wasn't that, and if came across like that then my bad.
I saw that I missed something in my spoiler, so here it is

As for Badik... You're going to deliver another gut punch...?

Reactions: Jeanjacquouile

Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
Future words of advice, don't play my upcoming game BADIK if you want to avoid feeling things besides from hard-ons. I will include an explicit warning in that game from the start, that's a big regret I've had for AL.
Thank you for point of view.

I wanted to talk about this part of your post. I think a point might be missing here. Complaint is not about "feeling things besides from hard-ons". That is never the problem. A big warning on front is not problem fixing either. Even with warning, a problem of clash in tone and story telling would still exist. The problem is that the beginning of the game does not correctly set up the rest of the game. Leah is set up as crazy, not set up as important enough to be the big important character in the game that causes death of broken girls. Game is set up for drama and romance, not set up for horror. You make game 85% comedy and romance, then turn into pure depression horror off of not enough. That is problem not lack of warning. And even if you thinking it was about warning, you STILL advertise as comedy and romance for new coming people. So advise would be set up in the story, if bad things are to happen in BADIK, and it is set up, then complaining will be less, I think.

Almost everyone agree that 1-5 are almost perfect. 1-5 had serious part too it (even if 5 ending was a little over the edge) and people still thought was good. That shows very much in talent. But half of players (I think, maybe little less) do not liking 6 and 7, not only because sad. Some that way I am sure, but reading many of posts it is more that the depressing is too much and too fast. It to them it comes from no where. Some like the surprise... and say enough set up. But for the others it feel like trick to gain emotion. And when half of people have problem, or think that is, it can be something to think of in the future.

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
Oh for fuck's sake... Reading this thread really makes one's faith in human race blossom, doesn't it?

Everything has been said fifty times over and yet people seem to keep on talking at each other, without really listening to what the others try to say, or at least so it seems. Everyone that likes the game (or better said the twist in it) is a drama addicted quasi-artsy masochist and everyone that hates it is an unrefined teenager without taste, who is only interested in jerking off. I think that covers about 80 percent of the posts on the last 200 pages or so.

Sure, we all have a right to express our opinion but this debate is seriously spinning in circles... You liked the twist? Good, say so and explain why but stop trying to convince and/or insult everyone who has a different opinion at any cost. Hated it? Same rules apply. Now, I did my share of commenting on the twist in this thread but I sincerely hope I wasn't as annoying and as caught up in the whole persuade and/or try to make the other side look bad game as some recent replies (from both sides of the fence)...

Now, I may be a bit sleep deprived and cranky as hell right now, which is why I actually post this, but I doubt I'm the only one... Erm, annoyed by the whole mess, not cranky or sleep deprived that is.

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
DrPinkCake posted
Status Update Episode 8

This week was a big one. I'm still rendering animations and as soon as I think I'm close to being done I get inspired to do more.
As I'm writing this I have rendered 22 unique animations, ranging from 1-16 seconds. The current total count is 30 animations, counting speed variations.
Episode 3 had the previous record with 15 unique animations. So, not only is the unique animation count higher, the ones in Episode 8 will also have a higher overall quality.
Rendering animations is, as most of you know by now, a bottleneck in game development. For me, a single frame takes about 1 hour to render and I have produced somewhere between 800-1000 frames of animations for Episode 8 only. That equates to somewhere between 33 and 42 days of 24/7 rendering, on one PC. Let those numbers sink in.
Next week, I will move on to only render static images. The most time consuming part of which is to properly prepare each scene and work with the lighting.
I forgot to mention that I got my GPU from NVIDIA last week, but sadly after one day of rendering it was toast and I had to return it. So, I immediately bought two more 1080Ti, to compensate for that loss, and I won't upgrade to 2080Ti until they fix their HW.
Also, I noticed that DAZ3D wasn't working properly for me using the new card, it might have been due to the aforementioned malfunction, but I don't want to risk halting development until issues with their cards have been sorted. It was a gamble to be an early adopter and it didn't pay off for me.
I'm now working on AL every day of the week with both of my PCs, meaning that I've paused BADIK development. This was mostly done because I really want to make Episode 8 a December release and there is still so much left to do.
I have rendered just about 400 static images, thus far, and I still have no clue how many there are left to do, because the script isn't finished, yet.
Speaking of the script, I moved on to writing a second major branch this week and it's going very well. It is a difficult task to keep track of all choices and write the branches so that your story takes you where you're suppose to end up, but I have a good structure for it. I'm confident in that it will work out as intended.
I haven't been as active as I usually am this week and the reason for it is simple. I'm really pushing myself working on the update, to the point that I only get 5 hours of sleep before I gotta get up for work.
Also, the curse of working 100% on AL is that I can't post any previews, as it would spoil the finale. I will make sure to post some more wallpapers next week instead.
I hope that you understand that this week's lack of posts really means I'm working my ass off on game development.
After AL is finished and BADIK becomes my only active project I will make sure to get back to posting more and having polls.
Right now, I'm in a state of euphoria seeing AL being close to completion. Bare with me during the time that's left. Wrapping up projects always take longer time than expected. And I want to leave AL behind me feeling I did every single thing that I wanted to do.
While you wait for me to finish development on that final Episode, take some time to play two other adult games that are well worth your time.
by PhillyGames is in a similar production phase as AL, having just one final update left before completion. With fantastic renders and a gripping noir story, it is the adult game that impressed me so much I was motivated to create AL.
by HopesGaming. A mafia-themed adult game from an up-and-coming developer. With impressive artistic skills, unique gameplay and story, HopesGaming shows a high promise of becoming a front runner in adult gaming. He just needs the support to get there. This developer is so generous that he even has a FREE public version of his latest release .
Have a nice weekend!

Arden4702

Jul 22, 2017
The next episode is the final episode of AL. Nothing more, nothing less. It is exactly what I want it to be and I'm extremely proud of what I have created.
I set out to create a memorable experience and evoke a wide range of emotions. I achieved that.
People sticking around, despite hating what I did or how I did it, just proves my point. There's only been one person I wanted to satisfy with the game and that person was me.
There is nothing wrong with feeling sad/angry with what happened, I feel those feelings, too. I've lost count on the number of times I've laughed, cried and felt regret while writing this. When the project started I only had a plan for the story with no feelings attached to the characters; that's why it was easy to stick to the plan, even though it hurt as hell near the end.
But, the story isn't over yet.
If you stop at Episode 6 or 7, that's up to you. If you can stomach the pain, I'd say play it all and then reflect on the game before you judge. If not, I totally understand it. I cover a lot of questions in the Q&A that you can probably find somewhere in this thread.
Future words of advice, don't play my upcoming game BADIK if you want to avoid feeling things besides from hard-ons. I will include an explicit warning in that game from the start, that's a big regret I've had for AL. It wouldn't have changed the outcome though.

Also, some words of comfort, don't forget it's all just fiction. Although, it's amazing what pixels on a screen and some text can do to a person.
Cheers & stay strong
One thing I hate is when people from Pateron say hey I make these games for me or to please me, but can you pay money for me to develop it. So its total BS when they say that imo. And it wasnt an emotional response so much as wtf DUDE moment, you build up this relationship then concoct this silly way of oh my god you can only save one person from this 1st floor room right beside the door and cant possibly grab both by the arms and drag them out.. Why i deleted my membership hadnt been to this forum till today and read the response so here is mine.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
One thing I hate is when people from Pateron say hey I make these games for me or to please me, but can you pay money for me to develop it. So its total BS when they say that imo. And it wasnt an emotional response so much as wtf DUDE moment, you build up this relationship then concoct this silly way of oh my god you can only save one person from this 1st floor room right beside the door and cant possibly grab both by the arms and drag them out.. Why i deleted my membership hadnt been to this forum till today and read the response so here is mine.
He is right, why shouldn't the game creator be allowed to make a game that he likes doing it? Just because you don't like it?
Well guess what: the game is not your story and also not mine, we are just along for the ride. :cool:

But If you dislike it so much then just look for something else. There are hundreds of games here, i am sure you will find one fiting to your tastes maybe even with a pandering developer included.

Last edited:

DrPinkCake

Cake Baker
Game Developer
Nov 13, 2018
Ok, you're a bit misinformed about what it takes to create games. For the sake of spreading knowledge, let me help you and others understand.
First off, take a 10 second glance at the prices here
That's the prices I pay for every asset that goes into the game. It's adds up to a ridiculous amount of money.
Without the support, I couldn't have bought assets for the later Episodes. I made a capital investment day 1 and thanks to patrons I could break even.
The money I got after that, that didn't go into my own pocket. I bought a dedicated rendering rig and upgraded my first PC so I could bring you updates faster.
Thanks to continued support, I can create another game and that's huge! But I can't live off of this, I still have a fulltime job. I will have spent between 3000-4000 hours making AL when it's completed and it's pretty much unpaid time.
That is what it takes to do this. So, unless you have thousands of patrons, this isn't lucrative, but it allows me to achieve something and let people take part of it.
Secondly, and this is really the important one, your statement makes it sound as if money developers get from supporters should be able to hold their creations hostage to the players' wishes.
An analogy, go back in time and picture being a rich patron to Leonardo Da Vinci; yup he had supporters, too. Imagine if you said to him, "Hey, Leo. I don't like the model you're using for Mona Lisa. Use my wife as a reference instead. You know I'm a big supporter and you wouldn't want to lose my money."
That is not support, that's making demands and the end product would likely have been shit.

I responded to the second part of your question in the Q&A.

4.60 star(s) 810 Votes