Wanderan

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
@desmosome

The fact that one of them died wasn't what bothered me. It was how suddenly the tone shifted and how suddenly they were taken away.

If it was a smooth transition, I was fine with a character death. But imagine skipping through a beautiful field and as soon as you blink, you're in a barren wasteland.

The death wasn't the problem. The problem was how randomly said death occurred.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
If it was a smooth transition, I was fine with a character death. But imagine skipping through a beautiful field and as soon as you blink, you're in a barren wasteland.
I think that was the point. You're riding on cloud nine, about to have a threesome and move to L.A. to be a big actresses boy toy, and then you snap into reality and morbid loathing. Reality isn't kind and can throw you for a twist (such as a car accident, or illness) when things were seeming to be perfect. There is no build up for those events and they come unexpectedly.

I can understand those that were upset by the change in tone for their own fap happy reasons, but it's not due to bad writing (we all have different tastes and desires). It's due to the unexpected that takes away what you thought that you had worked for and earned. As others have stated, if the tone had been there (or even the "thriller" tag) for setting up a bad turn of events, you wouldn't have grown as attached to the characters, and would have been suspicious of every event as being the one that will throw you for a loop.

Reactions: desmosome

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
@desmosome

The fact that one of them died wasn't what bothered me. It was how suddenly the tone shifted and how suddenly they were taken away.

The death wasn't the problem. The problem was how randomly said death occurred.
If you ask me, I didnt think there was a drastic tonal shift. The game, from the start, had lots of very heavy drama interspersed between moments of joy. These "ups and downs" gradually started to get more extreme as the episodes went on. We were getting higher highs and lower lows.

The fact that we even care this much about the death is a testament to good writing. I didn't give two shits when Tracy in DoD died. Sure, it was preventable, but even if that was the only route, I couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enyos

Wanderan

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Yeah. I never said for a second that the death made me care less about the game. If anything, it made me care more. However, the way it was executed could've been better. I guess I'm so used to reading pieces with good foreshadowing that I kind of just took the moment as a random Shoryuken to the feels. Upon looking over the game another time, I saw very slight foreshadowing, but it wasn't enough for me to say "Okay, something bad is about to happen... I KNOW IT". It was more of like "This is too good to be true, something is gonna happen that's gonna tear them apart".

In other words, the random choice between them wasn't what I thought was gonna happen. I thought there would've been a situation that was unavoidable which will cause you to have to choose one, because the other just simply will not accept sharing you with the other or, your emotions get the better of you and you feel forced to choose one and keep the other platonic.

But instead of that, we got that pick one or the other in the most extreme way with absolutely no hint or anything of the sort.

When that meme "Well that escalated quickly" comes to mind, it's more like "Well that skyrocketed quickly".

I'm not saying the writing is bad, but I AM saying that it could've been better with some subtle hints or foreshadowing, which would've likely prevented the backlash.

I've already made my peace with the whole ordeal and I'm sitting here hoping that the Doc gives us that finale soon cause I NEED to see how it all ends, but I get why you guys would say that the tonal shift was alright because you don't find it as jarring or maybe somehow, you saw something like it coming. But for those of us who didn't feel that way, it wasn't because we felt we earned something. We got our reward with that magical night with Melissa and Megan already.

What we felt was being given that reward and then having it yanked away along with half of our hearts.

MasterDk78

Dec 16, 2017
I dont feel bad about one of them dies. Ofcoz i was heart struck, and i even cried. damn you :p
What bothers me is the fact that it really leans toward a really dark ending where he is left alone.

Fucking hell, give the man some space, and us readers, we do have hearts

Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
I think that was the point. You're riding on cloud nine, about to have a threesome and move to L.A. to be a big actresses boy toy, and then you snap into reality and morbid loathing. Reality isn't kind and can throw you for a twist (such as a car accident, or illness) when things were seeming to be perfect. There is no build up for those events and they come unexpectedly.

I can understand those that were upset by the change in tone for their own fap happy reasons, but it's not due to bad writing (we all have different tastes and desires). It's due to the unexpected that takes away what you thought that you had worked for and earned. As others have stated, if the tone had been there (or even the "thriller" tag) for setting up a bad turn of events, you wouldn't have grown as attached to the characters, and would have been suspicious of every event as being the one that will throw you for a loop.
So much is wrong with this points. You say that reality is not kind. This is some times true, but you think it is reality when crazy nurse burn down house less than day after girlfriend almost raped by the stepfather who also beats other girlfriend same week best friend tell you he have cancer, and also blackmailed by ex into trying to fuck her so girlfriend gets job as actress? Also nurse who rape you while in coma? You think that is real? I say bull shit.

But once more with people upset because no fap happy tone. That saying, by you, and others is insulting to people with reasons given for why they do not like the tone change. If players were only in it for fap there are always being better games for that, as sex scenes were weak link in the game. EP1-5 have good characters, and moving story (well, end of five was getting with the bad, but not enough to be to scary.) Please stop telling people why they did not like some thing, and listening to why they say they did not like some thing.

You say surprise was good. You felt emotion. Others like when story actually does correct work for plot twists and doesn't cheat to get emotional reaction. Which is still what this was in my thinking. When you say people don't like because of emotion or lack of fap, it is insult. And I am knowing that it is easy to fall to when angry, and did before when should not have and made point in not kind ways.

If you ask me, I didnt think there was a drastic tonal shift. The game, from the start, had lots of very heavy drama interspersed between moments of joy. These "ups and downs" gradually started to get more extreme as the episodes went on. We were getting higher highs and lower lows.

The fact that we even care this much about the death is a testament to good writing. I didn't give two shits when Tracy in DoD died. Sure, it was preventable, but even if that was the only route, I couldn't care less.
That we care what happened to the girlfriends is showing that there was good writing in EP1-5. On that thing we are agreeing. That we are angry at becoming target of what feels like bad joke does not mean that 6-7 are written well. If a story is good for 70% and then becomes bad... you wouldn't say the bad part must be good because it make you angry. You just say that the 70% is good. That is what criticizers are saying.

You think there is not tone shift is good for you. I said before that lots of people think there is means that it was not handled well. Villains are all very bad, never feel like people that could exist... because villain so bad, threat never feel like it is an actual part of story in game, instead it feels like add on for more dramatic , very much when so much happen in so short of a time. Surely many postings talk about this. While villain drama work for you, for others it did not. Then with no chance to even think that drama is important, fire happens that is done so bad it is to be laughing. Attempt not even made to save both (and excuse for lack of attempting this is weak) it is choice put there because it was decided to be there, not because natural. And that is problem.

Story and game work when choice come from character. This happen often with Liam, Megan and Melissa. Story does not work, and never did when drama is show horned. Peter, Dick, Ana, and Leah. All fail as villain. All scene with them are not scenes of characters like people, all are scenes with plot that has to happen, because planned in the story, and every thing is used to make sure it happen.

Look at Leah as example. In order for Leah to be villain she is she must to be, ninja stalker, able to secret take photography from impossible angle and open area, work in two different parts of hospital at same time, get obsessing on MC in less than week, be okay with telling stalkered about girl he like, able to lock pick door or make fake key. Able to hide inside of house while three people living in it. Able to knock out two girl with none seeing her. Then setting fire that burns so that all exit are cut off while no witness by neighbor in suburban town. But because choice was made to kill a girl in bad way, story had bend to character and world to make fit.

That is problem game has. Game was designing around killing a girl. But game leading to the killing of girl did not do to make a natural part of the game. That is what is failure... biggest failure.

Last edited:

deejay12

May 4, 2017
... Please tell me you were joking with that line.
Lmao obviously with the “excessive fappers” part but for the rest I was serious. Drama is supposed to be this way, people are more emotional/affected over death if it’s unexpected and occurs right after a time of happiness.

Now @DrPinkCake i have no problems with the story whatsoever but I do wish there was a threesome scene with Melissa and Megan before the fire man we missed out on a awesome scene. In my head soon as the scene happened in the bedroom at the cabin, I instantly said to myself THREESOME XD I was so looking forward to that.

Last edited:

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
geez..i dont look at this thread for a week and it goes to hell :p YAY..Dr PinkCake is back :D my final word before the final update..this is still a top 5 game on this site..and the fact it has affected so many so strongly is proof that it is a powerful story...do you buy a novel and then go after the writer for not writing it so it will end the way you demand it does?..no!..same here...(for you millennials..a novel is a bunch of pieces of paper bound by a spine with printed words on it...it dosnt speak to you through headphones..you have to actually work it :p ) having one of the main-gals die hit me hard and made me unhappy..but i accept it as part of the story..same as having my initial favorite in DA die shocked me..but i accepted it..the story is very good in both..to threaten to stop playing because the story isnt doing what you want it to do is like a 6 year old at christmas screaming at his mom because the wrong pokemon was purchased..you know you'll play the final chapter..regardless how much you say you wont..human nature says you will not be able to move forward without seeing how it ends :p this is and remains..a top 5 game here..period..end of story...time for tea :D
okok..i have one regret about this game..we do not get to boink Rena's mom..dang she's a classy dame...HAHAHAAAAAAA

Last edited:

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I saw very slight foreshadowing, but it wasn't enough for me to say "Okay, something bad is about to happen... I KNOW IT". It was more of like "This is too good to be true, something is gonna happen that's gonna tear them apart".
This was my view upon the first reading as well. When the end of episode 6 came, I was full of gumdrops, rainbows and unicorns, then my heart sank, pulse quickened and blood pressure rose. That was not what I had expected in the slightest, so I filled my mind with "what if's" to try and disregard the severity of what just occurred.

Indeed, it was not at all what I wanted, but it was a unique experience. I don't have a clue about how he could have written it any better, without either giving it away or minimalizing the emotional impact. We are all of differing opinions (and special snowflakes), and not everyone is going to enjoy a tragedy (and the keyboard warriors really like to let us know that). I hope the finale isn't far off, because closure would sure help. :)

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Thread is closed for spring cleaning, please head to aisle 7 while you wait. Thank you.

I've nuked the last part of this discussion, instead of just deleting the whole back and forward. Be nice and accept that others have different opinions from you k?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
Nice art. But having sexy wallpaper of girls seems strange and without point now. It is happy Megan, who is dead. Or in trauma for years after death of only close friend. I understanding delivery of wallpaper. But if this is to be Megan, then Melissa wallpaper must be:

Last edited:

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
I respect that you have made the story to what you wanted even if I don't like the direction it went. To be honest, I come to these kinds of games to feel good, maybe get a decent story and to see some pretty ladies. If i really wanted to do some emotional rollercoaster there are thousands of Clannad esc vns out there that I could play. I will probably finish the story when the last bit comes out, I havent gotten around to ch 7 yet because I didn't like the end of 6 but there has been a lot of time sunk into it already. Had I known you would build up the relationships together only to take them away without a satisfying conclusion I wouldn't have started in the first place, so I'm glad you are letting people know about your next work so I can avoid that. Again, not what I"m looking for at all.

So I guess thanks for the renders and ch 1-6, was my favorite game on here for a good while, good luck in the future.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
Many of the posters above would disagree about it being well written... They've said repeatedly since the end of episode 6, that it's horrible garbage. I guess it could be similar in that it's in the Non-Incest niche (amazing that that's a niche...) and an actual story. I guess some just have an agenda to repeatedly smear a near finished product, where their complaints will hold no bearing on the authors direction. *sigh*:rolleyes:

I am in the camp of its a pretty good story with an author that wrote himself into a corner and couldn't find a way out. There is a reason Truck-Kun is made fun of so much in the manga/anime world, its a stupid fallback that is done when they need to make some conflict and cant figure out a good way to do it. He built up a really fantastic relationship over the course of 5 episodes, had no idea where to go with it and Truck-Kun'd one of his MC to try getting a respone out of people.

Reactions: fitgirlbestgirl

Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
I am in the camp of its a pretty good story with an author that wrote himself into a corner and couldn't find a way out. There is a reason Truck-Kun is made fun of so much in the manga/anime world, its a stupid fallback that is done when they need to make some conflict and cant figure out a good way to do it. He built up a really fantastic relationship over the course of 5 episodes, had no idea where to go with it and Truck-Kun'd one of his MC to try getting a respone out of people.
Welcome to club. Prepare to be told that reason you do not like story is for not liking emotion.

However you are wrong in what you say about story with PinkCake it was not writing of story into corner, it was opposite. Not fan in ways of bad twist. But twist was always in planning from beginning. Problem with DrPinkCake is that story he wrote does not work for twist he want. Or to not be mean, does not work for a lot of his fans after 6. DrPinkCake in QA has opinion that by Peter, by robbing in front of story, and Ana that enough thing was done to make fire natural. This is wrong. I am not first, and will never be last in saying that Peter, Dick, and robbery not actual threatening enough to counter the feel of humor and turn from romance into romance thriller. When I play, and others also say same, all villains are as jokes. Peter is made to be scary in episode 5, and episode 6, but game has complete joke about how many times MC hit him... surely he is not taken seriously.

So intention is that it was horror suspense the time entire with happy part to make characters cared about.

But biggest fail in game about choice of characters is that Leah, the killer ninja, has no thing to do with any character that is affected. if Peter had been setter of fire, then choice of one character can say was cause of deaths. Would not be good... but flow from action of Melissa to fire... could be a think to handle if she is survivor. Or thing for Megan to say she could have help more... if Megan live in stead.

But because fire is from Leah, and Leah has zero to do with girls in story, and MC can not to change action of Leah. Leah is instead monster. The burning of house and girls means nothing. It is not result of any choice or action of girls or MC. It does not come from their story. It is nothing but bad luck to be target of psychotic bitch. It mean nothing from story arc of Megan or Melissa. It mean nothing to story arc of MC, more than even if he did not to fucking her. Is not tragedy because tragedy comes from the action of the characters. It is not suspense movie, because suspense need information, and players are not given information. It is not thriller, because in thriller movie danger must be real for period of time to make It is horror movie. Leah is monster, and Megan and Melissa are victims as if to Jason from 13th Friday.

Reactions: IndigoHawk

Floga

Jun 30, 2018
I think it's really stupid of you to assume that. Doc has been repeatedly saying that he had the whole idea panned out right from the beginning. He even had the number of different endings known around the 3rd update. It's pretty obvious that the whole thing is meticulously planned. The choices and the branches in the earlier updates are still showing effect in the latest updates. So to tell he killed the characters just because he didn't know what was going is blatantly insulting t the dev.

4.60 star(s) 810 Votes