BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Chapter 14 WIP (update #3, 4)

163 of about 302 images and animations have been created for this chapter so far. Sorry for no update last week. When I got to work on Monday morning, we had no power, and after we got everything back on and the servers turned on, I had completely forgotten about doing an update. But here we are another week in, and we are over halfway to being finished with this chapter.

Stay safe out there.

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Trying this VN, but the text is a bit messy, I have to read some sentences multiple times to understand. English is not your mother language?
I was born and raised in the US, English is most definitely my native language. Is it yours?

• Haha
Reactions: JJDrakken

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
I am an English professor and writer, so I believe it is.
What I am saying is that the way the MC speaks is quite strange, maybe it's his trait....
I do live in Malaysia and I have picked up a few bad speakin engrish habits :cool:

Reactions: Exed010

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I am an English professor and writer, so I believe it is.
What I am saying is that the way the MC speaks is quite strange, maybe it's his trait....
As a self-professed English professor and writer, you might want to stop using comma splices. You also must not be American, because your use of quite would be pretty weird in the United States. That, or you're trying to sound pretentious. ;)

OnlyWorthyDevsMakeMoney

Oct 31, 2021
As a self-professed English professor and writer, you might want to stop using comma splices. You also must not be American, because your use of quite would be pretty weird in the United States. That, or you're trying to sound pretentious. ;)
Never said I was American ;)
Born and raised in a UK family, moved few years ago in Italy, so maybe I took some of their grammar peculiarities and implanted them into my English, but nevertheless, I can recognize when a text is not well written ;)

Reactions: Maddog820

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Never said I was American ;)
Born and raised in a UK family, moved few years ago in Italy, so maybe I took some of their grammar peculiarities and implanted them into my English, but nevertheless, I can recognize when a text is not well written ;)
I also never said you were American; I said you most likely are not, because using quite as you did is very rare / affected in American speech or writing. And I said that, if you were American, you were likely trying to be pretentious.

My point was just that, while you have the right to criticize however you want, touting credentials like an "English professor and writer" to promote your authority on a matter tends to get undermined when you make simple mistakes (like leaving off a period at the end of your last post). So if you've adopted some of the "grammar peculiarities" from Italy, maybe you could cut someone some slack when Bad Mustard's own English isn't the way you suppose it ought to be.

Did I notice mistakes in the language of Almost Dead? Sure, but we're all human. Acting like this is horribly written — especially when compared to many other games on this site — is an inaccurate reading IMO. If the use of language were so egregious, I wouldn't have enjoyed the game up to this point as much as I have. But I have really liked it, so obviously our perspectives and pet peeves differ. Anyway, I'm not going to belabor this any further.

Reactions: BadMustard

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Did I notice mistakes in the language of Almost Dead? Sure, but we're all human. Acting like this is horribly written — especially when compared to many other games on this site — is an inaccurate reading IMO.
I am open to correcting mistakes that are pointed out, whether they be annoying, glaring or egregious ones. (unless it's supposed to be there)

• Red Heart
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Xo Mo

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2020
Persistent SPRITE bug:
Both Q/A and Sara's sprite head stays up throughout Chapter 2 and beyond... They appear when no text is in the text box, when they are not even in the scene being played. They also cross-fade whenever a new character speaks, so MC speaks, then before the other character speaks, either the Q/A/Sarah sprite heads pop up for 1/2 a second before it shows the other character/MC sprite head.

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Persistent SPRITE bug:
Both Q/A and Sara's sprite head stays up throughout Chapter 2 and beyond... They appear when no text is in the text box, when they are not even in the scene being played. They also cross-fade whenever a new character speaks, so MC speaks, then before the other character speaks, either the Q/A/Sarah sprite heads pop up for 1/2 a second before it shows the other character/MC sprite head.
Yes I have seen this pop up, and I do not know why it does it. I blame Ren'Py completely because it's not consistent, it pops up in different places and sometimes it disappears. It does get in the save file so if it does NOT disappear then you have to start over to get rid of it. The side images are completely handled by Ren'Py.

BadMustard

Game Developer
Feb 5, 2021
Chapter 14 WIP (update #5)

215 of about 302 images and animations have been created for this chapter so far. Yeaah, update this week. There has been a lot going on in this chapter. There was some drama with Christe. We got some information about Sharon, and we have slept with both babysitters so far. There are three more stories to render before the end of this chapter.

Stay safe out there.

2.90 star(s) 33 Votes