3.50 star(s) 90 Votes

Steinchen

Mar 3, 2017
It's a waste of render-time to add fem characters who won't be LIs. Don't they have texture-less stock models just for extra characters who don't serve any purpose but story bloat?
yeah that would look just fucking great to have family members or models who is not an LI in the games story interact with the MC of the game then.
since the whole game is so good made image wise it would look really shitty.
it is something else if you put persons not involved storywise like in Retrieving the Past as common folks or non story relevant employes when nobody interacts with them.
and even that some devs do it only because it would be a pain in the ass to render an image with lets say 10 persons on that image.

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
It's a waste of render-time to add fem characters who won't be LIs. Don't they have texture-less stock models just for extra characters who don't serve any purpose but story bloat?
I guess it's a waste too to have male NPCs like Rob too, right? ;) As far as I know after having spent hundreds of hours talking to him, MrK tries to tell a story. So, seems like, to him it's not a waste of rendering time to add detailed NPCs. At some point in AE S1 he used untexturised blue and red character models in the background and got feedback from it. You can't please them all, you know.

What creative choices would YOU make if you were a developer... (That's a suggestion to think, not a question.) :unsure:

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Jesus H Christ! Don't you think that decision is up to the dev? Personally I liked them, made the MC seem more like a human being, having a family like that.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
yes there are for example white, grey and black "mannequins" but not many are fan of those.

tanmay4317

May 5, 2017
Could be an update for Win10 that may be causing the issue? But you will have to ask your internet service provider to check their side.

You can open command prompt in Administrator mode then do
sfc /scannow
this will check Windows for any errors. There are other command line command you can run, like DISM etc.
The 64x not working is an issue.
could it be some renpy version issue. my launcher is 8.0.3. is any 8.2 launcher available? if so can i get the link please.

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
could it be some renpy version issue. my launcher is 8.0.3. is any 8.2 launcher available? if so can i get the link please.
I wouldn't use 8.2.x with AE 1.9.x's code because they changed how text interpolation works. I'd guess there will be some errors coming if you do. We're using Renpy 8.1.3 in AE 2.2, but 8.0.3 should be working just fine in supported OS versions. If you want to try other Renpy version, try 8.1.3. Do other Renpy games work in your computer?

PS. .

tanmay4317

May 5, 2017
I wouldn't use 8.2.x with AE 1.9.x's code because they changed how text interpolation works. I'd guess there will be some errors coming if you do. We're using Renpy 8.1.3 in AE 2.2, but 8.0.3 should be working just fine in supported OS versions. If you want to try other Renpy version, try 8.1.3. Do other Renpy games work in your computer?

PS. .
yah some games works fine but some crashes. in some cases 64x version crashes but 32x works.

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
yah some games works fine but some crashes. in some cases 64x version crashes but 32x works.
Weird. Are all games that crash using the same Renpy version? Are other x64 programs having problems like games using Unity or UE? (I can't help you troubleshooting your OS because I'm using Linux. Made the switch in 2019.)

Did you run the command that Firebeast suggested? It looks like something I used once back in the day when my Windows 7 didn't play ball.

tanmay4317

May 5, 2017
Weird. Are all games that crash using the same Renpy version? Are other x64 programs having problems like games using Unity or UE? (I can't help you troubleshooting your OS because I'm using Linux. Made the switch in 2019.)

Did you run the command that Firebeast suggested? It looks like something I used once back in the day when my Windows 7 didn't play ball.
yah i ran the command. i downloaded the 8.1.3 sdk but how do i chose the game will use that version? as i see its ready to use type folder didn't find any installer. kind of lost here..

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
yah i ran the command. i downloaded the 8.1.3 sdk but how do i chose the game will use that version? as i see its ready to use type folder didn't find any installer. kind of lost here..
  • start the renpy launcher from renpy.exe.
  • in renpy launcher, go to preferences and check where your project directory is.
  • Then in explorer, copy AE to the project directory. Remove all folders and files so that game folder stays there. Also remove game/script_version.txt.
  • Then back in launcher, return back from prefences and choose the AE folder from the left column and click Launch project.
Edit: I'm going to bed. I wish you well.

tanmay4317

May 5, 2017
  • start the renpy launcher from renpy.exe.
  • in renpy launcher, go to preferences and check where your project directory is.
  • Then in explorer, copy AE to the project directory. Remove all folders and files so that game folder stays there. Also remove game/script_version.txt.
  • Then back in launcher, return back from prefences and choose the AE folder from the left column and click Launch project.
Edit: I'm going to bed. I wish you well.
the game is working with 8.1.3. i guess the problem is by default the games are chosing older version of renpy. how do i change it so that all the game chose 8.1.3 as default?

Aion_Abyss

Jul 28, 2020
Wow, I pissed off enough people to get 6 notifs

yeah that would look just fucking great to have family members or models who is not an LI in the games story interact with the MC of the game then.
since the whole game is so good made image wise it would look really shitty.
it is something else if you put persons not involved storywise like in Retrieving the Past as common folks or non story relevant employes when nobody interacts with them.
and even that some devs do it only because it would be a pain in the ass to render an image with lets say 10 persons on that image.
Who cares what it looks like? MC looks like a dumbass half the time being so creepy but being all "nah what's her face is my daughter, I can't do that shit to her after having a nightmare about being with her." Not sure what the point of that nightmare was either other than just teasing us

I guess it's a waste too to have male NPCs like Rob too, right? ;) As far as I know after having spent hundreds of hours talking to him, MrK tries to tell a story. So, seems like, to him it's not a waste of rendering time to add detailed NPCs. At some point in AE S1 he used untexturised blue and red character models in the background and got feedback from it. You can't please them all, you know.

What creative choices would YOU make if you were a developer... (That's a suggestion to think, not a question.) :unsure:
Yup, it is a waste of time to have male NPCs that serve no purpose in the story. And i'm pretty sure "MC talks to random stranger/friend/whoever-the-fuck about his life in the past [Insert time here]" is a trope that could be used less often. Why is MC talking to him about something he has nothing to do with anyway?

Jesus H Christ! Don't you think that decision is up to the dev? Personally I liked them, made the MC seem more like a human being, having a family like that.
Sure, but as with everything, being that this is a public forum the dev's decisions can be judged or complimented at other forum members' discretion.
yes there are for example white, grey and black "mannequins" but not many are fan of those.
I'm not either but I think it's a waste to hide the hottest character in that game behind a fabricated wall that the dev refuses to break when she could instead be a mannequin, in which case, I would not care

It's a waste of time to have story beside the sex scenes! Then also no other characters are needed, this is win - win! We both get what we want, Summer!
tenor.gif

Steinchen

Mar 3, 2017
Who cares what it looks like? MC looks like a dumbass half the time being so creepy but being all "nah what's her face is my daughter, I can't do that shit to her after having a nightmare about being with her." Not sure what the point of that nightmare was either other than just teasing us
well duh first off the dev cares about how it would look,and secondly the supporters who pays the dev money for his really good rendering artwork care about.
and last but not least every dev who has the same quality standard as Mr.Knobb would shoot himself in the leg with such a stunt and surely there would be a shitstorm boiling up and no dev would be so stupid to ruin his render images just to save a few minutes of rendering time.

not with the amount of work a dev like Mr.Knobb puts in his images.

best example for that is the ai supported Remake from Hard to Love and that shitstorm there is only because a few minor things in the renders are not looking good that half of the people would´t even notice.

Last edited:

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
the game is working with 8.1.3. i guess the problem is by default the games are chosing older version of renpy. how do i change it so that all the game chose 8.1.3 as default?
Short answer is no.
Longer answer: You can't change a game to use a sdk by default because every distribution (the zip file you downloaded and extracted) has a version of renpy that it was built on (in renpy and lib folders). I wouldn't suggest to do that either because some games use a certain renpy version for a reason similar to ours using 8.1.3 in AE 2.2.x. Other games might still use 7.x that are based on python2 and they might not work in 8.1.3.

Here's how you can make a renpy game to use renpy 8.1.3:
  • games: A is the game you want to become a renpy 8.1.3 game and B is the game that has 8.1.3 files in it)
  • find a game that uses 8.1.3 (look for file renpy/vc_version.rpy and see the version line) => this will be B
  • remove renpy and lib folders from A
  • copy renpy and lib folders from B to A
  • (If there's something else, I haven't changed libs in Windows. I do this almost every week to add missing Linux libs to win-only builds and that has another step.)
But, I would be more concerned about the operating system being broken because you're the only one (that I've seen) that has issues running a renpy version that's less than 2 years old (released in Sep 2022).

3.50 star(s) 90 Votes