Nov 21, 2017
Hey Headmaster1988, do you still care to work on the walkthrough? I liked how in-depth your stuff was, and you made it pretty damn well. If you wanted to continue, we'd definitely add you on a "Special Thanks" section in the credits by the time of the Redux.
I saw the remarks a few pages back and ran through the new Episode 7, which is the first I've touched the game since my last walkthrough. I have already started updating for the Episode, but have to revamp the Battle section since the upgrade to the game. Gimmie a week...lol

Reactions: Morah SDG

Morah SDG

Development Consultant & Revision's Supervisor
Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I saw the remarks a few pages back and ran through the new Episode 7, which is the first I've touched the game since my last walkthrough. I have already started updating for the Episode, but have to revamp the Battle section since the upgrade to the game. Gimmie a week...lol
No problem at all, was just greatly impressed by your comprehensive work. Just keep in mind that when the Redux comes out, that new combat system will be integrated into the whole game and will definitely have been modified based on user feedback from everyone. Great stuff and wanted to give props.

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
Not sure how combat is supposed to work.

You have block and intangibility (which is basically super-block) but... enemies attack every turn, and they don't seem to have any tells for the big powerful attacks, so... what's the point in negating damage when you'll need to attack eventually and eat the hits anyway?

For a while I thought the dragon had a tell for the green flame attack, (it opens it's mouth on some turns) but even if you turn intangible, she'll still spew fire on you next turn, with her mouth closed this time.

Only option seems to be just to take the hit.

Whole combat system feels... very hollow.

ReaCreations

Aug 7, 2020
Not sure how combat is supposed to work.

You have block and intangibility (which is basically super-block) but... enemies attack every turn, and they don't seem to have any tells for the big powerful attacks, so... what's the point in negating damage when you'll need to attack eventually and eat the hits anyway?

For a while I thought the dragon had a tell for the green flame attack, (it opens it's mouth on some turns) but even if you turn intangible, she'll still spew fire on you next turn, with her mouth closed this time.

Only option seems to be just to take the hit.

Whole combat system feels... very hollow.
only tells for the most part was then goin intangible cause you cant hit them while they are and they seem to always follow it up with a strong attack. pretty much if they go intangible then you do it to and you should be alright but you might wanna use the heath code cause of some of the harder fights
the most recent update overhauled the combat system to allegedly make combat easier but after usin it a bunch i still dont fully understand it and it just feels like it makes combat more difficult and more complicated then it needs to be, literally the only thing i like about the overhaul is we can make a team but that part of it wasnt even implemented yet >_<

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
only tells for the most part was then goin intangible cause you cant hit them while they are and they seem to always follow it up with a strong attack. pretty much if they go intangible then you do it to and you should be alright but you might wanna use the heath code cause of some of the harder fights
the most recent update overhauled the combat system to allegedly make combat easier but after usin it a bunch i still dont fully understand it and it just feels like it makes combat more difficult and more complicated then it needs to be, literally the only thing i like about the overhaul is we can make a team but that part of it wasnt even implemented yet >_<
Yeah, the intangiable thing is just "when they go intangiable, you should od the same"

And I just hit the new combat mechanic, and it's actually way worse.

Enemies (atleast in the tutorial fights) have VASTLY bloated hp values, so you have to spam even 'focused ray' your most powerful attack, up to three times to kill a mook, and over a dozen on Desiree.
The whole combat system is slow and clunkly, taking like a full second from when the enemy's animation finishes to you actually being able to select an attack.

Whole thing needs to be snappier. The UI needs to be larger and much clearer.
Having access to a self-heal is nice, but again you have the intangiability which is a useless ability if you can't tell when their instant-kill move is coming.

The original combat UI was way better. It was larger, clearer and turns didn't take so long.
You just need to actually add mechanics so there's something to do in that fight beyond just mashing your most powerful attack over and over, because all the defensive tools we're giving are worthless because we can't tell when we need to actually use them.

Give them a a special post to show when their most powerful attack is coming.
Or better yet, make all the big attacks charge moves, that take one turn to set up (including the pose) and then fire off the next turn, so you have time to respond to it.

edit: Oh, and all four enemies (three mooks and Desiree as a boss) in the new tutorial have access to a selfheal.
Get rid of that immediately.

Having to sit there and watch the enemies erase your hard-earned progress feels frustrating as shit.
I'm doing <200 damage a punch and she's just going to heal herself for 500+?
Just outright undo what took me three turns to do in one turn?

And I know that she doesn't have an mana-bar, like I do, so she'll just pop that move randomly and drag the fight out to multiple times as long as it should be?
Nah, fuck that.
Delete that move. Fluff it as something only danny can do because he's still half-human or something.

Something something vitality of the living, blah blah, bolstering his life-force or whatever.

Last edited:

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, the intangiable thing is just "when they go intangiable, you should od the same"

And I just hit the new combat mechanic, and it's actually way worse.

Enemies (atleast in the tutorial fights) have VASTLY bloated hp values, so you have to spam even 'focused ray' your most powerful attack, up to three times to kill a mook, and over a dozen on Desiree.
The whole combat system is slow and clunkly, taking like a full second from when the enemy's animation finishes to you actually being able to select an attack.

Whole thing needs to be snappier. The UI needs to be larger and much clearer.
Having access to a self-heal is nice, but again you have the intangiability which is a useless ability if you can't tell when their instant-kill move is coming.

The original combat UI was way better. It was larger, clearer and turns didn't take so long.
You just need to actually add mechanics so there's something to do in that fight beyond just mashing your most powerful attack over and over, because all the defensive tools we're giving are worthless because we can't tell when we need to actually use them.

edit: Oh, and all four enemies (three mooks and Desiree as a boss) in the new tutorial have access to a selfheal.
Get rid of that immediately.

Having to see their and watch the enemies erase your hard-earned progress feels like shit.
I'm doing <200 damage a punch and she's just going to heal herself for 500+?

Just outright undo what took me three turns to do in one turn?
And I know that she doesn't have an mana-bar, like I do, so she'll just pop that move randomly and drag the fight out to multiple times as long as it should be?
Nah, fuck that.
Delete that move. Fluff it as something only danny can do because he's still half-human or something.

Something something vitality of the living, blah blah, bolstering his life-force or whatever.
From what we've gathered, the new combat system isn't the best thing to experience to a lot of new people if you aren't familiar with it. But, I'm also glad we did it, cause it's allowed us to get all your feedback on what you don't like about it. I think once people the game over again and see the new content/experience the game we want it to properly play, people will have a better time with it. Just MHO of course, but I know that Epadder's heard a lot of what you guys have said and has already tweaked some variables. If you guys don't like it, just take heed knowing we're not planning on keeping it "bad". (y)

Reactions: ReaCreations

ReaCreations

Aug 7, 2020
From what we've gathered, the new combat system isn't the best thing to experience to a lot of new people if you aren't familiar with it. But, I'm also glad we did it, cause it's allowed us to get all your feedback on what you don't like about it. I think once people the game over again and see the new content/experience the game we want it to properly play, people will have a better time with it. Just MHO of course, but I know that Epadder's heard a lot of what you guys have said and has already tweaked some variables. If you guys don't like it, just take heed knowing we're not planning on keeping it "bad". (y)
good to know and sorry if my comment came off harsh, for better or worse i do agree the combat system did need an overhaul and i cant deny i see the potential in what yall are goin for and i do look forward to seein what yall do to improve and fine tune it.
on a side note any chance the next update will implement the team aspect and say possibly let me have desiree help me in battles? :3

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
Well, if it's feedback you're looking for, #1 with a bullet is 'add a tell (or a charge-start) to all the big powerful attacks that are intended to be dodged, otherwise the intangibility is worthless.

Second... basic attack needs to do way more damage, or enemies need less health.
I'm using octo-strike, and i'm barely doing anything. I can't imagine how bad it is without it.

Third: Spread-ray is an interesting idea. I normally love AOE attacks, but this one is worthless.
It does mediocre damage to one target, and chip-damage to the others. Most fights are 1v1, so it's broadly less useful than focused Ray, and when you do fight 3v1, you're not actually doing noticeable damage to the non-targeted enemies.

I don't know the numbers, but it feels like it does maybe 10-30% damage on the non-target enemies.
I blasted in the tutorial till I ran out of mp, but by the time the main target was dead, the other two were basically unharmed, so I immediately went back and picked the other ray option.

Maybe they healed, but either way, I fired at the whole group for three or four turns and everyone but the first guy was still on full-health at the end of it, which made the whole skill seem completely worthless.

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
good to know and sorry if my comment came off harsh, for better or worse i do agree the combat system did need an overhaul and i cant deny i see the potential in what yall are goin for and i do look forward to seein what yall do to improve and fine tune it.
on a side note any chance the next update will implement the team aspect and say possibly let me have desiree help me in battles? :3
We'll have to discuss when those elements should be brought in and how best to do it. I'll add it to my list of things to communicate to Epadder and Staff tomorrow. Thanks for checking up on that stuff, helps us keep track of things and focuses our efforts more. :cool:

Reactions: ReaCreations

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Well, if it's feedback you're looking for, #1 with a bullet is 'add a tell (or a charge-start) to all the big powerful attacks that are intended to be dodged, otherwise the intangibility is worthless.

Second... basic attack needs to do way more damage, or enemies need less health.
I'm using octo-strike, and i'm barely doing anything. I can't imagine how bad it is without it.

Third: Spread-ray is an interesting idea. I normally love AOE attacks, but this one is worthless.
It does mediocre damage to one target, and chip-damage to the others. Most fights are 1v1, so it's broadly less useful than focused Ray, and when you do fight 3v1, you're not actually doing noticeable damage to the non-targeted enemies.

I don't know the numbers, but it feels like it does maybe 10-30% damage on the non-target enemies.
I blasted in the tutorial till I ran out of mp, but by the time the main target was dead, the other two were basically unharmed, so I immediately went back and picked the other ray option.

Maybe they healed, but either way, I fired at the whole group for three or four turns and everyone but the first guy was still on full-health at the end of it, which made the whole skill seem completely worthless.
I'm pretty sure there are always visual indicators to the enemies stronger attacks, one just needs to look out for them. I'll compile a list of the ones I know of and post them here.

I'll otherwise pass along your notes. (y)

• I just jizzed my pants
Reactions: Fappyboy

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
I'm pretty sure there are always visual indicators to the enemies stronger attacks, one just needs to look out for them. I'll compile a list of the ones I know of and post them here.

I'll otherwise pass along your notes. (y)
Ember has a vague red outline, but it's not super obvious.
the big purple dragon has a bit where it's mouth opens, but if you avoid the fire-breath attack that follows, it'll just use it again next turn so it's unavoidable.
Any of the ones before that, I didn't notice.

Desiree in the new tutorial definitely doesn't seem to have one.

Liquid_Donut

Nov 7, 2019
Same here. Still waiting 7.5 walkthrough update :(
I apologize, cannot figure out quote + reply. But PhantomStranger said this:
"
Just start a new game from chapter 7.
The new content, in short, is the option to choose Desiree, Nurse Kate, Paulina or Star (and their respective quests) for the purpose of gathering orgone before the showdown with Ember, where before you could choose only Maddie and Sam.
That, and the reworking of the combat system. "

New Kid

Apr 2, 2018
Finally managed to finish playing this update, nice amount of new content despite the main story itself not actually advancing hahaha. Good to see you guys put in something to keep track of the buffs/debuffs, that helped a lot in the fight against the snake. The fights are pretty brutal and slower now, but it's a refreshing change compared to the breeze that was the older system where I could even beat the supposedly unwinnable fights with the right setup (believe me I tried to beat the first Ember fight now, managed to last until turn 28 or so but still failed, in the old battle system I could finish her in 3 lol) , and the orgone boost actually makes sense plotwise instead of being an optional single use double power attack. Being able to re-spec the build is a neat addition too, and people really should read the tutorial that tells you that when an enemy heals itself, you should brace for a power attack (maybe make that obligatory reading in the future versions?).

Gotta agree with the other people in a few points though, some enemies like Desiree use their super attacks more than once with a single charge, or the "charge" animation lingers and you think they will use it again but they do something else, sometimes it can cost a fight to take a laser to the face or waste a move. Also, as I said in a previous post, the focused laser is kinda useless with it's low power + ludicrous energy cost, the spread laser is simply superior because at least it can become a multi attack in the right fights like in the Star path.

Enjoyed the Desiree path a lot, she had tons of development here so I was a bit disappointed that her scene with Ember later stays the same despite if you asked her for the Orgone or not. Star was okay because it's pretty what you would expect of her, she showed at least a minuscule amount of empathy and concern so... it's progress I guess? Paulina kinda of seems that goes backwards if you go for her, she treats you as a tool just to get the tests answers and give your "reward" like it was just business, seems that the post-dance intimacy is gone somehow, but maybe I'm overthinking it. Also, why does all the paths assume that you took the girl you choose to get Orgone from to the dance?

Anyway, good work on the update!

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Also, why does all the paths assume that you took the girl you choose to get Orgone from to the dance?
Because technically, they would require it as of the moment. If you chose Desiree for the orgone this time, the character's like Star and Paulina would have had to have known who she was. Later down the line, we will add some "if/or" variant dialogue that will help determine whether or not the character would know them or not, so it can be either-or. But the dialogue Lostraven wrote involved Paulina and Star already having known who she was already.

So can you explain to me the changes you felt were made in the Desiree route that didn't reflect her behavior later on in the Ember storyline? That can also be some alternate dialogue that we change depending on your choices, but I don't know quite what you're referring to as an inconsistency right now. Thanks!

New Kid

Apr 2, 2018
Because technically, they would require it as of the moment. If you chose Desiree for the orgone this time, the character's like Star and Paulina would have had to have known who she was. Later down the line, we will add some "if/or" variant dialogue that will help determine whether or not the character would know them or not, so it can be either-or. But the dialogue Lostraven wrote involved Paulina and Star already having known who she was already.

So can you explain to me the changes you felt were made in the Desiree route that didn't reflect her behavior later on in the Ember storyline? That can also be some alternate dialogue that we change depending on your choices, but I don't know quite what you're referring to as an inconsistency right now. Thanks!
I see, thought it was a bug or something but it's future content then. About Desiree, it's not really an incosistency but more that nothing really changes despite if you ask her for orgone or not, she behaves the same and says the same lines either way. With everything that happens if you take her path in that event, one would expect that she would at least speak a bit higher of Danny and act a with little more intimacy when talking to Ember about him. Also, one thing that does come to mind is that when Ember asks her if she told Danny about the atrocities she commited in the Ghost zone and she says no, but if you do her Orgone route she actually starts talking about it with him at some point IIRC.

Reactions: BrothersKeeper

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I see, thought it was a bug or something but it's future content then. About Desiree, it's not really an incosistency but more that nothing really changes despite if you ask her for orgone or not, she behaves the same and says the same lines either way. With everything that happens if you take her path in that event, one would expect that she would at least speak a bit higher of Danny and act a with little more intimacy when talking to Ember about him. Also, one thing that does come to mind is that when Ember asks her if she told Danny about the atrocities she commited in the Ghost zone and she says no, but if you do her Orgone route she actually starts talking about it with him at some point IIRC.
She mentions that she's not good, but I don't think it was delved into. We might rescind that atrocities line though. Idk how heavy we want her fictional backstory to be, it's already pretty brutal in what we've laid out with the Sultan and the vultures and so on. Either that, or just make it less ghastly sounding and just "generally" horrific. lol

We'll definitely add some differing lines when I re-correct the Ember section of Episode 7 as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Kid and Grex
3.70 star(s) 60 Votes