VN Ren'Py Abandoned Angelica Origins Ren'Py Port [v0.6] [Kelo Games]

5.00 star(s) 4 Votes

Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
The only advantage from RPG maker over renpy would be to create an RPG system, but then, who the heck is playing those games for any RPG or fighting, to begin with? It only wastes time and is abysmal inferior to any dedicated RPG game, especially from triple A games.
Even if one wants to argue that RPG is a good thing, Japanese games have a plentiful amount of games to choose from. Western games cannot compete in this hybrid genre.

Insanely big maps are a problem, but it's not unintentional, when a dev makes you run for 3 minutes to reach to X location then immediately forces you to return to your starting area for another 3 minutes walk or waste time with any pointless mini-game, it's because the dev is wanting player's to waste time because they want to make people believe they somehow put hard work since their games take too long to complete, ofc it's just an illusion and pure BS. It's also the laziest and easiest way to create 'content' since it has no quality, thinking nor effort from their part.
Don't forget another valid point. RPGM is a lot easier to make games with as its RAD took does most of the work for an unskilled dev. Whereas Renpy you messing directly with the code yourself. Sure you (I do) might feel this is just as easy to learn for some people learning a language is much harder to learn than just leanring how to operate a creation tool...

That ain't exclusive to RPG however, even on renpy some devs create a needless nightmare maze, that requires a mindblowing amount of clicks to keep moving forward/backward, which ofc leads to time waste.

Every time I see any game following any of these patters I immediately drop it. Screw those people.
Yeah i've seen some pretty complicated RenPY games. To me that defeats the whole purpose of playing a VN. If i have to remember to go to x room at x time of day and... I try to keep such complications out of my ports :D

Manila Shaw pleaseeeee
I'm working on it, just finished day 3 last night, need to test. Probably won't release till completely finished... I doubt I'll get done before end of this month so expect it some time next month unless things get wicked busy in RL. with corona going around... Hopefully we can avoid that circus for a while longer...

Astriedax

May 15, 2017
Don't forget another valid point. RPGM is a lot easier to make games with as its RAD took does most of the work for an unskilled dev. Whereas Renpy you messing directly with the code yourself. Sure you (I do) might feel this is just as easy to learn for some people learning a language is much harder to learn than just leanring how to operate a creation tool...

Yeah i've seen some pretty complicated RenPY games. To me that defeats the whole purpose of playing a VN. If i have to remember to go to x room at x time of day and... I try to keep such complications out of my ports :D

I'm working on it, just finished day 3 last night, need to test. Probably won't release till completely finished... I doubt I'll get done before end of this month so expect it some time next month unless things get wicked busy in RL. with corona going around... Hopefully we can avoid that circus for a while longer...
Well, that's true, but if anybody wants to start doing something, or make a living from something, they need to do the very least minimal research. That includes how level design works for games. To put simply, even if one person is inexperienced at creating games, that doesn't excuse them to create gigantic empty maps and quests where the only objective is to walk for 5 minutes, and then immediately go back the original point, for no logic reason whatsoever.

Maps could be smaller, houses could be smaller, the overall design could be simpler.
A fast travel or simply an instant teleport from main menu to different areas could be added. Quests could actually have a meaning behind them, instead of walking for the sake of it.

If you really stop to think about it, some games only has a single main character, few support character, minimal amount of building with purpose and no real economy, but still have an endless amount of empty buildings and endless walking between zones, just because.

Worse of all, when a dev makes a gigantic map and make all buildings look the same, and have the objective to enter X building, without even showing where the building is or what is looks like... I mean it's just insane. And then after finding the maze, one have to walk all the way back.
Some mini-games are with the exact mindset from above, just to waste time.

Of course, RPG is easier to beginners, but some people don't really want to create good games at all, they want to create an illusion that they've done some real content, because their games take forever to complete, due all the above.

Yes, Renpy can suffer from similar problems. It ain't the engine specifically, it's the person behind level design which has to be blamed, however, I think Repny is overall better suited for H/Adult games in general, where RPG M is for hybrid H-RPG games.

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

EmirGok

May 22, 2018
Thanks everthing

Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Well, that's true, but if anybody wants to start doing something, or make a living from something, they need to do the very least minimal research. That includes how level design works for games. To put simply, even if one person is inexperienced at creating games, that doesn't excuse them to create gigantic empty maps and quests where the only objective is to walk for 5 minutes, and then immediately go back the original point, for no logic reason whatsoever.
I was mainly referrign to why some people choose to build in RPG rather than VN that suites their story better. Not their lack of decent level design :D... I agree, often I see a whole city one has to walk through with one line character or worse empty... then walk back instead of teleport the player on quest completetion. If it has no rpg value then it should be VN imo.

Kelo Games

Game Developer
May 24, 2017
Nobody is defending me, I have to do it myself as always, no problem.:coffee:

I'm started from zero, with the desire to create a game. The first easy thing I could learn was using RPGM. Yes, that's true and I can't deny it. I was just a guy like you trying random games. I can start learning renpy one day; why not?

Without a job, without PC knowledge, without the help of anybody, I created my game making a lot of sacrifices. I never received a lot of support, especially the first year and a half.

I was a fan of Lily of the Valley, Innocente lost, Kristi's revenge and Sara's Life. There are still a lot of RPGM games with a lot of patrons like Anna exciting affection,Alansya chronicles fleeting iris, Lida's adventures, Legend of queen opala series, the curse of pleasure, etcetera. (I like all of these games.)

Their threads are not full of RPGM haters' posts. Why you always choose my threads to talk about how much you don't like RPGM?

Honestly, I think I'm using RPGM more than a lot of them (Well some of them are PRO about RPGM, MY RESPECT!); I'm using RPGM a lot for the story, dialogues, animations, effects, emotes, I even added a couple of short minigames... well, I also start putting some sort of scripted fight (it's a quick and fast strip tease more than a fight). I mean, I think in my side I have points like:

1. My game is not only going from A to B;
2. My maps are very VERY small;
3. A quest menu is always telling you what to do;
4. I'm customizing the character (MANUALLY DRAWING) to show how they are dressed in the Images and Animations;
5. I'm removing starting from next update all pauses between text boxes (Faster skip and overall time to play it);
6. I'm always working to find everything to make the game better!

Guys, It's me who asked Phalzyr to create the Renpy version of my game. The reason are two: 1. Because I like to see my game made in different versions for all people. 2. With the hope to stop RPGM haters attacking my game and spamming my threads.

Now I have:
1. RPGM version.
2. Android version.
3. RenPy version.

Personally, I like both rpgm and renpy and I can enjoy games made with both of the engines.

So, why are you still talking about it?

Time-out, guys!

Try my game. Choose the version you like more. Write a comment (not insults), be civil and remember there are persons like me working thousand hours to create all of this.

PEACE AND HUGS!(y)

Mike.

PS: Walkthrough 0.5.1 is now free to share. Thank to all the people who are supporting me and helping me break the wall of 800 and 900 of support in the same month. Thank you all for this amazing month!:)(y)

Last edited:

Princess Groundhog

Nov 5, 2018
Nobody is defending me, I have to do it myself as always, no problem.:coffee:
I think the game is great, thank you! I played this first Renpy release and enjoyed it a lot. but I would never have played the RPGM version, though, I'm sorry. It's not about the quality of your game, it's the platform. I'm very sorry but I just cannot play those versions. I play these games (hopefully) for a good story with good characters and sexy situations. I don't need to walk around a town or a house, even sandbox games in Renpy make me bored, I never know what I'm supposed to do. Most of these games are a linear story with your choices influencing how it plays out and how your characters react to situations. These other gamey things overly complicate things.

I'm sure there are many people who have no issue with that or enjoy that, but I skip any games that's labeled RPGM. I am so excited, however, that these Renpy remakes are being made, because I understand there are lots of great games out there, such as this one, that I am missing otherwise.

So thank you both for this, I hope to see more of Angelica's adventures soon! :love:

Kelo Games

Game Developer
May 24, 2017
I think the game is great, thank you! I played this first Renpy release and enjoyed it a lot. but I would never have played the RPGM version, though, I'm sorry. It's not about the quality of your game, it's the platform. I'm very sorry but I just cannot play those versions. I play these games (hopefully) for a good story with good characters and sexy situations. I don't need to walk around a town or a house, even sandbox games in Renpy make me bored, I never know what I'm supposed to do. Most of these games are a linear story with your choices influencing how it plays out and how your characters react to situations. These other gamey things overly complicate things.

I'm sure there are many people who have no issue with that or enjoy that, but I skip any games that's labeled RPGM. I am so excited, however, that these Renpy remakes are being made, because I understand there are lots of great games out there, such as this one, that I am missing otherwise.

So thank you both for this, I hope to see more of Angelica's adventures soon! :love:
Thank you and I respect your taste and opinion. I'm happy you like the renpy version of my game. I made the first step asking for this version just thinking of players like you.

If you liked just day one, let me tell you that the story is the first thing in my game. I'm working to build a good story and good characters, especially my princess Angelica. She's the heroine of my heart! Creating this game helped me to be happy in a very sad moment of my life.

All good people like you are welcome in my chat discord to help me making this game great! :)

Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
You're welcome.

The very reason I started doing remakes was (even though I like playing RPGM) some of the RPGM games had way too much walking back and forth and thought that if that was taken out it could be enjoyed much more, as well as save anytime/rollback that renpy offers, makes it much simplier to undo an accidental click or see what would happen if another choice was made. :D

Kaioh81

Apr 18, 2019
You're welcome.

The very reason I started doing remakes was (even though I like playing RPGM) some of the RPGM games had way too much walking back and forth and thought that if that was taken out it could be enjoyed much more, as well as save anytime/rollback that renpy offers, makes it much simplier to undo an accidental click or see what would happen if another choice was made. :D
Hi, may you give me the Manila project with the code? I'd like to learn the ren'py codes of a game like Manila.
I'm curious to see the internal code of the ren'py project, please.

Last edited:

Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Hi, may you give me the Manila project with the code? I'd like to learn the ren'py codes of a game like Manila.
I'm curious to see the internal code of the ren'py project, please.
besides AO, i also have a port for elena's life and lily of the valley, elena has coding (though my own for side image rather than proper side images like i put in shaw... though i noticed an issue with doing it proper wise a glitch in renpy sometimes makes prev image stick and flash before showing new ones... sigh). You can start with those as far as looking at code. shaw simply has more if's and branching for example day 5 has an event that has 8 different outcomes depending on a previous choice (2 main branches) and 4 branches each within those... fun fun :D

Reactions: JokerLeader

Kaioh81

Apr 18, 2019
besides AO, i also have a port for elena's life and lily of the valley, elena has coding (though my own for side image rather than proper side images like i put in shaw... though i noticed an issue with doing it proper wise a glitch in renpy sometimes makes prev image stick and flash before showing new ones... sigh). You can start with those as far as looking at code. shaw simply has more if's and branching for example day 5 has an event that has 8 different outcomes depending on a previous choice (2 main branches) and 4 branches each within those... fun fun :D
how do I see the ren'py code from the game?

Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
how do I see the ren'py code from the game?
Go into the "game" subdirectory and open any .rpy file, scripts.rpy is where every renpy game starts, i tend to put a jump in there to a "Day".rpy file... I use a program called ATOM to edit them as it makes it easier and one of the editors renpy itself will suggest/dload for you. You can however look at those files in any text editor.

I never remove my pre-compiled scripts.. some people do and for those games you'd have to use a decompile tool like unren...

Last edited:

Kaioh81

Apr 18, 2019
Go into the "game" subdirectory and open any .rpy file, scripts.rpy is where every renpy game starts, i tend to put a jump in there to a "Day".rpy file... I use a program called ATOM to edit them as it makes it easier and one of the editors renpy itself will suggest/dload for you. You can however look at those files in any text editor.

I never remove my pre-compiled scripts.. some people do and for those games you'd have to use a decompile tool like unren...
I'll try. Thank you :)

Darkaxey

Nov 17, 2018
Thanks for working on this and the main game.
I'm just gonna put this out there, I'm more than half sure that the reason people enjoy renpy more than rpgm is simply that they (like me) can't figure out how to port saves from the last version lol

5.00 star(s) 4 Votes