Fn0309

Jan 13, 2018
More like a massive downgrade.

This game is slower than roundscape (massively slower), has no ways to quick save without breaking it (the p002 method will break the game), everyone here that get through the game are either cheat or used someone else's save. Every scene had no guides (KIWI is shit at her job, her guides are worthless) & you pretty much had to endlessly run around at snail speed to talk to npcs every single day with the hope of triggering something.

As you can read a few comments above, you can't even finish the game cuz of a major bug that trigger a loop. Nothing about this game is an improvement over roundscape other than the CGs, which I'm gonna be 100% honest with you: you may as well click on the picture folder to see them.

While roundscape was riddled with bugs, at least it didn't come out as a "completed" game. On the other hand, this game is labelled as "completed" on 1st released.
agreed

jems666

Jun 22, 2022
Roundscape feels like a much better game than this minus the art, I like the art in this more but the fighting and training is so damn boring in this theres no point playing through this empty world with nothing in it, spend 1-2 hours of your time for a few scenes here and there, so lame

HikkiG

Dec 12, 2020

This game is slower than roundscape (massively slower), has no ways to quick save without breaking it (the p002 method will break the game), everyone here that get through the game are either cheat or used someone else's save. Every scene had no guides (KIWI is shit at her job, her guides are worthless) & you pretty much had to endlessly run around at snail speed to talk to npcs every single day with the hope of triggering something.

As you can read a few comments above, you can't even finish the game cuz of a major bug that trigger a loop. Nothing about this game is an improvement over roundscape other than the CGs, which I'm gonna be 100% honest with you: you may as well click on the picture folder to see them.

While roundscape was riddled with bugs, at least it didn't come out as a "completed" game. On the other hand, this game is labelled as "completed" on 1st released.
That doesn't tell me much about Roundscape, just the issue you have with Arenus. Like yes I agree with most the issues you have with the game, but I am still curious about Roundscape. Over the years, before and after engine change, my only experience with it has been completely broken piece of shit where events did not trigger correctly (if at all), everything being too disjointed due to sandbox design (as I wandered through large and practically empty maps), and the game just throwing rewards and story-threads at you for barely doing anything. What has changed and what is good about Roundscape now (and compared to Arenus).
What did I miss out with Roundscape as of recent years, was there a massive development post-covid that vastly improved the game? Does the game even have an ending yet? Is it, and more importantly WHY is it, worth trying it out now after all these years? Because if Roundscape, after all these years has genuinely improved, I'd love to give it another chance and hopefully not get burned like I've been over the years of trying to give it a fair chance.

To me (with Arenus) the gameplay loop is a massive improvement, with clear set of goals and interactions. Are there aspects I dislike about it, like the bar mini-game slowing down the process or say lack of a helpful marker to alert you of new scenes to save player time from checking every corner, sure. It's far from perfect and understandably even more frustrating having to lose progress starting new game due to version changes.
I also vastly prefer the combat system over the more basic rpgm system roundscape had (both due to how unit building works, and how the combat flows).
The variety of content you can do in Arenus, both in town and outside of town, helps break up the pace of train and get ready for arena fights. The arena fights themselves tend to be varied and the ability to re-challenge said bosses is a great and fun aspect.
The smaller scale, and having to actually slowly build yourself up, is more appealing to me as well. Having everything connected through the hub, rather than thrown around the world, is an improvement to me.

Sharpen

Apr 19, 2020
I'm still early on my first playthrough, but I do not understand why people say Elona is weak. Her offense does leave a lot to be desired, but she's basically unkillable. She has a permanent 25% damage reduction that you only need to use once per combat, she can spam heal for as long as she has energy, and she can get a full bar of energy back just by using her turn. For the cost of one turn, she can basically fully heal herself.

I am not gonna say it makes her easy, and if the human character just plows through combat than I get why Elona is considered 'weak.' But to me it sounds like the human character is too strong. I beat the wolves first try and was only under 25% health once. Elona is all about pacing, healing, energy recovery, and setting up damage with her two offensive skills using the yellow bar gauge [forget what it's called]. If you just always pick the 'bonus healing/energy regen' [with the exeption of the first choice which is preference imo], I can't see how she can lose unless enemies scale much faster than she does.

EDIT: Just cleared the Bee no problem as well. Although since I am playing on hardcore, I probably should be losing to see the defeat screens...

Last edited:

anonym0u5

Jun 21, 2020
That doesn't tell me much about Roundscape, just the issue you have with Arenus. Like yes I agree with most the issues you have with the game, but I am still curious about Roundscape. Over the years, before and after engine change, my only experience with it has been completely broken piece of shit where events did not trigger correctly (if at all), everything being too disjointed due to sandbox design (as I wandered through large and practically empty maps), and the game just throwing rewards and story-threads at you for barely doing anything. What has changed and what is good about Roundscape now (and compared to Arenus).
What did I miss out with Roundscape as of recent years, was there a massive development post-covid that vastly improved the game? Does the game even have an ending yet? Is it, and more importantly WHY is it, worth trying it out now after all these years? Because if Roundscape, after all these years has genuinely improved, I'd love to give it another chance and hopefully not get burned like I've been over the years of trying to give it a fair chance.

To me (with Arenus) the gameplay loop is a massive improvement, with clear set of goals and interactions. Are there aspects I dislike about it, like the bar mini-game slowing down the process or say lack of a helpful marker to alert you of new scenes to save player time from checking every corner, sure. It's far from perfect and understandably even more frustrating having to lose progress starting new game due to version changes.
I also vastly prefer the combat system over the more basic rpgm system roundscape had (both due to how unit building works, and how the combat flows).
The variety of content you can do in Arenus, both in town and outside of town, helps break up the pace of train and get ready for arena fights. The arena fights themselves tend to be varied and the ability to re-challenge said bosses is a great and fun aspect.
The smaller scale, and having to actually slowly build yourself up, is more appealing to me as well. Having everything connected through the hub, rather than thrown around the world, is an improvement to me.
I'm not here to give you a preview on roundscape cuz I also left that game before it got completed (not a big fan of multiple artists), I'm more or less responded to your statements on how this game is an improvement of roundscape, which it really isn't. Also, I'm not speaking ONLY my experience of playing this game, I'm speaking for everyone on here.

The gameplay loop got stale after the 1st week cuz of how stupidly slow it is. And either the goals or the interactions had any directions like you've claimed. Like I mentioned, you have to go out & talk to every single NPC on the map every single day just to hope that you trigger an event. Ever heard of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over & expecting different results"? That's pretty much sums up this game perfectly. The training & fighting in the arena was never an issue, the difficulty was never an issue, you don't have to bring those up. It's the stale gameplay & various game breaking bugs that everyone here has problems with.

Keep in mind that unlike roundscape, this game is released as a finished/"completed" product that's 6-8 years in the making. Roundscape 1st released was still in alpha so of course it gonna have bugs.

moonblackhen

Jan 25, 2022
I suggest asking your questions about Roundscape in the Roundscape thread - you're more likely to get a proper answer there.

HikkiG

Dec 12, 2020
I'm not here to give you a preview on roundscape cuz I also left that game before it got completed (not a big fan of multiple artists), I'm more or less responded to your statements on how this game is an improvement of roundscape, which it really isn't. Also, I'm not speaking ONLY my experience of playing this game, I'm speaking for everyone on here.

The gameplay loop got stale after the 1st week cuz of how stupidly slow it is. And either the goals or the interactions had any directions like you've claimed. Like I mentioned, you have to go out & talk to every single NPC on the map every single day just to hope that you trigger an event. Ever heard of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over & expecting different results"? That's pretty much sums up this game perfectly. The training & fighting in the arena was never an issue, the difficulty was never an issue, you don't have to bring those up. It's the stale gameplay & various game breaking bugs that everyone here has problems with.

Keep in mind that unlike roundscape, this game is released as a finished/"completed" product that's 6-8 years in the making. Roundscape 1st released was still in alpha so of course it gonna have bugs.
I bring them up because I am trying to discuss what I found better about this game over Roundscape, but fair enough I'll stop here. Thank you for the reply and sharing your point of view.

Trampa

May 17, 2018
Can someone pls tell me where do i go in the eviron expedition? i tried every single tile around the smallest lake i see

Apr 18, 2020
I'm waiting for the finished game release (steam) once they figure it's good for public I'll give it a real shot after reading every thing hear, should really remove the 'Completed' tag imo.

As for Roundscape, I played a few years back and it seemed mostly fine, a few bugs, I never had anything that soft locked the main story or worse. Some of the late game story became super rail-roaded, but over all the writing improved to compensate (even if I preferred the choices.) And the narrative dissonance of I can kill a god but in the next continent every bandit and wolf are just as strong as demons in your country (Fantasy Asians are just built different I guess.)

As for what the dev team is doing next, this is NOT definitive and some of the stuff I same I'm pretty sure was speculation is
Finish this game(Steam) > separate team under same studio making Roundscape Gold (possible to release on Steam?)

After that I've only seen people guess but the will probably announce it after they see the steam reactions to this title. I've seen people say stuff about making new gladiators/DLC for this but once again, no proof to my knowledge.

hiroyto

Jun 4, 2017
Playing this game is a torture, why so many unskipabble repetitive stuff, seeing the same pixel art training/work is so boring, the elevator killed me, also holding the action button to do anything is bad game design at its finest, combat feels bad too, you train for absolutely nothing since it resets every fricking week, gave up after the first bronze fight with the healing lady and the game over.

Tontongundar

Sep 12, 2021
Playing this game is a torture, why so many unskipabble repetitive stuff, seeing the same pixel art training/work is so boring, the elevator killed me, also holding the action button to do anything is bad game design at its finest, combat feels bad too, you train for absolutely nothing since it resets every fricking week, gave up after the first bronze fight with the healing lady and the game over.
This ! Actually you got further than me, tried the game, did 2 weeks and gave up. I don't have the time nor the patience to complete this game, a shame since the art is pretty dope.
When I read the game supposedly have between 30 and 50 hours of gameplay, if 90% of the game is like watching, waiting and doing nothing I'm not gonna bother with it.

N1CKs001

Nov 12, 2021
My experience with Roundscape, for years, has been size bloated bugfest without direction... so I am curious what I missed with Roundscape. Actually is that game even finished? Because from my experience this game is a massive improvement and a shock as far as being made by same team.
Suggest going through with it again since its good, amount of content is good, not sure about the bugs since the nary encountered any my friend. Trust me in terms of content Roundscape has more, though, I'd wish they just stuck with one character story and build the character from there, you'd understand once you've played it

N1CKs001

Nov 12, 2021

This game is slower than roundscape (massively slower), has no ways to quick save without breaking it (the p002 method will break the game), everyone here that got through the game are either cheat or used someone else's save. Every scene had no guides (KIWI is shit at her job, her guides are worthless) & you pretty much had to endlessly run around at snail speed to talk to npcs every single day with the hope of triggering something.

I felt this yeah I feel this through the entire game!

And I feel that they could have all three gladiators, unless if you finish all three then you can manage all three of them (correct me if I'm wrong)

N1CKs001

Nov 12, 2021

The thing is Roundscape you do have a set goal, not sure if you have played it again now since it has like DLC content and such, but on a technical stand point Arenus is not a"Complete" game in comparison, once more I would like to explain but it is better to experience it. Its the same objective throughout the story, while it maybe fun there is no variation. I thought at one point this was gonna be a management game, but its not, just only a small aspect of it. Sure training your gladiator again is good but there is no actual progress of them getting stronger its just getting 24 on Mind, Power, Agility, Endurance for a minute I myself assume this is how you'd level your gladiator, improving their current stats and going beyond that that's what training is suppose to be improving your current stats, but no it just damnable resets it!

As for the shops, nothing about it is appealing in the sense that you are not getting much out of them like say an actual sponsorship or better improvements.

Still gonna finish the game just to check if by chance if you finish all three you can manage all three since so far I believe you have manage all three gladiators and would made the game far more interesting

N1CKs001

Nov 12, 2021
I'm still early on my first playthrough, but I do not understand why people say Elona is weak. Her offense does leave a lot to be desired, but she's basically unkillable. She has a permanent 25% damage reduction that you only need to use once per combat, she can spam heal for as long as she has energy, and she can get a full bar of energy back just by using her turn. For the cost of one turn, she can basically fully heal herself.

I am not gonna say it makes her easy, and if the human character just plows through combat than I get why Elona is considered 'weak.' But to me it sounds like the human character is too strong. I beat the wolves first try and was only under 25% health once. Elona is all about pacing, healing, energy recovery, and setting up damage with her two offensive skills using the yellow bar gauge [forget what it's called]. If you just always pick the 'bonus healing/energy regen' [with the exeption of the first choice which is preference imo], I can't see how she can lose unless enemies scale much faster than she does.

EDIT: Just cleared the Bee no problem as well. Although since I am playing on hardcore, I probably should be losing to see the defeat screens...
Just download the mod my friend and yes Elona is cool, she's my first gladiator cause her stats and her "stats" are good for a good first playthrough

N1CKs001

Nov 12, 2021
My experience with Roundscape, for years, has been size bloated bugfest without direction... so I am curious what I missed with Roundscape. Actually is that game even finished? Because from my experience this game is a massive improvement and a shock as far as being made by same team.
I came, not like that, when it had all the content so my view maybe different than yours. I'd say content wise it has more in terms of quantity and a more cast of characters that you can interact and romance (though only some since you'd need to be of a certain gender and a bit on background class) it feels more of a traditional adventure game than this. I'm guessing they were going with a hybrid of Management sims and somewhat RPG Cyberpunk dystopia and may have flew too close to the sun.

Game play and system-wise Roundscape is better, though there are improvements such as the retro art and art but that only counts for a small portion. The overall experience coming from playing Roundscape to this is staggering and I've played their other game Below the Sunshade and that game had a better overall quality content that this with a better set goals and objective.

I had expected that they would improve and build upon what they did with roundscape in terms classes, story, and characters but no this game is very grindy and at times disappointing.

But that's just me, best to play the game again, though I am in agreement that the art style and art direction is a massive improvements I just wish they improve more than just the art

3.20 star(s) 36 Votes