xortor

May 3, 2018

Artemis DevLog - CH5

Happy Monday all!

This week was fairly short for me with the holidays and visiting family. Though I still managed to get some things done.
While away, I had some time to mess around. I tested Artemis on a laptop with a controller. Not sure how many of you play on a controller, but I actually enjoyed playing a VN on a controller. Some pain points I took note of were the menus. The Archives, DataLeaks and pretty much anything that's an interface had some issues using the D-Pad. I managed to fix the Archives>DataLeaks menus and will be applying those fixes to the other menus for easier navigation. For those who play on a controller, I coded it so you can use the "B" button to exit a menu. I will work through all the menus, including the phone. For SteamDeck owners, it should work the same.

The "Configuration" menu may get a revamp since that one was the most troublesome to navigate on a controller.
On the Steam build, I didn't work on it at all this week. But just took note of achievements. I don't plan on there being many for Book One. I'm pretty set on only being about 25-27 achievements. Two of them are freebies. One triggering when you sign the contract where you enter MC's name. Another one is kind of secret. But the rest you will have to do certain things to unlock the achievement. Though I tried not to make it too difficult.

SHIRTS! Guys, I know I've been saying this since Christmas last year. But I have the designs ready. I've just been stubborn on which distributor to go through. I want quality, meaning both the material and print are well-made. But this week, I'll be looking into a couple that I have bookmarked and just setup a shop and order a shirt to see for myself before announcing it to you guys.

The main shirt design is one I had commissioned for DJ Kink's "World Tour" shirt. Earlier this year, I asked you guys to drop a state/province/country and I'll add it to the back design. Just a fun way to include you guys. I will try to add as many as I can without the design looking cramped. You can check out my post about it here and add yourself if you wish to participate.

As far as Chapter 5 development goes. I started converting the outline to dialogue in the script last week. This week, I'm going to work more on the script and begin gathering the locations and other assets needed to start rendering scenes.
That wraps it up for this DevLog!

Have yourselves a great week!

-digi.B

Adalace

Jun 19, 2020
EDIT: The artifacts I saw were only present in early game renders. Now that I'm farther into the game the images are much higher quality. No problem!

[Original post:]
Is it just me or are there what appear to be major compression artifacts in the images? I'm surprised that the quality isn't higher than what I'm seeing for a 10+ GB game.

I love this game and support it on Patreon, and story is more important than graphics for me — I don't intend to complain. I just want to confirm whether I'm playing the highest quality version available.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Polyphem

ploper26

Mar 15, 2019
Just finished chapter 4. The music at the beginning of the Halloween party (after the heli) is "Digital Demons" by DJ Kink in game files (ch4.track41.mp3). Anyone knows if this was a commissioned piece for the game, or is it just something else re-labelled ? Cause it's really nice.

Reactions: Ghosty99

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Just finished chapter 4. The music at the beginning of the Halloween party (after the heli) is "Digital Demons" by DJ Kink in game files (ch4.track41.mp3). Anyone knows if this was a commissioned piece for the game, or is it just something else re-labelled ? Cause it's really nice.
I know there's currently a few commissioned pieces, and considering he had to pull most of the Kink music from the first three chapters, it probably is.

Sh0gvn

Dec 19, 2021
devlog.jpg
Happy Monday all!

Just a small update on CH5 progress. Looking at the scene outlines, CH5 is at 14 scenes so far and that's after some major revisions of scene layouts. Slightly concerning seeing how I'm trying to keep CH5 as contained as possible and not let scenes get too bloated. And there are still many scenes planned, so I need to review CH5's flowchart again and see if there are any places I can condense a bit more. I already know how this chapter will conclude and how I want to get there, I just don't wish to cut too much fat. Because fatty foods are pretty tasty. But I am satisfied with the opening scenes I've already written dialogue for and set up. So, as planned. I'm putting the script aside for now as I've got enough scenes to start doing renders with. Gives my brain some room to breathe and settle before shifting back to writing/working out scenes or their outlines. I also revised some scenes, tweaking the dialogue and reworking the story flow.

My focus for this week will be to start pumping out some renders. Return to back to the script in a few weeks.

I also did a bit of work on CH4's last patch. Just a few more things to tweak before that's final.
Also thanks a bunch for helping fill out DJ Kink's World Tour venues for the shirts. Really fun project and I look forward to seeing this one finally complete.

And lastly, just a reminder that the music will be fully removed from Artemis, aside from tracks used in CH4. This is set to happen when CH5 update comes. For those not in the know about the situation, I used Artlist and Epidemic Sounds both of which state in their Terms and Conditions that music cannot be used in any projects involved with any adult content. Which is sad, but also great for me. I'd much rather have a composer create music tailored for scenes. Versus trying to sift through music that fit my scenes. If you've enjoyed any of the tracks featured in Chapters 1-3, I made a playlist on Spotify some time ago.

That's it for now!

Have yourselves a great week!

-digi.B

NeoEros

Feb 23, 2022
Finally found some time to play Ch.4 and man what an amazing update both for story progression and relationship development. That imaginative scene where Cass being kicked out of the window is just too funny. My worry from Ch.3 was confirmed in this update: Koko would be the target of the Hunter team (mostly for Cass's sake), and the home invasion scene at the end already sounded the alarm for immediate confrontation in Ch.5 as the house security system was activated and the invader was thus locked in the living room. Ch.4 really did a fantastic job in establishing Cass as a complicated antagonist -- manipulative, cunning, would do everything possible to gain profit or save her own ass, other than someone who is just evil because why not. It just bugs me whether digi considers Cass as LI after Ch.4 though. Personally I don't feel like she "deserves" a redemption arc after all the shit she fucks over MC but seeing that you still could get points from her makes me wonder if her "route" is possible.

4.80 star(s) 378 Votes