Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
so i havent tried this since the rpgm version (which was great btw, wasnt a huge fan of the idea of switching, but not my decision), and now i see it has the VN tag up there. is this a straight visual novel now? make choices and click through dialogue? or does it still have the searching for stuff and exploring and shit.... you know, all the stuff that makes it a game. just wondering, because i was stupidly impressed with the rpgm version, and want to know what level of excitement i should feel if the game progresses....

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
so i havent tried this since the rpgm version (which was great btw, wasnt a huge fan of the idea of switching, but not my decision), and now i see it has the VN tag up there. is this a straight visual novel now? make choices and click through dialogue? or does it still have the searching for stuff and exploring and shit.... you know, all the stuff that makes it a game. just wondering, because i was stupidly impressed with the rpgm version, and want to know what level of excitement i should feel if the game progresses....
Ren'Py games are visual novels, by definition:
Ren'Py is a visual novel engine...

This is a much better engine for the game than RPGM, which is a Role Playing Game Maker. This isn't a roleplaying game. RPGM is good for game with exploration, player stats and levels, etc. That's not what this game is.

Reactions: HornyTranschicken

"CJ"

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 6, 2021
Ashes [v0.12_Alpha] [Sine nomine]crunched

Original / Compressed Size PC*: 907 MB / 167 MB - Ashes-0.12_Alpha-pc-crunched.zip
Original / Compressed Size Mac: 871 MB / 132 MB - Ashes-0.12_Alpha-mac-crunched.zip

Download (PC*/Mac): - -

(y)L O A D 'n' L I K E - If you L O A D it then L I K E it!(y) If not, like it anyway! (y) Thanks! ;)

This compression is unofficial and untested, use at your own risk.
Compressing process reduces quality and can break the game.

*PC = Win+Linux

Tools:
UnRen v0.91 (Sam@f95zone) - YAC v3.1c (hngg@f95zone) - -

Last edited:

Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
Ren'Py games are visual novels, by definition:

This is a much better engine for the game than RPGM, which is a Role Playing Game Maker. This isn't a roleplaying game. RPGM is good for game with exploration, player stats and levels, etc. That's not what this game is.
so then it did change completely. because the original game was exploration, etc. had to go search through a house for clues. look in the sewers for evidence. depending on which characters you approached and spoke to in which order the solutions to outcomes changed. implementation of a weapon was early, but was setting up for some combat that the demo didnt reach yet. and apparently never will. etc. very much a role playing game. exactly what this game was, apparently. meaning that renpy is not the better engine for the game, the game changed to fit renpy. sadness. although in general, renpy is a much worse engine for any game, because games become a lot less "game-y" when renpy is involved, which was why i was not a fan of the switch.

either way, thanks for the response, i guess? as an aside, i do find it mildly insulting that you assume i dont know what rpgm is, and think im dumb enough to not be able to tell that the game started out as a rpg vs a visual novel, considering the entire basis of my original post was asking if it had changed away from all of those elements. but dealing with people on the internet, i can understand why you would assume everyone is stupid right off the hop, so i wont hold it against you.

good day sir.

Reactions: DarkMiros

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
I played the newest update and it was pretty good but did close the game when I got to the fight scene and clicking resist just popped up a work in progress message so I'll play again when it's been implemented.

Vyacheslav Grinko

To spoiler a image click the ... next to the flag icon and select spoiler then put image in the spoiler.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
so then it did change completely. because the original game was exploration, etc. had to go search through a house for clues. look in the sewers for evidence. depending on which characters you approached and spoke to in which order the solutions to outcomes changed. implementation of a weapon was early, but was setting up for some combat that the demo didnt reach yet. and apparently never will. etc. very much a role playing game. exactly what this game was, apparently. meaning that renpy is not the better engine for the game, the game changed to fit renpy. sadness. although in general, renpy is a much worse engine for any game, because games become a lot less "game-y" when renpy is involved, which was why i was not a fan of the switch.

either way, thanks for the response, i guess? as an aside, i do find it mildly insulting that you assume i dont know what rpgm is, and think im dumb enough to not be able to tell that the game started out as a rpg vs a visual novel, considering the entire basis of my original post was asking if it had changed away from all of those elements. but dealing with people on the internet, i can understand why you would assume everyone is stupid right off the hop, so i wont hold it against you.

good day sir.
The game originally didn't have exploration, or skills, or levels, or combat, or any of the characteristics of a role-playing game. You can search the rooms, contact the people, etc in this version just as easily as in the RPGM version, without all of the click-click-click to just walk from one place to another. I'd say that, no, you don't now what a role-playing game is if you think that a game that's made with RPGM is a role-playing game by definition.

Traditional role-playing video games shared five basic elements:
  • The ability to improve your character over the course of the game by increasing his statistics or levels.
  • A menu-based combat system with several choices of skills, spells, and active powers as well as an active inventory system with wearable equipment such as armors and weapons.
  • A central quest that runs throughout the game as a storyline and additional (and usually optional) side quests.
  • The ability to interact with elements of the environment or storyline through additional abilities (e.g. lockpicking, disarming traps, communication skills, etc.)
  • The existence of certain character classes that define the characteristics, skills, abilities, and spells of a character (e.g. wizard, thief, warrior, etc.)
Modern and hybrid RPGs do not necessarily have all of these elements, but usually feature one or two in combination with elements from another genre.

The game as originally, and currently, presented has only the third element. That's why I think that Ren'Py is the superior system, because it doesn't have all the baggage that RPGM includes to accomodate role playing.

Reactions: Kmon13
5.00 star(s) 6 Votes