4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Cro

May 10, 2017
Read this topic first, kinda liked the dev and how he deals with the situation and then ... I played the game.
Since I'm a fast reader and use space/ctrl ... took me 2 minutes to finish it. WTF ?

Dude, really, I know you worked your ass on this and paid a huge electric bill, but this is not even an tech demo, how can you say 0.6 ? It's short, it's like every other renpy/vn game out there and nothing really happens.
You wasted your time rendering a lot of useless images, you need to rethink this. I absolutely loved the images with a car wheel full screen ...

Anyway, here's my 2 cents if you want to continue this and make some $ on the way:

- stop doing a 100% standard Ren'py shit. Everybody is tired of the same models, same backgrounds, same bad lighting and resolution. RPGMaker games are dying, (standard)Ren'pys are next
- and here comes the most important thing: take a look at the Popular Section. What do those games have in common ? I'll tell you... they are games. Not VNs, or some mildly interactive VN where you have 1-2 stats with some girls.
No, people want games where you can do stuff, go places, think what to do next, some minigames, bit of grinding and so on.
Look at everything you can do in games like BigBrother (at least the first versions), SummertimeSaga, The Twist, Man of the House, even some RPGMaker games are great there, because they actually add the "game" element. My New Life, Peasant's Quest, GF Amnesia, to name a few.
So, if you want to make enough money to pay the electric bill, stop doing a standard VN with a bit of interactions and options, that's not the way to go. There are way too many of these.
Another game that comes to mind: Holiday Island. Ren'py like you, but man, you can't really compare those, even if you'd work for another year on this you'd never reach that kind of playability.

So, enough ranting, hope you understood my point, which is quite simple: ditch the VN style and make a (adult) GAME.
Otherwise, this will never work, as someone already said before, there are way too many of these already.

robbinrobbie

Aug 8, 2017
While @Cro is blunt, he's correct. There are so many VNs out there right now and only a few are very successful. Even though most games end up being the same basic formula in the end, most people want to feel like they control the main character. Like their decisions or actions are the reason why they got to the happy ending. Even though so many games require a walkthrough to get there, and repeating the same events over and over again to progress, those are the ones that make money.

mastacheata

Aug 22, 2017
While @Cro is blunt, he's correct. There are so many VNs out there right now and only a few are very successful. Even though most games end up being the same basic formula in the end, most people want to feel like they control the main character. Like their decisions or actions are the reason why they got to the happy ending. Even though so many games require a walkthrough to get there, and repeating the same events over and over again to progress, those are the ones that make money.
But a VN is way easier to create than an actual game.
Most of what you guys consider to be "games" are just VNs with little situational choice and no complex different storylines.

Just take a look at how much time SpicyOtaku took to get even the first 20-30 minutes intro of his game done.
Even people with long experience in the video game industry struggle to get their games done (As a good example see: Star Citizen - over 120 million USD funding, 5 years in development, still alpha, single player campaign not yet released)

If you ever tried to build your own game or just do proper 3D rendering, you'll notice that even working full time you'd have a hard time getting enough content released in time.

robbinrobbie

Aug 8, 2017
But a VN is way easier to create than an actual game.
Most of what you guys consider to be "games" are just VNs with little situational choice and no complex different storylines.
Exactly my point! They are all visual novels - it's just the illusion of "gameplay" that people seem to like. Everyone experiences the same storyline in all of these games. If you don't play Dating my Daughter the right way, the game is just over, so you need to make the right choices to get to the sexy scenes. If you play it the "right way" it's no different than these less popular VNs.

Big Brother and Man of the House are also perfect examples. Both good VN games that I enjoyed, but you need to grind/cheat and/or follow a walkthrough to see all the scenes. A visual novel just gives them to the player without the need to grind - that's why I like My Sister My Roommate, Freeloading Family, and this one. No bullshit grinding or the need to use a walkthrough to tell you that you need to be at a certain place at a certain time to unlock a scene that you need to progress in the game. These less popular VNs are easier to make and easier to play, but it seems like the market rewards devs that make their game a grind. And it sucks.

Reactions: T800
U

User_10739

You need to start a new game due to variables. The missing variable is caught1 = deleted but typing that in the console starts a whole other problem.

Just start new game and use the skip, it won't take long.

Reactions: spicyotaku

spicyotaku

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
I'll address the issue around it being a VN first.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As for the project potentially going under, that isn't going to happen. The game files will never be deleted and I will do everything in my power to complete it. It'll just have to be put on hold until my financial situation improves. I've applied for 11 new jobs today alone. All better paying. I've even applied for a position that is basically wiping old people arses in a home (sanitation technician). Might end up being a very fulfilling position but still not something that sounds nice.

This is a hobby for me. It's just very sad that when I delve in to the hobby in a serious manner that it suddenly becomes so expensive. It ties my hands. The only justification I had for it was that it paid for itself. Now it's become apparent that that wasn't the case after all. It would have been cheaper to go out and have a social life.

I am under no illusion that people will suddenly come out of the woodwork and start financially supporting the project. It is not your duty to fund my hobby. I don't blame anyone other than myself for the predicament I have found myself and nobody is more unhappy with this result than myself. Should the allotted time pass and the project gets placed on hold then don't worry. Assuming Gender WILL return.

And as for those errors @horusrage , I'll look in to them. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

spicyotaku

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Advising of the Errors.
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1773, in <module>
NameError: name 'caught1' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "lib/windows-i686/script.rpyc", line 1773, in script
  File "C:\Users\Horusrage\Downloads\AssumingGender-0.06-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1681, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "C:\Users\Horusrage\Downloads\AssumingGender-0.06-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1794, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\Horusrage\Downloads\AssumingGender-0.06-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1788, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1800, in <module>

Full traceback:
  File "lib/windows-i686/script.rpyc", line 1800, in script
  File "C:\Users\Horusrage\Downloads\AssumingGender-0.06-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1681, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Horusrage\Downloads\AssumingGender-0.06-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1794, in py_eval
  File "C:\Users\Horusrage\Downloads\AssumingGender-0.06-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1788, in py_eval_bytecode

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
These two crashes occurred during the supposed blowjob. Once the 2xignore is done it reverts back to the main menu.
Errors within the game due to the caught1 variable are because that variable never existed until this release. Saves from previous versions will not work correctly with this release.
My apologies. This issue never even crossed my mind. The game is still so short that I never envisioned anyone would copy saves. I dropped the ball on this one. You should have been properly notified of this new change.

Deadlyreaper

Nov 20, 2017
so downloading and unpacking takes longer than the "Game" so after now version 04.05 and now 06 not
more than 2 or 3 min playing time is really not funny anymore I really wanted to give the game a chance but that will be harder and harder that something else? my next update again 30 sec more or how?

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
so downloading and unpacking takes longer than the "Game" so after now version 04.05 and now 06 not
more than 2 or 3 min playing time is really not funny anymore I really wanted to give the game a chance but that will be harder and harder that something else? my next update again 30 sec more or how?
V. 0.0.6 Alpha.

King Monkey Mon

The Perverted King of The Harem Masters
May 16, 2017
Advising of the Errors.
Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "lib/windows-i686/script.rpyc", line 1773, in script

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "lib/windows-i686/script.rpyc", line 1800, in script

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
These two crashes occurred during the supposed blowjob. Once the 2xignore is done it reverts back to the main menu.
it happen to me as well but w/e i only consider this game as a past time

spicyotaku

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
If you are referring to the difference between V0.05 and V0.06 then that is made up of 79 new images. Each image can take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes to render alone. So if we average it out, that's 60 minutes (1 hour) per render. 79 hours spent creating content. That isn't including the time it takes to set the scene. Then you have script writing and bug checking.
I am an adult male who is the sole provider within my household. I hold down 2 jobs. I'm very sorry if you think I am slacking off but there just isn't enough hours in the month for me to work 2 jobs, get enough sleep and create enough content to match the release sizes of other games.

spicyotaku

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
it happen to me as well but w/e i only consider this game as a past time
The "caught1" error is due to the inclusion of the caught1 variable being added to the game.
Basically, when you are in the locker room with the blonde girl, you are either caught peeking or you are not. At that point of the game, it now stamps your play through with a yes or a no. Then at the blowjob scene, it asks the play through if you are stamped with a yes or a no and changes the plot depending upon the answer.
Now this is where the problem comes in. If you are using a save file from a previous version that starts AFTER the locker room scene, you won't have that stamp as it was only added to the game in V0.06.

In other words, if you wish to correct the error, you'll need to start again I'm afraid. Sorry.

Andarilho

Apr 11, 2017
If you are referring to the difference between V0.05 and V0.06 then that is made up of 79 new images. Each image can take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes to render alone. So if we average it out, that's 60 minutes (1 hour) per render. 79 hours spent creating content. That isn't including the time it takes to set the scene. Then you have script writing and bug checking.
I am an adult male who is the sole provider within my household. I hold down 2 jobs. I'm very sorry if you think I am slacking off but there just isn't enough hours in the month for me to work 2 jobs, get enough sleep and create enough content to match the release sizes of other games.
Some people just really think that set up a scene on Daz is magically simple. They forget about the posing, render time, trial and error for lightning...

spicyotaku

Donor
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
@spicyotaku
The game is very well written. My inner grammar Nazi was crying tears of joy :'( (seriously). The humor was spot on. Kudos!
It's always great to hear feedback like this. I can't take all of the credit though.
The game goes through a rudimentary quality control period. It is compiled and sent out to the translators (As an early release thank you) and to a friend a day or two before the public release. I get feedback from them relating to any bugs or grammatical errors I may have missed or possible improvements upon the script to allow for easier understanding by non-native English speakers. It is not unusual for there to be a couple of mistakes to correct before a final compile for public release.

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote