4.20 star(s) 111 Votes

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
Oh no, I almost feared it after reading the changelog. But for me this is no longer the game Avalon as I knew it.

Before: One big decision, but then telling the great story in your KN.

Now you are torn out of the game with what I think are stupid questions. A pity, the game tries now to be a VN.... For me just the smooth story telling was the biggest strength of the game, that's now gone with these questions and the thinking of the player in the game, not to klick wrong answers.
I have stopped in the middle of Act 2 now, unfortunately I have lost interest.

Of course nevertheless good luck with your game, to judge by the comments here this change is well received by the others or was it somehow wished for. Maybe I will try it onesmore after some time, we'll see.

Last edited:

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Oh no, I almost feared it after reading the changelog. But for me this is no longer the game Avalon as I knew it.

Before: One big decision, but then telling the great story in your KN.

Now you are torn out of the game with what I think are stupid questions. A pity, the game tries now to be a VN.... For me just the smooth story telling was the biggest strength of the game, that's now gone with these questions and the thinking of the player in the game, not to klick wrong answers.
I have stopped in the middle of Act 2 now, unfortunately I have lost interest.

Of course nevertheless good luck with your game, to judge by the comments here this change is well received by the others or was it somehow wished for. Maybe I will try it onesmore after some time, we'll see.
There are no wrong answers. The additional choices are really just additional jokes. I recommend rolling back and viewing all of them. They’re hilarious.

People sometimes get a little dreary from just clicking through a story. Sometimes it helps to have something for them to do. And this was the perfect option for me. The choices don’t alter the game but you get additional dialogue that’s fun to see what else the character may have said.

There is one new choice that changes the game for people who dont like sharing and that’s Polygamy or Monogamy. It’s pretty clear cut, mono means Ava and Byron are exclusive to each other and Poly means they bring in the side girl into the relationship. But polygamy was how the game was designed to be played.

Last edited:
Reactions: KoGa3

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
There are no wrong answers. The additional choices are really just additional jokes. I recommend rolling back and viewing all of them. They’re hilarious.

People sometimes get a little dreary from just clicking through a story. Sometimes it helps to have something for them to do. And this was the perfect option for me. The choices don’t alter the game but you get additional dialogue that’s fun to see what else the character may have said.

There is one new choice that changes the game for people who dont like sharing and that’s Polygamy or Monogamy. It’s pretty clear cut, mono means Ava and Byron are exclusive to each other and Poly means they bring in the side girl into the relationship. But polygamy was how the game was designed to be played.
Thanks for your explanations. Maybe I just need some distance from the game and after some time I might even like it better than before. Only right now it just feels like a different game. As you have already described, I'm supposed to try everything possible - that's exactly what did NOT happen before (except for the one decision). For me, this is now like most other games: Making a save, trying out a possibility, reloading the save, trying out another possibility and so on. But in my opinion, the actual story you want to tell is then somehow no longer a unified piece. And I think that's just a pity because THAT was great before.

So, now enough grumbling. As you might remember, I had to deal with the big eyes in the beginning too - and now I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Reactions: Lockheart

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Thanks for your explanations. Maybe I just need some distance from the game and after some time I might even like it better than before. Only right now it just feels like a different game. As you have already described, I'm supposed to try everything possible - that's exactly what did NOT happen before (except for the one decision). For me, this is now like most other games: Making a save, trying out a possibility, reloading the save, trying out another possibility and so on. But in my opinion, the actual story you want to tell is then somehow no longer a unified piece. And I think that's just a pity because THAT was great before.

So, now enough grumbling. As you might remember, I had to deal with the big eyes in the beginning too - and now I couldn't imagine it any other way.
Well, the game isn't done yet. So it will change and go through refinement. You should never have to load to try another dialogue option though, you can always roll back. And the Four Paths are all there so you can play the game the way it suits you best. And it adds replay value.

I'm about to do a minor update to explain how the choices work because I think it's a common issue of people not knowing if a decision is going to negatively impact the game or not. It's tough, I seem to get destroyed either way. A lot of people wouldn't even touch the game when it was a Kinetic Novel. So I added choices and now I'm getting hammered for that. I kind of can't win. :(

Reactions: KoGa3

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
For God's sake, please don't take me too seriously ;)
Of course there will always be different opinions, and as it looks like I'm rather the exception here anyway. And actually it's much more important what YOU want to do - it's YOUR game that you did with so much heart and soul!

I'm just a little afraid that exactly these last changes were a kind of "I have to do that too, otherwise less people will like it".
But secretly I really hope myself that I'm total wrong and you have great success with the game and make a lot of money (even more then Byron HeHe).

Reactions: Lockheart

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
For God's sake, please don't take me too seriously ;)
Of course there will always be different opinions, and as it looks like I'm rather the exception here anyway. And actually it's much more important what YOU want to do - it's YOUR game that you did with so much heart and soul!

I'm just a little afraid that exactly these last changes were a kind of "I have to do that too, otherwise less people will like it".
But secretly I really hope myself that I'm total wrong and you have great success with the game and make a lot of money (even more then Byron HeHe).
Oh I don't care about money, I want people to like me! Like me, Koga! Like me, dammit! :devilish:

I hear that a lot though, that I should write the story I want to tell. But I'm really not writing it for me, I'm writing it for you guys. I want you guys to enjoy it and walk away from it a little happier and with a brighter outlook. It's my way of positively affecting the world, you know? Adding a little light into it. If people are feeling negatively about it, I'm not fulfilling my goal.

And everyone counts! I take everyone seriously! Because everyone should have a voice. :)

I'm gonna win you back, Koga! Whatever it takes!

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The detective told the girls about a hair salon that was up for auction and they seemed interested, but don't you have to be licensed to cut hair? I guess they could hire professionals to staff the place.
There's always the topless donut shop. :LOL:

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
The detective told the girls about a hair salon that was up for auction and they seemed interested, but don't you have to be licensed to cut hair? I guess they could hire professionals to staff the place.
There's always the topless donut shop. :LOL:
Yeah, you do have to be licensed. I haven't polished out the finer details yet but it'll all work out. It always does. :p

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
They could always turn it into a tanning salon.

I'm sure you'll work out the details.

BigLurker

Jun 16, 2018
OH wow. Lately I have been missing such gems of games. Love of magic, and now this one. Absolutely love it. Nothing beats a good (well told) story and models that have character. And finally a MC in his twenties. For some reason most games you either play as a freaking 12 year old (18 in game) or an older dad (40+) character. This one fits in nicely for the story.

Keep up this level of work! Well done.

P.S. I am a sucker for good endings, please do not let your story end in a fire. We already got that one.

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
OH wow. Lately I have been missing such gems of games. Love of magic, and now this one. Absolutely love it. Nothing beats a good (well told) story and models that have character. And finally a MC in his twenties. For some reason most games you either play as a freaking 12 year old (18 in game) or an older dad (40+) character. This one fits in nicely for the story.

Keep up this level of work! Well done.

P.S. I am a sucker for good endings, please do not let your story end in a fire. We already got that one.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! And yes, I'm quite fond of Byron. He really turned out to be a good character. I'm glad you think so too. Hope you'll be around for more! :)

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Any plans for pregnancy?
I have no current plans for pregnancy. Sorry I missed out on the St Patrick's Day render! I've been so busy that it completely slipped my mind. I'll make it up to you. :)

4.20 star(s) 111 Votes