4.20 star(s) 112 Votes

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Enjoyed this one...not the best around in writing or quality but it was nice. However, it does seem now this is yet another case of the dev being bored with it and wanting to just wrap it up to start something else.

Reactions: botc76

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
chapter 8 supposedly but even then there is sooooo much more that could be done with this game and its story.. I mean its great they will bring some of them into the new game but Penny is not the main story here and it feels like it is far from being finished yet the dev says it is..
My bet is it ends with Avalon finally having sex. That ends her arc. Then the bonus act is just to add some sex content which is very scarce.

Meh1969

Oct 11, 2018
A comedy sketch show from the 80's called Second City TV (where John Candy, Robin Duke, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Harold Ramis got their start) had a horror movie sketch segment called Monster Chiller Horror Theater hosted by Count Floyd, one of the movies was called Mutant Cannibal Monkeys from West Mifflin (both Pittsburgh references).
So if Avalon needs a new horror movie to watch...
I'd disagree about Ramis. He got his start as a performer at THE Second City (The Real One, in Chicago) SCTV was a product of Toronto's Second City, where he became SCTV's Head Writer and a performer there in 1976. Alas, poor Martin Short gets no respect.

Reactions: splamo

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
polygamy. Nice way to hide that the love interest of the MC fucked with other women without calling it cheating or ntr. Because the one who really has action with others is Avalon
The LI's of MC are also the LI's of Avalon, she is just as much the MC as MC is if not more so. There are non-poly routes, but the cannon routes are the poly routes.

This is also a story based game, not a sex based game.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Great up date.
With all of the character and story development I can't see how this game can be summed up in one update.
The dev made the story too good to be quickly concluded.

P4cc3r5

Feb 4, 2019
Will wait until 7.2 gets here - according to Patreon post on Sep 17th:

UPDATE - Fixed the Mono path showing Poly Content

Wondered what was going on with the Dallas/Octavia "polyamorous" paths when I tried it.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It's one of the paths.
Or at least Dallas told Avalon she and Penny were going on a date after Dallas and Penny had sex.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I think Penny's all right, although I never saw her as any type of romantic interest . . . for any of the characters. The reveal that she and Octavia had previously been an item seemed very out of left field, and it got more awkward with Dallas and Avalon each acting interested in her.

Penny's not mysterious to me, and I don't think she's been written very well, TBH. That's surprising, given the richness of many of the other characters. She's a Mary Sue, which makes her less enjoyable to me. People have flaws. They don't have to have some dark, painful past to be interesting. Someone that's not interesting is the person that can do everything. Ever met someone like that IRL? They are usually annoying as hell. I don't find Penny annoying, but I also don't find her interesting. She's just the mechanism to take care of all the conflicts in the story. If I feel that way about her from Avalon, I can't imagine how I'd enjoy Penny: A Modern-day Mary Sue.

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
I think Penny's all right, although I never saw her as any type of romantic interest . . . for any of the characters. The reveal that she and Octavia had previously been an item seemed very out of left field, and it got more awkward with Dallas and Avalon each acting interested in her.

Penny's not mysterious to me, and I don't think she's been written very well, TBH. That's surprising, given the richness of many of the other characters. She's a Mary Sue, which makes her less enjoyable to me. People have flaws. They don't have to have some dark, painful past to be interesting. Someone that's not interesting is the person that can do everything. Ever met someone like that IRL? They are usually annoying as hell. I don't find Penny annoying, but I also don't find her interesting. She's just the mechanism to take care of all the conflicts in the story. If I feel that way about her from Avalon, I can't imagine how I'd enjoy Penny: A Modern-day Mary Sue.
I found it funny in the little epilogue thing it says the devs learned from their mistakes. Seems more like they are doubling down on them.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I found it funny in the little epilogue thing it says the devs learned from their mistakes. Seems more like they are doubling down on them.
IDK, I suppose it depends on what mistakes they mean. Maybe their patrons are of a totally different mind than I am, and they absolutely love Penny. (Weird, but who am I to judge?) If the mistakes they reference are failing to listen to patrons, it might explain why focusing hardcore on Penny has become a thing. I personally don't think I'll ever like Penny, mostly because I hate when a writer takes a sledge (Penny) to do the job of a wrench/spanner (well-developed plot in the story).

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
IDK, I suppose it depends on what mistakes they mean. Maybe their patrons are of a totally different mind than I am, and they absolutely love Penny. (Weird, but who am I to judge?) If the mistakes they reference are failing to listen to patrons, it might explain why focusing hardcore on Penny has become a thing. I personally don't think I'll ever like Penny, mostly because I hate when a writer takes a sledge (Penny) to do the job of a wrench/spanner (well-developed plot in the story).
I suppose his patrons could like it, but that's probably why there are so few. I've said before there are numerous problems with this game. I mean Penny isn't the only Mary Sue. So are Octavia and Leah. To a lesser extent Dallas and Avalon. Or the constant cockblocking by using Avalon's trauma or random interruptions. I mean there are only 2 sex scenes period and that's with Dallas/Octavia.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I suppose his patrons could like it, but that's probably why there are so few. I've said before there are numerous problems with this game. I mean Penny isn't the only Mary Sue. So are Octavia and Leah. To a lesser extent Dallas and Avalon. Or the constant cockblocking by using Avalon's trauma or random interruptions. I mean there are only 2 sex scenes period and that's with Dallas/Octavia.
I'm less concerned with the number of sex scenes — not taking anything away from your wanting more — than I am with the basic storytelling of the game. They are enjoyable for me, but they are secondary. I'm generally here for stories and characters.

I actually don't see how any of these other girls are Mary Sues. Octavia is a knowledge sponge, but it doesn't feel like she's great at everything to me. Being smart and physically capable doesn't amount to being a Mary Sue. I have yet to see her know exactly what a criminal is going to do or get away with illegal stuff or automatically know everything about someone before getting to know them. A Mary Sue wouldn't fall from a ladder in a library, even if startled. (A Mary Sue wouldn't even get startled in the first place.)

I haven't played this latest update yet (I'm working my way to it), but prior to this update, at least, I don't see how Leah is a Mary Sue, either. Maybe something happens in this update? Barring that, though, she's not a Mary Sue from my perspective.

It's the same with Dallas and Avalon: how exactly are they Mary Sues? They don't do everything right . . . at all. Avalon ran away from home instead of confronting her problems. She didn't recognize the need for therapy, even though she clearly needed it. She was tricked by Byron just as easily as he was tricked by her. Dallas is the same way. I don't see how Mary Sue applies to either of them at all.

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
I'm less concerned with the number of sex scenes — not taking anything away from your wanting more — than I am with the basic storytelling of the game. They are enjoyable for me, but they are secondary. I'm generally here for stories and characters.

I actually don't see how any of these other girls are Mary Sues. Octavia is a knowledge sponge, but it doesn't feel like she's great at everything to me. Being smart and physically capable doesn't amount to being a Mary Sue. I have yet to see her know exactly what a criminal is going to do or get away with illegal stuff or automatically know everything about someone before getting to know them. A Mary Sue wouldn't fall from a ladder in a library, even if startled. (A Mary Sue wouldn't even get startled in the first place.)

I haven't played this latest update yet (I'm working my way to it), but prior to this update, at least, I don't see how Leah is a Mary Sue, either. Maybe something happens in this update? Barring that, though, she's not a Mary Sue from my perspective.

It's the same with Dallas and Avalon: how exactly are they Mary Sues? They don't do everything right . . . at all. Avalon ran away from home instead of confronting her problems. She didn't recognize the need for therapy, even though she clearly needed it. She was tricked by Byron just as easily as he was tricked by her. Dallas is the same way. I don't see how Mary Sue applies to either of them at all.
Octavia literally touches people with her hands and can read their minds. Everyone instantly falls in love with her.

Dallas can run an entire business on her own as a teen with no parents.

Avalon everyone falls in love with also. She's the impetus for every relationship in the game. She did confront her mom but Sharol thought she was attention seeking. She has no desire for revenge.

Leah is a damn genius creating an artificial heart.

This is why I said to a lesser extent Avalon and Dallas. Moreso Octavia and Leah. A character doesn't have to be perfect to be a Mary Sue.

Your MC is a pathetic dolt only there for his looks who spends all his time apologizing. He is portrayed as lazy and doesn't believe in work. He only survives by money from his father that he took to cover up his supposed best friend's murder. Money he of course had no issue keeping and living off of.

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaSnabes1

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Octavia literally touches people with her hands and can read their minds. Everyone instantly falls in love with her.

Dallas can run an entire business on her own as a teen with no parents.

Avalon everyone falls in love with also. She's the impetus for every relationship in the game. She did confront her mom but Sharol thought she was attention seeking. She has no desire for revenge.

Leah is a damn genius creating an artificial heart.

This is why I said to a lesser extent Avalon and Dallas. Moreso Octavia and Leah. A character doesn't have to be perfect to be a Mary Sue.

Your MC is a pathetic dolt only there for his looks who spends all his time apologizing.
The definition of a Mary Sue is a character who does everything well, around whom the whole world warps to their will, in effect. None of this is true for any of the characters other than Penny. Mary Sues aren't just good at something; they're not just amazing at something. They aren't perfect, but they are amazing at everything, which doesn't apply to anyone but Penny.

Reactions: PapaSnabes1
4.20 star(s) 112 Votes