4.20 star(s) 112 Votes

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
The definition of a Mary Sue is a character who does everything well, around whom the whole world warps to their will, in effect. None of this is true for any of the characters other than Penny. Mary Sues aren't just good at something; they're not just amazing at something. They aren't perfect, but they are amazing at everything, which doesn't apply to anyone but Penny.
That's not actually the definition.

"(originally in fan fiction) a type of female character who is depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses."

Reactions: botc76

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
That's not actually the definition.

"(originally in fan fiction) a type of female character who is depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses."
How is "lacking in flaws or weaknesses" not "perfect"? If you do something poorly, that's a flaw. If something can hurt you, that's a weakness. Also: — pretty sure that's a definition of Mary Sue right there.

I'm not saying the other characters don't also exhibit ridiculously abnormal abilities with certain things, but they have very evident flaws and weaknesses. Only Penny appears to have no weaknesses or flaws (unless you count her getting slightly down that the police will no longer let her get away with everything).

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
How is "lacking in flaws or weaknesses" not "perfect"? If you do something poorly, that's a flaw. If something can hurt you, that's a weakness. Also: — pretty sure that's a definition of Mary Sue right there.

I'm not saying the other characters don't also exhibit ridiculously abnormal abilities with certain things, but they have very evident flaws and weaknesses. Only Penny appears to have no weaknesses or flaws (unless you count her getting slightly down that the police will no longer let her get away with everything).
Unrealistically doesn't mean perfect. It just means to an unrealistic degree. Which they all exhibit to some extent. To a lesser degree Avalon and Dallas who do have some flaws at least. Octavia and Leah have no flaws or weaknesses. One is an genius military diplomat angel and the other is a beautiful genius who is perfectly selfless and humble.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Unrealistically doesn't mean perfect. It just means to an unrealistic degree. Which they all exhibit to some extent. To a lesser degree Avalon and Dallas who do have some flaws at least. Octavia and Leah have no flaws or weaknesses. One is an genius military diplomat angel and the other is a beautiful genius who is perfectly selfless and humble.
Yeah, Leah, absolutely perfect with no flaws.

Except the heart condition which is killing her.

Do you need some cheese because you go through a hell of a lot of whine?

It's not even a case of defending a game, you clearly have issue with it and done nothing but complain, move along and find something you will like.

Common fucking sense.

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020

It's not even a case of defending a game, you clearly have issue with it and done nothing but complain, move along and find something you will like.

Common fucking sense.
Exactly except the one thing that she herself will cure.

You should stop white knighting for a game. You whining about criticism won't stop it.

Also speaking of cheese everything in this game is called "cheesy". FFS

It is a case of defending a game. You have no idea of my views outside getting triggered by criticisms.

Common fucking sense.

SeveredRealms

Game Developer
Apr 10, 2020
You all going back and forth and I did not remember to bring the popcorn grrr. What is annoying me right now is this game has a huge potential to continue for a long time yet is being sold short for a side character AKA Penny... Truth be told keep her as a side character and do this game right. I thinks its great they want to do a spin off game but dont kill this game for it. This story is truly only in the beginning and it's sad to see it ending.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
You all going back and forth and I did not remember to bring the popcorn grrr. What is annoying me right now is this game has a huge potential to continue for a long time yet is being sold short for a side character AKA Penny... Truth be told keep her as a side character and do this game right. I thinks its great they want to do a spin off game but dont kill this game for it. This story is truly only in the beginning and it's sad to see it ending.
Yeah. I like penny but come on she was /is going to have her own vn. Mayhaps it will spend most of its time on avalon stealing scenes lol. Seriously wish they would of spent more time on avalon and the mc especially here at its closing.

I had no issue with penny scenes with and around the mc and avalon unfortunately alot of the scenes were priming the pump for the next vn or thats how it felt anyway.

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
Yeah. I like penny but come on she was /is going to have her own vn. Mayhaps it will spend most of its time on avalon stealing scenes lol. Seriously wish they would of spent more time on avalon and the mc especially here at its closing.

I had no issue with penny scenes with and around the mc and avalon unfortunately alot of the scenes were priming the pump for the next vn or thats how it felt anyway.
Avalon won't be in the next game. Penny travels in time and it's set in the past.

• Sad
Reactions: BigDaddyDom

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Dev has said a few times this was only ever going to be a short game. Only 7 updates were planned.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I do like this little VN, but I gotta admit I find it kind of funny reading here and in the reviews how it is fantastically written and the best VN and all, when in reality it is so incredibly cheesy and the dialogue gets really awkward all the time.
Not to mention how often the characters just react to situations in completely unbelievable ways.

And don't get me started on Penny, yes at times she is funny, but it's annoying how much time and attention she gets in a VN where she is supposedly just a side character.
And yes, she is a total Mary Sue, she is so absolutely OP that it is ridiculous.

Like I wrote, I like it, it's a nice little VN but it has severe flaws.

Common fucking sense.
Exactly except the one thing that she herself will cure.

You should stop white knighting for a game. You whining about criticism won't stop it.

Also speaking of cheese everything in this game is called "cheesy". FFS

It is a case of defending a game. You have no idea of my views outside getting triggered by criticisms.

Common fucking sense.

Lol.Why does that seem so familiar? Ah yes, I had the exact same discussion when it came to "Remembering the Past" and "Alison."
Someone doesn't like when characters in games they are fans of are called MarySues....... even if they are. ;)

I mean, as I wrote, I like Avalon, but there's no denying that the game does suffer from Mary Sue characters.
You have Penny who is a complete Mary Sue and Leah and Octavia with strong Mary Sue tendencies.

Like ImmortalNight points out, if a character is suffering from a heart-condition and is the only one who can fix it, that is as Mary Sue as it gets. The character is herself the solution to her only problem. And Octavia not only can read minds and knows everything, she has a fucking black panther for a pet.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Like ImmortalNight points out, if a character is suffering from a heart-condition and is the only one who can fix it,
Apart from that part where they can't power it and don't think they will solve it in her life time.

I'd hardly call it fan backing either, she's had barely any screen time.

Octavia doesn't read minds either but it seems like you haven't bothered reading the story so it makes the whole debate pointless.

The really big question is .... does it really matter?

No, no it doesn't.

Lol.Why does that seem so familiar? Ah yes, I had the exact same discussion when it came to "Remembering the Past" and "Alison."
I tried to look up this game but it doesn't exist.

The only games with "the past" in them are Retrieving the Past but that doesn't have any Alison's in it and Glimpses of the Past that I don't play so no idea what's going on there.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I never said anything about "unrealistically". This isn't a buffet, where you get to focus on the one word that has nothing to do with the argument and then use that as evidence that you're right. This has nothing to do with how realistic or not it may be that the character possesses their characteristics. This is what's relevant for the definition: "lacking in flaws or weaknesses", which is the very definition of perfect. (This is why I highlighted those words when quoting your previous post, but I guess you decided to ignore that.) Your own quoted definition proves your take on it incorrect: a Mary Sue lacks flaw or weaknesses (i.e., she is perfect). It may be unrealistic, but the perfection is still there.

Octavia is not a Mary Sue, although she does have some ridiculously exceptional abilities. However, she's also clumsy. She is uncertain in relationships, having a hard time establishing and then staying in them. She has a tendency to take over a situation instead of yielding to the expert in the room (she even apparently knows better what Byron needs than the psychologist, for instance).

Leah is also not a Mary Sue. She doesn't even have extraordinary abilities, other than that she's really smart; big deal: plenty of people are really smart. Is it deus ex machina to have her just so happen to work on developing the technology that could save her life? Sure. Is she a Mary Sue because of this? Not even close.

Anyway, I think this discussion is done. I've expressed my opinion on a few characters now, so I'll be moving on. I've tired of the back-and-forth, so don't expect a reply on this.

ImmortalNight

Jul 4, 2020
I never said anything about "unrealistically". This isn't a buffet, where you get to focus on the one word that has nothing to do with the argument and then use that as evidence that you're right. This has nothing to do with how realistic or not it may be that the character possesses their characteristics. This is what's relevant for the definition: "lacking in flaws or weaknesses", which is the very definition of perfect. (This is why I highlighted those words when quoting your previous post, but I guess you decided to ignore that.) Your own quoted definition proves your take on it incorrect: a Mary Sue lacks flaw or weaknesses (i.e., she is perfect). It may be unrealistic, but the perfection is still there.

Octavia is not a Mary Sue, although she does have some ridiculously exceptional abilities. However, she's also clumsy. She is uncertain in relationships, having a hard time establishing and then staying in them. She has a tendency to take over a situation instead of yielding to the expert in the room (she even apparently knows better what Byron needs than the psychologist, for instance).

Leah is also not a Mary Sue. She doesn't even have extraordinary abilities, other than that she's really smart; big deal: plenty of people are really smart. Is it deus ex machina to have her just so happen to work on developing the technology that could save her life? Sure. Is she a Mary Sue because of this? Not even close.

Anyway, I think this discussion is done. I've expressed my opinion on a few characters now, so I'll be moving on. I've tired of the back-and-forth, so don't expect a reply on this.
The discussion was already done. You chose to persist anyway.

You are completely and utterly wrong on the definition of Mary Sue and I already explained this. I even acknowledged we can disagree and that there are degrees. You simply can't let it go.

I mean the bigger issue isn't even that they're Mary Sues. It's the difference in how male characters are treated. Two incompetent sexist henchmen. A weak minded crime boss who is depressed. A police officer who takes credit for Penny's deeds to further his own career and then lectures her. A rapist. A poor simpleton. A sexual predator drug dealer. Don't even get me started on the pathetic MC.

This game has good parts to it and I've played two routes already. It also has glaring flaws.

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
I didn't know that 2 female characters was raped. Downloading this thing was the biggest mistake i did recently. Fu*** crap story
Technically there is no rape in the game. They only talk about it happening before the story starts. No rape was depicted only referred to to set up the reaction of the MC. Then only 1 of the females, Avalon, was raped while the other one, Dallas, did a number on her attacker and escaped.

Paapi

Engaged Member
Jan 21, 2020
Technically there is no rape in the game. They only talk about it happening before the story starts. No rape was depicted only referred to to set up the reaction of the MC. Then only 1 of the females, Avalon, was raped while the other one, Dallas, did a number on her attacker and escaped.
But that talking annoying me.

4.20 star(s) 112 Votes