Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Just a few quick questions, what do you guys understand for linear and branches? Because so far there have been multiple complaints about the game not having branches and also about the game trying to have too many branches.

And same about linearity, some complain there are not true decisions, but the moment we add them (to me linearity and the lack of branches is the same, correct me if i’m Wrong) they say we should focus on thickening the plot.

And last, I guess all of you have played multiple times trying different paths and decisions, right? Even those you don’t like. Because I have the impression (maybe I’m wrong) you might have not.
Storyline is mostly/completely the same regardless of your choices. That's what linear story is. They might pretend to be complex but linearity becomes visible later in game. I'm not saying Babysitter is linear at this point but it starts to feel like that with this update. Next 3-4 updates will show how it is. Early game seems to fork into passion and love so that's always something. Ofc you can't have too many branches when it comes to the main storyline but subbranches affecting main storyline are highly appreciated. Job is a good example as it would strongly alter later game. I know it's a ton of work so I'm not neceserily say it's a bad idea to keep N in the office but when I was given so many choices regarding Silver I honestly though it matter. This and plenty of gameovers make this feeling probably. Still, you shouldn't really care about moans in this thread at this point as it's mostly an effect of a really small update. If it won't change that's something worth analysis.

The_fallen_dragon

Jun 15, 2017
In that case, I guess I'll just wait for 1.0 or later to play this again. Sonya's husband "bad end" scene felt like a slap in the face.
This definitely was a big f u to me, like it just came out of nowhere with no real warning or way of dealing with it. All I get is a "don't piss off her husband", piss him off? This is literally the first and only time we actually see him. We get no other interaction but we are not suppose to piss him off?

Reactions: proximus

Burt Reynolds Mustache

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 19, 2017
Just a few quick questions, what do you guys understand for linear and branches? Because so far there have been multiple complaints about the game not having branches and also about the game trying to have too many branches.

And same about linearity, some complain there are not true decisions, but the moment we add them (to me linearity and the lack of branches is the same, correct me if i’m Wrong) they say we should focus on thickening the plot.

And last, I guess all of you have played multiple times trying different paths and decisions, right? Even those you don’t like. Because I have the impression (maybe I’m wrong) you might have not.
Yes I think it's fairly clear that people understand what linear and branches mean. Generally speaking the game is pretty linear so far in that you will always do very specific events, with any branching being fairly minimal or at least obscured.

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean when I say no true decisions. When so many decisions end in a direct game over, there isn't much of a point to even having them in the first place. Here is an example. If you don't take Christine with you to visit Mr. Sexual Harrasington, it's a game over. So why even bother having the choice there in the first place? A few of them I get, the extra touching to get a scene, or peep or not. I mean, they aren't real choices either, but they at least give you a tiny sliver of sexy content.

EDIT: On a fourth play through, with a walkthrough I FINALLY got that choice to work. So instead of pawning her off to Sexual Harrasington, you get her pushed towards Drug Dealer McPimpington. The choice is HEAVILY gated, and it makes very little sense how it is.

I'm generally not a huge fan of cutting off content, but choices can be great, as can branches, but it needs to be pretty clear what is a big decision, and what is not. There is no feedback half the time, so one a replay some scenes played out differently and I have no real clue as to why, did it have to do with points? Was it a choice I made ages ago? Who ever knows?

If you want a good idea of a fairly simple branching system take a look at a Telltale adventure game like the Walking Dead. Each episode has a few big choices, they are shown to be big choices, and they have a decent effect on the game, at least in the near term, if not the long term. The narrative does end up in the same spot, but the choices made by the player feel impactful nonetheless.

A VN has a lot more options, though I am surprised that more western amateur devs don't take advice from the Japanese companies that have been using the format for years. An easy way to handle it would be to have the branches separate early on, then finish one branch, then the next, then the next, etc. This would actually work very well for a Patreon model, and it allows a small team to focus on one story before handling the rest while still not throwing up unused gates at everyone.

Last edited:

Drummerguy16

Oct 5, 2017
How do you get the option to study remote access? Every time I click on surf web it only gives me the option to look at exotic games.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
How do you get the option to study remote access? Every time I click on surf web it only gives me the option to look at exotic games.
This has been covered a few times now, but I'll answer this again, since this thread is starting to get a little longer (c'mon 100 pages!)

On day 3 (I think it's day 3), while Christine is taking a shower, search her room and find her phone in the nightstand. If it's on, read it and you'll get Jessica's email. Then go to your room and hop on the computer, you should now have the option to study remote access.

Reactions: a1fox3

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
Why did Sonya tell her husband in the first place? Really, how could you see this coming?

Can I like fire her now and hire niece instead?
Pretty much my bitch about it. Punish me for fucking her on the regular, or have her send me a text warning me. I'm not that vested in the game to really want to start over to see 5 minutes worth of work even though it would only take me 10 or 15 to get there. It's really not something I'm all that attached to I guess. the niece is kinda meh in looks. She looks like she needs a bath to me. I dunno something about that skin tone and texture combo in conjunction with the hair just looks dirty. Her friends are more interesting in the sexual department and worth jumping onto, but your stuck fucking around with the Niece because we gotta incest.

Drummerguy16

Oct 5, 2017
This has been covered a few times now, but I'll answer this again, since this thread is starting to get a little longer (c'mon 100 pages!)

On day 3 (I think it's day 3), while Christine is taking a shower, search her room and find her phone in the nightstand. If it's on, read it and you'll get Jessica's email. Then go to your room and hop on the computer, you should now have the option to study remote access.
Thank you.

Reactions: OhWee

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
Wow! That was actually quite good. It's amazing how much the music adds to the vibe.
Yep, I played it as well from the thread. Game was well done and I used the scripts to follow game progression you could tell the dev knew what he was doing. It actually was like a tell tale game it had different small scenes for different choices rather then lazily cutting or missing content like some *COUGH* devs do.

Glad he mentioned it.

Thornhill

Sep 18, 2017
Yep, I played it as well from the thread. Game was well done and I used the scripts to follow game progression you could tell the dev knew what he was doing. It actually was like a tell tale game it had different small scenes for different choices rather then lazily cutting or missing content like some *COUGH* devs do.

Glad he mentioned it.
That game deserves a lot more love than it's getting, that's why i plugged it. When Babysitter 0.6 came out, it fell flat for me, then DA 0.3 came out at the same time, it just blew me away. Spread the word, fellas, spread the word !

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so my take on the current state of things.

So, one thing that bothered me about this update was that as pointed out it was fairly linear. And it really bothered me that (as far as I can tell) that a decision made a couple of updates ago decides if Christine works for Mr. Silver or goes to the gym. The whole conversation over lunch thing with Jess and Christine seemed to have no influence whatsoever on this decision, although I need to look over the code to make sure. So you were pretty much just along for the ride on this one. Same for the Sonya thing. Instakill is not cool unless you are playing first person shooters or something...

I agree with the comment that there should have been another option with Sonya, rather than her running to her husband and you getting killed. This might have been an opportunity for a third fork, i.e. if you treated her badly, yeah husband. If she was having second thoughts about your encounter (i.e. higher love/friend stat), then she's on the fence, because she's felt like she's been cheated on for a while, but could never prove it, and has been neglected at home/sex only occasionally or very robotic, hence she doesn't mind your dalliance, as she thinks of it as a moment of weakness only on her part. And of course the 'well you didn't fuck so she wants your help' that is in the game now.

I do like that T4boo is choosing not to revise the older story elements with each update, and is just focusing on advancing the story. I find it rather frustrating when old saves are broken for little gain, and so far I've had pretty good luck using my older saves in Babysitter, Steamier Mod variances aside (I just use the console to 'put things back' in this case until I get the next Steamy mod ready for prime time).

Finally, in the last episode, you and Christine were starting to hang out and develop a deeper relationship. I very much enjoyed her morning kitchen visits, and things seemed to be going in a very positive direction. In short, You, Jessica, and Christine were having fun together, and it was fun. In this update though, Christine is pretty much a victim throughout the episode. Her choices were made episodes ago, and she's just going through the motions. And she's already getting backed into a corner with Mr. Silver, and the laundromat guy (I really should look up his name) well it would appear that he's a pimp, based on the conversations in this episode. Yeah maybe he's a nice guy but everything he mentioned screamed 'pimp recruiting ho' to me.

Even the Jessica bathroom scene seemed forced to me, and as far as I could tell, staying to chat with Christine instead didn't have any payback that I could see.

And while you could choose to be a 'saint' in this update, let's face it that was a very boring path. It's like T4boo wants you to just be a lecherous uncle that leads Christine to ruin, rather than the 'more fun path' where Christine really likes you and is slowly figuring out just how much she likes you...

There are enough games already where the main female characters are slowly corrupted into becoming sex toys. I'd rather this not be one of them. I like it when this game is fun and playful, and this episode didn't seem very fun and playful. Yeah that approach may be unrealistic, but up to this point that's what I've been wanting out of this game. I don't want the female characters to be mindless sex toys. But I do want them to fall for the Uncle/MC of course, and I want that to feel like a torrid affair and not a manipulation fest.

One other thing that I wouldn't mind at this point is if the MC could focus on one character from this point forward. I.E. he decides to chase Sonya, Jessica, or Christine, and the game decisions play into that: i.e. 'It's date time, do you: go out with Christine, go out with Jessica, or go out with Sonja', with said opportunities playing into how well you are doing with each character.

While I wouldn't mind a 'harem' ending, I'm not sure that's quite in the cards with this story. A tryst or two maybe... but in the end I think the MC should end up with one of them, and with the other two being 'just friends' at this point (and maybe occasional friends with benefits, for more trysts if you 'nuanced' your playthrough just right). That would be three clear and distinct paths that I'd very much be on board with, and would incidentally add some replayability, i.e. 'I want to pursue Jessica this play through'.

As for Mr. Silver and the laundromat dude - fuck them, they can go get their own bitches. Jessica, Christine, and Sonya are for the MC only! And between those three competing for the MC's attention, there is plenty of 'conflict' to go around already (once those three start seriously considering the MC as a potential love interest, and start working towards winning him over), without introducing cock blocking as well.

Oh, and yes I want to see Jessica banging Josh... and I mean in that order (Jessica wants it, she just doesn't want Josh to know she really wants it). On the webcam of course!

Last edited:

Thornhill

Sep 18, 2017
OK, so my take on the current state of things.

So, one thing that bothered me about this update was that as pointed out it was fairly linear. And it really bothered me that (as far as I can tell) that a decision made a couple of updates ago decides if Christine works for Mr. Silver or goes to the gym. The whole conversation over lunch thing with Jess and Christine seemed to have no influence whatsoever on this decision, although I need to look over the code to make sure. So you were pretty much just along for the ride on this one. Same for the Sonya thing. Instakill is not cool unless you are playing first person shooters or something...

I agree with the comment that there should have been another option with Sonya, rather than her running to her husband and you getting killed. This might have been an opportunity for a third fork, i.e. if you treated her badly, yeah husband. If she was having second thoughts about your encounter (i.e. higher love/friend stat), then she's on the fence, because she's felt like she's been cheated on for a while, but could never prove it, and has been neglected at home/sex only occasionally or very robotic, hence she doesn't mind your dalliance, as she thinks of it as a moment of weakness only on her part. And of course the 'well you didn't fuck so she wants your help' that is in the game now.

I do like that T4boo is choosing not to revise the older story elements with each update, and is just focusing on advancing the story. I find it rather frustrating when old saves are broken for little gain, and so far I've had pretty good luck using my older saves in Babysitter, Steamier Mod variances aside (I just use the console to 'put things back' in this case until I get the next Steamy mod ready for prime time).

Finally, in the last episode, you and Christine were starting to hang out and develop a deeper relationship. I very much enjoyed her morning kitchen visits, and things seemed to be going in a very positive direction. In short, You, Jessica, and Christine were having fun together, and it was fun. In this update though, Christine is pretty much a victim throughout the episode. Her choices were made episodes ago, and she's just going through the motions. And she's already getting backed into a corner with Mr. Silver, and the laundromat guy (I really should look up his name) well it would appear that he's a pimp, based on the conversations in this episode. Yeah maybe he's a nice guy but everything he mentioned screamed 'pimp recruiting ho' to me.

Even the Jessica bathroom scene seemed forced to me, and as far as I could tell, staying to chat with Christine instead didn't have any payback that I could see.

And while you could choose to be a 'saint' in this update, let's face it that was a very boring path. It's like T4boo wants you to just be a lecherous uncle that leads Christine to ruin, rather than the 'more fun path' where Christine really likes you and is slowly figuring out just how much she likes you...

There are enough games already where the main female characters are slowly corrupted into becoming sex toys. I'd rather this not be one of them. I like it when this game is fun and playful, and this episode didn't seem very fun and playful. Yeah that approach may be unrealistic, but up to this point that's what I've been wanting out of this game. I don't want the female characters to be mindless sex toys. But I do want them to fall for the Uncle/MC of course, and I want that to feel like a torrid affair and not a manipulation fest.

One other thing that I wouldn't mind at this point is if the MC could focus on one character from this point forward. I.E. he decides to chase Sonya, Jessica, or Christine, and the game decisions play into that: i.e. 'It's date time, do you: go out with Christine, go out with Jessica, or go out with Sonja', with said opportunities playing into how well you are doing with each character.

While I wouldn't mind a 'harem' ending, I'm not sure that's quite in the cards with this story. A tryst or two maybe... but in the end I think the MC should end up with one of them, and with the other two being 'just friends' at this point (and maybe occasional friends with benefits, for more trysts if you 'nuanced' your playthrough just right). That would be three clear and distinct paths that I'd very much be on board with, and would incidentally add some replayability, i.e. 'I want to pursue Jessica this play through'.

As for Mr. Silver and the laundromat dude - fuck them, they can go get their own bitches. Jessica, Christine, and Sonya are for the MC only! And between those three competing for the MC's attention, there is plenty of 'conflict' to go around already (once those three start seriously considering the MC as a potential love interest, and start working towards winning him over), without introducing cock blocking as well.

Oh, and yes I want to see Jessica banging Josh... and I mean in that order (Jessica wants it, she just doesn't want Josh to know she really wants it). On the webcam of course!
Oh, shit, you know it's serious when OhWee is doing the criticism. I agree with every single word you said. I even raised the red flag when 0.6 came out, guessing where it would lead. And one month later, here you are, making the same points, and then some. Hope at least YOU can get through to the Dev.

Reactions: Darkaura and OhWee

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Hmm, I do not agree with females falling for MC but it's just my personal preference. In perfect game you could choose and here linearity comes again

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Oh, shit, you know it's serious when OhWee is doing the criticism. I agree with every single word you said. I even raised the red flag when 0.6 came out, guessing where it would lead. And one month later, here you are, making the same points, and then some. Hope at least YOU can get through to the Dev.
Mind you, I very much like this game, so my rant there is because I really like the female characters in this game. Other people may want other things out of this game than I do, of course. Personally, I just don't want this to become a 'fallen angel' sort of story, but rather a 'happy and upbeat' game going forward. There are enough depressing fuck games out there already, we need more fun games with interesting stories.

Thornhill

Sep 18, 2017
Mind you, I very much like this game, so my rant there is because I really like the female characters in this game. Other people may want other things out of this game than I do, of course. Personally, I just don't want this to become a 'fallen angel' sort of story, but rather a 'happy and upbeat' game going forward. There are enough depressing fuck games out there already, we need more fun games with interesting stories.
Looks like we're of one mind on this. The main reason why i was ok with a slow burn was exactly that, having time to get to know Chris, so that when the MC does get to third base, it means something. It's not a piece of meat, it's a unique person. That's why DMD fell flat on me, i couldn't connect with the Daughter, who looked, well, retarded. When 0.6 came out, and i saw that "lotion massage ", my DMD alarm bells went berserk. Now, with 0.7 i see a lot more folks voicing concerns. But something tells me, you're gonna save this thing for us.

Reactions: OhWee

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
The guy is making pretty good money, hes older AND good looking(I guess). Why wouldn't they fall for him?
I wasn't specific. I mean mostly niece. That's just my preference as I hate incest in general and I like NTR. And in terms of reality she wouldn't fall for her much older uncle. Moreover he's kinda boring as a character.

Reactions: User_166761

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
- What was it you wanted to see in the story for 0.0.7? Keeping in mind that T4boo seems to be keeping to the 'one or two days per release' model.
1 1/2 day per update is fine if that's what he can do. But the problem is that there isn't enough to do in that 1 1/2 day at all to the point that the content felt very minimal. The easiest way to look at this is by how few decisions that could be made in each update. This translates into the friendship/horny points where we are already at 0.0.7 (so about 6 months after 0.0.1) and the points are very low. It shows that there are simply not enough content in each update.

What I wanted to see in general is basically the relationship between the main character and the niece. That's the basic premise of the game, right? But what we got is a lot of sidetracking (scenes without the MC) or cheap filler content (dream sequence and the spy cam). There isn't enough MC-niece building their relationship. And I think Sonya is a completely useless character that isn't necessary at all.

- What was is about where the story is currently headed that you don't like?
I don't like how slow the story is going. I don't like using the word "milking" and I don't think T4boo is purposely trying to milk it, but for a game that has been updated for around half a year, there's almost no progress. The game started with the niece moving in with the MC trying to find a job. Fast forward 6 updates later and the niece has just started her first day at work.

I also don't like how some of the choices seemed pointless, or hidden with unclear stat requirement. I understand the goal is to have a game with branches, but it's not delivered properly.

- Following up on that, what would you rather have seen happen instead, based on where 0.0.6 left things?
Based on where 0.0.6 ended, I'd like the update to be more focused on a continuation about the Jess-Christine partnership. I think it sucked that 0.0.6 ended with Jess asking Christine to work with her, but then 0.0.7 threw us with Christine working for Mr. Silver instead. I'm not hating the Mr. Silver part, I'm hating that it didn't continue what happened in 0.0.6. What we got was 0.0.5 (Mr. Silver offered job) -> 0.0.6 (told Christine about Silver being dodgy, and Jess offered Christine partnership) -> 0.0.7 (work for Mr. Silver anyway) which makes 0.0.6 felt incredibly pointless.

- What is it about the story overall that attracts you to this game? What is it that has held your interest up to this point?
I think the basic concept is very promising. The setting is not a cheap "Son living with mother and three sisters" but instead a more believable adult MC. What kept me interested is I want to see what the plan is for Christine. But so far I'm more disappointed than satisfied by what's produced.

Reactions: paladin07

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Oh so you like to watch other men fuck your women and you never get any.
You're trying to be offensive. Could be retorted as: "you like to fuck your own family" which is most likely a bullshit( I hope). It's not my women. I don't mind that in a game as I don't immerse myself as an MC. I generally prefer him with his secretary of N's friend as it at least makes some sense. Pointless discussion in this thread.

Reactions: Pantisocrat
3.90 star(s) 183 Votes