4.10 star(s) 13 Votes

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
There is also the POST development items to deal with also like editing and proof reading.
TESTING!!! You forgot testing! God, I don't know HOW many games are marred because the developer thinks that just because the game compiles it's okay to foist on the public. Some problems are going to show up, even with good testing. But to see a release that is unplayable in it's main route because an uncaught exception occurred, is ridiculous.

But, all in all, a great post, man (or woman, as the case may be)! Kudos!
I've edited my post to include these. Thanks for mentioning them. (I can't believe I forgot to include testing. SMH.)

Reactions: Walter Victor

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Curious as someone who is considering starting a game themselves: what do you think is a reasonable period between releases even with consistent communication? Personally, I'd rather meatier updates that take longer (with the dev giving updates at least every month--I don't need weekly) than monthly updates that are done with 15 minutes of playtime and maybe 1 or 2 h-scenes. What about you (and anyone else on the thread)?
The stuff CookieMonster666 said is all on point. You might also want to try looking at the scripts for different games. Some people try to do overcomplicated scripting with functions and calls that they don't know how to do when they could handle them with basic variables and label jumps.

The main thing though is to plan out what you want to do ahead of time (outline like a year of development), make an initial release, and then once you get things going COMMUNICATE and have INTEGRITY. Those are the most important things. If you have to have 4 months between each update, if you're providing teasers/wallpapers/offering to let your high tier patrons be alpha testers, then no one will hold that against you as long as you're being consistent and honest.

Apr 12, 2020
"Reasonable" is a subjective term. There are a lot of possible things that could be going on in the life of a developer. Some make these types of games in their spare time. Others do this full-time. Some have fairly outdated machines that struggle to handle rendering images, and when they do render them, they might not be as high in quality. Others have excellent setups and can create extremely high quality and realistic animations. There are also varying talent levels, where some developers are new to creating erotica and/or using specific software and others just seem to click with it all naturally and are amazingly gifted at doing this type of stuff. (I think they all are talented, but the degree of talent differs from one to another.)

I'm not a developer, so you may wish to take what I say below with some degree of skepticism. But I think the following few things are good for consideration, even if you don't know the first thing about developing a game. First, you should understand that there are a lot of aspects of development, all of which will need to be managed when used. Just off the top of my head, you (or your group, if you have a team) will need to manage: Art, programming, game design (UI, mechanics, etc.), story planning, writing (esp. dialogue), music / sound effects (optional), editing, proofreading, and play testing.

You might consider looking over the course of your life for the last year, identify how busy you typically are, and go with an average time. Another option might be to look at your busiest month of the year, and promise that as the minimum. It really all depends on what you believe you can handle and how much you want to focus on your project during any free time you might have. I would also suggest that you give yourself some leeway: include extra time (hours per week) for creating, above and beyond the actual time it might take you. This gives you some wiggle room if you run into errors (in rendering, in programming, with unforeseen story adjustments, with translations, etc.).

Of course, an actual developer — especially of this type of game — can give you a much more useful response than I. Edit: I have added the following, per the recommendations of BogoHobo and Walter Victor. (I can't believe I didn't include testing: I actually do it for a living for a dot-com company. :rolleyes:)
Thank you (and yoyomistro) for your thoughtful responses! Believe me--it's not something I'm going to jump into until it's far more crystallized (and I have learned more). I don't want to be someone who releases teaser after teaser with no production. I clicked on a thread earlier today that started in 2017 and still hasn't released anything--other than a post from June of this year that a game is "coming soon." I don't wanna be that dev.

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
Thank you (and yoyomistro) for your thoughtful responses! Believe me--it's not something I'm going to jump into until it's far more crystallized (and I have learned more). I don't want to be someone who releases teaser after teaser with no production. I clicked on a thread earlier today that started in 2017 and still hasn't released anything--other than a post from June of this year that a game is "coming soon." I don't wanna be that dev.
One advice. For your first project, pick a small one. Even if you work with a team. If this is the first time, you guys work together, even if you are friends in real life. That way, you guys get used to working together. You don't want to find out you can't stand people you work with and end up stuck in the middle of a big ass project. If you work alone, like me. You will want to start with a small project to balance the project with your day job and life. Frankly, I've been fortunate in that I've had help when I really needed it. And their tons of people on F95 that will offer to help. All you have to do is ask.

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
Stop by to tell you guys that v1.5 is out for Patreon. Maybe someone will get it and post it here. This is the conclusion to chapter one. I'm working on designing a system for chapter two right now and fixing some character looks. Such as the main character and Jen. (just the skin) If you have a suggestion for (gameplay-wise) what you want to see in chapter two, put it up now. If I can do it, I will consider it. If you one of those guys think everything is easy and say it not that hard to do and start typing up detail, step by step, instruction on how it can be done, send it in PM… But you better know what you talking about, or I will light your ass up for wasting my time… Oh, and make it idiot proof… Most of the time, I have no idea how much blood I have left mixing with the alcohol in my body while working on The Company.

While trying to develop a system for Chapter two, I will be putting out one or two side stories. (They are linked to Bad Company's main plot.) They both will be short stories. And won't affect the development times for Chapter two. One is a simple Dating sim. With Option for NTR (now NTR part won't be forced. make the right choice, and you'll never see it/Stop it before it starts. I'll even make it idiot proof if I have to.) 2nd story will be a revenge story. I can't guaranty that I will release both stories. It depends on how fast I can put together a system and get it to work. OR if I just give up and use a simple point system. Should I finish with chapter two system before the story wrap up. I will be working on the side story on my gaming pc. Until it finish.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
One advice. For your first project, pick a small one. Even if you work with a team. If this is the first time, you guys work together, even if you are friends in real life. That way, you guys get used to working together. You don't want to find out you can't stand people you work with and end up stuck in the middle of a big ass project. If you work alone, like me. You will want to start with a small project to balance the project with your day job and life. Frankly, I've been fortunate in that I've had help when I really needed it. And their tons of people on F95 that will offer to help. All you have to do is ask.
One thing you can do if you want to make a large first project is use high quality Illusion models. You do have to work extra hard to gain traction with those, but if you have a compelling narrative and you just want an easy vehicle to deliver your story, it can work. Ecchi Sensei, Waifu Academy, and The Headmaster are all examples of popular, high quality games with Illusion models. Yea, obviously more realistic 3d models are going to have an easier time gaining traction with a general audience, but if you have an ambitious scope and poor technical skills that's an avenue to save time on the modeling side.

Reactions: Lennier

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
One thing you can do if you want to make a large first project is use high quality Illusion models. You do have to work extra hard to gain traction with those, but if you have a compelling narrative and you just want an easy vehicle to deliver your story, it can work. Ecchi Sensei, Waifu Academy, and The Headmaster are all examples of popular, high quality games with Illusion models. Yea, obviously more realistic 3d models are going to have an easier time gaining traction with a general audience, but if you have an ambitious scope and poor technical skills that's an avenue to save time on the modeling side.
I thought about using Honey Select. I decide against it. Looking back now it was probably a mistake since Illusion didnt seem to care. (As far as I know no body got letter) I think those games you listed are success because they have top-notche character designs. And well the uniform... who doesn't like that uniform... The one that doesnt gain any traction I think they mess up on the character (ive seen a few fuggly ones) Honey Select starting look out date tho but Honey Select 2 is already out just need more mod for it. I'm still not going to use it... with my luck as soon as I try Illusion will start filing law suit.

Reactions: yoyomistro

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I thought about using Honey Select. I decide against it. Looking back now it was probably a mistake since Illusion didnt seem to care. (As far as I know no body got letter) I think those games you listed are success because they have top-notche character designs. And well the uniform... who doesn't like that uniform... The one that doesnt gain any traction I think they mess up on the character (ive seen a few fuggly ones) Honey Select starting look out date tho but Honey Select 2 is already out just need more mod for it. I'm still not going to use it... with my luck as soon as I try Illusion will start filing law suit.
Yea, it's a combination of character design, being willing to do complex posing, having decent rendering capacity, and being willing to put in some work to make some animations besides the stock ones available. I don't think Illusion would focus so much on character creators if they didn't think people were going to use their products commercially. I'm sure there's something in the licensing that probably allows for it. Not that I've read their licensing agreement or know anything detailed about Japanese law.

Some people have crappy rigs/rely too much on stock assets. How Illusion games look varies a lot depending on your computer and how much work you're willing to put in. There are plenty of PlayHome/Honey Select games that look great, but yea HS 2 looks to be promising as far as what people will make in the future. Even if people choose to use Illusion assets, they shouldn't be lazy about it or people can tell.

Reactions: Lennier

damien_sensei

May 24, 2018
I played this a while ago and liked the premise and thought it gonna be some cool action/detective VN, with a seemingly powerful MC who takes no shit, and gets all the girls, even steals some girls, i skipped a couple updates and now this game turned to ntr and with dev releasing a sidestory with optional ntr, i mean what happened there? did the patrons wanted it or it was the plan from the start cuz when i played before i didn't really see it comming....pretty sadge to let this one go :(

kauthor

Jun 15, 2018
Stop by to tell you guys that v1.5 is out for Patreon. Maybe someone will get it and post it here. This is the conclusion to chapter one. I'm working on designing a system for chapter two right now and fixing some character looks. Such as the main character and Jen. (just the skin) If you have a suggestion for (gameplay-wise) what you want to see in chapter two, put it up now. If I can do it, I will consider it. If you one of those guys think everything is easy and say it not that hard to do and start typing up detail, step by step, instruction on how it can be done, send it in PM… But you better know what you talking about, or I will light your ass up for wasting my time… Oh, and make it idiot proof… Most of the time, I have no idea how much blood I have left mixing with the alcohol in my body while working on The Company.

While trying to develop a system for Chapter two, I will be putting out one or two side stories. (They are linked to Bad Company's main plot.) They both will be short stories. And won't affect the development times for Chapter two. One is a simple Dating sim. With Option for NTR (now NTR part won't be forced. make the right choice, and you'll never see it/Stop it before it starts. I'll even make it idiot proof if I have to.) 2nd story will be a revenge story. I can't guaranty that I will release both stories. It depends on how fast I can put together a system and get it to work. OR if I just give up and use a simple point system. Should I finish with chapter two system before the story wrap up. I will be working on the side story on my gaming pc. Until it finish.
Just to be clear, the NTR won't be forced now for Chapter 1? Or for Chapter 2?

SeveredRealms

Game Developer
Apr 10, 2020
Just to be clear, the NTR won't be forced now for Chapter 1? Or for Chapter 2?
I was just about to ask that. hopefully it will be a option to avoid it later as well. looks good might enjoy it but I dont likentr and forced to view ntr personally. As long as its a option for those that do awesome.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
The NTR refers to the MC stealing, not being stolen from.
Uhm, it refers to the Reika and ninja girls scene, so def being stolen from since he has just more or less been forced earlier in same update to get married to Reika in near future. Now whether you see that as NTR or not (always debatable), but that is what the tag was added for. It was not only problem people had with last update though, since as player you were also forced to have sex with her while being bound up directly after and be happy about that after all earlier things even before that ninja girls scene in the update which already might have been enough to not be enthusiastic about that.. :p

Reactions: Sngo and Cernunnos.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Uhm, it refers to the Reika and ninja girls scene, so def being stolen from since he has just more or less been forced earlier in same update to get married to Reika in near future. Now whether you see that as NTR or not (always debatable), but that is what the tag was added for. It was not only problem people had with last update though, since as player you were also forced to have sex with her directly after and be happy about that. :p
I haven't played the latest. If that happens, I'm done. The previous was the MC fucking the one guys wife and then fucking her while she talked to the idiot son. So, maybe it's changed.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I haven't played the latest. If that happens, I'm done. The previous was the MC fucking the one guys wife and then fucking her while she talked to the idiot son. So, maybe it's changed.
What I said happened in 1.4 as far as I know and it was quite a spectacle in thread at the time. :p It felt to me like dev wanted to show MC was in over his head and not almighty, but overhit the mark by factor 100 and forgetting how disliked forced NPC sex is in a game that immerses around MC for many and thought it would be sexy cause lesbian. :p

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
What I said happened in 1.4 as far as I know and it was quite a spectacle in thread at the time. :p It felt to me like dev wanted to show MC was in over his head and not almighty, but overhit the mark by factor 100 and forgetting how disliked forced NPC sex is in a game that immerses around MC for many and thought it would be sexy cause lesbian. :p
Last I played it was when the shit I mentioned happened. Whatever one that was. Well, shit. Guess I'll just wish the dev well on this one now. Not in the mood to go ape shit over it. Ahahaha

KingWeWuz

Mar 8, 2019
Just played it, way to fuck up a game in one scene :cautious:
I read alot of the context. Lol. Thanks for the time saved.

EDIT: Oh I see it's now optional? OK so I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 13 Votes