recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Why do I keep getting this error message whenever I go to the entrance hall?
View attachment 564142
I've never seen that error popping up before, and I haven't changed this particular image since it's introduction in... v0.1.6 I believe, so the error must lie somewhere else, maybe the full traceback could help.

longjohngold

Jan 22, 2020
A couple of things I noticed ... if you turn off the textbox background then you can't see your name while typing it at the start (it's black on black) so that's a bit confusing ... if you pick a long first name it'll overlap into the text (maybe due to the overly fancy font for names)... the white text with black shadow when talking works really well even without the textbox background, but the black text with white shadow used when thinking is very jarring (I think just putting it in italics and parentheses is sufficient, no need for a 3rd indicator) ... but I did really appreciate that you can scale the text size and things, I've played a couple games that have opted for a rather unpleasantly small text size.

But yeah I really enjoyed the game, would like to feel like there were more choices, most just seem to be if you want to have content with someone or not, other than that there's not much going on, I guess I'd like to decide on how I treat people and what I do, especially given the power you have over certain characters, I feel like I'd try to get away with more than he does atm.

Reactions: recreation

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I really don't want to complain, but I see this cafe in every second game.
Honestly, there's really not a whole lot of options for Cafes. It seems odd but trust me, I've searched. I've also done tons of customization on common scenes to make them look unique but it usually just ends up making the scene too heavy and then the VRAM can't hold it all.

I hate that we have to reuse so much too. But it is what it is.

blackmagic616

Dec 29, 2019
I wanted to say that I don't remember seeing that cafe in other games. (because of terrible memory and all :p )
Well, when I said that I saw this cafe in every second game, I really mean it.

Bad Memories by recreation:

The Dreamwriter by Envixer:

But maybe we should view it as a really succesfull chain of café's all around the globe? :unsure:
You are probably right. :p
But it is a little pitty that there are only three cafes (Cafe Luca, i13 Trendy Coffee Shop and yet another one - sorry, I forgot the name), two parks (The Forgotten Park and Haven Park), and just one high school (School's Out) on the entire world. ;)

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Well, when I said that I saw this cafe in every second game, I really mean it.

Bad Memories by recreation:

The Dreamwriter by Envixer:

You are probably right. :p
But it is a little pitty that there are only three cafes (Cafe Luca, i13 Trendy Coffee Shop and yet another one - sorry, I forgot the name), two parks (The Forgotten Park and Haven Park), and just one high school (School's Out) on the entire world. ;)

There are realy not many options here, but I took this one especially because it's the one that's used less then the other cafe's... and I did a bit customization^^

Honestly, there's so much other stuff that get's re-used in so many games. The same bedrooms, the same furniture, the same character models... just as and example: would you be able to count how many times you've seen the boys and girls dorm room, the school classroom, the school hallway, or the DMD character in games?

Aside from the cafe and the pillows in MC's/Ellies rooms, you won't find much that is used anywhere else, because I tried to avoid using these overused assets as best as possible and I made a lot of the assets I use in BM myself ;)

Yeah, this is straight fire. You got yourself a substar.

I wonder if they dev played Xenogears. Ellie reminds me of Elly from that game.

View attachment 564669
Sadly not, I don't know the character, but I think played Xenosaga and it was gooood :giggle:

A couple of things I noticed ... if you turn off the textbox background then you can't see your name while typing it at the start (it's black on black) so that's a bit confusing ... if you pick a long first name it'll overlap into the text (maybe due to the overly fancy font for names)... the white text with black shadow when talking works really well even without the textbox background, but the black text with white shadow used when thinking is very jarring (I think just putting it in italics and parentheses is sufficient, no need for a 3rd indicator) ... but I did really appreciate that you can scale the text size and things, I've played a couple games that have opted for a rather unpleasantly small text size.

But yeah I really enjoyed the game, would like to feel like there were more choices, most just seem to be if you want to have content with someone or not, other than that there's not much going on, I guess I'd like to decide on how I treat people and what I do, especially given the power you have over certain characters, I feel like I'd try to get away with more than he does atm.
First of all: Thx :)
There are a few things about the textbox I have to get fixed for the next update, this will be included.
Yeah the font isn't really good for long names, but most people usually choose a short name, and since especially the dialogue UI is a bitch, I try to avoid messing with it, unless it's really necessary.
There are some choices that will influence the NPC behavior towards MC in the later game.

Reactions: Namco15

blackmagic616

Dec 29, 2019
There are realy not many options here, but I took this one especially because it's the one that's used less then the other cafe's... and I did a bit customization^^
Customization?! Did you cut off the saleswoman's penis?!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

Honestly, there's so much other stuff that get's re-used in so many games. The same bedrooms, the same furniture, the same character models... just as and example: would you be able to count how many times you've seen the boys and girls dorm room, the school classroom, the school hallway, or the DMD character in games?
Not sure about the school classroom or hallway, but as I said, the one school building (from outside) is pretty common.
DMD character? I can remember her only from Man of the house (although I've never play it) and Parental Love, but there she just made a guest-appearance (at the hairdresser). On the other hand, the guy who looks like Dr House (boss in Hanna's Boat Trip) is pretty common. The same applies to the disgusting fat guy (boss in Pandora's Box). It seems to me that we lack of good male characters. :/

Aside from the cafe and the pillows in MC's/Ellies rooms, you won't find much that is used anywhere else, because I tried to avoid using these overused assets as best as possible and I made a lot of the assets I use in BM myself ;)
I get it. I just feel strange when I see the same location in many games.
Usually there is a story associated with the place and it is hard to me to get rid of it from my head.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Customization?! Did you cut off the saleswoman's penis?!
Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

Not sure about the school classroom or hallway, but as I said, the one school building (from outside) is pretty common.
DMD character? I can remember her only from Man of the house (although I've never play it) and Parental Love, but there she just made a guest-appearance (at the hairdresser). On the other hand, the guy who looks like Dr House is pretty common. The same applies to the disgusting fat guy. It seems to me that we lack of good male characters. :/

I get it. I just feel strange when I see the same location in many games.
Usually there is a story associated with the place and it is hard to me to get rid of it from my head.
You can even see a difference when you compare the screens you postet, just look at the wall xD

that classroom:
and that hallway:

Yeah the "school's out" asset is quite common, but if you ask me, it's one of the worst assets to use as a school, I mean, take away the sign and no one would even think that it's a school. It looks more like an old industrial building^^

Regarding the characters, I'm more or less talking about the base models of some characters. You see slight variations all over the place, but it's always the same model and it's visible. The MC of Milfy City is a good example here, I've seen the model in several games, sometimes 1 to 1 the same, sometimes slightly different. Another example: Black male characters... sometimes I have the feeling that there's only one black male model existing, I can't remember seeing a single distinctive black male character in any game... though I have to admit that I haven't played many games since I started developing.

blackmagic616

Dec 29, 2019
You can even see a difference when you compare the screens you postet, just look at the wall xD
that classroom:
and that hallway:
To be honest, I remember it only from Milfy City. Maybe I saw it in Apartament 69, but I'm not sure. Indecent Desires, for example, had a completely different school.

Yeah the "school's out" asset is quite common, but if you ask me, it's one of the worst assets to use as a school, I mean, take away the sign and no one would even think that it's a school. It looks more like an old industrial building^^
This is why it is commonly used as a gym building. :D

Regarding the characters, I'm more or less talking about the base models of some characters. You see slight variations all over the place, but it's always the same model and it's visible. The MC of Milfy City is a good example here, I've seen the model in several games, sometimes 1 to 1 the same, sometimes slightly different.
This is what I was talking about. This guy appears in many games, usually as a boss.
Hanna’s Boat-trip Gregory.png

Another example: Black male characters... sometimes I have the feeling that there's only one black male model existing, I can't remember seeing a single distinctive black male character in any game... though I have to admit that I haven't played many games since I started developing.
Funny guy from Acting Lessons? :D

He is visible in almost every game that includes black guy. :p

4.40 star(s) 202 Votes