bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
But the weird thing is that she didn't start speaking. Later Katherine said after prodding her that Ellie is perfectly fine.:unsure: So why would she not speak again? :confused:
Maybe she figured out that other people care more about her if she won't speak? Makes her more mysterious perhaps? Maybe worried that she will say something she'll regret if she speaks? Or just "meh, why bother"?. :)

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
BTW - recreation is on vacation for a bout a week (I think) then, I believe, work starts on Weird Shit

So he may not be around these parts (maybe) for a bit

Just to get a jump on people thinking the next update should be coming soon (or some other unrealistic thought)

Now carry on

PEACE

Reactions: sava75

Cygnus X-1

Jul 17, 2021
Oh, not going to lie, both of those ideas occurred to me as well.

As did Johnson. He's pretty protective of us, and seems to understand what sort of home life we had/why we were a bad kid. Maybe he took matters into his own hands to try and help...

If anything, Rachel's comment about how it would be really bad if Ward keeps looking into the old case too much implies there's definitely more involved than anyone is willing to admit. Someone's guilty of something, and some sort of cover-up definitely seems to have happened.
Rachel did it, but in self-defense / it was an accident. Johnson helped to cover it up / sort it out that Rachel wouldn't get implicated. Did mc witness it? Did Ellie? Couldn't Rachel's state of mind or mc's gotten worse because of it?

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Next Katherine. Urg, Jill you dumbass for the love of God notice that she was talking about you when speaking about her flashback. :LOL::FacePalm:
Yeah, I had that vibe in that scene too. :D

Too bad she is angry and/or jealous of wanting to be a fifth wheel on this thing that Jill has going on at her house (noticed how Kath already put Rachel on the wheel too with Jada and Ellie :p).
She knows about Ellie and Jada huh? Not hugely surprising. She's not getting it though, the 'fifth wheel' would be the third person, Jada, if it were just a couple.
That's not how I interpreted that scene.

The phrase "fifth wheel" just means someone superfluous (ie, a car has four wheels, a fifth wheel isn't necessary). Sometimes people will say it as "third wheel" instead (meaning the same thing, just referring more to bikes with two wheels), but it's not a explicit expression of how many people are involved.

Katherine says she knows about you and Ellie, but she doesn't really give any indication that she knows about Rachel, Jada, Hanna, or anyone else.

All she's really saying in that scene is that she doesn't really want to get in the way of whatever relationship you may have with Ellie. Which, depending on how you interpret it, can be because she's afraid it will hurt Ellie (her patient), or that she'll always be second-best in your eyes (when she actually kind of wants you all to herself).

Her perception of the situation might change if she knew Jada was sort of tying herself to both you and Ellie, Rachel was making a move on you (and you were reciprocating), and you had any number of other side hussles going on.

I don't really get why Rachel was so insistent that she sleep with Ellie instead of us. Maybe at some point we'll be able to have both of them sleeping with us? Might need a bigger bed; it seemed pretty cramped that morning.
My assumption is either jealousy or worry, depending on how you interpret her phone conversation with "Precious".

The subtext seems pretty clear that Rachel is interested in you, and maybe even considering making a move, but is hesitant to do so because she's worried about how it will affect your relationship with Ellie (she mentions the two of you are apparently getting close again). The innocent way to interpret that is that Rachel means your relationship as sisters, and she's completely unaware that Ellie's interest runs much deeper. In that scenario, it feels like her main worry is that she doesn't want to flirt with you because it might scare you off again and Ellie will lose her sister again, so she's trying to be responsible. In which case her wanting to keep Jada away from you is probably more just personal jealousy than anything.

But there's also the possibility that she's very much aware of Ellie's interest in you, and is willing to allow it (even if just because "I've been a bad mother and I want her to be happy"). If so, she wants to keep her own distance from you because she doesn't want to "steal" you from Ellie. And in that scenario she's probably worried about Jada getting too close to you because she doesn't want Jada stealing you away from Ellie either.

Keep in mind, an underlying theme in this story is that about 99% of everyone's problems would probably be solved fairly quickly if they were all just willing to TALK about how they actually feel. It's awkwardness and embarrassment that's keeping people from explaining how they feel, which is just making things more complicated.

Also it's a little harsh calling us scum, we were in a rough place back then but I think that's a little strong.
Arguably, you weren't even in a rough place - she assumed you were because you showed up in a place where gangs hung out and drug deals happened, but you yourself mention that you weren't into that scene.

Keep in mind just how formative that event clearly was in Katherine's life - it's the reason why she became a psychologist. She's spent years assuming you were a terrrible person who in that random moment did a good thing, and she wanted to understand how people can be so complex. Even if she realized exactly who you were later, she never would have been able to examine or talk to you because you were already gone. When she became Ellie's therapist it gave her the opportunity to learn more about you and who/what sort of person you were (which is probably the main reason why she became Ellie's therapist, even when no one else wanted to take the job). She's built up this entire complicated assumption of what made you YOU, which was a key aspect of her life. And it would always be a complicated knot because she'd never see you again.

Now you're back, actively in her life, and she's being forced to completely reevaluate all her assumptions about what sort of person you were. All while she's a bit sexually confused and aroused and you're pushing things. She's trying to push you away while still accepting your advances. She's trying to do right by her patient even if it's not what she wants for herself. One of the first things she does is break up with her boyfriend (and then tells said boyfriend that you're her girlfriend) - she's clearly waaay into you, even if she can't quite accept it herself yet.

Pretty much everything she thought she knew or assumed about the world is apparently wrong. It's not surprising that she'd be leaning into her old assumptions and lashing out a bit in her confusion. In a way, everything would be so much simpler if you were just the "stupid scum" she always assumed you were. Why did you have to be so loveable?

Plus, she's already figured out that when she's an asshole to you she can annoy you into being rough with her, and she's getting off on it. As you yourself figure out, she's deliberately escalating situations and could stop you at any time, but won't. Part of the appeal for her is being dominated.

Ugh, we really need to get that asshole cop fired or something. Even with a record that doesn't give any random donut-muncher license to harass us, he's no detective assigned to anything, he's a random patrol cop. Especially since I'd suspect that it was a juvenile record.
Wouldn't necessarily matter. Our general rebelliousness and occasional childhood misdemeanors would fall under juvenile record laws and be legally sealed to the public, but he's sniffing after what he considers to be a "suspicious death", and there's no statute of limitations on murder. If he can prove we were involved, he'd still have grounds to investigate us for it and take action.

Keep in mind, it's not just that he's an asshole and has taken an immediate disliking to us (compounded by the fact that we just happened to show up to move into a building the exact same day it burns down), but he's clearly ambitious. He's hoping that if he solves a case that's been cold for years, it will earn him a promotion.

So he's got motive to keep looking until he's absolutely sure that he can't find anything he can make stick... or until he has an "accident" of his own.

I like Johnson's vote of confidence in us. Jada can be wild, but she isn't bad, she's just as he says a little trouble-maker.
It's pretty obvious that he sees her exactly the same way he sees us (especially if we're playing female MC). She's a good kid growing up in bad circumstances who just needs a guiding hand to help them cope with their issues and be a better person. She's not a criminal or a monster - she's a victim.

To Johnson, the fact that we left town, got our stuff together, and seemingly came back as a responsible adult with a job and a willingness to try and fix things shows that there's always hope. Proof that people can overcome their past.

It's why he's so quick to agree that Jada should live with us - he's hoping we can become the parental figure in her life and help her without having to go through some of the harsher stuff we did.

Rachel may have opened herself up to the idea of sharing with Jada, but I don't think she knows about Ellie and would probably not react well to that yet.
Hard to say. Like I mentioned above, there's a chance she already knows, or at least suspects. But is aware of just how much of a shit she's been to both MC and Ellie in the past, and how much of their damage is at least partly her fault (even if she was also a victim, in her own way), that she's not willing to stand in the way of something that seems to be making both of them happy. She keeps hiring therapists to try and help Ellie - it's possible that she's desperate enough now to see such a thing as the only real solution. If the only way for them to be a happy family again is just for everybody to bone... well, maybe some part of her is willing to accept the idea.

That being said, it's also possible that as Ellie/MC and Rachel/MC evolve as separate relationships, we're eventually going to see sparks fly down the line as Ellie starts getting jealous of her mom and Rachel sort of has to juggle her own confusing conflicting emotions over the taboo, over her own jealously, and her desire to try and fix things.

Reactions: DiableFripon

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
As far as mystery solving goes, I feel like we are more like Scooby Doo than Sherlock Holmes. :ROFLMAO:
I felt Ellie was trying go looking for the mc. But I always worried something happened to her. Like she was kidnapped or someone assaulted her. A traumatic experience in short. Maybe just the mc leaving was traumatizing enough for her. Like you wrote, she felt the mc had abandoned her.
There is also the possibility that Ellie just wanted to get out of the house. Can't have been easy living alone with alcoholic Rachel.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Since you brought that up again. Another aspect of Ellie is that she is very often underestimated, for example Rachel thinking she is incapable of handling electronics for some reason. She already has a strong will, but MC helping her to let go of her fear will make her a formidable woman I think.
I kind of interpret that differently. I see it more as a means of manipulation.

ie, Ellie doesn't want Rachel to know she's good at electronics. So she deliberately plays dumb. She lets her guard down around us with the laptop because she doesn't feel as strong a need to hide.

I could see a scenario where Rachel was like "Oh, if we get you a phone and you can text and we can get around you not being able to speak!", and Ellie deliberately shut that down because she doesn't want to speak to Rachel.

Which ties into...

But the weird thing is that she didn't start speaking. Later Katherine said after prodding her that Ellie is perfectly fine.:unsure: So why would she not speak again?
It's also sort of implied at one point that Ellie might be talking to Jada. Now, that could just be Jada reading into what she thinks Ellie wants/means and extrapolating, but she often seems to talk about ideas and concepts that would be way too elaborate for Ellie to convey just through awkward body language. And at least one thing Jada says sort of explicitly hints at her admitting Ellie can talk when she wants to.

If that's the case, Ellie's muteness isn't really psychological at all (at least not as a trauma coping mechanism), but is a deliberate choice on her part. And likely a very manipulative one (which is something Katherine would probably be able to figure out on her own, even if she doesn't reveal to Ellie that she knows).

I think it's mentioned in the dialogue with Steph that CJ had his fingers in hiring you. Or a least encourages Steph to engage more with the mc as he knows she is shy and doesn't have time dating and he wants to help her.
Steph tells you that she's the one who initiated the project - CJ didn't even know they needed it, but agreed with her after she brought it up. It's pretty clear that he's a very hands-off sort of boss. Which in turn leads you to ask her if she's the one who hired you.

She doesn't deny it, but she changes the subject and dodges the hell out of your follow-up questions. The one straight answer she gives, you immediately point out the logic flaw (Why would you hire a new, unknown developer to save costs, and then pay them twice as much as the average salary?).

It's blatantly obvious that she's the one who had full authority to hire you specifically, and had ulterior motives for doing so. So much so that it feels like the only reason you were hired at all was to specifically get you to come back to the town.

There's also a line where you mention that Steph couldn't have just hired you because she thought you were attractive, because you didn't attach a picture of yourself to your job application. Granted, it's possible she looked up your name online and found a picture of you and immediately swooned at your impossibly good looks, but the implication seems to be that she might have known who you were even before you applied.

Odds are she's another Katherine scenario - someone from our past who we've completely forgotten but who we left a much stronger impression on than we realized.

But I don't remember mc telling her where they will be staying. Here's where Maggy comes into play.
It would also be extremely easy for Maggy to deliberately put you in the worst possible apartment she can find, knowing that it would make you much, much more likely to accept Rachel's offer to come live at home.

It doesn't even necessarily need to involve direct collusion between Maggy and Rachel - if Rachel calls Maggy to tell her that you're back in town and she met you in the cafe, and that she offered to let you stay with her but you had no interest, Maggy could easily take the initiative to tell you there were no available apartments other than the shittiest one in town to steer you towards Rachel, because she felt like reconnecting and coming to terms with your past would be better for both of you.

It might also tie into the idea that, if Maggy was the "precious" on the phone with Rachel, that she could have been actively encouraging Rachel to pursue a romantic relationship with you. ie, Maggy's trying to do what she thinks is best for Rachel without Rachel knowing.

I'm not sure I'd call them addictive, I mean they're medication to suppress her panic attacks, so if she feels a panic attack coming on she would need them to help her with that. I wouldn't call that them being addictive if what she's addicted to is 'not having panic attacks'.
She doesn't really take them when panic attacks happen, though. They're general anti-anxiety pills that she takes on a regular schedule, at a specific time.

You could argue that she was just worried that if she stopped taking them at all she'd start feeling bad, but she's really desperate for them when she's drunk ("I neeeeeed it!"), and she's super-awkward about them when she's asking for them back. And she kind of repeats the "I need them" line when you ask if she's ever gone a day without one. And she mentions they'll "make her feel good" when she's drunk, in a way that kind of feels like it leans into more of an addictive model.

You could argue that her dependency is more mental than physical, but it definite feels like more of a case that they're either addictive or she's just too afraid to stop taking them than it is that she just needs her meds and it's a perfectly innocent thing.

Now that we've got so much closer to her though, I do wonder if we'll be trying to help get her off the medicine (like I believe we talked about trying to) by spending time with her and trying to help her calm down without the pills.
I'd definitely like the idea. We already voice our concern with whether or not she should be taking them, and suggest she starts weaning herself off them, it would be nice to see a payoff for that where we can help her stop. Or even just have a moment where we bring them up again and she's like "Oh, I stopped taking them a week ago."

Plus, if she's mostly taking them to cope with the pain of her past, and us being there and reconnecting (in more ways than one) is starting to heal old wounds, it would be nice to see her start to feel like she no longer needs them, and can stop.

If anything, I think that's why she's on experimental drugs in the first place. Normal psychotropics weren't working because she doesn't actually suffer from clinical depression or anxiety, as much as she's just stewing in her own grief and pain and regret. She's taking the drugs to block out the pain of her own bad memories. Which is why they're addictive - when she takes them, it's the one time she can just forget, and stop hating herself.

Of course, the pervert in me wants her to let us stay with her while she takes one, with a coy 'you aren't going to take advantage of me are you? That would be just awful~!'
Or she doesn't take one, but still acts like she's drugged, because she wants to remember you taking advantage of her.

In at least one of the scenes, I was convinced that I was going to walk in and assume she was under, but there'd be indications that she didn't take her pills that day and was just playing along (or not playing along and acting confused about why I was being so weird). Not necessarily in a sexual context, but just in a "this relationship is going to get even more awkward and complicated!" sort of way.

I still wouldn't be surprised if it happens at some point in the future.

Bonus points if she was never taking experimental drugs at all, they're just placebos with a made-up label, and she's been scamming us the whole time, because she felt like she could be more honest with us and with herself if she was pretending to be drugged. Sort of like a crutch that lets her say what she wants to say, but would be too ashamed to ever just come right out and say. But I don't really feel like the story is going that way, as interesting a twist as it might be.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Considering the scene where you find out that she's the one who actually hired you, that she did so in spite of you not being the person most qualified for the job, and she's clearly uncomfortable telling you the real reason why, there's definitely something up with her as well. She's essentially the entire reason why you came back to town at all - so if she's connected to Rachel, Maggy, or Rachel and Maggy together, she'd be key to manipulating you back into the house.
It's funny, you have all these theories, most of which Reccy has already covered, and then this one ..... one that is already explained in the game.

It goes over why she hired the MC, she wants to fuck them.

Lupin the 3rd

Sep 21, 2019
Will Ellie speak again If MC gets his Harem (aka "that's everything I wished for" type) ?

Will Ellie and Rachel also have group scenes with MC later and/or Ellie and Rachel Scenes without a third party?

anonbaggins

Mar 20, 2019
Added an updated version, all previous fixes included, some typos fixed, and I used a newer renpy version this time, hope this helps people that were previously unable to install on android or mac.
Still can't get it to work on Mac. What am I doing wrong? File size of what LOOKS like the Mac version is only 27.9 MB too. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Cygnus X-1

Jul 17, 2021
I kind of interpret that differently. I see it more as a means of manipulation.

ie, Ellie doesn't want Rachel to know she's good at electronics. So she deliberately plays dumb. She lets her guard down around us with the laptop because she doesn't feel as strong a need to hide.

I could see a scenario where Rachel was like "Oh, if we get you a phone and you can text and we can get around you not being able to speak!", and Ellie deliberately shut that down because she doesn't want to speak to Rachel.

Which ties into...

It's also sort of implied at one point that Ellie might be talking to Jada. Now, that could just be Jada reading into what she thinks Ellie wants/means and extrapolating, but she often seems to talk about ideas and concepts that would be way too elaborate for Ellie to convey just through awkward body language. And at least one thing Jada says sort of explicitly hints at her admitting Ellie can talk when she wants to.

If that's the case, Ellie's muteness isn't really psychological at all (at least not as a trauma coping mechanism), but is a deliberate choice on her part. And likely a very manipulative one (which is something Katherine would probably be able to figure out on her own, even if she doesn't reveal to Ellie that she knows).
Which leads us back to the question why. Why would she don't want Rachel to know that she has no problem of speaking or using electronics? ;) Seems Ellie's and Rachel's relationship is more damaged than it looks at first. :unsure: Does she (still) blame her mom for treating mc (her "hero") like crap? And wants to "punish" her?
What would happen if she, god forbid, saw her mom and mc making out or just kissing? Would she feel betrayed or would she be curious? Maybe thinking mc has made up with mom and even perhaps lead her to think whether she could forgive her too?

Last edited:

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
The biggest hurdle in the relationship between Rachel and Ellie is that Ellie has probably blamed Rachel (at least in part) for driving the MC away. "It's your fault they left me!" is going to make for a toxic relationship, complicated even more by Rachel's own alcoholism and anger, but countered by the fact that she's still Ellie's primary caregiver, and is clearly making a sincere effort to help her/improve herself.

Seeing Rachel and MC kiss probably results in a bit of jealousy, but might also result in a sort of "If they're getting along now MC won't leave me again!" sort of mentality. So it could easily go either way. Especially if Jada's already putting the idea of threesomes and harems into Ellie's head.

Cygnus X-1

Jul 17, 2021
I'd definitely like the idea. We already voice our concern with whether or not she should be taking them, and suggest she starts weaning herself off them, it would be nice to see a payoff for that where we can help her stop. Or even just have a moment where we bring them up again and she's like "Oh, I stopped taking them a week ago."

Plus, if she's mostly taking them to cope with the pain of her past, and us being there and reconnecting (in more ways than one) is starting to heal old wounds, it would be nice to see her start to feel like she no longer needs them, and can stop.

If anything, I think that's why she's on experimental drugs in the first place. Normal psychotropics weren't working because she doesn't actually suffer from clinical depression or anxiety, as much as she's just stewing in her own grief and pain and regret. She's taking the drugs to block out the pain of her own bad memories. Which is why they're addictive - when she takes them, it's the one time she can just forget, and stop hating herself.
Rec has said she had successfully overcome alcohol addiction, which in itself requires lot of willpower and deserves respect. :) But still was suffering from depression. That's why she started taking the (new and properly untested) pills. Which alone doesn't sound as bad and wouldn't require medication, surely not special pills. But depression can be a nasty business. As it can range from mild to severe. Which would tie into my theory about Rachel's state of mind after mc left. But if you put it that way, it sounds awfully like she just replaced alcohol with drugs. Though mind you, not of her own volition, but recommended by a doctor. I would very much like to get her off the pills. :( I think we can already see the first steps to betterment. :)

Cygnus X-1

Jul 17, 2021
Especially if Jada's already putting the idea of threesomes and harems into Ellie's head.
Although not bad, Jada is not a good Samaritan. She has her own interests in mind and wants all four of you to get into one bed because she wants to sleep with all three people! :rolleyes: :D She does consider Ellie her (best, maybe only) friend though. Only later she startet to regard the mc more than a hot piece of ass.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Jada is the main pusher for the poly relationship, that on itself doesn't make her bad and she did finally had a heart to heart conversation with Rachel about her mother after that asshole cop (forgot his name again) appeared again. So i say they are on the right track to have a healthy relationship with Rachel.

Also considering how the dev (Rec) has been treating the story i don't see Rachel simply getting miraculous cured of depression anytime soon. Better? Sure now that she finally mended the scars in her relationship with Jill but i still see her having a long road to the cure.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Jada is looking to make a harem, she's looking to make a poly house. She isn't going to let the MC have all the fun. Her and Ellie still have their fun together and neither of them will give that up. They agree to share Jill and Jada is pushing to bring Rachel in.

Pretty sure Kat will get involved at some point. They probably all will.

That being said it isn't going to be "find a girl, bring them in" like other games similar to this do. Rachel is a looong way off getting out from under her depression. Hannah has home issues. Kat we're still learning about and we need to bring work girl out of her shell.

I think Mags would be down for anything really.

Then we have MC's past to deal with.

I don't think she killed her dad, MC didn't have problems there, her issues were with Rachel. If Jill was going to off anyone in the house it would have been her.

In her youth Jill knew all the dodgy folks so my guess is she was into some bad shit.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Kath i can see her accepting being the fifth wheel on this poly relationship after some convincing, she is already melting thinking about Jill's hands most of the time. But i really can't see Steph or Hana as anything other than monogamous people so far. :unsure:

From what Jonhson implied Jill was pretty much a rebel without cause, just causing small trouble here and there as her way to cope with her father's death and Rachel's constant abuse. It is just that stupid cop (Ward) who got on his head Jill is some kinda of druglord/big time criminal.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Kath i can see her accepting being the fifth wheel on this poly relationship after some convincing, she is already melting thinking about Jill's hands most of the time. But i really can't see Steph or Hana as anything other than monogamous people so far. :unsure:

From what Jonhson implied Jill was pretty much a rebel without cause, just causing small trouble here and there as her way to cope with her father's death and Rachel's constant abuse. It is just that stupid cop (Ward) who got on his head Jill is some kinda of druglord/big time criminal.
Something happened.

They said if he looks deeper he'll find her record which is currently sealed. At some point in her past she did something.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Something happened.

They said if he looks deeper he'll find her record which is currently sealed. At some point in her past she did something.
There is no mention of Jill being sent to prison/reformatory so whatever is in her sealed records is likely not the smoking gun the asshole cop is looking for. I think he is more likely to try to get her in jail by planting drugs or weapons in her car than getting anything useful from those records.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Still can't get it to work on Mac. What am I doing wrong? File size of what LOOKS like the Mac version is only 27.9 MB too. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
show package content on app - contents - macOS - open badmemories executable file.

Reactions: anonbaggins
4.40 star(s) 202 Votes