Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
So you're showing examples of night scenes with artificial, bright light sources present to show how a scene which appears to NOT have a bright light source present is not good? Apples to oranges much? I think both the original and the modified version look fine, on my crap dinky desktop monitor.
I'm showing pictures with light sources, yes. Just for you, here's an example of an image without any light sources:
black.png
Better?

Well, let me be honest here, they aren't the best examples for night scenes. The first one has a really low contrast and obviously a lot of artifical light sources, where the scene with Jada only has one.
The second one again has very low contrast and is a brighter scene in general, plus I'm sure there's artifical light too.
The third one uses a spotlight that is so obvious and clearly just there to light the scene, that's nothing I would even consider doing.
And the last one, well that's good for a movie, but I'm always trying to light my scenes like they would be lit in real life. Of course I'm doing compromises here an there, but as I said, I think it looks good, and it seems the majority agrees.

The thing is, this is just 2 or 3 images, Jada enters the room, the background is dark (because night), the room is lit, so the next image is already brighter. There is really no reason to go into argument because of that.

Still, thanks for your effort, I apprechiate it.
Uh wha? All three of those images have much more contrast than even the brighter version of Jada...
Screenshot from 2020-01-27 04-24-00.png Screenshot from 2020-01-27 04-27-29.png Screenshot from 2020-01-27 04-27-40.png Screenshot from 2020-01-27 04-43-31.png
The only one that doesn't use the full brightness range is the third, but it still has substantial highlights that she lacks (the high end of light in that picture is the white area above her, not highlights on her).
The number of lights isn't really relevant, a single light should provide harder light than multiple. Look at the faces, they have a strong light side and dark side. The backgrounds are only really relevant in that they provide the context telling you that it's night-time.
If she's only going to appear momentarily before the lights are turned on though, it doesn't matter much, no. I brought it up because I've seen several devs shoot entire scenes that are that badly lit. And that's terrible.
40cakes_4996.jpg

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I'm showing pictures with light sources, yes. Just for you, here's an example of an image without any light sources:
View attachment 530644
Better?

Uh wha? All three of those images have much more contrast than even the brighter version of Jada...
View attachment 530645 View attachment 530646 View attachment 530647 View attachment 530653
The only one that doesn't use the full brightness range is the third, but it still has substantial highlights that she lacks (the high end of light in that picture is the white area above her, not highlights on her).
The number of lights isn't really relevant, a single light should provide harder light than multiple. Look at the faces, they have a strong light side and dark side. The backgrounds are only really relevant in that they provide the context telling you that it's night-time.
If she's only going to appear momentarily before the lights are turned on though, it doesn't matter much, no. I brought it up because I've seen several devs shoot entire scenes that are that badly lit. And that's terrible.
View attachment 530667
What you're showing there is the color range/tonal histogram. A big range means that it has a big color contrast (lot's of colors), but color contrast and brightness contrast are different things, plus you took the second image of Jada where I actually did reduce the overall contrast and upped the brightness (not gamma) in post, to make her better visible.

dovalacky

Nov 13, 2019
There is plenty of scenes that have the same level or even less light depending on the context of where they are happening. One below just happens to come from something I am watching atm. For good 30 secs before this screenshot it was so dark you could only see basic movement.
Obviously there is either a good moon or the hallway light is on in the Jada one or it would be even darker.
It's fine for a night shot.
vlcsnap-2020-01-27-05h48m45s914.jpg

Reactions: recreation

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
What you're showing there is the color range/tonal histogram. A big range means that it has a big color contrast (lot's of colors), but color contrast and brightness contrast are different things, plus you took the second image of Jada where I actually did reduce the overall contrast and upped the brightness (not gamma) in post, to make her better visible.
There's precious little difference between the RGB histogram and the value histogram, either will do to judge overall range:
Screenshot from 2020-01-27 12-02-00.png Screenshot from 2020-01-27 12-02-13.png
Basically the same shape.

There is plenty of scenes that have the same level or even less light depending on the context of where they are happening. One below just happens to come from something I am watching atm. For good 30 secs before this screenshot it was so dark you could only see basic movement.
Obviously there is either a good moon or the hallway light is on in the Jada one or it would be even darker.
It's fine for a night shot.
View attachment 530758
Yes, sometimes directors put in scenes so annoyingly dark you can't tell what is going on. Doesn't mean it's a good thing. And you can get away with more in video anyway, because of the motion you mention. With a still you have to peer at the screen to see what is being pictured, and that's a bad thing.

Reactions: qwerty76423578

DarrenH

Feb 5, 2019
It's brighter, but still feels like the lighting range is too compressed to me. There are no highlights, which makes the image look flat. Here are a few images I found on google, they all look like night-time but are more visually interesting in my opinion.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Of course the subject doesn't have to be well-lit, but in cases where that is not the case it's usually a silhouette effect:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I think you should wait for the update as the context of the scene means there arent any artificial light sources available.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Did you change any old stuff beyond renders? Should i replay from start or just continue from save?
A few, changed the cop model, so I rerendered them all, a few kitchen render, but nothing really important.

well some people use MM-DD-YYYY and some use DD-MM-YYYY and with YYYY-MM-DD no one gets confused
I do xD

Hello dose this game have NTR or sharing with other guys i hope not ?
I just edited the tags for you (genre spoiler) ;)

Very hard to finish like that man, i love you and hate you at the same time
:p

4.40 star(s) 204 Votes