Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
BioWare is just a name now. Since EA bought them they have had a steady stream of devs and leadership leaving including the founders.

I don't think there is anyone left that worked on Dragon Age Origins now.

Pretty sure if DA4 flops that will be doors shut for them anyway. Ea isn't happy with what they have put out and they finally nailed the coffin shut on Anthem so their final chance is Dragon Age 4. Another flop there and it will be nearly a decade since their last hit.
I don't get these huge companies buying smaller ones and ruining them. If I was in a position to buy a small but successful studio, I'd buy it and leave it the fuck alone. Let them do things the way they want and just rake in the money.

By the way it is not really feasible to expect studios that are decades old to keep the same people when most work under contracts with a expiration date. I also bet there is barely anyone from the first 4 Resident Evil games who worked on RE7 and now on RE8 at Capcom.
The first Resident Evil came out over ten years before the first Mass Effect. Besides it's Japanese, they do things differently over there.

Tysonator2000

Feb 24, 2020
That is just nostalgia talking. Truth be told without EA there would not be a Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchise. They simply lacked the resources to do it.

I have been hearing this "Bioware is dead" doomsaying since the time of DA2 and yet here is Bioware having already made more than a billion in revenue with Star Wars The Old Republic, having sold more than 6M copies of Mass Effect 3 and having Dragon Age Inquisition being their number one in sales.
Even Mass Effect Andromeda that some people seem to enjoy gratuitous hating over was, according to EA finacial report, the solid revenue driver behind their 2017 first quarter.

Sure Anthem was a bust but support for SWTOR keeps going strong and there is a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster about to be released, plus Dragon Age 4 (likely on 2022-2023) and Mass Effect 5 already in the works. Bioware must be the most alive zombie ever. :LOL: :cool:

By the way it is not really feasible to expect studios that are decades old to keep the same people when most work under contracts with a expiration date. I also bet there is barely anyone from the first 4 Resident Evil games who worked on RE7 and now on RE8 at Capcom.
Like I said, I'm personally talking about the local team (Edmonton) that could be in trouble, not the entire company. The Alberta economy is the most unstable it's probably ever been, even without COVID. The American and Canadian governments both hate us and killed off a lot of the jobs.

The leadership was laughably nonexistent for much of Anthem's development. It couldn't have flopped much more than it did. It was a $20 bargain bin item in record time. I'm aware Bioware probably couldn't have made these franchises as big without EA acquiring them, but it doesn't change the fact the quality has dipped considerately lately. EA's notorious for crunch times and rushing unfinished games. Forcing their shitty game engine onto inexperienced devs for Bioware's franchises, is idiotic. Frostbite contributed to a lot of Andromeda's problems and meme-able launch. They had to remake every asset from scratch and unsurprisingly the branch became vaporware. I hope future games go back to using Unreal.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Of course they keep their money makers alive, what did you expect? Some of the old CoD games where the studios don't even exist anymore are still alive as well.
Bioware is "alive" because it has a big name and I bet DA4 will be big as well, but just as Bioware it will only be an empty shell that has nothing to do with it's origins anymore. If DA4 flops, you'll see that the rest of Bioware will crumble.

ME is still a big name, so of course EA will to use it as long as it "can" make some money. A remaster doesn't cost them much and the name is still strong enough to guarantee a lot of sales.
That is my point. Why complain about something that is virtually the same reality for every studio who is already decades old? This just seems like nonsense hate over Bioware to me.
And please spare me the doomsayer thing. As i said i have been hearing this same crap since DA2.

DA2 was still good story-wise, they had an unexpected success with more or less garbage copy n paste leveldesign in DA:O, so they tried to push that even further and went (way) too far (which wasn't Bioware's decision btw), ME3 went too much into hollywood style action imo, cut a lot of what made the previous games good, a good sign for EA khaving their fingers in it, also during and after ME3 developement a lot of the old bioware staff left, some even before that, on DA:I basically none of the old team was involved (because it was basically non-existant anymore).
Where did you hear that? Lots of staff left after the game was released and their contracts ended since no big studio keeps the same numbers for post released support.
Also ME3 went too much into hollywood style action and cut what made the previous games good? This happened in ME2 not after. if anything ME3 brought back the RPG elements for the inventory and leveling up that were completely gutted in the previous game and actually focused on the main story instead instead of having Shepard solving everyone's daddy issues.

The first Resident Evil came out over ten years before the first Mass Effect. Besides it's Japanese, they do things differently over there.
The point still stands, most staff change with frequency, specially on lower positions.
Also how different? They also work under short term contracts and usually most people who worked on a game don't stay on the companies branch after their contracts expire.

The leadership was laughably nonexistent for much of Anthem's development. It couldn't have flopped much more than it did. It was a $20 bargain bin item in record time. I'm aware Bioware probably couldn't have made these franchises as big without EA acquiring them, but it doesn't change the fact the quality has dipped considerately lately. EA's notorious for crunch times and rushing unfinished games. Forcing their shitty game engine onto inexperienced devs for Bioware's franchises, is idiotic. Frostbite contributed to a lot of Andromeda's problems and meme-able launch. They had to remake every asset from scratch and unsurprisingly the branch became vaporware. I hope future games go back to using Unreal.
Now indeed Anthem suffered with bad oversight from some EA exec whose name i forgot now. That likely helped destroy the game. A shame because i played the game and Bioware made magic gameplay wise with that engine.

About ME Andromeda while they (Bioware/DICE/EA) won't ever confirm it, is my believe the post game support was cut short because Dice was having trouble finishing Star Wars Battlefront in time (this was reported by journalists later) so the whole Bioware studio staff responsible for Andromeda was sent there to help complete the more lucrative franchise. Because let's face it SW sells pretty much like water in the desert...:confused:

Reactions: Tysonator2000

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
This just seems like nonsense hate over Bioware to me.
I'm not hating over Bioware, I'm just telling that it's not the Bioware everybody loved anymore.

Where did you hear that? Lots of staff left after the game was released and their contracts ended since no big studio keeps the same numbers for post released support.
When I'm talking about the staff, I'm talking about the guys that made the studio big, the high tiers, not the guys who got a contract to help finishing a game.
Also, I've followed the media surrounding Bioware for a long time, there's even some decent info on the wiki page.

Also ME3 went too much into hollywood style action and cut what made the previous games good? This happened in ME2 not after. if anything ME3 brought back the RPG elements for the inventory and leveling up that were completely gutted in the previous game and actually focused on the main story instead instead of having Shepard solving everyone's daddy issues.
I'm talking about the story, the depth of it, character interactions, etc. What you call daddy issues I call character developement. Sure, they could've done better, but I much prefer such interactions over a ridiculous action-bombast-hollywood-style action-fest with with laughable forced drama like in ME3. ME2 did a lot wrong, but it also did a lot of good things, many people see the second game as the best of the series for a reason (I prefer the first one though).

Imagine me throwing the character interactions and development out of BM from now on and making it a fuckfest because, you know, that's what people want... that's how things work with EA and that's how ME3 felt for me and a lot of other people. Sure, it's still a good game with all the same likeable characters and story, but it's just not the same.

Anyway, let's not get too overboard with this discussion and get back to BM^^

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
EA had them working under a massive crunch to hit their release.
Ea gave them a year or so to make a DLC into a game, then they had to cut all the cool features. Bioware's problem seems to be they need to be told when to stop and just finish things (Anthem)
I don't think there is anyone left that worked on Dragon Age Origins now.
That's normal for the industry though. Not everyone stays for years like Mike did.

Now indeed Anthem suffered with bad oversight from some EA exec whose name i forgot now. That likely helped destroy the game. A shame because i played the game and Bioware made magic gameplay wise with that engine.
It was EA execs who finally told Bioware "Hey stop screwing around and actually make a game" Bioware had 4 years in which they did nothing but muck around with Anthem.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
that's how things work with EA and that's how ME3 felt for me and a lot of other people. Sure, it's still a good game with all the same likeable characters and story, but it's just not the same.
Sure, back to BM.

But for the record I hated ME3.

Replaced all the great characters with the charisma vortex with muscles and put EDI in a body because if there is one thing I know people wanted all the way through ME2 it was to take EDI out on mission.....

No, no it wasn't ..... and that awkward as fuck romance with Joker and EDI .... a metal girl and her boyfriend with brittle bone syndrome .... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG.

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
It feels like 80% of the other threads are people bitching about updates and milking... on a pirate site (Free games)

I need to come here and read how much EA is the devil incarnate and look at lewd pics of Ellie, Kat, and FemC

Thanks everyone :)

• Haha
Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Alright, News-Time!
But before your hopes get too high: No the update isn't done yet :poop:

The good news is that BM has been accepted on steam and is ready for release!
It's been a pain to set up and a lot of waiting for steam support to check everything, but it's finally done, the earliest official release will be in two weeks, but I want to gain some interest first, namely wishlistings because steam handles games that got wishlisted (is that even a word? xD) a lot before release differently.
So if you guys and girls want to help out, put it on your wishlist and make Ellie happy:

:ellie_happy:

So...You might ask yourself why steam? Well, the simple answer is that it's currently one of the biggest markets for (adult) games, and if I ever want to be able to get some new/better hardware I simply need to make a bit more money.
You might also wondering about BM staying free or not and yes, it will stay free! I've chosen steam specifically to make some money and it will most likely be the only platform where I ask for money for the game (and I will most likely get a shitstorm for that, but hey, shit happens, right?).
Are there differences between the steam version and the normal release? Yes, but only minor differences. I've changed the intro text a little bit and cut one part of a scene (where Ellie grinds on MC's leg at night), and that's it.
The steam version has Achievements and cloud sync if that's important for you

If anyone of my supporters (patreon or subscribestar) at 5 bucks tier or higher or who supports me long enough wants a steam key just can ask me for it once it's released.

A big thanks Droid Productions for helping me out with the trailer, he spend hours making it and without his help the page wouldn't be online by now :)

Alright, I hope I covered everything, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

4.40 star(s) 203 Votes