ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Then it only strenghen my point. With the quality, both in visual and writting, for one single person ? I'm not surprised it takes him a while. Small price to pay for such quality.
I feel like three months is the bare minimum I expect for the average update to a fully amateur game (and often longer). Juggling two games spreads that out a bit, so maybe 6 months. Add in a little extra wiggle room for holidays or the occasional real life crisis.

I feel like Rec updates on a pace that's completely acceptable compared to other devs. I don't think I've ever really thought "Okay, this is getting ridiculous" or anything (and I've definitely thought that for other devs).

I think the only games that really update faster than that are ones where the dev is clearly just adding slight incremental changes each update so they can keep up the illusion of progress (or where the game has a team of people working on it).

NerB1E

Jun 28, 2021
Every thread is, because there's always someone to say updates don't come often enough.
Yes actually, but still it is not that bad. As you said earlier: better to get less often, but bigger updates than more often, but smaller ones. We just need to be patient and let recreation work. He's doing great so do not adjust him.

I want to become a patron, but I need to wait a little bit to get some money. As you know situation in my country (Ukraine) is not good right now, so...

Briefly: be patient and support recreation any way you can, because he deserved it <3

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
All the more reason to not have them mislabeled as v1.0 when they are not completed yet. When I see a game at something like v0.02, I often avoid it as it is still very early with probably not much content.
And sometimes you're surprised. I've tried Desert Stalker recently. The game is in version 0.08c, but ho boy does it have a lot of content...
My New Family is also a good example, as it's in version 0.15 but divided into two games, the first one having... 9 chapters, if memory serves ? I've had it for over a month and still having finished it... It's so freaking long... So much content...
All that to say, sometimes, low numbers hide an actual shit-ton of content, but there's not way to know. We'd need some brave warriors to try and tell how much content there actually is.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
There are many different versioning schemes and really is up to the development team how to handle it. I remember a company at one point skipping from version 7 to version 10 because of marketing reasons.

Anything less than version 1.0 is usually considered an alpha release. In the x.y.z scheme, x = major, y = minor, and z = release. There's also a fourth, x.y.z.g, that could represent the build number.

Traditionally in software development, x will be incremented to 1 for the first stable release. It might further be incremented when their are major changes to the underlying code (or even story in this case?). y is incremented when there are new features and typically is stable. z is incremented when there are bug fixes. g is incremented often internally during the development process and is usually not stable.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Night Hacker

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
I checked out "Desert Stalker" and that doesn't look like my cup of tea. I also read a few reviews on "My New Family" and they seem pretty unanimous that it gets boring and predictable after a while, so maybe the dev should spend less time on content and more on quality? Desert Stalker on the other hand seems to have several really good reviews, so I may end up trying it out anyhow as I have been surprised in the past when something I didn't think I would like ended up being really good.
Yeah I need to right more reviews now that I know how to do it. A lot of the ones I see I really don't agree with. They seem written by people who are way too demanding. But to each their own anyway. I'm not too hard to please, and so far I'm still having fun with MNF.
Or I'm just a sucker for more laid back stories that follows a life more than "exciting events".

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I checked out "Desert Stalker" and that doesn't look like my cup of tea. I also read a few reviews on "My New Family" and they seem pretty unanimous that it gets boring and predictable after a while, so maybe the dev should spend less time on content and more on quality? Desert Stalker on the other hand seems to have several really good reviews, so I may end up trying it out anyhow as I have been surprised in the past when something I didn't think I would like ended up being really good.
Yeah I need to right more reviews now that I know how to do it. A lot of the ones I see I really don't agree with. They seem written by people who are way too demanding. But to each their own anyway. I'm not too hard to please, and so far I'm still having fun with MNF.
Or I'm just a sucker for more laid back stories that follows a life more than "exciting events".
I reviewed MNF a while back and gave it 3 stars, but now that I've played much better games (like Bad Memories) I probably would reduce it to 2 stars. A real snooze fest with no good story progression...err...really no good story at all.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
I reviewed MNF a while back and gave it 3 stars, but now that I've played much better games I probably would reduce it to 2 stars. A real snooze fest with no good story progression...err...really no good story at all.
Some games go for a big over-arching story, higher stakes, etc, and other go for more low-key, simple stuff, people living their lives. Slice of life is a valid genre.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Some games go for a bug over-arching story, higher stakes, etc, and other go for more low-key, simple stuff, people living their lives. Slice of life is a valid genre.
Sure, but I can only sit through so many in-game days doing the same shit over and over again. It's just monotonous. You can still have slice of life while having a good story.

thorin0815

Apr 16, 2020
I won't usually download a game with v0.12 in it, but I would probably check out a 0.80 as that is obviously nearer to completion.
The version numbers here are quite often completely meaningless as there is no standardization for them. Some 0.12 have far more content than other 0.80 versions. I just look at the changelogs, you can use them to estimate the actual content based on the render count much better than any obscure version numbers.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
The version numbers here are quite often completely meaningless as there is no standardization for them. Some 0.12 have far more content than other 0.80 versions. I just look at the changelogs, you can use them to estimate the actual content based on the render count much better than any obscure version numbers.
It's mainly because it's dependant on the amount of content planned rather than a specific amount of hours. That's why, even to games of the same quality, might have you play a 0.10 with 12 hours of content and the other having 4 at version 0.8. If the second one is planned to be a short experience, then it's logical.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
I decided to give "My New Family" a shot, just to be fair and out of curiosity, and I must say, I like the way it starts out. I'm really curious as to what the graphics it uses were created with.
Probably one of the commun 3D character creation softwares? Don't know the full list.
Though, this is hardly the thread to talk about that, if nothing else out of respect for recreation.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
It's interesting. Not as good as other 3D software, but I bet it's faster on lower end hardware. Doesn't do too bad of a job. Glad I tried out that other game anyhow, at least so far... like Bad Memories, it has an interesting story, though I really like Bad Memories mystery with the mute girl (mysteries in a story always grab me. I love a good story more than any other aspect of a game to be honest. Anyhow... interesting software. I've been using a variety of 3D software for a few decades now. Never seen Honey Select before.
Honey Select is more of a game on it's own, it has a scene creator, that's what we (devs) use to create our own games. It's realtime, that's why it looks the way it looks, but this also means there's absoluely no rendering needed, so a lot less time investment.
If you like a good mystery story and haven't tried it yet: Weird shit is going to happen might be something for you.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
Just played until the EOC, I hope we get more soon, it was amazing, I felt annoyed by Ward on the MC's behalve, so that's a sign of good writing.

Reactions: recreation
4.40 star(s) 204 Votes