thorin0815

Apr 16, 2020
In my many decades with computers, there's one component that has failed the most on me, and that was PSUs... namely, cheap PSUs! I bought a more expensive PSU a decade ago and I am still using the same one in my new system. When you consider that I kept buying new PSUs constantly almost annually and add up the "cheaper" costs, it adds up to more than what I spent on this one, more expensive PSU. Cheaper PSUs are not cheap, not when you have to keep replacing them. I learned my lesson.
As good as your PSU is, I wouldn't want to run a modern system with a 10 year old PSU. They weren't built for the fast load changes of modern hardware (especially GPUs) back then. But it's true, very few people pay attention to buying a decent power supply, if at all then they only pay attention to the wattage. People pay thousands of dollars for their GPU, CPU, motherboard, and ram, but when it comes to the power supply, they buy a $30 non-branded part that produces louder coil whine even on standby than a branded power supply under full load.

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
Some of that older stuff was made better then the crap that's made nowadays.

I saw a video of a person who took a sledge hammer head from the 1960's and a sledge hammer head from 2020 and put them into a hydraulic press. The 1960 sledge head took 100 tons of pressure and never crushed or anything but the brand new 2020 sledge hammer head started crushing almost instantly.

afterlights

Jan 31, 2020
Will it be revealed what No. 438 was that melted the PSU? It better not be dialogue in the hallway.

KopengaKris

Sep 21, 2018
In my many decades with computers, there's one component that has failed the most on me, and that was PSUs... namely, cheap PSUs! I bought a more expensive PSU a decade ago and I am still using the same one in my new system. When you consider that I kept buying new PSUs constantly almost annually and add up the "cheaper" costs, it adds up to more than what I spent on this one, more expensive PSU. Cheaper PSUs are not cheap, not when you have to keep replacing them. I learned my lesson.
Yeah, It's a "rookie" mistake, buying a PSU for your current needs. A good PSU can last 7-10 years if taken care of, so might aswell spend extra money on it and buy extra watts. The extra watts also eliminates coilwhine in most cases and your good for atleast 2-3 GPU upgrades. My PSU has gone thru a 1080 ti, 2080 ti (current) and is good for a 3080 ti / 3090 ti (to expensive at the moment). After that I need a new PSU, so really got value for my money. I highly recommend Corsair PSU's. Modular, 80+ Gold certified, semi-passive and 5-10 year warranty (depending on the model). Semi-passive PSU's kill the fan when the watts are abit over your current needs (doesn't need to be cooled then), so hardly any dust get sucked in. I also aim at being over 150 - 200 watts over GPU need, but won't happen with a 3090 ti, so might change PSU, when upgrading. For a 3090 ti 850w 80+ is enough, but might switch to 1000w if upgrading when the price is right. Still got 4 1/2 years of warranty left aswell. :D

Again, sorry since this is off-topic, so won't reply or write anything more about it. Peace :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Hacker

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Yeah, It's a "rookie" mistake, buying a PSU for your current needs. A good PSU can last 7-10 years if taken care of, so might aswell spend extra money on it and buy extra watts. The extra watts also eliminates coilwhine in most cases and your good for atleast 2-3 GPU upgrades. My PSU has gone thru a 1080 ti, 2080 ti (current) and is good for a 3080 ti / 3090 ti (to expensive at the moment). After that I need a new PSU, so really got value for my money. I highly recommend Corsair PSU's. Modular, 80+ Gold certified, semi-passive and 5-10 year warranty (depending on the model). Semi-passive PSU's kill the fan when the watts are abit over your current needs (doesn't need to be cooled then), so hardly any dust get sucked in. I also aim at being over 150 - 200 watts over GPU need, but won't happen with a 3090 ti, so might change PSU, when upgrading. For a 3090 ti 850w 80+ is enough, but might switch to 1000w if upgrading when the price is right. Still got 4 1/2 years of warranty left aswell. :D

Again, sorry since this is off-topic, so won't reply or write anything more about it. Peace :)
As I have just purchased another one for a 13 year old PC (3rd .. Grrrr). I can say the general rule is you want to run the PSU between 40-60% max power for most efficiency. So figure you GPU wattage, CPU wattage, cooling wattage, wattage of any PCI(e) cards (if any), watts of any lighting effects, 30 watts per spinning rust disk or spinning (dvd/bluray) drive, and 40 watts for the RAM and other MOBO chips. Now double it and you have your watts for the PSU. That is how I have always done it. BTW - oldest PSU that still works (as of a month ago) is from my 1993 PC (my graduation present to myself from college) :p

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
This is a very helpful Site from BeQuit! to calculate the needed PSU for your System.
>>

Ciccio92

Jul 13, 2020
This is a very helpful Site from BeQuit! to calculate the needed PSU for your System.
>>
calculator online are pretty useless, they are not precise, my system at full load with cpu and gpu to their limit has 500 w, using the site the system has more than 700w. i use a rebrended seasonic focus gold 650w, so it is pretty sensible to over power and never had problem even with transients power. and my gpu alone consumes 300w so...

Reactions: KopengaKris
4.40 star(s) 204 Votes