reynold.biplane

Dec 11, 2018
Hey everyone! Who would be interested in a HTML game reboot/reimagining of Behind The Dune? Just trying to gauge the amount of interest in this before I start fully working on it.

Although I know some people hate AI generated artwork, I have no art skills myself so it would make use of stable diffusion for the images and character designs. I've attached some examples of the characters to this post using the desired artstyle I'm going for. Please give me feedback on them!

Hope you're all doing well, fellow dune-chads.
Heyo, glad to see people willing to get their hands dirty and provide more Dune content.

I think I can speak for most people , when I say, that there is interest. But that is no guarentee, that we will like the results.
Why don't you tell us some more? What aspects of the game do you intend to improve? The art isn't an improvement. It's good, but samey AI style and certainly can't compete with the original. And since you say, that you have no art skills, I doubt, that you will be able to do animations.

Reactions: cauageo

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Heyo, glad to see people willing to get their hands dirty and provide more Dune content.

I think I can speak for most people , when I say, that there is interest. But that is no guarentee, that we will like the results.
Why don't you tell us some more? What aspects of the game do you intend to improve? The art isn't an improvement. It's good, but samey AI style and certainly can't compete with the original. And since you say, that you have no art skills, I doubt, that you will be able to do animations.
Hey!, I understand that the limitations of my art skills may mean no animations, but my plan was to follow a more text-based style (with plenty of images) to have more detail to the world of dune and greater emphasis on the characters/scenes. Imagine something similar to what you had written before on this forum (the scene between paul and jessica before meeting the rev. mother) but with AI artwork to depict the scenes. As a side note, I would plan to add more of whatever people wanted (community input to the direction of the quests/scenes and character developments) while trying to keep within the basic outline of the original books.

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Japanise style (triangle chin), not rule in Western Sci-fi book/game/art. IMHO.
Does the original art from Behind the Dune not have people with triangle chins?

in terms of styling, what would you like to see from the artwork? Is there a certain style you have in mind?

reynold.biplane

Dec 11, 2018
Hey!, I understand that the limitations of my art skills may mean no animations, but my plan was to follow a more text-based style (with plenty of images) to have more detail to the world of dune and greater emphasis on the characters/scenes. Imagine something similar to what you had written before on this forum (the scene between paul and jessica before meeting the rev. mother) but with AI artwork to depict the scenes. As a side note, I would plan to add more of whatever people wanted (community input to the direction of the quests/scenes and character developments) while trying to keep within the basic outline of the original books.
Ok, as long as you have basic image editing skills or are willing to learn those (cleaning up the AI art, working with layers and stuff like that) I can see this becoming like some kind of VN. If you need ideas or need someone to actually do some writing - I have the time and the inclination right now. I'm actually kinda angry at myself, that I still haven't finished that story.

Does the original art from Behind the Dune not have people with triangle chins?

in terms of styling, what would you like to see from the artwork? Is there a certain style you have in mind?
People are used to Balsamique's style and probably would prefer something that is more like that. But you do you. I don't know, how much you want your project to resemble BtD. If you want to take it into a different direction as a whole, then the art style can reflect that also. But anime-style AI art is totally overdone right now. Personally, I'm already tired of it and would prefer something else.

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Ok, as long as you have basic image editing skills or are willing to learn those (cleaning up the AI art, working with layers and stuff like that) I can see this becoming like some kind of VN. If you need ideas or need someone to actually do some writing - I have the time and the inclination right now. I'm actually kinda angry at myself, that I still haven't finished that story.

People are used to Balsamique's style and probably would prefer something that is more like that. But you do you. I don't know, how much you want your project to resemble BtD. If you want to take it into a different direction as a whole, then the art style can reflect that also. But anime-style AI art is totally overdone right now. Personally, I'm already tired of it and would prefer something else.
I was actually going to speak to you at some point about if you wanted to help with the project, your story I mentioned before gave me this idea in the first place. I think a VN with BtD game elements is a good way to look at it, and obviously this can be expanded down the road.

In terms of the artstyle, I do see what you're saying about the anime/eastern style so I've been looking into changing it. I've been learning photoshop skills to attempt to clean up the AI art so that's just a work in progress. I'll put an early concept of Jessica in the new, more western, style. Let me know what you think!

reynold.biplane

Dec 11, 2018
I was actually going to speak to you at some point about if you wanted to help with the project, your story I mentioned before gave me this idea in the first place. I think a VN with BtD game elements is a good way to look at it, and obviously this can be expanded down the road.

In terms of the artstyle, I do see what you're saying about the anime/eastern style so I've been looking into changing it. I've been learning photoshop skills to attempt to clean up the AI art so that's just a work in progress. I'll put an early concept of Jessica in the new, more western, style. Let me know what you think!
Hmm, not quite there yet. It's hard to describe.The main difference here is the thicker lines and that wasn't the problem to begin with. What instructions do you give the AI and can you change the dataset, that it uses to learn? Sometimes it seems like they learn almost exclusively from artists like dandon fuga, Sabudenego and various highly detailed anime stuff. Or is that just, what the users demand most of the time? I don't know and I suspect it will take some time until you get it just right. Maybe try out some different settings and create a line-up and then we can point you in the right direction? Or maybe wait until you get more than two opinions. You could also post in Balsa's discord and ask for opinions there.

I'm going to send you the unfinished story in a few minutes, since you seemed to like it. You might get some inspiration from it and I could use some feedback myself. Just adding some notes now, to fill some gaps.

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Hmm, not quite there yet. It's hard to describe.The main difference here is the thicker lines and that wasn't the problem to begin with. What instructions do you give the AI and can you change the dataset, that it uses to learn? Sometimes it seems like they learn almost exclusively from artists like dandon fuga, Sabudenego and various highly detailed anime stuff. Or is that just, what the users demand most of the time? I don't know and I suspect it will take some time until you get it just right. Maybe try out some different settings and create a line-up and then we can point you in the right direction? Or maybe wait until you get more than two opinions. You could also post in Balsa's discord and ask for opinions there.

I'm going to send you the unfinished story in a few minutes, since you seemed to like it. You might get some inspiration from it and I could use some feedback myself. Just adding some notes now, to fill some gaps.

Hmm it would be helpful for a greater idea of the direction for the artstyle. Currently the AI model is not trained on any anime content whatsoever so I feel like an anime-style is not the problem. The model I'm using has been trained on oil-painting styles and western art so I'm not sure what I can do without more in-depth feedback. At the end of the day, I'm not trying to replicate the style of balsa at all (in terms of artstyle that is). I haven't looked at Balsa's discord at all, are they open to feedback on projects not related to Balsa himself?

reynold.biplane

Dec 11, 2018
Hmm it would be helpful for a greater idea of the direction for the artstyle. Currently the AI model is not trained on any anime content whatsoever so I feel like an anime-style is not the problem. The model I'm using has been trained on oil-painting styles and western art so I'm not sure what I can do without more in-depth feedback. At the end of the day, I'm not trying to replicate the style of balsa at all (in terms of artstyle that is). I haven't looked at Balsa's discord at all, are they open to feedback on projects not related to Balsa himself?
People post fanart there from time to time, including AI art, although not so much lately. Nobody has talked about wanting to make art for their own game yet, but I don't think they will boot you from the discord for that. Or you can just wait for more feedback and ideas here. But things have been slow in here, ever since the [Completed] tag.

Crispyking

Jul 15, 2017
Just wanted to know any progress with Balsa in discord, did he reply and what about the mod itself, please share any details. :)
Crispyking
Hi! Balsa DID answer my request, and while he is not accepting any commissions right now, he asked me to send him some detailed scenes that I would enjoy ("detailed" as in: exact scenery, body postures, facial expressions, etc.). No promises made, but he might use them as an inspiration of sorts.

So if you want to help Balsa out (and what decent, pervy pirate among us wouldn't?), then feel free to share your ideas! I'll gladly pass them on as long as they are cool. I personally prefer mother-son related content with Jessica and/or Harah, but I'm always open for new ideas!

As an example here one of my top contenders (1 scenario containing 2 scenes and changed dialogues in existing scenes)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cheers!

Last edited:

reynold.biplane

Dec 11, 2018
Hi! Balsa DID answer my request, and while he is not accepting any commissions right now, he asked me to send him some detailed scenes that I would enjoy ("detailed" as in: exact scenery, body postures, facial expressions, etc.). No promises made, but he might use them as an inspiration of sorts.

So if you want to help Balsa out (and what decent, pervy pirate among us wouldn't?), then feel free to share your ideas! I'll gladly pass them on as long as they are cool. I personally prefer mother-son related content with Jessica and/or Harah, but I'm always open for new ideas!
Wow, that's really good news! I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something later on.

For the moment, I can't help but comment on your first idea:

Crispyking

Jul 15, 2017
Wow, that's really good news! I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something later on.

For the moment, I can't help but comment on your first idea:
Ha! Thanks for your feedback! There is some truth to that, only that Lady Jessica is a sympathetic, powerful beauty, and not a despicable, violent nut job like Lysa Tully. But it's admittedly quite possible that they both jerked off their sons. Tsss, tsss, tsss... those bad girls... ;)

Renx26

Sep 4, 2020
Ha! Thanks for your feedback! There is some truth to that, only that Lady Jessica is a sympathetic, powerful beauty, and not a despicable, violent nut job like Lysa Tully. But it's admittedly quite possible that they both jerked off their sons. Tsss, tsss, tsss... those bad girls... ;)
Hey buddy what's about your mommymod?

reynold.biplane

Dec 11, 2018
Let us remember Lysa not for being batshit insane, but for her breastfeeding (and maybe more) and let us pretend, that these two things have nothing to do with each other.:whistle:

Got an idea for a nice picture. Not dissimilar to your first puppetmaster ending, but in a different context:
Paul takes a bath with his parents. Non-animated. This happens before the beginning of the story. Perhaps Paul is a little younger in this one.
Jessica, Leto and Paul are sitting in a hot tub/pool/hot springs inside Castle Caladan. They are submerged to about chest height. Paul is sitting in Jessica's lap and getting his hair washed by her. Her boobs are resting on his shoulders, while she is lathering up his hair. Paul's face shows complete bliss. Perhaps the tip of his dick is sticking out of the water. Leto is sitting (perhaps standing) by the side and washing himself and looks a bit jealous.
This picture could be found on Duncan's camera.

I'll think of more later. BtD doesn't have enough lesbain content, so that's next on my agenda.

Crispyking

Jul 15, 2017
Let us remember Lysa not for being batshit insane, but for her breastfeeding (and maybe more) and let us pretend, that these two things have nothing to do with each other.:whistle:

Got an idea for a nice picture. Not dissimilar to your first puppetmaster ending, but in a different context:
Paul takes a bath with his parents. Non-animated. This happens before the beginning of the story. Perhaps Paul is a little younger in this one.
Jessica, Leto and Paul are sitting in a hot tub/pool/hot springs inside Castle Caladan. They are submerged to about chest height. Paul is sitting in Jessica's lap and getting his hair washed by her. Her boobs are resting on his shoulders, while she is lathering up his hair. Paul's face shows complete bliss. Perhaps the tip of his dick is sticking out of the water. Leto is sitting (perhaps standing) by the side and washing himself and looks a bit jealous.
This picture could be found on Duncan's camera.

I'll think of more later. BtD doesn't have enough lesbain content, so that's next on my agenda.
I like that very much! :giggle: I forgot to tell you, that Balsa implied a preference for content with some erotic tension instead of outright sex scenes, so your idea fits quite nicely into that.

It could also be integrated as a flashback while Leto reminisces about the good, old times on Caladan, and would finally give the Leto character something to do in the game.

Reactions: reynold.biplane

Zemax

☠︎︎ The real world is where the monsters are ☠︎︎
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Aug 19, 2022
oh boy the art is just a masterpiece

dokodesuka

Mar 13, 2020
I've been learning photoshop skills to attempt to clean up the AI art so that's just a work in progress. I'll put an early concept of Jessica in the new, more western, style. Let me know what you think!
I have these concerns:

1) If I understand it right, the AI creates the background and subject as a full illustration. It doesn't create a clean PNG sprite with transparency, ready to be puppet-articulated in After Effects / Spine / Live2D, like the stuff seen in here:

2) Can you create that same Jessica character doing something else? Like with a consistent appearance, them in different poses and facial expressions? That's by far the most important requirement IMO, because when writing the VN dialogue you'll "coreograph" those poses as if that character exists and is performing their dialogue to the player like a real actor would.
AFAIK the simplest way that people try to create the same character is to describe the same features in a prompt and hope that the AI will come up with something that resembles that character over several images. The more complex way is with a "LoRA" (a model for a specific style or character), but it takes know-how and resources to make that.

If the character keeps slightly changing their looks during the game then that'll break immersion and be frustrating and disappointing to the player(s), like it's a bad quality product.

Reactions: Crispyking

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I have these concerns:

1) If I understand it right, the AI creates the background and subject as a full illustration. It doesn't create a clean PNG sprite with transparency, ready to be puppet-articulated in After Effects / Spine / Live2D, like the stuff seen in here:

2) Can you create that same Jessica character doing something else? Like with a consistent appearance, them in different poses and facial expressions? That's by far the most important requirement IMO, because when writing the VN dialogue you'll "coreograph" those poses as if that character exists and is performing their dialogue to the player like a real actor would.
AFAIK the simplest way that people try to create the same character is to describe the same features in a prompt and hope that the AI will come up with something that resembles that character over several images. The more complex way is with a "LoRA" (a model for a specific style or character), but it takes know-how and resources to make that.

If the character keeps slightly changing their looks during the game then that'll break immersion and be frustrating and disappointing to the player(s), like it's a bad quality product.
Currently I would not be looking to make live2D or animated sprites (perhaps a stretch goal once the majority of the game has been completed?), but I have been using photoshop to remove backgrounds where necessary. I can create an almost reproducable look to someone like jessica (please check out the images on this post) in various poses but I am still in the very early stages of character design and development (a large amount of the coding has already been completed). Obviously there are currently minor differences but I'd be quite surprised if there were a large number of complaints due to that.

Again, I'd like this project to be community driven, the more input from people like yourself, the better the final project will be. However, there are some limitations to that and not everyone will be happy but I'll try my best, hopefully that will be enough :rolleyes:

For now though, let me know your thoughts on these new images! But please bare in mind that they haven't been cleaned-up in photoshop yet so minor issues with the images will be fixed down the road.

4.40 star(s) 101 Votes