StultusAnglicus

Donor
Jan 6, 2019
And it actually annoys the shit out of me. Your friends is sick, you tell Jill "Sorry, I made a promise" but she all of a sudden gets upset and that's the pinpont of a whole thing.
I don't know how many time DPC is gonna need to beat people over the head with "its not that you helped a friend. It's that you MISSED having a turning point moment with Jill" but clearly that bench conversation where she explicitly says that isn't enough ;)

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
I don't know how many time DPC is gonna need to beat people over the head with "its not that you helped a friend. It's that you MISSED having a turning point moment with Jill" but clearly that bench conversation where she explicitly says that isn't enough ;)
Seems like an easy choice for me. The answer is to not pick up the phone and then to go on the date with Jill! :cool:

Reactions: StultusAnglicus

SomboSteel

May 8, 2017
people would be fine with it if it wasnt such a ridiculously contrived dilemma that only exists because MC cant communicate, just like all the other forced drama moments where MC forgets how to speak words to resolve a problem/misunderstanding.

i understand at this point its something we just have to roll with to continue the story, like Maya and her ludicrous tuition plot line, but people wouldnt make a big deal about it if DPC tried a little harder to make a believable scenario for these things to occur.

like why shouldnt he be criticized for making the fundamental Jill path decision so idiotic? why not just have a legit "Crossroads" moment in that episode and have Jill ask MC out on a picnic date with a very clear yes or no answer with the appropriate consequences for each response?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Have yourself a very merry SanchoMod Christmas

Good evening DIKs,

Happy holidays from the Sancho family to you and yours, sincerely.

Since we're not listed in the VN's OP for any of the fine products and fixes available for "Being a DIK", here's some for you to unwrap at your leisure:
  • Season 1/2/3 SanchoMod: Grab it here
  • Season 3 JoiPlay fix (only works unmodded, don't get cute): Grab it here
  • Season 3 music revert (get the old music back): Grab it here
  • Season 3 Sancho's personal import file (all Branches): Grab it here
Note: The import file will fix your fuckup when you previously used another mod or tampering with shit that the VN dev (PinkCake) deemed appropriate to sabotage your experience. It is NOT needed nor required if you previously played and saved either unmodded or used SanchoMod exclusively but feel free to use them if you want to regardless. Just remember to change the MC's name via SanchoCheats as appropriate.

Stay warm, stay safe, and we wish all the best to you and yours.

Regards and be well,
- Sancho

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
like why shouldnt he be criticized for making the fundamental Jill path decision so idiotic? why not just have a legit "Crossroads" moment in that episode and have Jill ask MC out on a picnic date with a very clear yes or no answer with the appropriate consequences for each response?
Turning down a girl in dating VN always has clear and appropriate consequences. It's not rocket science.

SomboSteel

May 8, 2017
Turning down a girl in dating VN always has clear and appropriate consequences. It's not rocket science.
eh, thats debatable

but this whole scenario reeks of DPC forced drama laziness as opposed to writing an actual believable situation or just being straightforward like in Crossroads. can anybody explain WHY the Jill date has to be handled this way, for reasons other than "drama"?

there is literally nothing stopping IRL MC just calling Jill and explaining the situation and having the picnic the next day or sometime in the next few days or whatever. Jill is very understanding and kind hearted and would likely have zero problems with such an occurrence. its literally just another example of MC being unable to communicate appropriately whenever DPC needs him to keep his mouth shut

you are allowed to be okay with it happening the way DPC decided and people who think its dumb will have to accept it, but they are still allowed to criticize it

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
eh, thats debatable
Well, yes, but it's seriously pretty normal convention for dating games. If you're presented with choice between two or more events, you'll always want to pick the event with the girl you pursue, otherwise you risk the game will treat it as opting out of her route. Now, some games are gracious enough they won't require *all* of girl's events for successful outcome, but you shouldn't really count on it.

They also pretty much never bother with this sort of window dressing like "put in extra content and complicate things more than needed just to allow both/all events instead of one". In a way having to choose is the entire point, so there's little sense in adding ways to circumvent that.

SomboSteel

May 8, 2017
Well, yes, but it's seriously pretty normal convention for dating games. If you're presented with choice between two or more events, you'll always want to pick the event with the girl you pursue, otherwise you risk the game will treat it as opting out of her route. Now, some games are gracious enough they won't require *all* of girl's events for successful outcome, but you shouldn't really count on it.

They also pretty much never bother with this sort of window dressing like "put in extra content and complicate things more than needed just to allow both/all events instead of one". In a way having to choose is the entire point, so there's little sense in adding ways to circumvent that.
im not sure i agree that there is little sense in having a more believable story when possible. but we can just agree to disagree if thats the case (y)

also this isnt a dating game, for what its worth. so im not sure you can use logic from dating sims and apply it to BaDIK

Reactions: NebulousShooter
Sep 2, 2020
Just tried Episode 9. On the fence about the party planner. It feels very extra and unnecessary, mechanics of it are also really 'simple' made complicated which I don't get. Hopefully there's gonna either be a guide or mod. Its not the worst thing in the world but its definitely is a huge waste of time.

Last edited:

chronomate

Jun 5, 2020
A blowjob is considerably more sexual activity, it's pretty simple difference.
IRL, I agree. But I'm asking about it as a decision in game design. What is the gameplay benefit to allowing your player to potentially screw up their relationship in some ways but not others? If it's the severity of the action, convey that in the value of the variable hit the player takes by doing it. But telling the player "you can be unfaithful here and here, but not here and here" is silly as a gameplay mechanic.

And if the difference between a blowjob and ass grabbing is too severe to lump together, consider that (according to the poster I originally quoted) you can make out with Riona in the theatre, but you can't kiss her on your bed. Even if it's based on severity of action, that still doesn't add up.

Punching Vinnie is enabled if MC has been aggressive towards dangerous people like Caleb. Oscar isn't in the same league, so requirements to have him punched are lower.
But MC doesn't know how dangerous either of them are. Oscar could be an amateur MMA fighter; Vinny could be a fake tough guy. MC certainly didn't know Vinny was armed. This is why I'm saying it doesn't make sense to gatekeep some choices but not other equivalent ones. If your MC had to have shown violent tendencies to punch either man, that's fine and makes sense. Requiring it for one fight and not the other, based on the severity of the interaction (which the MC can't possible know) is, again, silly as a gameplay mechanic.

Quick question about Quinn on the single path:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The dialogue is different, but not by much. She'll take you home with her either way if that's what you want.

buggs

Apr 24, 2020
You misunderstood my use of the word "hype"... not excitement on my part, but rather build-up on the part of the story. DPC obviously wanted his readers to wonder who this girl was, because otherwise he wouldn't bother putting her there to begin with.
Wanting to wonder and building up hype are two very different things that I think you're conflating. Sure, he wants you to wonder who she is, but that whole scene is just a very small part of only one path. There's very little hype around it beyond what you yourself put on it. It's not the biggest mystery in the episode by a long shot and its definitely not a part that was highlighted by DPC. It's just a girl who wanted to be mysterious and have no strings attached in her Halloween costume. Why can't it be just that? It's cool to theorize about what it could be, but if you go into next episode expecting it to be anything but an easter egg, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Like, damn the pregnancy thing was hyped way harder last season and it just turned out to be Arieth, probably the least important girl in the HOTs.

Reactions: VOYEUR

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
IRL, I agree. But I'm asking about it as a decision in game design. What is the gameplay benefit to allowing your player to potentially screw up their relationship in some ways but not others?
I imagine possibly because allowing minor infractions leave some possibility to get out of trouble, while it'd be basically no excuse for more serious actions, and then you'd have players up in arms why they're allowed to sabotage their game with no warning how serious consequences they'd face, and why the game forces them to take such self-defeating actions if they want to see associated scenes.

If it's the severity of the action, convey that in the value of the variable hit the player takes by doing it. But telling the player "you can be unfaithful here and here, but not here and here" is silly as a gameplay mechanic.
The variable is completely hidden from the player so that's not an option. And i really don't see why it's so supposedly puzzling to you that the MC is allowed to perform minor infidelities but not serious one. As you note yourself there's clear difference between these two types of actions, you don't need to be shown any variable to figure it out. You might as well ask why the MC is allowed to punch people in the face but not smash their skulls open. The answer should be just as obvious.

But MC doesn't know how dangerous either of them are. Oscar could be an amateur MMA fighter; Vinny could be a fake tough guy. MC certainly didn't know Vinny was armed.
MC knows Vinnie is a former DIK with much clout and he's likely heard quite a few stories from the other DIKs about him during his fraternity days. He knows the sort of person he's dealing with. Oscar *isn't* an amateur fighter nor is he a former DIK with much clout and stories surrounding him. They aren't the same sort of people, so am not sure why you say that treating them differently doesn't make sense.

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
Hey guys, I have three questions for the experts (pls help :)):

1. Were you able to open the black cube that's on the MC's desk, what's inside?
2. What about the notebook from episode 6? did we lose access? Rusty lends us his car in episode 9 but not the pc.
3. The old lady in the nursing home with alzheimer's is Quinn's grandmother?

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
Hey guys, I have three questions for the experts (pls help :)):

1. Were you able to open the black cube that's on the MC's desk, what's inside?
2. What about the notebook from episode 6? did we lose access? Rusty lends us his car in episode 9 but not the pc.
3. The old lady in the nursing home with alzheimer's is Quinn's grandmother?
1) The cube hasn't been opened yet
2) The laptop is in the safe. The last person that Rusty lent it to was Jamie
3) Maybe? Interesting theory but not seeing much that suggests a connection to Quinn.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes