KaiserST

Apr 5, 2017
Another 6 years? I better stay healthy!...time to cut out the butter, full fat cheese and milk...stop eating copious amounts of peanut butter out of the jar...and definitely stop drinking a litre of vodka on a daily basis :(
I'd say 7 actually.

DPC has recently announced some of the animations from the upcoming episode will be 60fps, meaning they will take twice as much time to render.

He also implied that in future updates even more animations will be have 60 fps.

That combined with the growing scope of the game with several paths getting content at once, several minigames, extra art for rewards and the time needed to ensure all of that is up to quality means that the time between updates will only grow.

I already made a post saying more about this, but a simple solution would be increasing the number of PCs.

But I dont expect this to happen, DPC has no rush to complete this game, not when he is pulling more than 50K dollars per month (thats after the patreon fee and his taxes).

So yeah, lets be careful with our health, wouldnt want do die before playing this game to the end lol.

HTC211

Nov 22, 2021
I'd say 7 actually.

DPC has recently announced some of the animations from the upcoming episode will be 60fps, meaning they will take twice as much time to render.

He also implied that in future updates even more animations will be have 60 fps.

That combined with the growing scope of the game with several paths getting content at once, several minigames, extra art for rewards and the time needed to ensure all of that is up to quality means that the time between updates will only grow.

I already made a post saying more about this, but a simple solution would be increasing the number of PCs.

But I dont expect this to happen, DPC has no rush to complete this game, not when he is pulling more than 50K dollars per month (thats after the patreon fee and his taxes).

So yeah, lets be careful with our health, wouldnt want do die before playing this game to the end lol.
Stop panicking about those 60 fps.

TL;DR - the animation is prepared by posing the first, last and several intermediate renders.
For 30 fps (so for 1 second of animation), on average 6 or 8 renders are enough. The rest of the frames are made by software and the DPC's task is sometimes to correct the posing in this or that render.
For 60 fps nothing changes. You still need to make the same number of renders and possibly some corrections.

When the effect is satisfactory, you render the animation in the target quality, which, as we know, is done in the background on a separate workstation.
It also doesn't take twice as long because the software needs more time the more the individual frames differ from each other. And at 60 fps they differ less because the motion is divided into more intermediate states.

We also know that animation rendering has no impact on the episode's production time because DPC himself said a few updates ago that the queue was empty because the new workstation is faster than him.

However, taking into account the possible need for more corrections, it can be assumed that the animation production time may increase by approximately 20%. But this is only one element of the entire EP preparation process.

What threatens us is the growing weakness of DPC to increase the number of animations and thus the larger size (GB) of the next EPs.

So...see you on NETFLIX for EP14

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
Another 6 years? I better stay healthy!...time to cut out the butter, full fat cheese and milk...stop eating copious amounts of peanut butter out of the jar...and definitely stop drinking a litre of vodka on a daily basis :(
Actually, butter and fat are good for you. You wanna stay healthy, cut sugar.

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020

TL;DR - the animation is prepared by posing the first, last and several intermediate renders.
For 30 fps (so for 1 second of animation), on average 6 or 8 renders are enough. The rest of the frames are made by software and the DPC's task is sometimes to correct the posing in this or that render.
For 60 fps nothing changes. You still need to make the same number of renders and possibly some corrections.

When the effect is satisfactory, you render the animation in the target quality, which, as we know, is done in the background on a separate workstation.
It also doesn't take twice as long because the software needs more time the more the individual frames differ from each other. And at 60 fps they differ less because the motion is divided into more intermediate states.

We also know that animation rendering has no impact on the episode's production time because DPC himself said a few updates ago that the queue was empty because the new workstation is faster than him.

However, taking into account the possible need for more corrections, it can be assumed that the animation production time may increase by approximately 20%. But this is only one element of the entire EP preparation process.

What threatens us is the growing weakness of DPC to increase the number of animations and thus the larger size (GB) of the next EPs.

The problem is that animations are always the bottleneck at the end of episode production, even before the change to 60FPS, the animation queue at the end of ep 9 production took 6 weeks after everything else was completed, so even if we take 20% as an estimation of increased time that means it's likely to add 1-1.5 weeks for the animation bottleneck to be completed at 60FPS.

Also it's noticeable that after giving the figure of animations left the week before last week's update provided no figures on the animation queue, meaning it's likely that he completed 10 or more animations (a requirement for a November release based on the previous figure) or he would have included the number for an optimistic update to get fans excited.

HTC211

Nov 22, 2021
The problem is that animations are always the bottleneck at the end of episode production, even before the change to 60FPS, the animation queue at the end of ep 9 production took 6 weeks after everything else was completed, so even if we take 20% as an estimation of increased time that means it's likely to add 1-1.5 weeks for the animation bottleneck to be completed at 60FPS.

Also it's noticeable that after giving the figure of animations left the week before last week's update provided no figures on the animation queue, meaning it's likely that he completed 10 or more animations (a requirement for a November release based on the previous figure) or he would have included the number for an optimistic update to get fans excited.
Well, yes, but back then it was rendered by one older workstation.

SirDawcio

Sep 22, 2020
Not anti-piracy but anti-mod and anti-android converted. Basically he got fed up of getting flooded with complaints about the game not working and then after trying to find the bug causing the issue realising the problem was third-party (either a mod or an android conversion) so he started to write tripwires into the code to break the game for people playing a modded game or an android conversion so when someone mentioned an issue that he knew was caused by a tripwire he knew he could ignore the complaint.
I know I shouldn't, but to be completely honest with you, I find it kind of funny and impressive. Guy hates stuff like that so much he took time off the development to plant freaking tripwires lmao

always86

Mar 19, 2020

At best the 60fps animations are taking as long to render on the 4090s as the 30fps on the 3090s. So instead of prioritising production time by using the new GPUs to reduce render time, DPC decided to increase quality. The problem is that this episode, as of Friday this week, will have a longer production cycle than episode 9 and it’s weeks/ months away from release.

9 was substantially longer in development than previous episodes. 10 is increasing that. DPC has decided to settle into an annual release structure. I’m not one to argue he doesn’t release a years worth of content. I don’t think he’s milking, I just think he should have used the boost the 4090s provided to reduce dev time.

KaiserST

Apr 5, 2017
Well, yes, but back then it was rendered by one older workstation.
The fact that this update will take the longest despite the huge hardware upgrade means those animations are taking their toll.

At best the 60fps animations are taking as long to render on the 4090s as the 30fps on the 3090s. So instead of prioritising production time by using the new GPUs to reduce render time, DPC decided to increase quality. The problem is that this episode, as of Friday this week, will have a longer production cycle than episode 9 and it’s weeks/ months away from release.

9 was substantially longer in development than previous episodes. 10 is increasing that. DPC has decided to settle into an annual release structure. I’m not one to argue he doesn’t release a years worth of content. I don’t think he’s milking, I just think he should have used the boost the 4090s provided to reduce dev time.
Exactly, also I doubt the jump in quality will be big enough to justify the extra time needed to render.

Interpolation would manage the same or very similar results and wouldnt take nearly as long.

HTC211

Nov 22, 2021
... I doubt the jump in quality will be big enough to justify the extra time needed to render.

Interpolation would manage the same or very similar results and wouldnt take nearly as long.
I also believe that this is a DPC whim. I didn't miss anything in the animations from EP7, EP8 and EP9. However, the bus ride animation from EP9 caused me great embarrassment. Why did anyone need it? I'm more afraid of many useless animations than 60 fps.

Last edited:

KАRАMBA

Engaged Member
Jan 6, 2021
However, the bus ride animation from EP9 caused me great embarrassment.
How can you say that ? :cautious:
This is the cultural heritage of mankind.
Centuries will pass, everything will turn to decay, but the true treasure will remain - The bus ride animation.
Descendants will find it someday.
Nl75EECRpnY.jpg
And they will be proud of their ancestors who were able to create something so great.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes