Aug 6, 2017
SAge is quickly aproaching 1 status for me. She is adorable and i think the guitar lessons will impact the story and we will have to choose between Jill concert of something with Sage.

Reactions: Yuno Gasai

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I was thinking of Lost, but yeah. Some flashbacks each episode to know more about everyone would be great. Sage and her family issues, Quinn and Riona... There's lots of interesting backgrounds.
I can see some possible flashbacks being Bella and Jill, Bella and her husband, Quinn's business, Vinny dropping out/possible expulsion, more Jill and Rusty, Sage's family issues, Sage and Chad, Maya and her Dad, Tommy and Quinn, Quinn and Sage, and maybe even one about the MC's Mom if that letter reveals important details about her.

The Bella/Jill one ranks highest for me right now because if it is what seems, then it could be very hot. :love:

Officially, she says he would just lie about it and be harder to catch next time.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But that feels like a rationalization to me, since she doesn't need him to admit to the affair to dump him. Whatever is at the root of it, Sage really does not want to let Chad go.
That makes the whole thing feel even worse because she knows he's a liar and that he keeps things from her, yet she still can't let him go.

I think maybe I should expand my top 3 to a top 4 to add a flashback to the early days of their relationship because we really need to know why she's so clingy when there are so many red flags, some of which even she is aware of.

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
There're a lot to explore. Do a side story with all the flashbacks like an anime flashback filler episode (I am looking at you, Naruto, king of flashback episodes)
Those flashbacks were of things already shown in past episodes to fill screentime, not new information.
After episode 3 I had zero interest in Sage so it was nice to change my opinion of her for the better after episodes 4 & 5, however her obsession with Chad especially in that flashback was off putting, the sooner she learns to let him go and move on the better off she'll be.
Sage looks the kind of girl who gives everything in a relationship until the very end. I'm under the impression she's very loyal in that regard, despite her being actually cheating right now. That flashback to me didn't show anything new about her, except that the relationship was dead for longer than we originally thought.

Reactions: ename144

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020
Those flashbacks were of things already shown in past episodes to fill screentime, not new information.

Sage looks the kind of girl who gives everything in a relationship until the very end. I'm under the impression she's very loyal in that regard, despite her being actually cheating right now. That flashback to me didn't show anything new about her, except that the relationship was dead for longer than we originally thought.
To do so while she knows with out a shred of doubt that he's cheating on her and being very secretive about his affair with another person makes her seem like a fool imo, I wouldn't hesitate to rid myself of a partner like Chad (with a woman)

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020
To do so while she knows with out a shred of doubt that he's cheating on her and being very secretive about his affair with another person makes her seem like a fool imo, I wouldn't hesitate to rid myself of a partner like Chad (with a woman)
Take Jade's situation for example, knows her husband is cheating but doesn't divorce him due to the losses that come with divorces but definitely despises with whatever love she has/had for him all gone.

Ploate

Jun 6, 2020
I kinda understand Sage's hangup. She is in her last year. She has had what was for her a steady relationship for at least 2 years (as far as we know). She is probably thinking about life after college (marriage, children). And now everything is turned upside down with Chad cheating. I can understand how she would still hang on to that vision she had in her head. It would be wiser to just let it go, but it's hard to stay rational in such a situation. We have the luxury of 3rd eye vision and a long time to think. She only has had a week since seeing the proof of the cheating.

Sage needs time to process and come to grips on the situation. If she simply lets go, it would feel to her like the last 2 years were a waste.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Take Jade's situation for example, knows her husband is cheating but doesn't divorce him due to the losses that come with divorces but definitely despises with whatever love she has/had for him all gone.
Well, Sage is a much better person than Jade, so it's no surprise she doesn't react with Jade's seething venom.

I'm certainly going to be disappointed is there isn't a very good reason for Sage to be this loyal; if Chad never cared about her then she will come across as a deluded, lovesick girl. But assuming she and Chad did have a meaningful relationship at one point, I'm not going blame Sage for trying to forgive Chad and repair things, or even be for being slow to acknowledge the end if it comes to that.

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020
Well, Sage is a much better person than Jade, so it's no surprise she doesn't react with Jade's seething venom.

I'm certainly going to be disappointed is there isn't a very good reason for Sage to be this loyal; if Chad never cared about her then she will come across as a deluded, lovesick girl. But assuming she and Chad did have a meaningful relationship at one point, I'm not going blame Sage for trying to forgive Chad and repair things, or even be for being slow to acknowledge the end if it comes to that.
Good point, but based off that flashback their one sided relationship is at least a couple years old which is a huge red flag to me.

Reactions: ename144

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I kinda understand Sage's hangup. She is in her last year. She has had what was for her a steady relationship for at least 2 years (as far as we know). She is probably thinking about life after college (marriage, children). And now everything is turned upside down with Chad cheating. I can understand how she would still hang on to that vision she had in her head. It would be wiser to just let it go, but it's hard to stay rational in such a situation. We have the luxury of 3rd eye vision and a long time to think. She only has had a week since seeing the proof of the cheating.

Sage needs time to process and come to grips on the situation. If she simply lets go, it would feel to her like the last 2 years were a waste.
Yeah, as hard as it might be for some people to wrap their heads around why Sage is so hung up on Chad, we don't know the full story. Not just about their relationship, but about Sage too. She may have issues related to her past that make it difficult for her to give up on Chad.

Perhaps she has a fear of abandonment, or an insecurity about not being loved, and so she clings to Chad because with him, she doesn't feel so alone and/or if he had been affectionate towards her in the early days then this feeling of being loved is what she holds on to and why she puts up with him. But now, the MC is starting to show her affection that may be greater than Chad, and he's often there for her when she needs him, which is why her feelings may be starting to change.

I'm sure we'll find out (hopefully soon) what the deal is exactly and, knowing DPC, it will probably be something that will fuck with the emotions.

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
There are some emotiaonally dependant women (and men) stuck in relationships like that, thinking they still can make it work and their partner being uninterested or even abusive, fully aware of their partner's dependency.
Jade's another kind of woman, I don't expect her to react the same way as Sage.

Reactions: Holy Bacchus

Darkmetal

Jul 6, 2019
I'm going to go against the prevailing sentiment here and say that flashback use should be kept to only useful information. Keep in mind that the content per episode and the amount of episodes are finite. When it's a choice between 2.5K renders of game vs 2K game + 0.5K flashbacks per episode, I choose the former.

The DIK founding flashback had a lot of useful tidbits such as the Tommy/Rusty dynamic and also set up a lot of things - the hell week task board result, Vinny for a possible re-entry into the game, the conversation between MC and Jill re Rusty, the later demolition of what Mr.Burgmiester paid for etc.

The M&J flashback OTOH didn't really do much at all, it didn't influence MC storming out (which already happened) nor have info vital to MC's decision at the end of that chapter. All it set up was essentially the diarrhea joke. That's a lot of render resources that could have been spent elsewhere.

Anything that can be explained in one paragraph (such as a DIK telling us why Vinny dropped out) should be IMO. ATM, I see two useful flashbacks. Jill being bullied/Sister death/first meeting with Bella (assuming they are connected) and a flashback hitting the moment we open the locked room and then fading to the present time to reveal what's inside.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
I'm going to go against the prevailing sentiment here and say that flashback use should be kept to only useful information. Keep in mind that the content per episode and the amount of episodes are finite. When it's a choice between 2.5K renders of game vs 2K game + 0.5K flashbacks per episode, I choose the former.

The DIK founding flashback had a lot of useful tidbits such as the Tommy/Rusty dynamic and also set up a lot of things - the hell week task board result, Vinny for a possible re-entry into the game, the conversation between MC and Jill re Rusty, the later demolition of what Mr.Burgmiester paid for etc.

The M&J flashback OTOH didn't really do much at all, it didn't influence MC storming out (which already happened) nor have info vital to MC's decision at the end of that chapter. All it set up was essentially the diarrhea joke. That's a lot of render resources that could have been spent elsewhere.

Anything that can be explained in one paragraph (such as a DIK telling us why Vinny dropped out) should be IMO. ATM, I see two useful flashbacks. Jill being bullied/Sister death/first meeting with Bella (assuming they are connected) and a flashback hitting the moment we open the locked room and then fading to the present time to reveal what's inside.
Re the M+J flashback, while them getting together could've been described, I feel that it greatly improves the portrayal of the relationship between Maya and Derek which needed a show, don't tell approach to really cement itself, imo.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes