D

Deleted member 2512694

For you guys, what are the times up to the current episode when you felt DPC is trying to punch you below the belt (sad moments), happy moments and rage moments?

For me:
Sad moment: The double boss encounter in the DIK mansion library.
Happy moments: Always Sage, OMG scenes (especially MC and Jill) in Bella's house, DIK jacket, D&G session, Derek.
Rage moments: Always Tybalt, DIK mansion got trashed, Quinn being a bitch (makes my dick confused).
For me:
Sad moment: Ep5 when Maya talks about her arrival at B&R.

Happy moments: HW with Derek, watching a movie with Maya, talking and sunbathing with Bella by the pool, OMG scenes and making pancakes in Bella's house, D&G session and probably a few other things, I can't remember everything.

Rage moments: Tommy, especially in ep5.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I don't want to treat DPC as a one trick pony. Nonetheless when he's only made 1 complete game, that's all I can fairly judge him on.

It's not just the obvious twists in AL, it's DPC's overall philosophy that the way to make us feel for the characters is to put them through hell. You can see that even in BaDIK: Maya's father; Bella's husband; Josy's loneliness; the MC in Episode 4 (though that one partially missed the mark).

It's not that the technique is invalid, because it can definitely work: Josy's monologue in her second date, for example, really did make me care about her, and that's been a vital part of holding the M&J path together so far. But there is a limit to how far you can push that technique before the audience is overwhelmed and just tunes the whole thing out. What AL demonstrated is that DPC completely misjudged that line in his first work (IMHO, of course).

BaDIK is still in the first half of the story from everything we know, so it's too early to know how far it will try to push things. I agree that the raunchy college comedy setting means DPC doesn't intend to push things as far as he did in AL. But by the same token, I think the setting also means audience's personal limits are also going to be lower than they were in AL. That means that even if DPC intentionally dials down the drama, he could still overdo things even worse than before.

What I've seen so far makes me nervous. The M&J crisis was addressed, but nearly all of us agree the resolution was rushed and incomplete, and it's clear there will be more drama with them in the future. Sage is, to all appearances, unable to let go of a loveless relationship, and now she's being undermined by her HOT sisters. Bella's secret has had so much dark foreshadowing our only real hope is that DPC is going for a comedic anticlimax.

And maybe he will! I'm certainly hoping for it. But until something like that actually happens - a dramatic confrontation we dreaded is diffused (not merely postponed) in a lighthearted manner - I'm skeptical the college setting is proof against angst overload. I'm a big fan of the game, but I can't trust it yet.

To paraphrase City of Broken Dreamers, DPC can act as though he's not going to set us up all he wants; the problem is that is also exactly how he would act if he were setting us up.
I agree that DPC's approach to making players connect with characters seems to be to put the characters through some sort of emotional turmoil, but I think "hell" is a relative term as the different experiences of the characters can be seen differently by different people.

The M&J situation, for example, isn't something I'd personally describe as "going through hell" but simply look at as "difficulties" or a "rough patch", because there are worse things in the world than a relationship hitting the skids, even ones that went this way under their circumstances. With Bella too, it might seem like her situation is "hell", but it could also be simpler than it appears and might just be her being overly dramatic.

I'm sure that whatever DPC has planned for these characters will be emotionally gripping, and they might be setting up some characters for a big fall, but I'm choosing to believe that any such thing would not come close to the level of AL and will be something that the character(s) can bounce back from and move forward in a positive way. Maybe this is setting me up for a fall if DPC really drops the hammer and destroys a character physically and/or emotionally, or destroys their characterisation by giving them a sharp dramatic twist, but I'd rather look at this as a "glass half-full" than a "glass half-empty".

Darkdevil66

Apr 16, 2020
The only change I've seen is Maya asks Sage to switch mothers. Sage refuses, Quinn takes revenge by making Maya do the scavenger hunt alone. If you don't warn her, this doesn't happen. Maya does some tasks of the scavenger hunt with Mona and Camilla (only mentioned), but still gets tasks she has to do by herself (the sex tasks). So that doesn't change.
Well, Quinn also gave her a kiss of death o_O :

1.PNG

There's probably no escape. Since Quinn and her henchmen work for a dealer, Maya has been marked for death.

Laurelin

Apr 3, 2020
$20 says that Bella's husband is in a coma in the locked room.
Bella says (pool scene, if I remember) :
"What if James comes now ?
Would he blame me if I did this ?
After all this time ?
I have forgiven him"

Forgiven to fall into coma ? I don't think so...

Laurelin

Apr 3, 2020
There was a lot of discussion on this subject, and some interesting theories... Maybe a baby's bedroom. Bella husband may have been responsible for his death (car accident for instance...)...
There are so many possibilities !!

Last edited:

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
There was a lot of discussion on this subject, and some interesting theories... Maybe a baby's bedroom. Bella husband may have been responsible for his death (car accident for instance...)...
There are so much possibilities !!
And the most recent, her teenager room, considering her boots are there.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Yes, I've seen some posts about that, but I missed the boots... Is there any screenshot available ?
It's based on these 2 posts; chociar666 lightened the under door image and Jill Royce sugested they look like Bella's boots from the flashback.

For those who haven't seen it before -> what we can see through the crack under the Mysterious Door (I lightened picture):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I have a theory That Bella locked room is her own room. since, her teenage years because it's her parents home. Look at Bella boots!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Laurelin

Dashxp4k

Aug 17, 2019
I bet Tommy gonna have a Zuko Character development arc but nahhh that's not gonna happen to Tommy.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I bet Tommy gonna have a Zuko Character development arc but nahhh that's not gonna happen to Tommy.
Well, 5 episodes in we know even less about Tommy's backstory than we did about Zuko's. Given that Avatar ran 61 episodes and we're all hoping BaDIK will clock in under 20, I'm not holding my breath.

Also, I doubt DPC will be able to afford Mark Hamill when we finally meet Tommy's biological father. So that's different, too.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes