Stark9999999

Dec 4, 2017
Hazmat suit at the ready :LOL: our next encounter with her will be something especially if we connected with her on swyper :eek:
Lol I connected with her on one play through just to see the dialogue, but denied her on any other runs, especially my main. Honestly except for relevance to Cathy and for the people who like Envy swyper starts to feel like an annoyance if you want to do multiple play throughs. Find myself just skipping most of it entirely if I'm playing again.

I just have to say this.

The game has an early warning that people going through tough times should be aware and avoid if needed. I feel that I am one of the people going through that period of low point in life right now and despite the warning, Being A DIK is exactly what I needed. Maybe DPC will start throwing many curve balls in the later episodes, but the story, scenes, humor in earlier episodes really kept me going and look forward to the game. The game also taught me some life perspective that I did not have before. I am sure I am not the only one out there that's going through tough times and needed something to pick them back up. Keep up the good work DrPinkCake! It is an honor to be able to play your game and I wish you "live long and prosper" so that you can continue churning out great games like BaDIK and help others.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I would be somewhat surprised by your particular example (outside of a "bad" ending for the two), but I agree with your overall point.

Leah being a serial killer in AL (as opposed to a more mundane obsessive crush) isn't particularly well foreshadowed, and it completely dominates the last quarter of the game. The idea that something really bad couldn't pop out of the woodwork 3-4 episodes from now is just not consistent with how DPC has worked as a writer.
But can we really judge DPC on the basis of one singular piece of work? Some writers do stick to one particular genre and write stories that include similar elements albeit with different characters and settings, i.e. Tom Clancy who writes military-based novels. Other writers can have a more diverse range and write for different genres, i.e. Jordan Peele who has proven to be successful at writing horror movies but also writes for comedy movies and skits.

Just because DPC wrote one story that featured a very dark plot twist involving a psycho stalker and murder does not necessarily mean they are going to do something this dark again and I honestly feel as though people aren't giving DPC much credit as a writer by assuming they can only do one particular thing. Obviously, they could, but until then I'm withholding judgement and not going to automatically assume that this story will go down a similarly dark path as AL.

Even if we assume DPC isn't going to kill any of the LIs this time (and simply killing one would still be much less extreme than what happened in AL), there are plenty of bad things that could happen. The simplest is that the LIs will eventually each face a major crisis simultaneously, and the MC will only be able to help one of them through it (maybe Maya and Josy as a combo if DPC truly is feeling sorry for AL).

The other girls will survive, but as scarred survivors who never quite get their lives back on track. Maya is forced to live the life her father expected of her. Bella becomes a reclusive old maid. Josy becomes a jaded dancer at the Pink Rose. Jill settles for marrying Tybalt and being effectively a trophy wife. Sage is caught up in Quinn's drug scandal and spends several years in prison. All of those would be far less tonally jarring than AL's finale was, yet would still seriously suck to play through.

That's what I worry about. I like all of the Lis. Hell, I like most of the characters in this game. I want to see them all get happy ending (or learn the error of their ways for the antagonists), and I remain hopeful that is what will happen. But I absolutely don't think we can take that for granted.
Bad things can still happen to certain characters, yes, but I think that the degree to which they will happen will not be as severe as AL.

A good creator knows their audience and even when they are proud with their previous works, they still have to take on the criticism they receive and either acknowledge it or ignore it. AL was a very gritty, grounded, emotionally charged story and I commend them for wanting to raise the standards by writing such a hard-hitting story, but the sharp twist at the end did prove widely controversial and overshadowed everything else. Sometimes you have to read the mood of the room and I'd say that that mood is generally against having this sort of thing, not just in this game, but in adult VNs in general. Even without knowing much about them, I don't see DPC as someone who will dismiss the criticism of AL's dark turn and continue to forge ahead with doing something similar in this game, knowing that people will not like it.

In the Feb Q&A, whilst they did say that they "don't shy away from writing about touchy subjects and feelings", they also said that it's important to "listen to their feedback without taking it personally" with regards to the players and that American Pie was "a source of inspiration together with many other college themed movies". So it would seem to me that, whilst there may be "touchy subjects" in this game, we're not going to see anything too dark or depressing by the end of this. At most, Quinn might go to prison, but then we'll probably flash forward several years in the last episode and find that she's completely reformed and maybe owns a legal weed shop in San Francisco, or something like that. But the LIs, side girls, DIKs, and others will probably all go on to have decent endings and maybe some will have funny, comedic endings like in Animal House.

Dec 20, 2019
For you guys, what are the times up to the current episode when you felt DPC is trying to punch you below the belt (sad moments), happy moments and rage moments?

For me:
Sad moment: The double boss encounter in the DIK mansion library.
Happy moments: Always Sage, OMG scenes (especially MC and Jill) in Bella's house, DIK jacket, D&G session, Derek.
Rage moments: Always Tybalt, DIK mansion got trashed, Quinn being a bitch (makes my dick confused).

murphy88

Apr 14, 2020
Muy bien, gracias por esa respuesta tan detallada.
Cuando hablo del tutorial, es mayormente en el capítulo 1, espera, te lo mostraré:

Como puedes ver, estoy en el guión principal y no en los archivos de traducción.
Los elementos después de "Show text" no existen en la directorio tl y no sé dónde encontrarlos.

Por eso te lo pido. Cómo tradujo el tutorial en la imagen de abajo

Pues eso no sabría decirte, si te bajas el archivo de traducción del parche 4.1 v3 ahí tienes todo lo que han usado, lo único que puedo decirte es que en tl solo están las conversaciones guiadas y las freeroam, algunas cosas han pasado a tl como el tutorial de las tortitas y la pintura si no me equivoco (pero solo en este capítulo), pero todo lo demás son scripts y hay que traducirlos directamente del script lo cual lo complica un poco ya que los textos están entre todo el código, pero me temo que para esas cosas no queda más remedio, al igual que algunas imágenes que directamente tienen que editarse.

Trimes123456

Sep 4, 2016
What is it about these games that can make some strong emotions. Finished chapter 4, got rejected by Maya and Josy (expected it since I was going for higher DIK for my first playthrough) but its still kinda sad.

Ploate

Jun 6, 2020
For you guys, what are the times up to the current episode when you felt DPC is trying to punch you below the belt (sad moments), happy moments and rage moments?

For me:
Happy moments: Always Sage, OMG scenes (especially MC and Jill) in Bella's house, DIK jacket, D&G session, Derek.
Rage moments: Always Tybalt, DIK mansion got trashed, Quinn being a bitch (makes my dick confused).
Sad moments: see my previous post.
Happy moments: Jill date, Maya and Josy agree to be more then friends, Strip club during Hell week (MC drinking those shots + blackout gave me a flashback to my own college days, I did the exact same thing once), Derek + gender studies class (I missed that in episode 5, I'm really looking forward to the next one)
Rage moments: Tybalt slap (I just wanted to slap him back though, not punch him), Tommy closing the door on you after getting the panties, Quinn hazing Maya

Reactions: AvatarStormBringer

Zarathos4

Trial Moderator
Trial Moderator
Jul 25, 2018
How differently does Maya's story play out if dont warn her about Quinn. All the walkthrough says is if you like her, warn her. But I was trying to scroll through to get hits about what happens if you dont. I could find anything?

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
How differently does Maya's story play out if dont warn her about Quinn. All the walkthrough says is if you like her, warn her. But I was trying to scroll through to get hits about what happens if you dont. I could find anything?
We don't know yet as any ramifications from that choice haven't happened.

Ploate

Jun 6, 2020
The only change I've seen is Maya asks Sage to switch mothers. Sage refuses, Quinn takes revenge by making Maya do the scavenger hunt alone. If you don't warn her, this doesn't happen. Maya does some tasks of the scavenger hunt with Mona and Camilla (only mentioned), but still gets tasks she has to do by herself (the sex tasks). So that doesn't change.

Reactions: RonnieBoi

Laurelin

Apr 3, 2020

For me:
I'm such a Chick guy, so, don't be surprised :
Sad moments : the end of ep. 3 (Maya has a girlfriend... Josy !!!) ;
Happy moments : love scenes with Josy / Maya (not necessary lewd scenes...). Waiting for Jill....
Rage moment : even if Tybalt may have unanimous rejection, the only real rage moment was when I saw on my screen : "End of Episode 5" !! ;)

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
But can we really judge DPC on the basis of one singular piece of work? Some writers do stick to one particular genre and write stories that include similar elements albeit with different characters and settings, i.e. Tom Clancy who writes military-based novels. Other writers can have a more diverse range and write for different genres, i.e. Jordan Peele who has proven to be successful at writing horror movies but also writes for comedy movies and skits.

Just because DPC wrote one story that featured a very dark plot twist involving a psycho stalker and murder does not necessarily mean they are going to do something this dark again and I honestly feel as though people aren't giving DPC much credit as a writer by assuming they can only do one particular thing. Obviously, they could, but until then I'm withholding judgement and not going to automatically assume that this story will go down a similarly dark path as AL.

Bad things can still happen to certain characters, yes, but I think that the degree to which they will happen will not be as severe as AL.

A good creator knows their audience and even when they are proud with their previous works, they still have to take on the criticism they receive and either acknowledge it or ignore it. AL was a very gritty, grounded, emotionally charged story and I commend them for wanting to raise the standards by writing such a hard-hitting story, but the sharp twist at the end did prove widely controversial and overshadowed everything else. Sometimes you have to read the mood of the room and I'd say that that mood is generally against having this sort of thing, not just in this game, but in adult VNs in general. Even without knowing much about them, I don't see DPC as someone who will dismiss the criticism of AL's dark turn and continue to forge ahead with doing something similar in this game, knowing that people will not like it.

In the Feb Q&A, whilst they did say that they "don't shy away from writing about touchy subjects and feelings", they also said that it's important to "listen to their feedback without taking it personally" with regards to the players and that American Pie was "a source of inspiration together with many other college themed movies". So it would seem to me that, whilst there may be "touchy subjects" in this game, we're not going to see anything too dark or depressing by the end of this. At most, Quinn might go to prison, but then we'll probably flash forward several years in the last episode and find that she's completely reformed and maybe owns a legal weed shop in San Francisco, or something like that. But the LIs, side girls, DIKs, and others will probably all go on to have decent endings and maybe some will have funny, comedic endings like in Animal House.
I don't want to treat DPC as a one trick pony. Nonetheless when he's only made 1 complete game, that's all I can fairly judge him on.

It's not just the obvious twists in AL, it's DPC's overall philosophy that the way to make us feel for the characters is to put them through hell. You can see that even in BaDIK: Maya's father; Bella's husband; Josy's loneliness; the MC in Episode 4 (though that one partially missed the mark).

It's not that the technique is invalid, because it can definitely work: Josy's monologue in her second date, for example, really did make me care about her, and that's been a vital part of holding the M&J path together so far. But there is a limit to how far you can push that technique before the audience is overwhelmed and just tunes the whole thing out. What AL demonstrated is that DPC completely misjudged that line in his first work (IMHO, of course).

BaDIK is still in the first half of the story from everything we know, so it's too early to know how far it will try to push things. I agree that the raunchy college comedy setting means DPC doesn't intend to push things as far as he did in AL. But by the same token, I think the setting also means audience's personal limits are also going to be lower than they were in AL. That means that even if DPC intentionally dials down the drama, he could still overdo things even worse than before.

What I've seen so far makes me nervous. The M&J crisis was addressed, but nearly all of us agree the resolution was rushed and incomplete, and it's clear there will be more drama with them in the future. Sage is, to all appearances, unable to let go of a loveless relationship, and now she's being undermined by her HOT sisters. Bella's secret has had so much dark foreshadowing our only real hope is that DPC is going for a comedic anticlimax.

And maybe he will! I'm certainly hoping for it. But until something like that actually happens - a dramatic confrontation we dreaded is diffused (not merely postponed) in a lighthearted manner - I'm skeptical the college setting is proof against angst overload. I'm a big fan of the game, but I can't trust it yet.

To paraphrase City of Broken Dreamers, DPC can act as though he's not going to set us up all he wants; the problem is that is also exactly how he would act if he were setting us up.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRobinson

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017

For me:
Sad moment: Riona never orgasming
Happy moments: text chat with Quinn, lily tequila reward, Bella sauna scene
Rage moment: Jill interrupting sauna scene with bella

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes