flippityflop

Jun 29, 2020
Looking at this status update and the abundance of renders/animations that'll be in EP6 got me thinking about how the overall size of the game will be handled in the future. After just 5 episodes we're already past 8GB with over twice as many still on the way, it's going to get out of control for a VN. I've always found it odd that season 2 wasn't an entirely separate game with some form of save file transfer. I guess it's nice having all the gallery scenes in the same menu and I'm sure there are other benefits as well, but I can't say I'm looking forward to downloading a potentially 30+ GB game all over again if something like a walkthrough mod causes a rollback error that cannot be ignored.

Does anyone have any insight on why BaDIK is built this way? I've seen other Ren'Py games do separately packaged seasons so I doubt it's due to technical limitations.
I guess, some could say that 40GB+ is pretty standard for most tripple A titles, so why should Being A DIK be any different?
No idea how he'll approach this going past season 2 though. Can Ren'Py even handle all that data without catching fire and shitting all over itself?

Ideally, I could see this game going completely real time, using Unreal or even Unity (as a last resort).
Converting Daz3D assets is very much possible.
I don't know how well versed DPC is when it comes to that, but adjusting and rewriting the rendering pipeline to suit his needs would not be an easy task for a beginner.
And DPC is adamant about collaborating with anyone else... So, yeah, this doesn't look very good.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
I guess, some could say that 40GB+ is pretty standard for most tripple A titles, so why should Being A DIK be any different?
No idea how he'll approach this going past season 2 though. Can Ren'Py even handle all that data without catching fire and shitting all over itself?

Ideally, I could see this game going completely real time, using Unreal or even Unity (as a last resort).
Converting Daz3D assets is very much possible.
I don't know how well versed DPC is when it comes to that, but adjusting and rewriting the rendering pipeline to suit his needs would not be an easy task for a beginner.
And DPC is adamant about collaborating with anyone else... So, yeah, this doesn't look very good.
Didn't he say that Seasons will be of different downloads and act as separate games :unsure:

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I wanna see some actual progress with Sage, like a date or something. Something that a normal couple would do, breaking the whole fuck buddies thing. But maybe it’s too soon for that idk
At this point, I feel like we need progress with everyone.
  • Sage - Some movement on the Chad situation and seeing Sage start to want a bit more romance with the MC
  • Bella - More info about James and the locked door as well as getting a proper sex scene
  • M&J - Seeing how this "open" relationship works but also getting some alone with each of them to see how they feel about everything
  • Jill - Literally anything that gets to some kind of lewd action even if it's just a HJ while she's still fully clothed.

It's a DPC game! A developer known for building up a story and suddenly inserts the fire nation attacking and you suddenly have to choose who to save because you can't have it all!
Can we please just all remember that this is only DPC's 2nd game? One game does not a precedent make. If they had made 2 or 3 games with emotionally tragic and fatal endings, then maybe we could say that this is their typical style, but AL is our only reference for DPC and this game doesn't necessarily have to go in the same direction and I, for one, don't think that it will.

I pray it won't come to us having to choose whom to save, but rather, worst case scenario, us getting dumped for being unfaithful or not keeping our shit together.
At the moment, the MC isn't formally attached to any of them and if it were to stay that way for the majority of the game, then him being dumped for not being "faithful" isn't entirely fair. If, however, he commits to someone and then has sex with someone else, then perhaps that argument can be made, but again I feel that's too similar to what happened in AL and I would hope that DPC will handle this whole issue differently.

Poll news

I will wait a bit before posting any more polls because I need to think about what's left to vote on. I know I want some kind of animation poll, so I turned this post into a survey to see what you prefer to vote on.

Please vote on everything you'd like to see polls for and I will take the result of this survey into consideration for my next, but also future animation polls.

Have a nice weekend

Dr PinkCake
View attachment 771756
I'd probably vote on all 5, but ranking them in order of importance, I'd put them like this:
  1. Longer animations
  2. Normal sex scenes
  3. Sex scene focus
  4. Kinkier poses
  5. Where to cum
My, my. :PogChamp: Maybe the threesome every M&J's fan has dreamed of.
Dear God, I hope so. :giggle:

Does anyone have any insight on why BaDIK is built this way? I've seen other Ren'Py games do separately packaged seasons so I doubt it's due to technical limitations.
No idea how it's built, but DPC is definitely building this into one big game rather than separate it like Fetish Locator, Echoes of Lust, or DMD.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
Not sure that's a better or more delicate way of handling this.
Come to think of it, it's actually worse, not to mention awkward as hell.
I mean not a different game in the literal sense but Ren'Py would only need to handle the data of a single Season then. I seem to recall he was talking about this last year.

EDIT: https://f95zone.to/threads/being-a-dik-v0-5-2-dr-pinkcake.25332/post-2336561
UndercoverDude , here he explains that each season is planned to have its own binary so one doesn't have to download the whole all the time untill the project is completed. That was the plan. I can't tell if that changed since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPACE_BOOOOOST

flippityflop

Jun 29, 2020
I mean not a different game in the literal sense but Ren'Py would only need to handle the data of a single Season then. I seem to recall he was talking about this last year.
Never worked with Ren'Py, so I'd be the last person you'd want to ask about how it handles data. I hope it's possible though.

"All seasons will eventually be merged into a big single binary, when the game is completed."

Well, the good Doc seems confident in the fact that it's doable (at least he was back then). So, fingers crossed I guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ennoch

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
And turn this game into AL v.2? :censored: As for James returning, i can see this happening towards the end and serve as a final test for Bella.
If James returns, then it's just the straight version of the M&J situation, and we've dealt with something like that already which is why I hope that it's something different with them. Maybe he left her and she's delusionally holding out hope that he will one day come back to her, but he never will. Her not being able to let go of a past relationship and having the MC be someone who can help her to let go of it and to learn to love again would be a better story arc for her.

Never worked with Ren'Py, so I'd be the last person you'd want to ask about how it handles data. I hope it's possible though.
I don't know many games that have tried to split their games and transfer the data (choice, etc) over to the next one, but I do know that Fetish Locator did it recently to mixed results and Thirsty For My Guest is looking to do the same. Echoes of Lust has a Season 1 and Season 2, but since that game's linear it doesn't need data from the 1st to be used in the 2nd, and DMD has you manually enter what points you had and choices you made in the previous game which isn't a great system if you can't remember certain choices.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: flippityflop

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
I don't know many games that have tried to split their games and transfer the data (choice, etc) over to the next one, but I do knoe that Fetish Locator did it recently to mixed results and Thirsty For My Guest is looking to do the same. Echoes of Lust has a Season 1 and Season 2, but since that game's linear it doesn't need data from the 1st to be used in the 2nd, and DMD has you manually enter what points you had and choices you made in the previous game which isn't a great system if you can't remember certain choices.
I am in Heaven has this and yes, it has a sort of mixed results but i would say its just the minor inconvenience that it carries naturally. Still, the size is definitely an issue when it reaches a point and this title definitely reaches it so its a small price to pay. I'm confident that DPC will be able to come to a satisfactory resolution but the meantime i expect some form of minor inconvenience as well since relevant choices have to be transfered some way indeed.

But the idea to download like 15 GB for a 0.5kb bugfix patch just doesn't sound viable.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017
Can we please just all remember that this is only DPC's 2nd game? One game does not a precedent make. If they had made 2 or 3 games with emotionally tragic and fatal endings, then maybe we could say that this is their typical style, but AL is our only reference for DPC and this game doesn't necessarily have to go in the same direction and I, for one, don't think that it will.
Yes, I know that this is his second game. But DPC had made a huge 1st impression on AL. An impression that he is not afraid to cross lines. I see it as good thing for someone(like myself) who likes to read and watch. We'll have to wait and see if he does this time differently. But as for first impressions, I'm afraid for the safety and well-being of our beloved fictional characters.

flippityflop

Jun 29, 2020
At the moment, the MC isn't formally attached to any of them and if it were to stay that way for the majority of the game, then him being dumped for not being "faithful" isn't entirely fair. If, however, he commits to someone and then has sex with someone else, then perhaps that argument can be made, but again I feel that's too similar to what happened in AL and I would hope that DPC will handle this whole issue differently.
I expected you to say that. You pussyhound. :KEK:

• Haha
Reactions: Holy Bacchus

Phynix

Apr 12, 2018
If James returns, then it's just the straight version of the M&J situation, and we've dealt with something like that already which is why I hope that it's something different with them. Maybe he left her and she's delusionally holding out hope that he will one day come back to her, but he never will. Her not being able to let go of a past relationship and having the MC be someone who can help her to let go of it and to learn to love again would be a better story arc for her.
So we would have to choose between her and James, or both? :oops: Joking aside, i agree with you and also hope that it will be something different. I still think that whatever is left of their relationship exists only in her head and there's nobody left to be loyal to, but she's doing it because she (possibly) blames herself. I really hope that in the next update we get at least one answer to her problems because as of now the pile of questions only keeps growing.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Yes, I know that this is his second game. But DPC had made a huge 1st impression on AL. An impression that he is not afraid to cross lines. I see it as good thing for someone(like myself) who likes to read and watch. We'll have to wait and see if he does this time differently. But as for first impressions, I'm afraid for the safety and well-being of our beloved fictional characters.
But that's the thing, that shockingly tragic twist at the end got that game noticed. It raised DPC's profile, not only because of the controversy that it caused, but also the heartrending nature of it. As a first time dev, if you want to get yourself noticed, then this would certainly be a way to go about it. It also subverted expectations and, in a way, felt like it was taking a jab at adult VNs for always having harem and poly endings by literally killing off any chance of that in AL.

So really, AL felt like it a was a deliberately provocative game in order to build a name for himself which would help with his real pet project, Being A DIK. It could have backfired, of course, and people might have been so turned off by AL that he didn't get much support for this game, but it didn't backfire and he also picked the perfect setting to get people interested; an American college. In this regard, I'd say that DPC is a very shrewd dev because they played people well by first creating a provocative game to get noticed and then created a game with a setting that just screams "wild, unadulterated sex" to drive up interest and win back the AL detractors.

All of this is why I don't think we're going to see anything tragic befall any of the characters in this game because there isn't any need for DPC to create that kind of controversy again because both they and this game are in good standing with people and to pull another AL would just make them seem like a one-trick pony. This game will likely have some emotional ups and downs and it probably what that warning at the start of the game was all about, and some characters might not get particularly happy endings, but I'm sure they'll come out of this story alive.

I expected you to say that. You pussyhound. :KEK:
I just want to be able to bone all of them until at least ep 14, especially if we can go all the way to Spring Break. It would honestly be so boring if I had to settle down with someone by the end of Season 2, or even in Season 3 because there's still so much game left. It's like people who play the D-only path in DMD; they're missing out on so much by not being with the other girls and it also makes the game a lot shorter.

Let's also not forget the huge hypocrisy it would be from 4 out of the 5 LIs to accuse him of being "unfaithful" when M&J went after him while still being together, Sage became FWB with him with still technically in a relationship with Chad, and Bella has been all over him whilst knowing that her friend Jill has feelings for him. For any one of them to react badly because he's been seeing other people would be very hypocritcal.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017
Well, because it isn't a AAA title, for one. :D Don't get me wrong, BaDIK is by far my favorite VN (it's bordering obsession at this point if I'm being completely honest..:HideThePain:) but 30-40 GB for something that has very little to offer in terms of actual gameplay and is basically just clicking through pictures with a few animations every now and then is a bit steep. But I'm not even really arguing that it should be smaller just packaged more reasonably. The post Ennoch linked hints at this being the plan at some point for as long as the game is still in development but plans evidently do change.

As much as I would love to see this happening, a conversion like that - especially with a game this big - would take way too long and we're already looking at a final release date of somewhere around 2023, and even that's pretty optimistic.

Maybe a remaster after the game is finished - with some ray tracing on those titties.:BootyTime:

Dec 20, 2019
I don't know many games that have tried to split their games and transfer the data (choice, etc) over to the next one, but I do know that Fetish Locator did it recently to mixed results and Thirsty For My Guest is looking to do the same. Echoes of Lust has a Season 1 and Season 2, but since that game's linear it doesn't need data from the 1st to be used in the 2nd, and DMD has you manually enter what points you had and choices you made in the previous game which isn't a great system if you can't remember certain choices.
Looking at my list of games which I downloaded and haven't played, Maou-sama, Ecchi-sensei, Retrieving the Past and Mysterious Stones seem to be doing the same thing.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
BADIK aims to be a much more ambitious project than AL, which was ultimately a story confined to a smaller micro world than the one in which BADIK moves.
now around the relations with the LIs there is an entire college, with numerous secondary characters and subplots, the family of the MC is present in the story and at least one big twist will be linked to it.

however, inevitably our reference on DPC's work remains AL. and the points of contact are there for good and for bad aspects.

DPC promised us that there will be some highly depressing moments, so we just have to be prepared.

I am ready to accept any "dark" twist, including Bella serial killer or even an important bereavement. what would really bother me and disappoint me a lot would be to find at some point a dead end that cannot be avoided for any LIs (as happened in AL for Megan + Melissa). that would probably be a point of no return for me, and unfortunately I have some suspicions

-VQueS-

May 1, 2020

EDIT: https://f95zone.to/threads/being-a-dik-v0-5-2-dr-pinkcake.25332/post-2336561
UndercoverDude , here he explains that each season is planned to have its own binary so one doesn't have to download the whole all the time untill the project is completed. That was the plan. I can't tell if that changed since then.
The best way to go forward with the game is by uploading patches as well as a full game, including all episodes. The old idea of keeping multiple binaries on Patreon will make my workload much bigger since it makes it too different from how the Steam version is being handled.
https://f95zone.to/threads/being-a-dik-v0-5-2-dr-pinkcake.25332/post-3064966

flippityflop

Jun 29, 2020
Well, because it isn't a AAA title, for one. :D Don't get me wrong, BaDIK is by far my favorite VN (it's bordering obsession at this point if I'm being completely honest..:HideThePain:) but 30-40 GB for something that has very little to offer in terms of actual gameplay and is basically just clicking through pictures with a few animations every now and then is a bit steep. But I'm not even really arguing that it should be smaller just packaged more reasonably. The post Ennoch linked hints at this being the plan at some point for as long as the game is still in development but plans evidently do change.
I meant that some people would argue that Being A DIK is the triple A of adult VNs, so it would get a free pass when it comes to its size. :D
But yeah, 40GB for something you read and click through, sounds a bit excessive, no matter how life changing and awesome it could potentially become.
As much as I would love to see this happening, a conversion like that - especially with a game this big - would take way too long and we're already looking at a final release date of somewhere around 2023, and even that's pretty optimistic.

Maybe a remaster after the game is finished - with some ray tracing on those titties.:BootyTime:
It's very much within the realm of possibility. Tedious, sure. But once the framework is taken care of, it would be a cakewalk for the most part. Not to mention the production time would be halved in some cases.
And yes, the game' size would no longer be too much of a concern, since most assets could be reused with some tweaks and adjustments when necessary.

Reactions: SPACE_BOOOOOST

always86

Mar 19, 2020
I don't think there will be an arranged marriage for Jill, it would be an outdated choice, if the one with Rusty is skipped I don't see why they should force her to be with someone else.

Bella without her husband cannot divorce, at most she can set the procedure in motion, and we should still understand why this marriage is in crisis, and whose fault it is.

not being in the pact with Maya and Josy, I hope, leads to being able to open a relationship with one of the two, and this would hardly not lead to very dramatic moments, in which one of the two girls would find herself in the position in which they put MC. I struggle to call it a happy ending
I doubt we’ll get a arranged marriage, but it’s not impossible. DPC will have to be careful not to make people feel ‘cucked’ as some folks are VERY sensitive when it comes to their waifus. That said I do think there is a fairly strong chance she ends up with *shudders* Tybalt if the MC doesn’t interfere in one way or another. She doesn’t seem to be able to see through him.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
4.80 star(s) 1,528 Votes