Zirael Q

Aug 28, 2017

Last week I've mainly been writing/coding and posing some static renders.
These last few weeks I've been working on the checklist I made. It originally had roughly 160 bullet points and now it's down to 27, with several sub-tasks per task.
My strategy was to do every simple task at first to gain momentum, leaving the bigger tasks to the end and that's where I'm at right now.
To break it down for you, this is what remains in terms of development.
  • Writing: 6 scenes + 2 free roam events
  • Static renders: 18 scenes + 2 free roam events
  • Animations: 4 scenes (~20-50 animations, depending on the length of the animations)
Coding tasks:
  • Adding Bios
  • Some phone content
  • Making sure gallery scenes work
  • A tutorial for something new
  • Some code for something else that's new
  • Relationship reports
  • 1 minigame
  • Freeroam code
  • Adding music/sound to 10 scenes
  • Playtesting and polishing before beta testing and proofreading can begin.
The current render count is 2365 renders and 94 animations.
I have a queue with 49 static renders and 26 animations. Animations have been rendering rather slow lately, but you'll likely understand why when you see what's been cooking.
I estimate what's left in terms of art to be 20-50 animations and 500-1000 static renders. These are rough numbers.
The checklist is a bit more tangible now and it's nice to look at it without having to scroll to see the remaining tasks.
I want to finish writing the remaining scenes as soon as possible, so I can focus on the art afterward. That will be my main priority next week.
It's a story-heavy update and as you can see from the animation count, there will be lewd events to satisfy as well.
I passed episode 5 size in terms of writing sometime last week and there will be more things to do, unlock and discover in this update as well.
I've been working through a pesky cold this week, but nothing is going to stop me.
I hope you're as excited as I am because the mountain of work for episode 6 is almost down to pebble size.
Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
The update won't be in October I guess. End of September is my guess, amazing

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Does anyone else think that the characterization of Maya and to an extent Josy is a bit off in Chapter 5 ? I guess it could be because we spend far less time with them, but still.

I'm also super curious what's Bella's big secret that would scare the MC that bad. With that kind of setup it's going to be a let down if it's not something epic.
I don't think Maya and Josy's characterization was off per se. I think they just had to be squeezed into a tight time frame (like most things in Episode 5, alas). Thus we get odd bits like Josy ignoring everything to read her letter or Maya's scene starting well but becoming disappointingly formulaic. There just wasn't a chance to let our interactions with them develop of the pace they really should have.

That said, it's certainly true that Maya remains very different from the way she acted in Episode 1 and most of Episode 2, but I think that's intentional. It's a result of the fact she's close enough to the MC that she let's him see her vulnerable side rather than the facade she tries to project. It makes sense, but I really do miss Maya's playful side. Hopefully we'll get to see it again in Episode 6 if she and the MC (and Josy) can finally start to feel good about their new arrangement.
I felt it was a little bit off in a few respects, most notably with Maya during the picnic scene. Here was a girl who 3 nights ago was seemingly ready to put Josy behind her to be with the MC, 2 nights ago was professing about how she should have let down her guard more with him because he was worth doing that for, but now is basically saying, "I'm cool with the potential risk of losing you by giving you a free pass to fuck other girls". It's an odd switch for someone who seemed to be expresing some very deep feelings for him and wanting to be with him to suddenly being OK with him not being with her. It almost feels like DPC was trying to pump the brakes on the seriousness of this relationship since there are still so many episodes left to go, but it was done in a way that seemed quite out of character for Maya.

Then Josy had that moment in the Prep mansion where she immediately went to the MC to ask for moral support for when her Dad arrives but not Maya, her girlfriend. That moment is especially jarring if you're not on the M&J path given the events of the previous night, and I suppose it could be looked at as though Josy just naturally expects Maya to be there for her which is why she didn't ask her, but after the feelings expressed by those 2 in ep 4, it still feels a bit odd that she didn't seem to have much consideration for Maya in that moment.

Awesome as always. Thanks again, Bacchus!

One tiny, teeeeensy little nitpick? I'm pretty sure BaDIK takes place at a fictional College/University in the U.S. So, Cathy would be a 'math' teacher, not a 'maths' teacher.
I know that's how they would say it, but it's wrong, because the full word is 'mathematics'. It's plural since you can't do calculations with just a single number. 'Maths' takes 1+1 to make 2, whereas 'math' would basically be just saying the number 2. It's a pet peeve of mine, so I'll stick to the correct plural word.

I don't agree. Twins is a sexual tag. In a non sexual context is meaningless. Who would decide to play a game because it has two people that happen to be twins, but aren't even identical and have no sexual interactions together? It's completely meaningless. (I know it's in the rules, but using it like that is like saying people, or brunette if there's only one brunette in the background you don't interact with).
Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what the rules say. I 100% agree with you though, but it's something you'd have to take up with the admins to try and get changed, which is something I'm sure people have tried to do many times already.

always86

Mar 19, 2020
Not sure if anyone posted these comments 7656D0B0-92CA-45EC-81EB-618409CE5C53.jpeg

Sound like the DiK scale will be going away. Or at least frozen so MC will be fixed on a Whatever you are after the final choice. Kind of makes sense for a ‘first impressions’ system

DPC also mentioned he is planning to upgrade all his system to the new Nvidea cards which should help the process.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Not sure if anyone posted these comments View attachment 802604

Sound like the DiK scale will be going away. Or at least frozen so MC will be fixed on a Whatever you are after the final choice. Kind of makes sense for a ‘first impressions’ system

DPC also mentioned he is planning to upgrade all his system to the new Nvidea cards which should help the process.
Well something is definitely going to have to change with regards to the Affinity scale because there's 11 nodules on each side of the scale and so far there have been 9 Major Choices, so either side is pretty much wiped out by now if you make all choices in favour of one side and 2 more choices in ep 6 would finish it off.

Perhaps after ep 6 there will be no more Major Choices to decide Affinity and we'll be locked in to whatever Affinity we have for the rest of the game, and the Major Choices will either be completely removed in ep 7 or changed to something else that affects a new scale or determines how the story will unfold.

As for the graphics cards, they'll certainly help speed up rendering time, but it likely won't affect the time taken to pose and create the renders as that's the more involved part of the process. But it'll still be beneficial for them nontheless.

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
I'm not sure i like the sounds of completely locking affinity. There's got to be a continued major choice mechanic if its still going then be used in affecting MC options.

Reactions: ChipLecsap

iolkj

Nov 30, 2019
As for the graphics cards, they'll certainly help speed up rendering time, but it likely won't affect the time taken to pose and create the renders as that's the more involved part of the process. But it'll still be beneficial for them nontheless.
Well, I can see new graphics cards help (or influence) in several ways, accounting for his time to pose:
1. I would assume that posing an animation takes longer than posing a static (say, just for the sake of the argument, 10x the time), but rendering would take even more time (like 100x that of a static render). So while he could be in a position to do 10 fewer statics but 1 more animation in terms of his development time, but doing so (on a larger scale, like 200 statics for 20 animations) might result in too much time for rendering. New graphics card would help with that and allow him to have more animations for (relatively) less statics.
2. I would assume that longer animations take more time to pose, but again with a increase than rendering time. Say 1.5 times the posing time but 2 times for an animation of double length. Thus while he might be able to pose 2 long or 3 short animations in the same time, 20 long animations might not fit the rendering time budget, where 30 short animations do. Again, new graphics cards would change this and therefore allow him to have more longer animations at the expense of (relatively) fewer shorter animations.
3. Better graphics cards with more memory might allow for more complex scenes with more objects/people in them or more intricate lighting or other effects, both for static renders and animations, though of course more complex scenes would take more time to pose. Still, this could lead to (relatively) fewer but more complex scenes.
4. Also, I would expect his time available for posing to go up in the future, if he needs to do less new minigames and phone features (I guess that might be coming to an end) and improves on his speed in posing. So he might be able to do more statics and animations and with new graphics cards, he might have the additional rendering budget to actually do those.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Sound like the DiK scale will be going away. Or at least frozen so MC will be fixed on a Whatever you are after the final choice.
Did DPC say it was going away or being frozen somewhere other than the comment you've posted? Because this quote only says something will happen with the DIK scale, without giving any clues about what that may be.

Don't know that he necessarily needs to change it at all. Once you've maxed either CHICK or DIK major choices then making further CHICK/DIK major choices on the maxed stat would simply have no impact an Affinity, as the MC has already reached peak CHICK/DIKness.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneShotKiller

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I'm not sure i like the sounds of completely locking affinity. There's got to be a continued major choice mechanic if its still going then be used in affecting MC options.
But if you're going for full DIK or CHICK runs, would it really matter? This game already requires going along at least 4-5 different routes to get all the content and this wouldn't really change that. There can still be Major Choices that affect something in the game, but the Affinity scale is already at a point where the game can't sustain continued choices that affect it, so this has to change and soon.

Did DPC say it was going away or being frozen somewhere other than the comment you've posted? Because this quote only says something will happen with the DIK scale, without giving any clues about what that may be.

Don't know that he necessarily needs to change it at all. Once you've maxed either CHICK or DIK major choices then making further CHICK/DIK major choices would simply have no impact an Affinity as the MC has already reached peak CHICK/DIKness.
But the fact that these choices won't have an impact once people have wiped out one side makes it superfluous and pointless for those players, so something surely needs to be put in place to give them choices that have an actual impact.

Last edited:

ChipLecsap

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 4, 2019
I won't jump into conclusion yet. The thing is, taking away the freedom of choice suddenly, is not really an appealing idea. You make decisions, and suddenly you are forced to be on that path no matter what?! inable to change, not good. People can change, life is not black and white, something he himself acknowledged. image we have 20 episode, for 6 episode, you can make decisions, and then you are forced to be on that for the rest of the game, for 14 more episode. I don't know, it would feel weird. I think either it's gonna be reset, for example in each semester, or the whole Major Decision, crossroad event will be gone, or will be changed in different way.
but i don't want to jump into conclusion as i said, I would like more information, and not be left in the dark :D

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
I won't jump into conclusion yet. The thing is, taking away the freedom of choice suddenly, is not really an appealing idea. You make decisions, and suddenly you are forced to be on that path no matter what?! inable to change, not good. People can change, life is not black and white, something he himself acknowledged. image we have 20 episode, for 6 episode, you can make decisions, and then you are forced to be on that for the rest of the game, for 14 more episode. I don't know, it would feel weird. I think either it's gonna be reset, for example in each semester, or the whole Major Decision, crossroad event will be gone, or will be changed in different way.
but i don't want to jump into conclusion as i said, I would like more information, and not be left in the dark :D
I prefer to think of it as revealing our MC. If, at the end of the game, your MC finishes at -6 (that would be 6 positions from the left on the Affinity metre) then that's who your MC always was, it's just that these complete strangers didn't get that at first and discovered it over time.

And, while you're right that people can change, that doesn't mean other people will accept that change, or even believe it's real. Let me ask you this, how many good deeds would Jeffrey Dahmer have had to perform before people believed he'd truly reformed? I'm guessing there is no possible number (outside of some very sad women who really need a hug).

Planned 16 episodes, 5 of which we've played through which have covered 2 weeks of the MC's life, this ain't an epic adventure.
DIk Path is Best Path
Unless you want a polyamorous relationship with 2 slamming hotties :D

Last edited:

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
But if you've gone full DIK or CHICK, then you've already made the choice. Even players going on a Neutral path have made their choice and even if there's some content locked behind DIK and CHICK affinity, well then this just means players have to have DIK and CHICK run saves which is what replayability is all about.

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020
I almost forgot about being 2 major choices away from completely depleting one side of the bar on a major DIK/CHICK run. I wonder what DPC planned for when that happens.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I guess we're close to a MAJORMEGAHUGE turning point in story which immediate outcome would be determined by player's current affinity (and might be especially hurtful for those balls deep in the DIK side of the bar). Then we could still make different choices, (even opposite to our affinity) in the aftermath of the event to advance the story in one direction or another

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ChipLecsap

ChipLecsap

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 4, 2019
But if you've gone full DIK or CHICK, then you've already made the choice. Even players going on a Neutral path have made their choice and even if there's some content locked behind DIK and CHICK affinity, well then this just means players have to have DIK and CHICK run saves which is what replayability is all about.
The way I see, He just made the whole situation more complicated for himself right from the beginning. :LOL: He need to provide at least 2 different content ,if we assume, that most of the stuff is also available if you are a neutral guy..
I never liked the system from the beginning anyway. So far the Affinity is restrain you. :LOL:.

Reactions: Conklingc
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes