pkingesq

Aug 11, 2020
Nope, UK, and I've been to the US 5 times and have also visited 8 European countries several times. Even so, all you'd have to do is a quick Google search or even Street View of the cities, towns, and villages in European countries to see how suburban building design varies quite a bit between each of them.

There are certainly some Daz assets that would work in British-based games, such as the and , but they wouldn't work in a US-based game like BaDIK anymore than a would work in a British or Swedish-based game.

DPC is good, but no amount of creative camera angles could make distinctly American-style assets work in a game that's not set in America.

I don't believe that would be proper etiquette, my good man. ;) *sips tea and nibbles on a crumpet*
Who is the crumpet you are nibbling on whilst drinking your tea ;)

• Haha
Reactions: RonnieBoi

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I don't get why you are so obsessed with the assets and architecture. The main problem with a non-US setting is that nobody would understand it. From movies and sitcoms and everything else, we all at least have an idea of how us colleges work. But if a game was set in, lets say France, I wouldn't understand a thing. How old are people in what phases of their study? What are typical activities? How are courses organized? In books, good translators have to do a lot of work to adapt these things so the readers in different cultures can understand it. Except if its US centric, because everyone knows that already. And that is the point.

Besides, this is clearly inspired by other works, such as the American Pie series, which obviously influences how it is set up. And these fraternity stories wouldn't fit anywhere else at all, that's just a mainly US thing, as far as I know.
personally I am so addicted to the US model through movies and TV series, that any different setting confuses me

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
so what is the version that i need to only dowload 0.6??
v0.5.0 or v0.5.1, ideally not unpacked and not modded.

The v0.5.2 full here isn't an official release and is unpacked, so may have problems patching it to v0.6.

Well, I have all the renders from a previous play through, but I'm playing again. All the renders are still saved from the previous play so when in free roam or the mini games you can't get them, you already have them. I want to be able to get them again, playing from scratch, so to speak.
To clear all your previous progress you'd need to delete the persistent file, which is where those unlocked renders are stored.

Ren'Py keep copies of your save files in two places, you need to delete the persistent file from both (I'd create a backup first):
<Wherever you installed BaDIK>\game\saves\
C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\BeingaDIK-1535311494 or win+r %appdata%\RenPy\BeingaDIK-1535311494

Last edited:

TripleV

Jun 10, 2018
DPC has the (sometimes) rare ability to create characters that are believable and that people fall in love with.

DPC also writes great dialogue that's often witty and actually sounds like something a human being would say.

Both of those qualities are rare in games these days.

I think DPC has, at times, a problem with plotlines. Altho I do recognize that BaDIK is a way more extensive and complicated story than AL, and even with it's flaws, is better than so many games being produced today, not to mention many movies and TV shows.
I think BaD is hitting a problem that has been a part of choice based games in general for a while now, but is only now making its way to adult games. As much as players say they want their choices to make a difference, majority still want to feel like they are central everything and that all can be achieved. With adult games this means that while there are choices there, it requires almost all the attractive female/male characters, depending on the type of the game, to feel fundamentally attracted to the MC as it has to be MCs choice if to pursue them or not.

The difficulty is that we all get that's not how things are with human interactions, but is a part of the wish fulfillment of the game. However, it also makes it difficult to efficiently create those layered characters and plotlines as it all has to ultimately come back to the MC and have him be the deciding factor in them. It is a tricky balance and I do have some understanding towards more ambitious game developers trying to juggle that balance such as DPC is doing here. However, I also don't think that explains all the issues with the game as the most talked about plot problem here goes far beyond this.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Random thing I just wanted to share - over the last few nights I replayed Acting Lessons for the first time since it was completed, and I never realised/didn't remember that
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
no, because DPC said they are separate stories in two different "universes".

I would have liked it too

Reactions: Sev162

Saramago

Sep 23, 2017
Random thing I just wanted to share - over the last few nights I replayed Acting Lessons for the first time since it was completed, and I never realised/didn't remember that
Also replayed AL a while ago and, well, I'm a simple man. Seeing Quinn as a nurse was all the easter eggs I needed

Esp``

Aug 21, 2019
I think BaD is hitting a problem that has been a part of choice based games in general for a while now, but is only now making its way to adult games. As much as players say they want their choices to make a difference, majority still want to feel like they are central everything and that all can be achieved. With adult games this means that while there are choices there, it requires almost all the attractive female/male characters, depending on the type of the game, to feel fundamentally attracted to the MC as it has to be MCs choice if to pursue them or not.

The difficulty is that we all get that's not how things are with human interactions, but is a part of the wish fulfillment of the game. However, it also makes it difficult to efficiently create those layered characters and plotlines as it all has to ultimately come back to the MC and have him be the deciding factor in them. It is a tricky balance and I do have some understanding towards more ambitious game developers trying to juggle that balance such as DPC is doing here. However, I also don't think that explains all the issues with the game as the most talked about plot problem here goes far beyond this.
Nicely put, yeah. "I want choices to matter but I want to experience all of them at the same time" plagues choice based games for some time. Especially for VN's since they are more intimate, it also is one of the only ways to split content and add more replayability but it still feels bitter. When it is done good, it makes the player just start again with planning a different route, when it is done bad it just feels weird.

I know the other guy literally ignored everything I said and quoted one sentence to farm reactions but when you make out with Camila 2 times and even have a threesome with her and Mona already, it feels weird to have her scene in EP5 locked out just because you didn't pay like 3 episodes ago. Even if you got closer with her and literally had sex with her in the story, it does not matter to DPC. As I said, weird.

Reactions: moskyx

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Makes me wonder if we'll see any cameos/references
As felicemastronzo says:
it's a deffo same universe - DIK would be just too much of coincidence.
Originally it was meant to be a prequel to AL. I dropped that idea. but kept the DIK part because of reasons. It's not the same universe, nor should you expect to see any deliberate reference or face from AL. It's a new story, I'm starting fresh. So if you play the updates waiting for it to turn into AL 2.0, you will miss out on the journey.

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
It's a different universe. DPC just uses some of the same assets (guess there aren't that many fraternity assets available). It's not just the MC and Liam, it's also the two girls you can meet at the bar (whatever their names were), they got HOT uniforms.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020

if you are referring to Maya and Josy, I disagree. both because they are attracted to Mc, so that's not the problem, and because they are official LIs, so if they weren't attracted to Mc it would be a "scam" (as with Leah in AL for example)

if instead you refer in general to the difficulties to reach our "dreams of love", then for me it is not a problem, on the contrary it gives more taste

Sev162

Jun 4, 2018
no, because DPC said they are separate stories in two different "universes".
Ah that's a shame, but probably the safer way to handle things - rather than trying to make everything he does part of a big shared universe and having people wanting favourite character reappearances all the time.

As felicemastronzo says:
Thank you for finding the quote to share! Understandable that he decided to go that way. I'm glad he changed from it being a prequel to AL, but still could've been fun if it was just in the same universe with a reference or two here and there. Like I said above though, probably the safer/smarter way to just keep things separate.

It's not just the MC and Liam, it's also the two girls you can meet at the bar (whatever their names were), they got HOT uniforms.
Oh wow I didn't see the bedroom scenes with them in this replay so never saw that, but that's cool!

Reactions: Meushi

Derptronic

Jun 10, 2018
Wouldn't that mean Being a DIK takes place long before Acting Lessons then? Rusty and Tommy created the frat only a couple years prior to the main story.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
It's a different universe. DPC just uses some of the same assets (guess there aren't that many fraternity assets available). It's not just the MC and Liam, it's also the two girls you can meet at the bar (whatever their names were), they got HOT uniforms.
also in "Melody" a HOT uniform appears, am I think it's just a tribute

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
do you hope that the game of D&G resolves (partially) the complicated relationship between Maya and Josy and the "players"?
your optimism moves me, I am ready to support your dream.

maybe if they destroy the ring and save the 4 lands with heroic and altruistic gestures they can do it
No, as I said I think it's too late for DPC to fix the relationship with the players (at least directly); everyone who is inclined to forgive them already has.

But M&J are still going to be a big part of the story, so getting players hostile to them to at least grin and bear them is necessary. IMHO illustrating a genuine platonic friendship between them (rather than just asserting one exists) would be a big step in the right direction for that.

Don't dwell on it, and definitely don't try to guilt the player into admitting he was wrong to ever dislike them. Just show why MC enjoys spending time with them and move on.

My worry is that DPC is going to be so focused on giving us a solo path with each girl that the "friendship" route is only going to underscore that the two are terrible lovers and reinforce the notion that the MC should want nothing to do with them. DPC needs to reconnect the characters to the MC before he can try to split them up and pair them off. It will be a slow process, but that's what happens when you poison your own well.

Blake45666

Aug 31, 2020
Why do people hate Josy so much? I think she is kinda cute tho
people just have their own opinions about everything and it's just a bit more obvious with Maya and Josy because a lot of people disliked episode 4's handling of the relationship between those 2 and the MC

i personally don't like the look of Bella (but i do like her as a character), and she's by far the favorite of the general community so yeah, opinions i guess. I am glad at least some people like Josy though, she's indeed cute and a fun character

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
No, as I said I think it's too late for DPC to fix the relationship with the players (at least directly); everyone who is inclined to forgive them already has.

But M&J are still going to be a big part of the story, so getting players hostile to them to at least grin and bear them is necessary. IMHO illustrating a genuine platonic friendship between them (rather than just asserting one exists) would be a big step in the right direction for that.

Don't dwell on it, and definitely don't try to guilt the player into admitting he was wrong to ever dislike them. Just show why MC enjoys spending time with them and move on.

My worry is that DPC is going to be so focused on giving us a solo path with each girl that the "friendship" route is only going to underscore that the two are terrible lovers and reinforce the notion that the MC should want nothing to do with them. DPC needs to reconnect the characters to the MC before he can try to split them up and pair them off. It will be a slow process, but that's what happens when you poison your own well.
do you know what an incredible help would be in this?

in the path of friendship Maya and Josy should make an evident contribution in helping MC in the relationship with the other LIs, but a contribution so important that without it, MC would have to give up.

this would be consistent with friendship, it would clear any doubts (at least many) about the nature of the relationships between them and it would also be an interesting premise for the switch to the "solo route" with Maya or Josy

for example as fan fiction: Jill catches Mc in an unfortunate situation (due to the scavenger hunt) and decides not to have anything to do with him anymore, avoiding him repeatedly.
Josyand /or Maya takes charge of the problem and explains the misunderstanding to Jill allowing a rapprochement with MC

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 1,527 Votes