Sep 22, 2017
to increase your confusion in Italy we have two semesters, a period in which there are university courses and at the end of each there is an exam session ... but they last 5 months: September-January and February-June (maximum beginning July)
Wait.. Is that not the norm everywhere?:oops: Damn, and here I was judging Sage for not saying she's graduating next semester, thinking that way she could've avoided confusion. Turns out she simply would've confused people from different countries instead.:FacePalm:

7inn

Jul 21, 2020
I've watched American Pie Beta House yesterday and i must say the hole movie i thought about Being a Dik.
I've always liked this college / high school setting
Especially its humor.
I don't know what it is, but this game captivates me.
Maybe because this culture is alien to me?

Sep 22, 2017
I've watched American Pie Beta House yesterday and i must say the hole movie i thought about Being a Dik.
Especially its humor.
Probably a big part of it, yeah. We don't have frats in my country either and as much fun as getting wasted and doing stupid shit in college is on its own, I've always wondered what it would be like doing it in a more.. uhh.. organized fashion with a bunch of like-minded bros. DPC has really hit the jackpot with this one as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I'm rewatching Beta House tonight, thanks for reminding me!:D

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Especially its humor.
When done right the college setting is great. But it is overused by so many developers in a lazy half-assed way.

It would be great if developers located in non-USA countries embraced that and set their games in their own countries or countries they are more familiar with than a pseudo-US... I'd enjoy playing through a game with a university setting in England, France, Spain, Poland, etc.

Probably a big part of it, yeah. We don't have frats in my country either and as much fun as getting wasted and doing stupid shit in college is on its own, I've always wondered what it would be like doing it in a more.. uhh.. organized fashion with a bunch of like-minded bros. DPC has really hit the jackpot with this one as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I'm rewatching Beta House tonight, thanks for reminding me!:D
Yeah, frats are not as prevalent or as interesting as DPC makes them. But then it would be boring if it was too true to life.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
When done right the college setting is great. But it is overused by so many developers in a lazy half-assed way.

It would be great if developers located in non-USA countries embraced that and set their games in their own countries or countries they are more familiar with than a pseudo-US... I'd enjoy playing through a game with a university setting in England, France, Spain, Poland, etc.
Problem with that is that most assets used for world building are generally American style, such as buildings, cityscapes, apartments, kitchens, cars, etc. There's a few assets that are British, European, and Asian, but not much. Pretty much everything seen in this game wouldn't work if DPC tried to set the game in Sweden.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Problem with that is that most assets used for world building are generally American style, such as buildings, cityscapes, apartments, kitchens, cars, etc. There's a few assets that are British, European, and Asian, but not much. Pretty much everything seen in this game wouldn't work if DPC tried to set the game in Sweden.
I understand that the assets are more American, doesn't mean the developer can't take those assets and use them for their own "more European" world. Instead we often get weird hybrids that make little sense to all involved. Obviously BADIK is an exception to all of the other games out there.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I understand that the assets are more American, doesn't mean the developer can't take those assets and use them for their own "more European" world. Instead we often get weird hybrids that make little sense to all involved. Obviously BADIK is an exception to all of the other games out there.
For the most part, it is difficult to do that. Building design in Britain, the US, and in each European country are all very distinctive fom each other, especially when it comes to housing. The houses of the HOTs, DIKs, and Jocks, for example, are not a style of building you'd ever see in the UK, Sweden, France, Russia, etc. They're purely American style houses. Same with city buildings and roads signs, so it makes it difficult to create a game set in countries outside the US.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
For the most part, it is difficult to do that. Building design in Britain, the US, and in each European country are all very distinctive fom each other, especially when it comes to housing. The houses of the HOTs, DIKs, and Jocks, for example, are not a style of building you'd ever see in the UK, Sweden, France, Russia, etc. They're purely American style houses. Same with city buildings and roads signs, so it makes it difficult to create a game set in countries outside the US.
Yeah, but I don't feel the architecture is that important overall. I guess my suspension of disbelief would be fine with the disparity. Though I understand some people would have an issue with it.

Reactions: Maviarab

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
You're confusing "semester" which means "half of a (school) year" with "trimester" which means "a third of a (school) year (or even pregnancy, for example)". Those are two completely different ways of dividing a calendar/school year, while the word "term" is a general, well, term :p:geek:that does not have a specific duration or partition size and thus can be used in both cases.
So as mentioned above, while a semester can be 6 months or ~4/whatever depending on what you mean, there cannot be 3 semesters in a single year - that would make them trimesters.
No, I'm not confusing the 2 names.

I absolutely agree that you are correct in terms of dictionary definition of the words. But where I am from, nobody uses the word "trimester" even though the calendar is divided into 3 roughly equal school terms. Everybody call each one of them a "semester". And the words "semester" and "term" are used interchangeably when it comes to each block of school calendar.

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
Thank you! I thought I was the only one who wanted more Euro-centric games. It seldom feels legit when a non-U.S. dev makes a game set in the U.S. Even putting aside the usual "Engrish" problems, they are easy to spot. It's just difficult to write convincingly about a different culture. I'm sure an American AVN dev would butcher any attempt to set a game in Latvia for example.

The game assets issue doesn't bother me. I can look past that. You don't have to have your characters standing in front of the Eiffel Tower or the Kremlin. Generic buildings are fine and many scenes take place indoors anyway. I just want to see some games set in a dev's native Russia or Czechia...hell anywhere but the U.S. Who wouldn't want to solve a mystery/thriller in Bucharest or romance some smoking hot Polish women in Warsaw. Alas, the target $ market is North America, so we're stuck with pizza for dinner...again. :cautious:

arlamrex

Apr 22, 2020
guys any news about update v0.6, I am too poor to be a patron. Just give me a clue. Is it update faster than cyberpunk or worse ?

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Really not that different given the States got the designs/ideas mostly from European style ;) I think you are in the US yes HB? Have you actually ever travelled around the UK, Europe?

As for Daz...there are plenty of assets available if one wishes to look and purchase them (plenty of sites around...not just limited to Daz). Besides, little bit of creative camera angles...dab of photoshop...anything is possible. Interior design is incredibly even more similar (mainstream construction).
Nope, UK, and I've been to the US 5 times and have also visited 8 European countries several times. Even so, all you'd have to do is a quick Google search or even Street View of the cities, towns, and villages in European countries to see how suburban building design varies quite a bit between each of them.

There are certainly some Daz assets that would work in British-based games, such as the and , but they wouldn't work in a US-based game like BaDIK anymore than a would work in a British or Swedish-based game.

DPC is good, but no amount of creative camera angles could make distinctly American-style assets work in a game that's not set in America.

I think Bacchus mentioned the other day that he lives in the UK which means better brace yourself for a snappy answer.:LOL:
I don't believe that would be proper etiquette, my good man. ;) *sips tea and nibbles on a crumpet*

4.80 star(s) 1,527 Votes