Apr 3, 2020
Hi guys. I'm playing Ep 8 and I don't get what's the point for DPK doing so many branches almost equal to each other.

Don't get me wrong: I love this game. It's one of the best adult game I've ever played (if not the best). But I can't help asking why the routes/ scenes don't follow some kind of logic. DPC keeps making pointless little branches which forces the player to multiply the number of similar gameplays just for unlock one or another scene. For example:

-You can't unlock at the same time both Riona and Camila scenes at HOT's party in Ep 7, althoug both characters seem to be suitable for a DIK path and are not main girls.
-Also at HOT's party, you can't unlock the full version of Sage scene and get the Lily scene at the same gameplay.. Both characters seems suitable for a DIK path, and Lily is not one of the main girls.
-Ep 8, at Pink Rose, you have to choose if you want a scene with Nicole/ Envy or Sandy. Until now, you would have guessed that the two characters would remain on a same path. But you are forced to miss a scene with one of them.
-A lot of other scenes I can't remember right now.

I find it kind of annoying. What's the point? Am I supposed to load a save game and change my choice just to unlock a scene on the gallery? I could understand if DPK would make mutualy exclusive paths for the main girls (i.e.: can't get Jill and Sage scenes at the same time). But why would he make so many mutually exclusive scenes and so force the player either to do thousands of gameplay or load a saved game.

And just to clarify: this game is amazing. I just want to know if you feel the same about games that have too many branches....

Reactions: Kellermann

AchedCroissant

Conversation Conqueror
May 29, 2020
Hi guys. I'm playing Ep 8 and I don't get what's the point for DPK doing so many branches almost equal to each other.

Don't get me wrong: I love this game. It's one of the best adult game I've ever played (if not the best). But I can't help asking why the routes/ scenes don't follow some kind of logic. DPC keeps making pointless little branches which forces the player to multiply the number of similar gameplays just for unlock one or another scene. For example:

-You can't unlock at the same time both Riona and Camila scenes at HOT's party in Ep 7, althoug both characters seem to be suitable for a DIK path and are not main girls.
-Also at HOT's party, you can't unlock the full version of Sage scene and get the Lily scene at the same gameplay.. Both characters seems suitable for a DIK path, and Lily is not one of the main girls.
-Ep 8, at Pink Rose, you have to choose if you want a scene with Nicole/ Envy or Sandy. Until now, you would have guessed that the two characters would remain on a same path. But you are forced to miss a scene with one of them.

I find it kind of annoying. What's the point? Am I supposed to load a save game and change my choice just to unlock a scene on the gallery? I could understand if DPK would make mutualy exclusive paths for the main girls (i.e.: can't get Jill and Sage scenes at the same time). But why would he make so many mutually exclusive scenes and so force the player either to do thousands of gameplay or load a saved game.

And just to clarify: this game is amazing. I just want to know if you feel the same about games that have too many branches....
I don't mind making several branches... This gives the game more life and more playing time... Games like Detroit Become Human have many branches and you always want to explore each branch to see what changes it has in the story...This game is the same

Apr 3, 2020
I don't mind making several branches... This gives the game more life and more playing time... Games like Detroit Become Human have many branches and you always want to explore each branch to see what changes it has in the story...This game is the same
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know that giving many branches increases the amount of hours you can get from a game. And as I said, I agree on doing different branches for the main girls. It will affect the plot and the endings, I guess. But I feel some "branches" are just made to not let you unlock the scenes. Nothing more changes from that. Like the example of chosing Envy or Sandy... Playing two branches that are almost equal to each other just to unlock another scene makes it quite annoying for me. But I get your point.

I would prefer a game with a few paths to choose from, but really different from each other

Reactions: 27X and DavDR

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
I Still need make my Jill and Bella run.
On my Jill/Bella run, when forced to choose in ep. 8, I went with Jill. I felt like it would be easier to coax Bella back into a relationship or a threesome than it would bringing a heartbroken Jill back into it. Bella took the rejection better than expected, but for Jill...there is no coming back from seeing MC balls deep in her best friend on the dining table.

With all of the innuendos, intimate scenes of the Jill/Bella in bed, and the teasing special renders, I just have to believe DPC will eventually complete the Jill and Bella sandwich with MC as the meat. Hell, he threw an unlikely Quinn/Sage/MC scene at us in ep. 8 so there is still hope for a variety of different combos if you have played your save correctly.

Agreed. DPC has a hardon for story branching. Replayability might be a part of it, but I think he also uses incessant branching as another failsafe against modding (which he hates) and against players circumventing his preferred play style of pursuing only one or two girls per playthrough. This man despises harems and doesn't want you to unlock all lewd content in one run (or even a few). He wants you to have to grind through the game a dozen or more times to unlock everything. More importantly to him, you must play the game in the "proper" way, the DPC way. Some players love it, others don't. I didn't mind it at all in season 1, but now that we are entering season 3, I view it as tedious to start from the beginning because of something I messed up in ep. 3 has come back to haunt me in ep. 8 or because a new LI has been introduced. Like you I think the game is amazing but also yes to your thoughts on too much unnecessary branches.

27X

Oct 30, 2019
On my Jill/Bella run, when forced to choose in ep. 8, I went with Jill. I felt like it would be easier to coax Bella back into a relationship or a threesome than it would bringing a heartbroken Jill back into it. Bella took the rejection better than expected, but for Jill...there is no coming back from seeing MC balls deep in her best friend on the dining table.

With all of the innuendos, intimate scenes of the Jill/Bella in bed, and the teasing special renders, I just have to believe DPC will eventually complete the Jill and Bella sandwich with MC as the meat. Hell, he threw an unlikely Quinn/Sage/MC scene at us in ep. 8 so there is still hope for a variety of different combos if you have played your save correctly.

Agreed. DPC has a hardon for story branching. Replayability might be a part of it, but I think he also uses incessant branching as another failsafe against modding (which he hates) and against players circumventing his preferred play style of pursuing only one or two girls per playthrough. This man despises harems and doesn't want you to unlock all lewd content in one run (or even a few). He wants you to have to grind through the game a dozen or more times to unlock everything. More importantly to him, you must play the game in the "proper" way, the DPC way. Some players love it, others don't. I didn't mind it at all in season 1, but now that we are entering season 3, I view it as tedious to start from the beginning because of something I messed up in ep. 3 has come back to haunt me in ep. 8 or because a new LI has been introduced. Like you I think the game is amazing but also yes to your thoughts on too much unnecessary branches.
That would be because this is a vanity project, not a game. The pro of a vanity project is you get the unfiltered content the creator wanted in its exact form.

That's also the con of a vanity project.

Season 2 has an asston of railroading down very specific rabbit holes, the throuple you have has to be gamified to be maintained, meanwhile the throuple that is rather obvious and pretty much exactly how throuples work in the real world is off limits because reasons.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Kellermann

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
What I'm trying to ask here is, Is it possible to continue story with Maya /Josy without visiting Isabella during end of Eps 3 when it's gives you a options with whom would you prefer to crash night with Isabella , Derek or Sage?
for the route with Maya and Josy the best choice is to go to Derek, because to go to Bella or Sage you need to be in their route, but at that point if you have them available as a choice it means that it is too late, at the end of chapter 3 the choice doesn't make any difference

then in chapter 8 you can choose to dedicate yourself only to Maya and Josy, we don't know if being in the routes of the other girls will have negative consequences.

slick97

Dec 2, 2021

I always wondered why season 2 felt like DPC's hand was tightening around my wrist when it came to exploring the different relationships, and your explanation sums up why. I do enjoy the plot and subplots of season 2 better than season 1, but its a bit exhausting knowing I'll have to restart from episode 3 to be able to fully explore each branch for the LI's or to continue playing the field.

Perhaps the best and most frustrating mechanic of the game is MC's affinity. Some LI's seem to not care at all about your affinity (Josy and Bella), and yet some of them that do also have a tolerance for the opposing affinity (Maya and Sage). Its interesting to experiment with what kinds of actions you can get away with, but it feels a bit unbalanced that Jill is the only character that requires you to have an affinity in order to pursue her as a love interest. It makes sense for her character but feels odd that there isn't a character to juxtapose her (unless you count Quinn through the Other's choice) like there is for the other 4 LI's.

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017
I’m thinking… No. To everything.
Okay, the first part is highly speculative. I admit that.(y)

But the second part could fit from a basic structure.:rolleyes::unsure:

Would it be so unlikely that Isabella works in the S&R library? I don't think so, because the MC also works in the B&R library.:D

In the intro to EP8, we see Bella and James arguing, and if there's one thing we know about Isabella, it's that she can be a stubborn bitch. She loses her job at the S&R library and gets a new job at the B&R library. James, however, can't come along so easily because he has some sort of commitments (I'm guessing James is an archaeologist. Mask at Isabella's house). Isabella and James have a long distance relationship where they can't see each other every week. Isabella meets Jill and they become friends. The two become closer at a wine tasting. They have sex together, but are caught in flagrante delicto by James. Bella and James fight again, and James accuses Isabella of cheating on her. However, Isabella thinks that it is not cheating, since she is making out with a woman and James already had a threesome with Isabella and another woman before they got married (Isabella thinks that James would not mind if she dispelled her loneliness and sadness with another woman). James flies back to the place he came from, but the plane crashes. (Derek's scene in EP8 with the paper plane.) There were survivors rescued from the sea. (Read the paper) Since then, James has been considered missing. This gives DPC the option of having James live or be dead.

I should also explain what Isabella forgives James for. The two were at the beach one time. To me, it reads like Isabella and James were joyfully experimenting. Three-way sex outdoors, with James having an accident with the other woman. Of course, they were being watched. The peeping tom then became a stalker of Isabella. I think you know what I mean by stalker, and Isabella doesn't like it at all that she now has a stalker. The other woman has a child that Isabella doesn't know about. Who is the child?

Theory. (Very speculative):eek::unsure::rolleyes:
It's Sage and her mother is the drug addict from EP6. Not the one from the intro, but the one Quinn passes when she gets drugs from Buddy. It gets even better. That's how Quinn and Sage get to know each other. During a police raid (read the paper), Sage and Quinn are arrested. It turns out that James is Sage's father, but he is considered missing. James' next of kin are informed. Stephen learns that his brother James has a child. Stephen can't leave his niece with a drug addict. Stephen and Jade adopt Sage to get her out of the drug milieu.

Last edited:

Casiope

Nov 30, 2017
I know that giving many branches increases the amount of hours you can get from a game. And as I said, I agree on doing different branches for the main girls. It will affect the plot and the endings, I guess. But I feel some "branches" are just made to not let you unlock the scenes. Nothing more changes from that. Like the example of chosing Envy or Sandy... Playing two branches that are almost equal to each other just to unlock another scene makes it quite annoying for me. But I get your point.

I would prefer a game with a few paths to choose from, but really different from each other
We are talking about a game design which divides the players between completionists for whom each scene counts, and roleplayers. For the last ones, the experience is about the ability to play a unique character and assume the twist of fate.

From a creator's point of view, this approach requires efforts, but allows for more scenes while keeping control of the script. The story wouldn't be as interesting if there weren't these trade-offs: our hero having sex with so many girls at the HOTs' last party was hard to believe for me. But how would players react if Dr PinkCake didn't offer options to match their preferences? I don't see any other way to enjoy such a large cast of female characters except to include them more strictly in branch or affinities.

The disadvantages you listed are many; we may have the feeling not to act as we wish for. As some choices have implications despite a trivial aspect, we are compeled to reload; I think in particular of the last scene with Sarah. Again, some players appreciate this feature as a replay value.

So this design corresponds above all to the creator's ambition to have a consistent narrative while meeting the demands for new scenes, but it confronts the very nature of the player to enjoy the game to the fullest. On a personal level, it motivated me to write a guide to deliver more transparency on the many opportunities.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
The point is to enhance replayability, and to have actual impacts in gameplay based on (some) of our choices. The latter is something of a rarity in AVNs, it's one of the features which make this game standout from many others.

No one is forcing the player to do anything, some people just play a single save and don't worry about unlocking everything (or use mods to unlock things afterwards).

If you're a completionist however, grind comes with the territory. If you're doing separate runs for each main girl, then the branching side quests are a plus. You can uncover new side girl content on each run, so makes the replays more varied.

All these little details & variations are one of the things which make BaDIK more interesting from my perspective.

Good thing Ren'Py has fast-forward features though, otherwise all those replays would be an even greater test of endurance.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know that giving many branches increases the amount of hours you can get from a game. And as I said, I agree on doing different branches for the main girls. It will affect the plot and the endings, I guess. But I feel some "branches" are just made to not let you unlock the scenes. Nothing more changes from that. Like the example of chosing Envy or Sandy... Playing two branches that are almost equal to each other just to unlock another scene makes it quite annoying for me. But I get your point.

until now it was really a relative problem, with 2 runs you can see 90% of the content

now in the third season will no longer be so and will take at least 5 runs

I'm not a completist, but in the end it was never a burden to make a new run, also considering the long time that passes between chapters to review the story is quite nice

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Okay, the first part is highly speculative. I admit that.(y)

But the second part could fit from a basic structure.:rolleyes::unsure:

Would it be so unlikely that Isabella works in the S&R library? I don't think so, because the MC also works in the B&R library.:D

In the intro to EP8, we see Bella and James arguing, and if there's one thing we know about Isabella, it's that she can be a stubborn bitch. She loses her job at the S&R library and gets a new job at the B&R library. James, however, can't come along so easily because he has some sort of commitments (I'm guessing James is an archaeologist. Mask at Isabella's house). Isabella and James have a long distance relationship where they can't see each other every week. Isabella meets Jill and they become friends. The two become closer at a wine tasting. They have sex together, but are caught in flagrante delicto by James. Bella and James fight again, and James accuses Isabella of cheating on her. However, Isabella thinks that it is not cheating, since she is making out with a woman and James already had a threesome with Isabella and another woman before they got married (Isabella thinks that James would not mind if she dispelled her loneliness and sadness with another woman). James flies back to the place he came from, but the plane crashes. (Derek's scene in EP8 with the paper plane.) There were survivors rescued from the sea. (Read the paper) Since then, James has been considered missing. This gives DPC the option of having James live or be dead.

I should also explain what Isabella forgives James for. The two were at the beach one time. To me, it reads like Isabella and James were joyfully experimenting. Three-way sex outdoors, with James having an accident with the other woman. Of course, they were being watched. The peeping tom then became a stalker of Isabella. I think you know what I mean by stalker, and Isabella doesn't like it at all that she now has a stalker. The other woman has a child that Isabella doesn't know about. Who is the child?

It's Sage and her mother is the drug addict from EP6. Not the one from the intro, but the one Quinn passes when she gets drugs from Buddy. It gets even better. That's how Quinn and Sage get to know each other. During a police raid (read the paper), Sage and Quinn are arrested. It turns out that James is Sage's father, but he is considered missing. James' next of kin are informed. Stephen learns that his brother James has a child. Stephen can't leave his niece with a drug addict. Stephen and Jade adopt Sage to get her out of the drug milieu.
Dalli, do you hear voices telling you to do things? Bad things. Don't listen to the voices Dalli... :p

We are talking about a game design which divides the players between completionists for whom each scene counts, and roleplayers. For the last ones, the experience is about the ability to play a unique character and assume the twist of fate.

From a creator's point of view, this approach requires efforts, but allows for more scenes while keeping control of the script. The story wouldn't be as interesting if there weren't these trade-offs: our hero having sex with so many girls at the HOTs' last party was hard to believe for me. But how would players react if Dr PinkCake didn't offer options to match their preferences? I don't see any other way to enjoy such a large cast of female characters except to include them more strictly in branch or affinities.

The disadvantages you listed are many; we may have the feeling not to act as we wish for. As some choices have implications despite a trivial aspect, we are compeled to reload; I think in particular of the last scene with Sarah. Again, some players appreciate this feature as a replay value.

So this design corresponds above all to the creator's ambition to have a consistent narrative while meeting the demands for new scenes, but it confronts the very nature of the player to enjoy the game to the fullest. On a personal level, it motivated me to write a guide to deliver more transparency on the many opportunities.
The point is to enhance replayability, and to have actual impacts in gameplay based on (some) of our choices. The latter is something of a rarity in AVNs, it's one of the features which make this game standout from many others.

No one is forcing the player to do anything, some people just play a single save and don't worry about unlocking everything (or use mods to unlock things afterwards).

If you're a completionist however, grind comes with the territory. If you're doing separate runs for each main girl, then the branching side quests are a plus. You can uncover new side girl content on each run, so makes the replays more varied.

All these little details & variations are one of the things which make BaDIK more interesting from my perspective.

Good thing Ren'Py has fast-forward features though, otherwise all those replays would be an even greater test of endurance.
until now it was really a relative problem, with 2 runs you can see 90% of the content

now in the third season will no longer be so and will take at least 5 runs

I'm not a completist, but in the end it was never a burden to make a new run, also considering the long time that passes between chapters to review the story is quite nice
I find that I like to peek behind the curtain, to get a taste of what each decision may bring, and then make my decision and go down that path.

For example, when it came to the scene at the Pink Rose and I got to choose between Nicole, Lilly or Sandy, I saved my game, played all three scenes, went and grabbed a glass of scotch, had a think about it, and then, against everything I've been saying for over a year, I went back and chose Lily over Nicole.

Yes it was a tough decision. But I enjoyed making that decision. Right now I'm more intrigued with what will happen with Lily rather than whether the relationship with Nicole has anywhere else left to go.

All these little branches and with the different girls (stay with Derek and get to fuck Rose, or stay with Sage and have a borderline threesome with Mel and Sarah in the shower, and/or flirt more with Quinn), are what make this game the pleasure that it is.

I don't want there to be the "optimum" way of playing the game, where everyone knows exactly what to click on to get the best outcome. That means everyone's story will be exactly the same. Instead, who here has the exact same BaDIK story as anyone else?

Some will do the MILF run, others are keen on the strippers, there are the Jill purists, the whoremongers, the virgins (well almost if you don't count Zoey), the Sage worshipers, the nice guys, the assholes, the bros, the troublemakers, the dudes waiting for Maya to die so they can have Josy all for themselves, and so on.

Above all, more so than any other game I've played from here, this game is fun. DPC knows exactly what he is doing.

Garen

May 6, 2017

I think the intended experience here is to weigh your feelings, choose the girls you genuinely like more, finish the update, load in whatever mod unlocks the gallery, and check out the other scenes.

Now that it's been a few months since EP8 dropped, DPC has successfully Stockholm Syndrome'd me and I'm excited to see how the different paths branch out. I can only hope my save file survives this journey after having been assblasted by all the variables mod fuckery I've done to it so far.

raditanime

Jul 21, 2019
so, please help me. i played 0.7.2 ver before and when i want to play 0.8.2 ver, there is warning that says detected use of modified game data, and looks like the only option is to Exit. anyone have suggestions?

Redd23

Mar 11, 2018
We need extra emoji as a reaction for dalli's posts, some kind of polite facepalm, when you're thinking "it doesn't make any fucking sense", but somehow you can't stop smiling ;)

1643124338553.png

SamualHand

Engaged Member
May 4, 2018
And it was her Penis that was removed and put on the helmet for hell week? o_Oo_O

• Haha
Reactions: felicemastronzo

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
By the way, I do not rule out the moment that Lynette is alive and stalking to Tremolo. We don't know anything about the main character except that he has a big dick and he is poor. Sudden resurrection is one of the standard plot moves of soap operas that this game is. We haven't seen Lynette's grave, MC finds out about her mother from her diary (couldn't Neil himself tell about his girlfriend?), Lucas for some reason believes that MC is more like a mother than a father, and Neil himself is confused in his memories. But there are actually more hints that Neil is not the biological father than that Lynette is alive. I hope that the Interlude somehow filled the gap in the last MC.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes