aarbei23

Jan 14, 2018
[...]
Episode 11 development
[...]
I've been investigating a sweet spot for rendering speed and quality to make 60 fps animations viable with my current hardware, and I believe I have found it. Render speeds are looking good, and I will continue to monitor this process and tweak it throughout development.
Static renders aren't a priority early in development, so they aren't worth mentioning today.
Going forward, I plan to continue working on lewd scenes and posing animations to increase the render queue. I've started working on the 6th lewd scene of the episode, and it will be one of the bigger ones.
[...]
Wait, is the main reason why a release takes so long because he's rendering using his own hardware?! Isn't this dude making $1000s a week? Just render using AWS or Azure...

And maybe render less? Episode 10 contained a bunch of scenes that looked cool, but don't really justify the time it took to make them (intro of the Thanksgiving party, Quinn and the MC driving, all of the Madame content, etc.).

Vill3m

Jul 25, 2022
Aside from a handful of previously completed animations rendered at 30 fps for Brawler, I'll continue to render at 60 fps during this development cycle. I hope you enjoyed those animations in episode 10 as much as I did.
I don't know if it's my aging computer or the game being bloated and badly optimised but I didn't notice a single 60fps render across several routes. And Zoey's running looked as bizarre and pointless as the preps doing their duck walk in ep9. DPC better focus on fixing outfits around tits etc. than waste time on pointless animations. For a self-absorbedassured control freak perfectionist he sure does a lot of the same mistakes that plague many other VNs.

Reactions: depeche mode

jd8097619

Aug 27, 2019

Happy New Year!

I hope you've all been doing well over the holidays. I've had a great time with family and friends while intermittently working.
I've been looking forward to January as it's time to start the episode 11 development for real.
I've been dabbling with parts of it during the release month, but my focus has been managing the release, fixing bugs, writing the guide, etc. But it's time for the first Status update of Episode 11, so let's dig in and bring you guys up to speed.

Walkthrough
First, the official guide was updated this week, including the episode 10 walkthrough.
If you missed it, it's available .

Episode 11 development
I started the development by planning the episode with flowcharts and other tools. In this area, I'm working on putting the events I want in the episode in order and building the overall episode flow.
Because I want to stay as effective as possible and utilize my hardware to the max, immediately after planning most of the lewd events, I put planning on hold and started working on those events.
I've been writing lewd scenes and posing some static renders, but I've mostly been focusing on posing animations to get a good head start on the development.
I'm currently up to 85 posed animations, with 63 of those animations fully rendered - and yes, that's a lot this early on.
Aside from a handful of previously completed animations rendered at 30 fps for Brawler, I'll continue to render at 60 fps during this development cycle. I hope you enjoyed those animations in episode 10 as much as I did.
I've been investigating a sweet spot for rendering speed and quality to make 60 fps animations viable with my current hardware, and I believe I have found it. Render speeds are looking good, and I will continue to monitor this process and tweak it throughout development.
Static renders aren't a priority early in development, so they aren't worth mentioning today.
Going forward, I plan to continue working on lewd scenes and posing animations to increase the render queue. I've started working on the 6th lewd scene of the episode, and it will be one of the bigger ones.

Polls
I have decided and prepared upcoming polls for the episode. You can look forward to new cosmetic polls and special render polls.
The special render polls are extra interesting this time, as you will decide the order of the main girl sets for episodes 11 and 12 simultaneously.
You will also decide on another girl for the other girls' special render set - Zoey won this poll for episode 10.
As I need your votes to be able to work on some scenes, there will be cosmetic polls early on in the development. A cosmetic poll for Jill will be live tomorrow. Sign up as a +$10 patron to participate.

Q&A event
The annual Q&A post will be published next month, and the post where you can ask your questions about my game development and games will go live on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to sharing this new development cycle with you.
Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
Despite the pessimism and complaints about the 60fps animations (frankly I agree they were pretty much pointless in many regards) the fact they're doing all the setup for them now so they can just chug away in the background for the rest of the cycle and they're onto scene six already makes me optimistic still this could be 6-8 months this time.

Of course that's entirely reliant on DPC not deciding to invent yet another set of pointless minigames, but given they should just be recycling concepts now then hopefully they won't (but probably will, swear that fish one is only to burn off money given there's no use for it anywhere else in the game at this point)

Reactions: KaiserST

jd8097619

Aug 27, 2019
Wait, is the main reason why a release takes so long because he's rendering using his own hardware?! Isn't this dude making $1000s a week? Just render using AWS or Azure...

And maybe render less? Episode 10 contained a bunch of scenes that looked cool, but don't really justify the time it took to make them (intro of the Thanksgiving party, Quinn and the MC driving, all of the Madame content, etc.).
You really want them to change over to yet another pipeline they have to learn how to do? At this point I doubt it's the rendering itself that takes up time so much as the posing and prep (and can be left to its own devices as DPC did when they took a two week holiday).

always86

Mar 19, 2020

Happy New Year!

I hope you've all been doing well over the holidays. I've had a great time with family and friends while intermittently working.
I've been looking forward to January as it's time to start the episode 11 development for real.
I've been dabbling with parts of it during the release month, but my focus has been managing the release, fixing bugs, writing the guide, etc. But it's time for the first Status update of Episode 11, so let's dig in and bring you guys up to speed.

Walkthrough
First, the official guide was updated this week, including the episode 10 walkthrough.

Episode 11 development
I started the development by planning the episode with flowcharts and other tools. In this area, I'm working on putting the events I want in the episode in order and building the overall episode flow.
Because I want to stay as effective as possible and utilize my hardware to the max, immediately after planning most of the lewd events, I put planning on hold and started working on those events.
I've been writing lewd scenes and posing some static renders, but I've mostly been focusing on posing animations to get a good head start on the development.
I'm currently up to 85 posed animations, with 63 of those animations fully rendered - and yes, that's a lot this early on.

Polls
I have decided and prepared upcoming polls for the episode. You can look forward to new cosmetic polls and special render polls.
The special render polls are extra interesting this time, as you will decide the order of the main girl sets for episodes 11 and 12 simultaneously.
You will also decide on another girl for the other girls' special render set - Zoey won this poll for episode 10.
As I need your votes to be able to work on some scenes, there will be cosmetic polls early on in the development. A cosmetic poll for Jill will be live tomorrow. Sign up as a +$10 patron to participate.

Q&A event
The annual Q&A post will be published next month, and the post where you can ask your questions about my game development and games will go live on Sunday.

Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
Some quick numbers. My usual tracking treats week 1 as being the first week after release. If that were the case we would now be on week 4 and that would mean an average of 15.75 animations per week. However it is more likely he had some animations set to render after the previous episodes reached completion. This would mean essentially 8 weeks of rendering and an average of 7.9. I think it's more likely to be this figure. The previous episode with the combination of 60fps and 30fps as well as the incremental addition of the 4090's make it's number hard to judge, although he essentially averaged 7 a week if we don't count the beta testing period. These numbers will become clearer as the development proceeds.

1704479719190.png

This is almost exactly in line with episode 7, which still holds the record for most animations however, this was before he changed his counting method to count long form animations as 1.

IF the average is 7.9 and IF he keeps that average it would take him 40 weeks to hit 315 animations (a number inbetween 9 (303) and 10 (335). Week 40 is the 13th of September. However because the average presumes rendering started on 17th November 40 weeks would actually take us to August 16th (plus beta time).

So the question becomes how long does it take for him to write and programme the game. Well the September 29th update talked about him needing to do a bit of phone and bio content but otherwise have everything posed and ready to go. This was week 41. In other words September 20th could be content complete on the same time scales of episode 10. He did then spend 6 weeks waiting for rendering to complete before 4 weeks of beta testing.

In other words a September/ October release isn't out of the question, but that presumes everything goes just about as smoothly as possible and it's also possible he'll be content complete but still take 10 weeks to polish and beta test.

As for the survey.

1704481069026.png

Have to say nothing to shocking here (other that the footjob stuff being that low) Thought there were more feet guys out there. It's a pretty interesting given that there are a minimum of 4294 respondants. I'd have liked girl on guys rimjobs a bit higher but otherwise pretty happy with these results, they go with my preferences quite well.

aarbei23

Jan 14, 2018
You really want them to change over to yet another pipeline they have to learn how to do? At this point I doubt it's the rendering itself that takes up time so much as the posing and prep (and can be left to its own devices as DPC did when they took a two week holiday).
If it takes him a week to change his pipeline and in return he gains months... yes? But I do hope it's indeed the posing process itself that takes him so much time (and the minigames), at least that is somewhat understandable. Still, I think he probably could still save a month or two by outsourcing some of the coding and just focus himself on the artwork and story.

Dr.Slime

Nov 15, 2022
Nope, didn't notice at all. 60 fps is pointless unless there's rapid movement. Not much of that in BaDIK.
Bobjob at 10mph so i can see the good 60 fps

Ok guys I won't ask DPC if I can be the writer.
Just know you are now going to miss out on lots of romantic cummy kisses.
And awesome scenes of the girls shoving their panties that have lots of tasty vaginal juices on them in the mc's mouth.
Just imagine how romantic that would have been.
Ah yes, EP11 start by Joshy cumming sharing it with Maya & Josy yes that's what we strive for

Some quick numbers. My usual tracking treats week 1 as being the first week after release. If that were the case we would now be on week 4 and that would mean an average of 15.75 animations per week. However it is more likely he had some animations set to render after the previous episodes reached completion. This would mean essentially 8 weeks of rendering and an average of 7.9. I think it's more likely to be this figure. The previous episode with the combination of 60fps and 30fps as well as the incremental addition of the 4090's make it's number hard to judge, although he essentially averaged 7 a week if we don't count the beta testing period. These numbers will become clearer as the development proceeds.

View attachment 3235375

This is almost exactly in line with episode 7, which still holds the record for most animations however, this was before he changed his counting method to count long form animations as 1.

IF the average is 7.9 and IF he keeps that average it would take him 40 weeks to hit 315 animations (a number inbetween 9 (303) and 10 (335). Week 40 is the 13th of September. However because the average presumes rendering started on 17th November 40 weeks would actually take us to August 16th (plus beta time).

So the question becomes how long does it take for him to write and programme the game. Well the September 29th update talked about him needing to do a bit of phone and bio content but otherwise have everything posed and ready to go. This was week 41. In other words September 20th could be content complete on the same time scales of episode 10. He did then spend 6 weeks waiting for rendering to complete before 4 weeks of beta testing.

In other words a September/ October release isn't out of the question, but that presumes everything goes just about as smoothly as possible and it's also possible he'll be content complete but still take 10 weeks to polish and beta test.

As for the survey.

View attachment 3235457

Have to say nothing to shocking here (other that the footjob stuff being that low) Thought there were more feet guys out there. It's a pretty interesting given that there are a minimum of 4294 respondants. I'd have liked girl on guys rimjobs a bit higher but otherwise pretty happy with these results, they go with my preferences quite well.
I like your analysis , so like we all said it's gonna probably on Dec .

jd8097619

Aug 27, 2019
If it takes him a week to change his pipeline and in return he gains months... yes? But I do hope it's indeed the posing process itself that takes him so much time (and the minigames), at least that is somewhat understandable. Still, I think he probably could still save a month or two by outsourcing some of the coding and just focus himself on the artwork and story.
But that's the point, I really doubt on this project's scale it's a case of "I'm waiting for stuff to finish rendering, that's the delay". DPC has I think 3 or 4 machines at this point, some of which are render only. It's always been the other things that have seen the dev time go from a couple months to nearly a year.

Reactions: aarbei23

Ray_D

Engaged Member
Nov 13, 2022

Happy New Year!

Walkthrough

Episode 11 development

Polls

Q&A event

Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
sure, DPC sure, whatever you say man. you said the same thing about the development of the animations in chapter 10 and it was a lie. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

buggs

Apr 24, 2020
The good news is that DPC restrained himself enough to not say some total lie like "I'm aiming for a smaller episode than the last episode" in the first status update like he has for the past 3 episodes (spoiler: none were smaller than the last, each took significantly longer). Unless my eyes chose to skip over one of the sentences so as not to hurt my soul...

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Well, I wasn't so adamant. We don't know all of his development plans, but rendered 63 animations at 60fps is a pretty good run.
But yeah, the best we can expect is September.
Anyway it's good that he himself realizes that 60fps is a judgment call and found a way to reduce rendering time( probably he just reduced the number of samples or something like that).

Despite the pessimism and complaints about the 60fps animations (frankly I agree they were pretty much pointless in many regards) the fact they're doing all the setup for them now so they can just chug away in the background for the rest of the cycle and they're onto scene six already makes me optimistic still this could be 6-8 months this time.

Of course that's entirely reliant on DPC not deciding to invent yet another set of pointless minigames, but given they should just be recycling concepts now then hopefully they won't (but probably will, swear that fish one is only to burn off money given there's no use for it anywhere else in the game at this point)

I guess you still haven't realised that working on BaDIK is his job and his source of income.

Whatever happens, you will NOT see faster development cycles BECAUSE faster development = less money into his pockets.

DrPinkCake quit his previous job to fully work on BaDIK (as he told in 2023 Q&A). Guess what happened after he quit ? development cycle raised from 6 months to 10-12 months.

Last edited:

Sun of Rome

Dec 18, 2023
Is he really a doctor?
I don't know, in the US and UK a PhD is a degree awarded for writing a doctoral dissertation. Maybe he was a professional scientist in the past, judging by how detailed his science mini-games are. A person not familiar with science would not be able to make such games.
Many people think he is from Sweden, but I don't know if they award doctorates there like they do in the US and UK.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes