Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
But he IS paying, thats what everyone seems to confuse. You're a lawyer, Maya was 18 and signed co-ownership of her loan to her dad, now i critisized that many times, because thats not how it work. but from the College perspective, everything is dandy.
Actually, I am not a lawyer, my room mate from college was, I am an engineer. :D
However, yes you are correct that there is that nagging poor representation of how the funding for the college would go, but still, she is cut off, so she is going to need money, and she could go to the college to discuss at least the possibility of work around town or other places.

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Well, lets be fair, would you rather play a game that's mostly about the legal correctness of contracts, financial aid options for the educational system, unavailable LI's because they're working 24/7 to support themselves, but has good writing by those standards although there's really nothing happening....

Or do you want to play BaDik or whatever other game that has an interesting story?
I dunno, sometimes you should really just accept some parts of the story are not exactly 100% real life proof, in BaDik this mostly happens for story reasons, so i don't see any problems....
Oh I am not particularly hung up on the legal aspects here.

I do cringe when I read this story, and I am 100% playing the steam version, was a patron on Patreon briefly, and now playing here on a pirate site because of the tig bitties. DPC does art very well :D

Otherwise, most of my amusement on the thread comes from occasionally making comments on here and watching the fanboys rise to defend the holy father of BADIK.

I am not nearly as well behaved on this thread as I am on my more usual one(s).

Reactions: vogelbeest

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Josy is a dwarf :sneaky: (to some, petite to her fans of course) and she talks too much (I don't find it particularly annoying but Derek has developed his Jojo filter)

ISABELLA is cold and distant; Bella is passionate and caring, humorous and playful though :)
Bella is my soul/sole reason for being a BADIK fan!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Catlyn

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
DPC's terrible writing would not be a regular order if it wasn't true. Maya's illogical funding issues also would not keep coming up if they made any sense whatsoever. So while I enjoy the comic, it just does a great job of trolling DPC graphically for me!

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
What some people seem to keep forgetting is that the time passed within the story is currently quite short; and most of the characters haven’t known about Maya’s problems for very long.

The mc's only known Maya for about 2 months, since they've only just sat their midterms, and he's only known about her dad's black mail for about half that time.

Since he's known, the mc has also been dealing with heaps of other shit, and hardly spent much time considering Maya's predicament (a huge amount of his time has been dealing with his own issues, like repairing the mansion and fucking as many girls as he can :sneaky:).

Derek has known the longest, but he's not exactly reliable; he's definitely not someone we'd expect to be dispersing sound financial advice. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how long Josy's known about the blackmail for, but she's even complained that Maya isn't trying to solve her own problems. They've been fighting and bitching with each other half the time.

So even though we, the readers, have had ages to discuss the issue, the characters in the story have not.

To make matters worse, Maya had dreamed up her hairbrained scheme of joining the HOTs and having them pay for her tuition, so she put all her eggs into that basket, only to have it fall through. By then she'd pretty much wasted the first month of college without even considering other avenues for solving her situation.

Then after sulking and wasting more time, Maya is now relying on Sage trying to help her.

I wouldn't call this bad writing, I'd say it is Maya's fault for being dumb (she was deliberately written that way). She's been called out for it by Josy:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And the mc's had a go at her for constantly dramatizing it all:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
If anything, DPC has managed to characterise most of the prominent characters quite well. They have a few inconsistencies (proving they're not just computer programs... well actually... they are :p), but on a whole each character is defined well enough that we come to expect certain behaviour from them.

So it's not shitty writing that in the stretch of roughly a couple of months, a handful of characters, who have been dealing with numerous distractions, haven't come to the rescue and solved all of Maya's problems yet.

Personally I find it quit perplexing that anyone can work their way through this game, pay full attention to everything it has to offer, and turn around and suggest the game has shitty writing.

Of course the game isn't perfect, but the detail, foreshadowing, dialogue, and direction are so far above most of the competitors here, I wonder where these critics are getting their reference for what good AVN writing is. :unsure:
On the management of the characters I agree with you completely, they should simply be accepted with their imperfections, which ultimately define all of us, or do you think you are a list of merits?

sure when we get away from the characters, let's say the side plot, of stuff "not well written" there is different, but let's say it's side dish.
and the reference there is the simple and banal logic

Reactions: Leo17

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Well, lets be fair, would you rather play a game that's mostly about the legal correctness of contracts, financial aid options for the educational system, unavailable LI's because they're working 24/7 to support themselves, but has good writing by those standards although there's really nothing happening....

Or do you want to play BaDik or whatever other game that has an interesting story?
I dunno, sometimes you should really just accept some parts of the story are not exactly 100% real life proof, in BaDik this mostly happens for story reasons, so i don't see any problems....
just keep it at the edge of the narrative

no one wants to know how the wicked witch poisons the apple, but if you show me the recipe and the doses I have to ask myself some questions

Reactions: ename144 and Arigon

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
There simply needs to be a reason for Maya to pursue the free tuition, one that can't be solved in any simple way.
The point of Maya's blackmail is, it is tied to Maya ultimately being in a situation she has to choose to have sex with an old man in order to solve her problem. Maya's blackmail is tied to Burke's free tuition scheme and any end to either storyline is the end of the other, they will be solved in the story by the same events and Burke's exposure... Quinn may be redeemed or not, but even the restaurant is simply part of that storyline...

Could DPC have done it different? Yeah, he could have written a blackmail version where Quinn somehow gained photo's or a video of Maya having sex with somebody that's not MC or Josy.... In other words NTR... But even that would have had some additional weak points being discussed in extreme, besides ofcourse the usual NTR bash yo mama anti or pro bull shite...

Without Maya wanting that tuition there is no reason to even have the restaurant storyline other then for some lewds for a Dik affinity player and there's no point for the Burke sex for tuition storyline other then some restaurant girls being happy with the deal and a reason for Mona to leave. These storylines only are relevant for the threat they represent for Maya to get tuition.

Reactions: lipe2410

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
no one wants to know how the wicked witch poisons the apple, but if you show me the recipe and the doses I have to ask myself some questions
I see all this talk here about inheritances whether coming from a Burgmeister or not, perhaps gave you some wrong idea's....
Seriously, do not start feeding people poisoned apples! If you're entitled to any inheritance simply being patient is enough! ;)

applez.gif

• Haha
Reactions: felicemastronzo

sixart

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 2, 2021
DavDR: I'm a dedicated Sage fan...
Arigon: Bella is my soul/sole reason...

Me:
View attachment 1741266

Carol in my mind, Bella in my heart :BootyTime:

Maya be filled with gratitude, knowing you guys here are deeply concerned and have been discussing, month after month, her tuition problem. :giggle:
Please don't throw me onto that pile of #&@$ who waste their time on this :KEK: As long as I'm not abducted by aliens and get experimented on... there won't be such an occasion where I care for such meaningless things ;)

" Carol in my mind, Bella in my heart :BootyTime: " Still... like a true champ of SIMP where the cherry on top comes across via Baracks Simping :KEK:

Reactions: Catlyn

godkingxerxes

Sep 27, 2020
shazba TimHawk and others defending DPC's "writing".

DPC's writing is not good. I am giving you that straight up. He gives it to you straight up that his writing is his weak point in interviews with him. He can not follow logic/tell his tale to save his life. His story AL was terrible except for the wingman, and his story here is laughable except for the wingman. His MC's are particularly unlikable, and yes, his writing of Maya and her situation is completely stupid. This is supposed to be an American college. In all American colleges that are not rip off's like say tRump university, there are ways for students to get financial assistance if they are in need. Maya's "bank" problem is a money problem. The college financial folks can assist her in finding alternate means of funding her education with, or without her father.

DPC is a master at his renders, animations, and picking music that fits his art. He pretty well sucks at writing a coherent story.
Peace
He said he isn't good at writing lewd scenes, not writing in general.

When you open your post with bullshit, the rest becomes irrelevant.

I do agree the drama behind Maya is poorly written from a logical side, because the loan the way she describes it, can't happen.

But... look at her fans, look at how many people feel sorry for her, how many want to help her and save her, that is who she is written for, the target audience Pinkcakes was aiming for with Maya are white knights, I think he's successfully hit that mark.

If you write a character to appeal to certain people and those people like the character, that's good writing is it not?

znar25

Apr 25, 2021
The rest of the novel may resolve well if you pick Bella and just a lot of click through for a predictable, happy ending. But as one of the many paths, I think it is worth it. And, Bella is worth it. I would think of that fan art with MC, Bella and their daughter on the beach. One of many possible happy endings. I have multiple saves of multiple paths of the novel, so, I am OK with that....

Belldin1.JPG
belldin2.JPG
Belldin3.JPG
Belldin4.JPG

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Look, you can keep defending DPC, but the crux of the matter is that 4 people (MC Maya Josy Sage), some of who (Sage) is proclaimed to be smart by someone who looks smart (Bella), have spent considerable amount of time trying to solve a problem, and no one even suggested that Maya go talk to the school financial office to understand her situation, before going to Sage's parents and asking them to cough up tens of thousands of dollars.

They don't need to solve the problem for her in that time frame. But if no one suggests during the entire month (per your timeframe above) that she should do the painfully obvious thing that can help, that's shitty writing.

On my "bad writing" critique, that really comes from two angles - one is that if the writing of the work is okay to good elsewhere, then the shitty part becomes obvious. I assume you can tell the potato is overcooked even if the steak is done right. Second, there are many, many, many AVNs that have great writing. Many of them are translated from Japanese - Ever 17, Baldr Sky, etc. (Japan has had an active AVN industry for 40 years) but even some on this site is pretty good, like Good Girl Gone Bad. That game is quite lacking in the graphic department, but the writing/branching/mechanics/player freedom is very advanced.
The crux of the matter is no one has spent any time trying to do anything related to Maya's predicament other than get Maya into the HOTs.

That was Maya's plan. She didn't ask for anyone to help her in regards to her loan issue until the HOTs free tuition evaporated.

That was right at the end of episode 6. That was a year ago for us. Not that long ago for the Scooby Gang.

As soon as she mentioned it to Sage, Sage figured her parents could help out. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they will just outright pay for Maya's tuition, because no one in the game has suggested that. But Burke is high up in the college administration, so maybe he can help, some how.

Given how Sage is loath to ask her parents for any help, she could have tried other avenues to assist Maya, but she figured her parents were the best option.

That's definitely not a stretch of the imagination that a young adult might speak with their parents before they start running around making appointments with legal aide.

My month time frame was for the mc alone, and you may have noticed, he's been serious fucking preoccupied, as I already outlined. Sage just found out about it, Derek is an idiot, and we don't know about Josy.

Personally I think it's comprehension that's the issue here, not the writing...

shazba TimHawk and others defending DPC's "writing".
DPC's writing is not good. I am giving you that straight up. He gives it to you straight up that his writing is his weak point in interviews with him. He can not follow logic/tell his tale to save his life. His story AL was terrible except for the wingman, and his story here is laughable except for the wingman. His MC's are particularly unlikable, and yes, his writing of Maya and her situation is completely stupid. This is supposed to be an American college. In all American colleges that are not rip off's like say tRump university, there are ways for students to get financial assistance if they are in need. Maya's "bank" problem is a money problem. The college financial folks can assist her in finding alternate means of funding her education with, or without her father.

DPC is a master at his renders, animations, and picking music that fits his art. He pretty well sucks at writing a coherent story.
Peace
Those who don't like DPC's writing always say that DPC said it's his weak point. That's a really bad take from what he said:

Do you feel limited when writing due to your choice of using only monologue and dialog to describe what's happening? For action, you rely completely on the visuals, which becomes especially apparent during sex scenes. Wouldn't you sometimes like to use more detailed text or rich descriptions to go deeper into the scene?
No, I don’t feel limited by that choice of writing style, but, yes, I do miss out on painting the scene further than visuals go. When writing a book, detailed text and rich descriptions are necessary, and I felt that the game being a visual novel, didn’t need that narrative. It removes some of the immersion when a narrator describes a scene's details versus the character saying, thinking, or expressing it through body language.
My chosen writing method plays to my strengths, as I see writing as my biggest weakness. Even though I constantly try to improve my writing, I think I lack the skill set needed to write a novel in the way you're describing.

He's not saying he can't write a story plot. He even said his chosen method of writing plays to his strengths, i.e. character dialogue with visuals. The writing that he admits he's not good at is the descriptive style story telling (which he avoids altogether).

This has nothing to do with creating an actual storyline which he does really well purely dialogue. When it comes to a visual novel, I really like this dialogue only approach, I can't stand the visual novels that try to describe the sex scenes, they are truly cringeworthy.

Once again, this issue is comprehension, not writing.

She does if her daddy isn't paying.
She needs funding for college. Whether it is spending money or dorm/tuition money, the girl needs money. At a minimum the college will have resources to assist students in finding jobs. Whether those are workstudy type jobs does require financial aid evaluations being performed. If her father is being a douche, this won't qualify her for much of course, but they would still help her find a non hoe job.
Her issue is her dad has threatened to withhold her funds. It's a threat, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a bluff. She'd be paid up for the first semester already most likely.

Just like how Jill simply stood up to Tybalt and his bluff turned to shit, I believe Maya will eventually do the same thing.

Actually, I am not a lawyer, my room mate from college was, I am an engineer. :D
However, yes you are correct that there is that nagging poor representation of how the funding for the college would go, but still, she is cut off, so she is going to need money, and she could go to the college to discuss at least the possibility of work around town or other places.
The poor representation is from Maya's mouth. There is nothing to corroborate what her father has told her. Probably because it's bullshit. He's bluffing/threatening her to force her to do something. She's just too inexperienced to realise what he's told her is horseshit.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes