ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

I want to start this update by thanking everyone for your comments, DMs, and overall support this last week. It means a lot to me, and I can see how many of you care as much as I do about the game, and it is heartwarming. It truly felt like the entire community came together, mourned the changes, and supported the game. Thank you!

I started this week by finishing the main menu's artwork. 20 new art pieces for Season 3 have been added to the main menu, and as promised, I'd like to show you a teaser of it today.

While working on the main menu, I couldn't stop thinking about the title music and the future of the main menu. One thing that has been in the back of my mind for quite some time now is the Music section of the main menu. You know, that button that says Music at the bottom that you probably pressed once and then never used again.

I've never been truly happy with how it looks or functions. Its purpose has more or less been to show and give credit to the CC0 music in the game.

I've wanted to add a proper music player to the main menu for a while, so I spent a day developing one from scratch, and I'd love to show you some of what you can expect from it today.

You no longer have to load a free roam event to listen to the music. You can now access and play the entire music library, barring a few sound files, from the main menu. It is synchronized with your favorite list on the music app of your in-game phone too, and you can manage your favorites from this menu.

To not remove the original functionality of this menu, I've kept a CC0 section with credits and a link to the license.

So, what does the title music have to do with this? Well, from now on, you can set any song of your choice as the startup song for the game. Listen to any song in this music menu and click a button to set the song as the startup/main menu song.

I feel this is the best way to do this since we're at a status quo with the title song, and everyone has a better idea of the replacement title song than the one before them. There will still be a default title song playing from the start, and I won't stop looking for a replacement, but if you wish, you can change it.

While listening to your music, you can also hide the music menu and watch the main menu art without any GUI. I have also added a tips section to the music menu, where you can browse through some of the many useful tips you might have missed.

I hope you will come to like this idea as much as I do.

These changes will come into effect with Season 3, for starters. There are some additional difficulties to deal with if I want this added to Season 1/2, but I haven't ruled out adding this to that main menu.

Aside from this work, I posed Jill's special render set this week. She will get a set consisting of 20 static renders, just like Josy will, for this episode. The theme I've chosen for her set this time is "Surprise gift". I'll show you a preview of this series soon.

I've added code for the special renders in the Rewards app and started placing magazines in the game as unlockables. There is still some work left in this area, but it's just a matter of deciding how to unlock the special renders and testing that it works. Everything else in this area is done, including 2D art, 2D animations, and Pack Quest renders.

Two of my workstations have been rendering that long cutscene-like animation I mentioned a couple of weeks back, and it's about 50% done. I'm very pleased with the rendering speed of this animation; it's been better than I could have hoped. My other PCs have been working on static renders and other animations.

I also continued my work on both writing, posing animations, and static renders this week. I've been feeling very motivated lately, and this only gets reinforced by seeing the to-do list get shorter.

Another week of static render work is coming up. I'll have some updated numbers on the progress for you next week.

Have a nice weekend
Love ya
Dr PinkCake
Still no numbers, so it's anyone's guess what being halfway done with the ginormous cutscene means in terms of schedule. We'll just have to wait until DPC is in a generous mood.

As for the revamped music menu, I'm not quite sure what DPC is talking about. We've been able to change the music from the main menu since at least Episode 4. Maybe he's adding the ability to the in-game menu rather than just the title screen? That seems largely redundant with the existing Music app for the MC's phone, but I guess it could be nice when the MC has no phone or when the app was locked. But I rather doubt DPC will let us override the sound in specific scenes, so it sure sounds to me like the new music menu is unnecessary busywork. I guess we'll find out how it works... eventually.

As for the new title screen, it certainly raises some questions (assuming this is based on an event that will happen in Season 3). Will this event happen regardless of if Rusty sold his car? As always, nothing for it but to wait it out.

It would be nice to get something we can sink our teeth into right now. :(

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Accepting Quinn's restaurant number is risky in Sage path? Never knew that. Did i really missed that reference?
felicemastronzo how so? Can you give me a pointer? Really can't remember anything related to the restaurant allthough i played my Sagepath allmost a year ago ;)
sorry I was not clear.

for now, it is not yet an issue whether or not MC is a customer of the restaurant, but I'm pretty sure it will be soon. barring shocking revelations, Sage will not be able to take it well that Mc knew what Quinn was doing and even took advantage of it

Naxer

Feb 6, 2020
After this status update, I have to say, I'm really pesimistic about having the update anytime soon. It's obvious that september was out of the picture weeks ago, but now, I think that october it's also impossible. So, yeah. Maybe in november, If we are lucky enough.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
As for the revamped music menu, I'm not quite sure what DPC is talking about. We've been able to change the music from the main menu since at least Episode 4. Maybe he's adding the ability to the in-game menu rather than just the title screen? That seems largely redundant with the existing Music app for the MC's phone, but I guess it could be nice when the MC has no phone or when the app was locked. But I rather doubt DPC will let us override the sound in specific scenes, so it sure sounds to me like the new music menu is unnecessary busywork. I guess we'll find out how it works... eventually.
I don't have audio turned on so never look at the music interface, but my understanding is:

DPC is talking about changing the functionality of the MUSIC button on the Season 3 main/load screen.
main_menu.jpg

It currently just lists the music tracks & lets you access the associate license. It doesn't play the tracks from this screen.
music_screen.jpg

The new music screen will let users play the music tracklist from here without loading a save. I don't see any options to play or change the music elsewhere on the existing main menu (other than changing the volume).

As to changing the music, as far as I can tell he's specifically talking about the user being able to change the title track (the song which plays if you boot the game to the main menu but don't load a save - formerly Punk Rock Flu). There's no option to do this in the current versions as far as I can tell?

But I'd agree this is all redundant from my perspective, because I don't care about the BaDIK music at all.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I don't have audio turned on so never look at the music interface, but my understanding is:

DPC is talking about changing the functionality of the MUSIC button on the Season 3 main/load screen.
View attachment 2007138

It currently just lists the music tracks & lets you access the associate license. It doesn't play the tracks from this screen.
View attachment 2007141

The new music screen will let users play the music tracklist from here without loading a save. I don't see any options to play or change the music elsewhere on the existing main menu (other than changing the volume).

As to changing the music, as far as I can tell he's specifically talking about the user being able to change the title track (the song which plays if you boot the game to the main menu but don't load a save - formerly Punk Rock Flu). There's no option to do this in the current versions as far as I can tell?

But I'd agree this is all redundant from my perspective, because I don't care about the BaDIK music at all.
I do care about the music, but the Music menu absolutely lets you play the songs from it: just click the song title in the list.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It's worked that way at least through Episode 4 (that's when I started playing, so I don't have any older versions), and it still works in the Interlude. That's why I don't understand DPC's explanation. He must know how his own code works, especially if he's replacing it, right?

As for the ability to change the title track... it's a well-meaning feature, but a) I'd hate to spend a lot of DPC's time on it, and b) I think the game will lose something letting us pick and choose rather than having a single, iconic track. Sure, no single track will ever match everyone's taste, but it dilutes the brand a bit if we each associate BaDIK with a different piece of music. IMHO, obviously.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
I do care about the music, but the Music menu absolutely lets you play the songs from it: just click the song title in the list.
It's worked that way at least through Episode 4 (that's when I started playing, so I don't have any older versions), and it still works in the Interlude. That's why I don't understand DPC's explanation. He must know how his own code works, especially if he's replacing it, right?

As for the ability to change the title track... it's a well-meaning feature, but a) I'd hate to spend a lot of DPC's time on it, and b) I think the game will lose something letting us pick and choose rather than having a single, iconic track. Sure, no single track will ever match everyone's taste, but it dilutes the brand a bit if we each associate BaDIK with a different piece of music. IMHO, obviously.
I think I understand that the idea is that you choose the song that will play when you open BaDIK.
Now you can play the song you want, go back to the main menu and that song will continue playing, but, once you close the game and open it again, "Punk rock flu" will start playing again.

ChipLecsap

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 4, 2019

I do agree on that it's a waste of time, but not because it's takes away anything, it's more like useless feature, because nobody gives fuck about it. :LOL: You don't sit there and staring the main menu, for hours. Yeah, sure you may, or may not, watch all the new render like one time, and that's about it, everyone clicks at the load or import, or new game, and be done wiht it.
I can only speak for myself, I know I won't mess with it, I like the new song, more than enough, may be only during the recaps ( previously on Badik ) will feel a bit weird at first, but thats it. But, it's DPC we talking about, if he wants something, he gonna do it. +1 Day, thats all. :LOL:

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Yeah, that's my bad - once I turned on the music that's obviously the case.

I guess the difference is the current screen seems to just play the selected song on a loop, while the new screen will do play lists etc. more like the phone music app?

Either way, a waste of time for me, but more options is a bonus for those that care about the music I suppose.

Reactions: ename144

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
I do agree on that it's a waste of time, but not because it's takes away anything, it's more like useless feature, because nobody gives fuck about it. :LOL: You don't sit there and staring the main menu, for hours.
Having a jukebox in main menu that let's you play all/preferred available game music is pretty standard feature for professionally made VNs. Just like the gallery for unlocked CGs/scenes etc. You may not give a fuck about it, but that's by no means an universal attitude.

Reactions: UntitledParadox

ChipLecsap

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 4, 2019
Having a jukebox in main menu that let's you play all/preferred available game music is pretty standard feature for professionally made VNs. Just like the gallery for unlocked CGs/scenes etc. You may not give a fuck about it, but that's by no means an universal attitude.
No, I'm pretty sure that is the universal attitude:LOL:. and no, it's not just like a gallery unlocker either, the two is vastly different;).
but it doesn't worth to go "toe to toe" with it:LOL:

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
On the topic of the music, you have to see it from DPC's perspective.

The Friday Prophet's music is iconic to this game. When I open the game and "Punk Rock Flu" starts blaring, it's immediate nostalgia from when I first started playing this game. It's an instant rush and I haven't even pressed "Continue" yet. :giggle:

Having to remove their music from the game, the title music specifically, but also the rest, was quite a blow to DPC. We all know he doesn't just grab a random batch of music and arbitrarily play it during the game, each song has been chosen specifically for each scene, and he's nailed it so many times. :cool:

Choosing a replacement for the title song was a significant choice. Allowing people to change the default song was a good move since everyone has their own preference as to what the game means to them. Personally I'd go with "Summertime - My Heart" (To me it's the unofficial DIK theme, you hear it the first time when the mc meets the DIKs, and then again at the end of Hell Week):

But anyway, that kinda shit take take the wind out of your sails, so DPC spent a day doing something to turn it around. Some personal therapy to turn lemons into lemonade. He could have spent the day kicking the cat, but the cat had fucking nothing to do with this predicament, so that wouldn't have been nice. :cry:

In the end, music player is just another feature (whether people use it or not) that raises this game well above par. (y)

MagicFox

Jun 13, 2017
just a question. Being a DIK is more fun or keep myself gentle is fun? I mean which one the developer is good at from creator perspective.

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017
So did Quinn steal Rusty car? or is he apart of it? I think Quinn is going to be ratted out and a drug deal is going to go badly but Quinn is going to save her bitch ass by informing on the others as some kind of plea deal
Something else occurred to me yesterday. What if Quinn is the bad bitch. I could imagine so Quinn might want to get rid of Rusty or Tommy. She hides the coke in Rusty's car and makes an anonymous call to the police. A car chase ensues. An arrest and/or accident occurs.

In EP4 flashback of Tommy and Quinn, Tommy said yes so he wants to make the patsy. However, the relationship between Quinn and Tommy has deteriorated a lot so Quinn can't be sure anymore so Tommy takes the scapegoat role.

But one thing is for sure I think. It is getting more exciting and DPC is getting serious as Sasanid wrote.

Reactions: Darkwen
4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes