RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
I agree with Squark, there has been a lot of evidence in the past and even today that he's more on the "Doesnt care" side, deliberately forcing people to deal with that grind and having to start all over again from scratch every few minor updates. Honestly the only time in which things got sort of justifiable on a save wipe aspect was when they changed a few big core aspects of the game like there were:
- The renaming of the base game process from Radiant to OBF.
- Totally changing the capturing of nephs system and introduction of trait levels and world level as well.

But even then I would still argue that you could work around that issue by bringing something to be able to at least import some non recreatable features like the nephs you have captured or breeded.... With the blending colors system it's almost impossible to get the same neph twice even if you pair two of the same type in the same way under similar conditions, suposing you're lucky enough to capture two of the same type. Tho I guess in the end, the dev is the way he is; Has a lot of biases towards many things but is so unwilling to have their fanbase to enjoy for real his already funneled game unless he's threatened. Remember back then when the "imma lazy sack" cheat was always confirmed with a "Your mother would be so proud"? Like mocking you for not being willing to put up with the stupid grind he came up with and never giving a single fuck about their fans feels about it until enough of them started to go publically against him forcing him to change that to a dummy "success" or else.

Seriously I can understand games every big ass updates requiring some kind of restart of the game progress with a fresh new save but even then the devs try to make the saves to be able to be imported or converted somehow cause people spend hours sometimes of progress to having to start from the very begining again, those cases are rare but in this game is all, the, fukin, time. And if we were talking about a game you could speedrun it would be fine but no, is a game that you're forced to cheat to get to the endgame content without weeks of gameplay, but if you cheat you either skip the game's meat as a whole and also get sort of mocked by it or have to memorize the hell out of how to find the constrictedly optimal way of playing like if this is Dark Souls IV Breeders of the Nephelym (Which btw is one of the few actual games the dev plays, just saying).

I have been playing this game for too long but I was hoping that finally with the change from Radiant to OBF the save wipes would stop but they didnt, and the change that happened to the game from .7 to .8 WAS NOT ENOUGH AT ALL TO JUSTIFY A SAFE WIPE. He added and removed dick physics in the past without a safe wipe, he did bugfixes in the past without a safe wipe, he totally retweaked things on the preset systems without requiring a safe wipe and most importantly. And the worst of all, he's still doing it in a way that for some illogical fuckupness the new saves on new game versions DO LOAD in previous games, but not the opposite which to me it only makes any sense at all if the dev deliberately made things that way on porpouse.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
Anyway ironically enough this has brought me back to Skyrim and the pregnancy mods that it has available which in some aspects are much more useful than the default BotN. Sure, you dont get the offspring generation system this game offers you but Ill argue that even that is workaroundable in some ways and potentially better than how it is by default on BotN. As much as I initially praised sometimes this game's offspring generation system, in some key aspects it lacks some logical elements. For example. Your character lack scales, your mate's neph also lack scales, yet your offspring ends up being born with them. Even if you lack a preset that has those, the game can still select it. I dont mind having a fat one from two thin parents or having a purple haired daughter from a redhead and bluehaired set of parents and some combinations that doesnt make much sense when combined together.

Reactions: jsmith27x

technomage

Sep 19, 2018
Has anyone tried just upping the version in the save file on saveditonline to see if it works? Worst case, game crashes, which is really no different than a save wipe anyways.
I'll reiterate, you do not have to do save wipes. I took a version that was 5 behind the current one, changed the version value to 100, which is what the new version is in the save file, and loaded the game successfully.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Aug 22, 2021
I'll reiterate, you do not have to do save wipes. I took a version that was 5 behind the current one, changed the version value to 100, which is what the new version is in the save file, and loaded the game successfully.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That is extremely helpful to know, thank you!

Doesn't address the base problem that this should be possible in-game, but an (even inconsistent) workaround is definitely helpful.

technomage

Sep 19, 2018
That is extremely helpful to know, thank you!

Doesn't address the base problem that this should be possible in-game, but an (even inconsistent) workaround is definitely helpful.
I agree about the base problem AND the fact that just changing the version number in the save file works, means the whole point of the save wipe is more of a personal thing to him than a real reason.

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
To explain the versioning AFAIK its due to compatibility.
Having issues with and reporting a bugs with an old save is absolutely useless due to even the engine version updating. Its easier to mark each iteration/version on each save and not allow forward compatibility than it is to figure out bugs related to old save files.... thinking about it the versioning might even be a base engine thing :unsure:

technomage

Sep 19, 2018
To explain the versioning AFAIK its due to compatibility.
Having issues with and reporting a bugs with an old save is absolutely useless due to even the engine version updating. Its easier to mark each iteration/version on each save and not allow forward compatibility than it is to figure out bugs related to old save files.... thinking about it the versioning might even be a base engine thing :unsure:
I agree with you on general principles as previously mentioned for large updates especially when the engine gets updated. These small updates that he's put out recently do not fit that mold. The penis physics was just a couple of extra variables added to the save file. Almost every programmer will have variables set up with a null check, that if a null is found a default value is used. Loading up a save from 5 versions ago with the version variable updated in the save file sort of proved that these null checks are in place and thus a save wipe is not necessary. Granted, I didn't test this past loading the modified save and making sure everything was running, but no full crashes and my roaming vagrants were harassing me as soon as I loaded it up. Also, from a QA perspective, first step with any bug is to verify the bug also happens on a clean save/install.

Case in point: I've modified my save (current version save, not the older save I modified to show proof of concept) and have been hit with a bug that if I requested wild sex(pussy) I would get softlocked and have to alt-f4 out the game. I have a feeling that it was due my modifications, so I won't report that as a bug. Now if i started over, with an unmodified save, and it happened, then i could report it in good faith because now it's a bug.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
Like i mentioned in my original post, it may not work. It may crash. If it does, then you really are no worse than deleting the save anyways, so no harm, no foul.
Im gonna make a couple of tries, first with a versiom that loaded on .7 and if that works go aa crazy as try something similar in a Radiant save. Gosh if that works Ill be so happy. There's a big save file I have to import from there cause there's now way Ill redo all that again in .8 XD

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
Case in point: I've modified my save (current version save, not the older save I modified to show proof of concept) and have been hit with a bug that if I requested wild sex(pussy) I would get softlocked and have to alt-f4 out the game. I have a feeling that it was due my modifications, so I won't report that as a bug. Now if i started over, with an unmodified save, and it happened, then i could report it in good faith because now it's a bug.
The average persons not gonna have the initiative to do that tho. 90% of people who will follow your guide and update their save will continue to complain about bugs completely ignoring that they circumvented the save system.
Props to you for doing it, but i expect a more negative effect from it than anything.

If i remember rightly the "early" builds aren't actually meant to be fully played. They are effectively "stepping stones" between update and likely add more bug than not. More or less supposed to be a "demo".

I learned really early in development, while doing testing builds for Derelict, how to """speedrun""" the early game due to there not even being a fucking save system, so i have no sympathy for any of you. Hahaha.
Jokes aside its a system in place for a reason, break it all you want but expect no stability or help.

Reactions: technomage

Timon7u7

Oct 4, 2021
I wonder when will be updated to 0.756.6?? maybe .8?? i really want to follow the project, but i don't have money atm to spend D:

Reactions: abdict123

Draupnir7

Sep 3, 2020
I wonder when will be updated to 0.756.6?? maybe .8?? i really want to follow the project, but i don't have money atm to spend D:
Follow it, it's not like Dere or F95 make it hard. But I'd wait an update or three before playing, depending on the last version you nabbed. The last few have been going Dutch with Lovense support and an attempt at porting to UE5.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
The average persons not gonna have the initiative to do that tho. 90% of people who will follow your guide and update their save will continue to complain about bugs completely ignoring that they circumvented the save system.
Props to you for doing it, but i expect a more negative effect from it than anything.

If i remember rightly the "early" builds aren't actually meant to be fully played. They are effectively "stepping stones" between update and likely add more bug than not. More or less supposed to be a "demo".

I learned really early in development, while doing testing builds for Derelict, how to """speedrun""" the early game due to there not even being a fucking save system, so i have no sympathy for any of you. Hahaha.
Jokes aside its a system in place for a reason, break it all you want but expect no stability or help.
I dont think it would be for this tho. I made a fresh new save on .8 before even knowing altering the save file version was possible and on a legit save doing a legit gameplay I still got some random crashes. The game still presents odd instabilities with the BASE game having legitly made UNMODDED saves.

And even if they complained about the bugs induced by that process you need to remember that players are forced to deal with workarounds by the refusal of the dev to make saves compatible among versions for purely personal reasons instead of indicating that saves would likely began to malfunction. But I guess is an easier to deal situation if you lock the saves if you are a person who wants to hear 0 complains about your flawed work and seen how he and specially his comunity tends to be in terms of toxicity towards new ideas that dont follow his mindsetup and the hostility in which some of those are taken from their side it doesnt surprise me.

Btw the early builds not meant to be played? Bruh the early builds I tried were among the most stable ones I remember this game ever having. Lots of issues were introduced afterwards by addint the limitating factor that were added later. And Im talking waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, up to the point where the game didnt even had a day/night cycle. And yeah I also played some of the versions from when the game used collars to catch the nephs.

The issue remains tho, BotN is a game where even if you wanna "speedrun" you're gonna miss a lot of key important gameplay aspects that cannot be brought on another gameplay for the very nature of it. The closest I can think of is making a gameplay in a specific seed of Minecraft where you know that if you go here youll get exactly "this". In BotN the moment you began breeding nephs everyone would be unique and pretty much unrecreatable. Imagine spending hours to create the perfect looking Jabberwock just to have it wasted on the next version. Yeah you could do the Minecraft thingy of playing more than 1 game version but that is already annoying in Minecraft keeping 2-3 versions, imagine if you have to do the same but with 14 game versions or so where your best bet to keep less versions of the games is downgrading the saves to an older game version that is cannot be modded.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
saveeditonline. Depending on how big your save file is, it might take a while to load it up, but the version is the first line in the file.
Oh.... My fuck! I LOVE YOUUUU!!

I know I may have some future issues because of this but at least being able to play old save files on the latest game versions and feel that all the hours grinding on the formers weren't wasted feels like a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge deal and improvement for me.

Obviously all the new saves I do would be on the latest game versions but damn, my biggest issue ever before with BotN was always the save wipes. I didnt mind having to start all over again new saves in games in terms of having a smooth gameplay or even roleplay itself but at least being able to access the old ones even if its just to toy around the things I have in those always felt key important to me and now that's possible in BotN! Oh my gosh this is amazing! X3

Specially with the massive grind this game has ever increasingly and some of the things I mentioned that just ends up being unique to each gameplay it felt like the only way to effectively keep them up. Even on modded Minecraft porting saves was somewhat possible, having something similar in BotN just felt like it was a must.

I still hate the dev's decision making ways and some of the forced mecanics he added but hey at least now I know that if I finally have managed to get the fabolousest Jabberwock I could think of, that I wont have to either cheat and spending some hours or basically do a regular gameplay and staying weeks to achieve something similar (Not the same) just to have to redo all that a few updates later.

In any case, thanks a lot, that made my day! :giggle:

Reactions: technomage

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
If hes attempting physics again, either unreal updated the physics or hes implemented something himself for it.
Makes me wonder why tho, not like Unreals gonna get softbody physics any time soon... unless...
More info on this, seems another unreal game has been showing off some fancy physics in unreal recently, meaning potentially the physics in the engine has finally been improved OR some good add-ons released. Either way heres hoping for more better physics in the future.

3.90 star(s) 109 Votes