Drages

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2018
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but could you please give me a link to the previous version? It's much better than the current one.
You are right. As I made the systems of that build, I play tested too. With the new UI update, he changed some stuff and I am sure that he is not someone who can properly test and see systematical-math formulas so probably there is more broken things then we can see.

I find the new UI, not practical and annoying mostly. I don't see a better future for the game from now on, even for years. It will just milk.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
I wish people in this chat stopped comparing the difficulty in this game with that of Dark Souls

Dark Souls difficulty is based on player knowledge and skill; Breeders of the Nephelym difficulty is just grinding.
BotN is developed by a dev that is barely a gamer and the only games that he's known to have played are precisely the Dark Souls ones.

And BOTH happen to deal with frustrating "do and repeat until you suceed" playloops that get annoying until you get to that point. You could also say that knowledge in BotN shortens the grind time MASSIVELY, as well as the skill to optimize the freakton of things that can end up happening at once so you can get each ingame day to be squeezed out of every profit that you can make out of it to minimize.

I know that in terms of style they're VERY different but you cant deny that both can potentially be just as tedious/frustrating to play as the other, specially when like I said, one is developed by a diehard fan of the other. And if my experience testing indie games have showed me is that devs with that kind of likeness tend to add some element of frustration into their game's playloop, such as:

- One fatal day totally overhauling the enemies to have abilities that make the combat 40 times more annoying to deal with than before cause some can regenerate faster than Volverine or snipe you with a handgun across the screen, and if you get knocked out you get fucked (Could be a nice thing to have as an outcome but if you add its bondage options is straight up frustrating as hell).

- Have an overcomplicated turn based combat and character atributes check that feels like trying to beat Pokemon's League with a Magikarp, in which if you fail to succeed at those your character literally gets assraped.

- BotN with its endless grind and the dev's active refusal to add QoL features like something as basic as being able to have saves compatibility, specially on a game that can take hours or days to pass from having one area locked to having it available.

- A visual novel that takes a century to get into ANY sex interaction at all with a harem-ish story that doesnt properly showcase you that unless you go the "lest fuck everyone" youll advance at a quarter of speed, however the whole dialogues pushes you to believe otherwise.

And so on and on. Meanwhile the devs that tend to like more simplistic games with less overcomplicated mecanics as the Souls games, they tend to be much nicer to deal with from the get-go without the whole frustrating aspects of the others. That's pretty much the reason I compare them. I know they are very different in their style but the annoyance they can bring at times can be quite similar.

Reactions: slick97

ComboBraker

May 19, 2018
can someone tell me how i can rais the rarety of breeded Nephelyms? i can find Legendarys in the wild but if i breed 2 of them the offspring will be comon or uncomon

Dull168

Jun 26, 2023
You are right. As I made the systems of that build, I play tested too. With the new UI update, he changed some stuff and I am sure that he is not someone who can properly test and see systematical-math formulas so probably there is more broken things then we can see.

I find the new UI, not practical and annoying mostly. I don't see a better future for the game from now on, even for years. It will just milk.
Wait YOU worked on this game too? Damn, didn't know that. Also, I'm a huge fan of your Barn Secrets demo, trying to be able to support your latest game. I checked the website and it's very promising, even if I'm not all that into the whole death/gore side of it.

Minishotgun

May 10, 2017
RubyZeronyka while DS and BoTN both have the "fail until you succeed" thing going, the main difference is that DS gives you a sense of satisfaction, achievement and relief when you DO succeed while BoTN is more of an "Ugh, FINALLY." response generator.
that feeling of "i did it" or "urgh finally" really depends on the player, i might add, most people that can't handle setbacks and expect to be victorious by the 3rd attempt are very likely to go "urgh finally" regardless of quality of difficulty. i've seen this quite a few times, experienced it myself too once.

and there is good difficulty and bad difficulty too, nobody likes a brainless bulletsponge that does nothing but waste your time, while you chip away at their colossal health and all they do are basic attacks you can't exploit. meanwhile, elden ring is like "ayo, remember that bandit you spared in that random-ass cave? that stone you brought from him is a special item that stuns this boss here for a few seconds so you can get some free hits in"

but i do have to agree with Ruby when it comes to the fun-factor of this game here, i mean i like it as a genetics simulator, but the gameplay loop itself is just boring really, mindlessly breeding girls to be a certain type, made worse by the fact that "better" genes aren't even transferred, and are very likely to level down instead.

that dev may be a souls fan, but just like the guys that made DS2. they completely misunderstood what really makes a difficult game fun, what made dark souls fun and not a boring slog.

• Red Heart
Reactions: RubyZeronyka

Drages

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2018
Wait YOU worked on this game too? Damn, didn't know that. Also, I'm a huge fan of your Barn Secrets demo, trying to be able to support your latest game. I checked the website and it's very promising, even if I'm not all that into the whole death/gore side of it.
I made the boring part of it. Testament of Minos is not so gory but yeah some humans may die.. they die anyway :p. You are welcome!

Drages

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2018
BotN is developed by a dev that is barely a gamer and the only games that he's known to have played are precisely the Dark Souls ones.
This is true. As he worked as a game dev before too, he got some step ahead from many devs here who tries to learn stuff on the way. But he got a limit and you can clearly see where he is good, which is world building, character modeling and character creation, after those there is not much there.

Until I redone the system, it was broken for 3-4 years. The "grindy" system was a bit my fault as it should be a proper progression with much more things planned like the breeder talents, unique hybrid progress, quests and such but as he kicked me from the project after only one patch I can work on, I could not do what I imagined.

He throw up most of the progress plans and started to work with that dildo company.

As I said before, sadly the game is done and became a milking scam.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
RubyZeronyka while DS and BoTN both have the "fail until you succeed" thing going, the main difference is that DS gives you a sense of satisfaction, achievement and relief when you DO succeed while BoTN is more of an "Ugh, FINALLY." response generator.
TBH to me is more like the contrary. Frustrating combat that at some point you are able to beat feels like finally if the pain is gone. BotN however it sure can be tedious but at least when you overcome that grind you feel like your work was worth the wait, specially if you get a unique looking neph along the way. Which speaking of is a thing that no DS game has achieved. Since BotN added the new offspring generation system each offspring you bring is a legitly unclonable version of the pair that made them and that goes on and on. In DS-like games the novelty of a challenge and its overcome might be new the first time but gets identically repeated very soon.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
that feeling of "i did it" or "urgh finally" really depends on the player, i might add, most people that can't handle setbacks and expect to be victorious by the 3rd attempt are very likely to go "urgh finally" regardless of quality of difficulty. i've seen this quite a few times, experienced it myself too once.

and there is good difficulty and bad difficulty too, nobody likes a brainless bulletsponge that does nothing but waste your time, while you chip away at their colossal health and all they do are basic attacks you can't exploit. meanwhile, elden ring is like "ayo, remember that bandit you spared in that random-ass cave? that stone you brought from him is a special item that stuns this boss here for a few seconds so you can get some free hits in"

but i do have to agree with Ruby when it comes to the fun-factor of this game here, i mean i like it as a genetics simulator, but the gameplay loop itself is just boring really, mindlessly breeding girls to be a certain type, made worse by the fact that "better" genes aren't even transferred, and are very likely to level down instead.

that dev may be a souls fan, but just like the guys that made DS2. they completely misunderstood what really makes a difficult game fun, what made dark souls fun and not a boring slog.
Exactly. And one key difference is that on BotN you have inbuild cheats so you can play your own way if you want. But I insist on what I said about soulslike players shoving their ideals into the games they develop. While in BotN you CAN cheat and have a more sandboxy experience, you are clearly mocked in some way because of it. Its to a less degree now but remember not too long ago when you added the "imma lazy sack" cheat that the game responded with a "your mother would be so proud" message? He eventually had to switch it cause half the backers base essentially threatened to remove total suport due to his contant mockery and it got replaced by something else that was not as the classical "Git Gud" mentality BS the previous message had.

If you play BotN without cheats however the experience gets just as "repeat until you succeed"-ish as the souls games in which you're forced to play the predetermined hard as balls experience no matter how much you struggle with it. Derelict sort of forces you to deal with a similar scenario in BotN already by doing the needless save wipes among other things.

And that's the thing, if Derelict didnt had some connections to Dark Souls games I wouldnt have brought this up cause probably this game would feel differently but that's not the case. You can clearly see that many things in this dont work as they should like in any other reasonably playable game. Which is essentially an obsession to remove choices for the players in a game that could severely benefit in a multitude of levels of having them. You're not forced to use them if you dont want to but keeping things in an over constrictive playloop for those who dont want to is asking for trouble cause they DO NOT have a choice to do otherwise.

Which is what fans of those games fail to understand. A challenge is only fun if 1. You want to and 2. If the reward for such painful task is worth it. But in these games it feels like the reward is nothing so why even bother about it? And before you say it, no, not everything is as simple as "Dont like it, dont play it" cause then at some point youll have almost 0 players and it would just take someone else to release something half as good but not even a 0,1% as punishing and people would switch to that blindly forgetting that the previous annoying one even existed. Or do you really think that Dark Souls was the first hard as madafaking balls thing that mankind released? Hell no, there's way harder games than that that people barely play today precisely cause they felt fury inducing and Im yet to meet a soulsplayer that hasnt admitted that certain oldschool games are just too frustrating to deal with.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
This is true. As he worked as a game dev before too, he got some step ahead from many devs here who tries to learn stuff on the way. But he got a limit and you can clearly see where he is good, which is world building, character modeling and character creation, after those there is not much there.

Until I redone the system, it was broken for 3-4 years. The "grindy" system was a bit my fault as it should be a proper progression with much more things planned like the breeder talents, unique hybrid progress, quests and such but as he kicked me from the project after only one patch I can work on, I could not do what I imagined.

He throw up most of the progress plans and started to work with that dildo company.

As I said before, sadly the game is done and became a milking scam.
But it's still his project right? Even if he kicked you half the way he COULD have fixed the remaining half but he decided to keep it like that. And then there's other problems that I dont think you can even blame yourself for like the whole save wipes issue or the constant mockery for those wanting more QoL features or having more options to deal with the grind.

Sure, he may be good a creating a beautiful world, having cute character designs and systems for said creations; but even on this I have to add criticism and it is the whole No Balls on futas issue. And that is one of the MANY situations like that. If he has such a big problem with balls and anal/gay sex why TF did he added the males on the first place at all? If you dont like something you dont magically "stop liking something to the point of wanting it banned out of existance" midway on development.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017

Grindfests aren't enjoyable for me so I can really only stand the loop in this game for about 40 minutes at a time, tops.
I'm a huge ADV/RPG nerd so naturally DS is a more enjoyable time for me.
Elden Ring? Bah. Too much made over something that frankly isn't much.
-----------------------------------
The original DS2 was a huge mess, made with virtually no input from the original team.
I think Miyazaki was too busy with AoA and Bloodborne to have much input for DS2 but as a supervisor there was at least something he could do but DS2 was such an ungodly mess that there was only so much that could be done. Scholar of the First Sin was the amount of fixing and retooling they could do and it had to encompass the DLC as well. And it was still a mess, just less so. For many, DS3 was the highlight of the series which is saying a lot as the Fanboys still rave about DS1. I can understand why but it is far from perfect, even so.
------------------------------------
If I may be blunt - though it is quite flawed - I think I had more fun with Unlimited Saga than the more recent builds of this game. Instead of improving things, he doubled down on fucking Lovense. I'm convinced he has a financial agreement with them.

Reactions: HeadsExplode

Slashboi

Nov 18, 2019
Can you not enter the creative mode cheat in the newest version?
There's no cheat menu on the main menu

Edit: nevermind, changed hotkey for console and it worked

slick97

Dec 2, 2021
The "grindy" system was a bit my fault as it should be a proper progression with much more things planned like the breeder talents, unique hybrid progress, quests and such but as he kicked me from the project after only one patch I can work on, I could not do what I imagined.
Grindy is an understatement. Pride's quest is borderline impossible even with the built-in cheats. The only way I've ever completed it is with using a save editor to modify a Nephelyms traits.

I eventually stopped following this project because the only system which seems to be fully developed is character creation. There's no control over: probabilities for traits, pregnancy length, lust/spirit drain rates, reward multipliers, etc. The inventory system is non-existent, the trait system for the Breeder is non-existent, the quest system is worse than the radiant quest system from Bethesda games, there are only a select few sex positions actually implemented.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but please know that none of this is directed at you specifically. The updates for this game over the past 2 years have barely added any new content, and actively made the existing content less enjoyable. DH's over-reliance on RNG systems is embarrassing as it shows lack of knowledge on how to properly balance his game.

Sorry... I promise I'm done ranting. And I'm sorry you got treated poorly by DH and booted off the project after such a short time. Seems like you genuinely cared about the success of this game.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019

And BOTH happen to deal with frustrating "do and repeat until you suceed" playloops that get annoying until you get to that point. You could also say that knowledge in BotN shortens the grind time MASSIVELY, as well as the skill to optimize the freakton of things that can end up happening at once so you can get each ingame day to be squeezed out of every profit that you can make out of it to minimize.

I know that in terms of style they're VERY different but you cant deny that both can potentially be just as tedious/frustrating to play as the other, specially when like I said, one is developed by a diehard fan of the other. And if my experience testing indie games have showed me is that devs with that kind of likeness tend to add some element of frustration into their game's playloop, such as:

- One fatal day totally overhauling the enemies to have abilities that make the combat 40 times more annoying to deal with than before cause some can regenerate faster than Volverine or snipe you with a handgun across the screen, and if you get knocked out you get fucked (Could be a nice thing to have as an outcome but if you add its bondage options is straight up frustrating as hell).

- Have an overcomplicated turn based combat and character atributes check that feels like trying to beat Pokemon's League with a Magikarp, in which if you fail to succeed at those your character literally gets assraped.

- BotN with its endless grind and the dev's active refusal to add QoL features like something as basic as being able to have saves compatibility, specially on a game that can take hours or days to pass from having one area locked to having it available.

- A visual novel that takes a century to get into ANY sex interaction at all with a harem-ish story that doesnt properly showcase you that unless you go the "lest fuck everyone" youll advance at a quarter of speed, however the whole dialogues pushes you to believe otherwise.

And so on and on. Meanwhile the devs that tend to like more simplistic games with less overcomplicated mecanics as the Souls games, they tend to be much nicer to deal with from the get-go without the whole frustrating aspects of the others. That's pretty much the reason I compare them. I know they are very different in their style but the annoyance they can bring at times can be quite similar.
Well, that would explain a few things if the dev doesn’t even play games himself …

Also, simply playing a game doesn’t make one a good analyst or designer. It may very well be that DH thinks he’s just making a difficult game in the vein of Dark Souls, but the reality is quite to the contrary.

In my opinion, making a difficult game engaging is a matter of balancing adversity with player agency, and in Dark Souls, the player has all the agency. There might be a few random factors here and there—such as the way mobs can gang up, or if a boss spams a certain attack—but player skill and choices dictate everything. The core of the game is recognizing attacks to block or avoid them, then identifying windows of opportunity for a counterattack or healing; these are all skills the player can improve on. Moreover, there is no cap on mastery, which is why people can successfully complete challenge runs, such as no-hit, level 1, no weapon upgrades, etc.; it is possible to reach a point in the game where you take no damage whatsoever. Breeders of the Nephelym has no similar mechanics: the core of the game is breeding mostly via RNG.

Even barring mechanical skill, player decision plays a huge impact in Dark Souls: while a veteran player can roll around naked and never get hit, a less confident player can use a shield, or even magic spells and summoned allies, which reduce difficulty drastically. Knowledge provides some advantages in Breeders—knowing to open the desert area first, to access the portals early, for instance. But even then, in Dark Souls the player can gain knowledge organically; it’s fairly easy to try fighting an enemy with a weapon, fail, and try again with another; all of the secret mechanics, like illusory walls, can be reasonably found out during regular gameplay; and the information thus gained will help with future enemies and suspicious doorways, in the same playthrough. Breeders, on the other hand, does none of that. There is no way to deduce or learn that the desert area holds the portals, and knowing this in any case can only help with a new game; there is no knowledge gained here that can be put to further use. The other useful knowledge in Breeders is either completely hidden, or would be prohibitively difficult to actually learn via gameplay; this includes pregnancy chance, the way traits are passed down, how to raise world level, etc. The only way to learn these things is to read the (out of date) wiki. Other advantages that can be gained are via settings (e.g. using futa to make trait selection more efficient), which is about as far from “organic gameplay” as is imaginable.

The other sources of frustration you mention are similar to Breeders in the the player has no agency: overcomplicated combat that is blatantly unfair (health regeneration and enemies that significantly outrange you are especially unforgiving—note that Dark Souls has none of the former, and very little of the latter; note also, with the exception of some bosses maybe, the lack of “bullet sponges”), or reliant on deterministic yet unpredictable factors like element-types or attributes (enemies in Dark Souls have weaknesses, but exploiting that weakness is never necessary to defeating them); visual novels that progress too slowly; etc. The problem with these situations is that the player can’t do anything about them, other than cheat if the game permits it.

There are definitely players who can get frustrated with Dark Souls—because they don’t think they’ll improve, because they don’t have the patience to let themselves improve, because they’re not used to adversity, or any other reason—but I think in general it does a good job of showing you how much agency you have. Even when you die to a boss, you’ll notice you were more confident in dodging that attack you were getting bodied by earlier—and you’ll feel as though you were close to dodging the one after that. Whenever you breed a Nephelym and it doesn’t get the traits you wanted, you have no other choice than to do the same thing again, with the same odds, until it just works of its own accord.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
Well, that would explain a few things if the dev doesn’t even play games himself …

Also, simply playing a game doesn’t make one a good analyst or designer. It may very well be that DH thinks he’s just making a difficult game in the vein of Dark Souls, but the reality is quite to the contrary.

In my opinion, making a difficult game engaging is a matter of balancing adversity with player agency, and in Dark Souls, the player has all the agency. There might be a few random factors here and there—such as the way mobs can gang up, or if a boss spams a certain attack—but player skill and choices dictate everything. The core of the game is recognizing attacks to block or avoid them, then identifying windows of opportunity for a counterattack or healing; these are all skills the player can improve on. Moreover, there is no cap on mastery, which is why people can successfully complete challenge runs, such as no-hit, level 1, no weapon upgrades, etc.; it is possible to reach a point in the game where you take no damage whatsoever. Breeders of the Nephelym has no similar mechanics: the core of the game is breeding mostly via RNG.

Even barring mechanical skill, player decision plays a huge impact in Dark Souls: while a veteran player can roll around naked and never get hit, a less confident player can use a shield, or even magic spells and summoned allies, which reduce difficulty drastically. Knowledge provides some advantages in Breeders—knowing to open the desert area first, to access the portals early, for instance. But even then, in Dark Souls the player can gain knowledge organically; it’s fairly easy to try fighting an enemy with a weapon, fail, and try again with another; all of the secret mechanics, like illusory walls, can be reasonably found out during regular gameplay; and the information thus gained will help with future enemies and suspicious doorways, in the same playthrough. Breeders, on the other hand, does none of that. There is no way to deduce or learn that the desert area holds the portals, and knowing this in any case can only help with a new game; there is no knowledge gained here that can be put to further use. The other useful knowledge in Breeders is either completely hidden, or would be prohibitively difficult to actually learn via gameplay; this includes pregnancy chance, the way traits are passed down, how to raise world level, etc. The only way to learn these things is to read the (out of date) wiki. Other advantages that can be gained are via settings (e.g. using futa to make trait selection more efficient), which is about as far from “organic gameplay” as is imaginable.

The other sources of frustration you mention are similar to Breeders in the the player has no agency: overcomplicated combat that is blatantly unfair (health regeneration and enemies that significantly outrange you are especially unforgiving—note that Dark Souls has none of the former, and very little of the latter; note also, with the exception of some bosses maybe, the lack of “bullet sponges”), or reliant on deterministic yet unpredictable factors like element-types or attributes (enemies in Dark Souls have weaknesses, but exploiting that weakness is never necessary to defeating them); visual novels that progress too slowly; etc. The problem with these situations is that the player can’t do anything about them, other than cheat if the game permits it.

There are definitely players who can get frustrated with Dark Souls—because they don’t think they’ll improve, because they don’t have the patience to let themselves improve, because they’re not used to adversity, or any other reason—but I think in general it does a good job of showing you how much agency you have. Even when you die to a boss, you’ll notice you were more confident in dodging that attack you were getting bodied by earlier—and you’ll feel as though you were close to dodging the one after that. Whenever you breed a Nephelym and it doesn’t get the traits you wanted, you have no other choice than to do the same thing again, with the same odds, until it just works of its own accord.
You know I find quite funny how people use the 101 logic of ANY game to explain why Dark Souls is good while ALL games rely on that to a degree with the MASSIVE difference is that very few games rely so 200% on ALL of those as Dark Souls do. And I can even bring some examples on how:

In Alice Madness Returns on the first playthrough some enemies would surely give me trouble at first but after doing the enemy specific tutorial and learning how to beat that enemy and the next ones, I can deal with a horde mode of enemies mixed and matched and even Ill be able to beat said things on the first try depending on the case. Also if you happen to, say on normal difficulty not being able to bypass a specific enemy or challenge you can always tone the difficulty down and bypass that part that gets you stuck so then, later on, with more experience in the game fully learn how to flawlessly defeat. Soulslikes however demand you to learn to perfection how to beat said enemy or challenge, otherwise you're locked on progressing, hitting a brick wall again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again until you beat it and every time you get defeated you get punished further.

In a game like Cyberpunk or Skyrim you have a predetermined experience but you can always alter it by mods that can add from certain unique items to completely overhauling systems like how leveling works at all and each gameplay feels different than the previous, you can try a lot of builds and each can be made just as viable naturally or through those, while in the classic souls game you get banned for using mods simply for insisting in keeping the challenge as identical to everyone as possible when those "smart" devs forgot that every player plays a game differently, even on multiplayer modes.

In a survival such as Conan Exiles, that even tho has a combat that resembles to a degree how soulslikes feel, you can adjust the minor values of how the combat operates like having something like light attacks not costing stamina, cause maybe being completely defenseless cause you just dodged a couple of times is immersion breaking as hell as being forced to deal with that MANDATORILY is a BS on its own. But in Elden Ring.... Heh.

Even the whole punishing mecanics of dying that Minecraft or the previous, along with others on the genre can be turned off at will cause, hey, losing all the shit you have been working on for hours is keyboard crushing. And if you like it, sure, go play on hardcore mode and have your world being deleted if you die, but bruh, dont force me to deal with it cause Im not forcing YOU to play on locked easiest difficulty.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
Grindy is an understatement. Pride's quest is borderline impossible even with the built-in cheats. The only way I've ever completed it is with using a save editor to modify a Nephelyms traits.

I eventually stopped following this project because the only system which seems to be fully developed is character creation. There's no control over: probabilities for traits, pregnancy length, lust/spirit drain rates, reward multipliers, etc. The inventory system is non-existent, the trait system for the Breeder is non-existent, the quest system is worse than the radiant quest system from Bethesda games, there are only a select few sex positions actually implemented.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but please know that none of this is directed at you specifically. The updates for this game over the past 2 years have barely added any new content, and actively made the existing content less enjoyable. DH's over-reliance on RNG systems is embarrassing as it shows lack of knowledge on how to properly balance his game.

Sorry... I promise I'm done ranting. And I'm sorry you got treated poorly by DH and booted off the project after such a short time. Seems like you genuinely cared about the success of this game.
Yeah same NGL. While I enjoy playing this game I can only do it with the cheats on cause I refuse dealing with the massive grind it has XD

Reactions: slick97

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
It's a porn game, the main primary goal should be how viable it is to fap to in a private environment

No one fire up a porn game with the mindset of "oh today i'm gonna try to beat this hard futa boss again after getting defeated and assraped 11x and then after i manage to time my cum expulsion right and hit the critical womb spot i'll share my proud achievement on my steam timeline so that all my friends can see"

Dull168

Jun 26, 2023
I made the boring part of it. Testament of Minos is not so gory but yeah some humans may die.. they die anyway :p. You are welcome!
Well I can't argue with that logic, hah. Can't wait to get my hands on Testament of Minos myself though!

3.90 star(s) 109 Votes