Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Netbook with integrated.
There were no problems with version 0.41 and other Ren.py games (on the old version of the engine). Now downloaded this 0.90, the game will stuck after entering the name. Scenes work, in scene gallery(with mod).
///google translate)
Game is still on Ren'Py 7.1.3 as is has been since the start of the game. There really is nothing different about the game that should be causing you issues if you were able to play v0.41.

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
In any case, this problem is now only with this game.
A new game, after entering text, the picture with Callisto stuck, in the background starts playing music.
In reading your posts of this issue, I have to believe you've got a hardware limitation. You didn't mention but if you haven't played since ver 4.1 you've got a much larger game than that was. Ver 4.1 was only about 1gig where this one is about 3 gig worth of files even if there were no renpy issues, which there aren't any as it's the same version of renpy.

I've loaded this program on a decade old PC running win 7 and ver 0.9 worked fine. but Netbooks are a different, limited OS and hardware built to a price point which leads me to think you've maxed it out or hit one of it's OS limitations....like file access capability.

I'm afraid it's not an issue in the game. Sorry.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
A new game, after entering text, the picture with Callisto stuck, in the background starts playing music.
It's unfortunate that you are having difficulties playing the game. The error message you have provided, does not give any indication of a coding issue. Additionally, there have been no other reports I have seen of others with a similar problem with the game. I proactively address issues with the coding in the game, however the information provided does any indication that coding adjustments are required. As such I am not able to assist with your difficulties.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
It's unfortunate that you are having difficulties playing the game. The error message you have provided, does not give any indication of a coding issue. Additionally, there have been no other reports I have seen of others with a similar problem with the game. I proactively address issues with the coding in the game, however the information provided does any indication that coding adjustments are required. As such I am not able to assist with your difficulties.
I think it might have to do with some animations.

Xavster, I did not look at how you're implementing animations in the game, but from this part of his log:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1024, 600)
swap interval: 1 frames
Windowed mode.
Initializing EGL: Error creating EGL surface (egl error 0x3003):
It looks like his GPU is throwing what I think is an openGL error. My best guess is that whatever Renpy is sending the call is sending them in OPENgl.

Can you check you update your display drivers?

Xavester, is there a way to use DirectX rather than opengl (I'm not familiar with the switch in Renpy or if it is even possible.)

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Probably the wrong game for you dude. This isn't a warcraft, Call to duty game.

You're gonna have to get used to being an underdog who wins out through other things than being the biggest gun on the battlefield. Callisto is going to stay what it is, a "squab class, humble but reliable freighter" What you see is what you get. . . and you'll have two wars to survive with her, if you can.

This game's got a lot more going for it than you think. But if you head in to it with the outlook you've got, probably won't 'get it.' Best of luck finding your type of war game.
This will never be the Rocinante...

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
I think it might have to do with some animations.

Xavster, I did not look at how you're implementing animations in the game, but from this part of his log:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1024, 600)
swap interval: 1 frames
Windowed mode.
Initializing EGL: Error creating EGL surface (egl error 0x3003):
It looks like his GPU is throwing what I think is an openGL error. My best guess is that whatever Renpy is sending the call is sending them in OPENgl.

Can you check you update your display drivers?

Xavester, is there a way to use DirectX rather than opengl (I'm not familiar with the switch in Renpy or if it is even possible.)
The specific code at the start of the game is as follows.
Python:
label start:
    call update_quest
    call update_interact

play music "mb_Snowfall.ogg"

scene black
    show ai m00 with Dissolve(2)
    cali "Hi. My name is Callisto."
    cali "I'd really like to get to know you better."

$ cname = renpy.input ("So please, what is your first name?","John").strip()
    $ lname = renpy.input ("And may I know your last name?","Smith").strip()
    $ cnick = renpy.input ("And what nickname might I use to whisper in your ear later on?","Cap").strip()
    $ persistent.firstname = cname
    $ persistent.lastname = lname
    $ persistent.nickname = cnick

show ai m01
    cali "Thank you [cname]. If you wish, you can change your logon later. But first, there are some important things you need to know ..."

scene intro mw with Dissolve(1):
        xalign 0.5
        yalign 0.5
        zoom 0.2
        ease 8 zoom 1 yalign 0.7

show ai r02 with Dissolve(0.5)
    cali "Welcome to the frontier regions of the Milky Way Galaxy, Captain [lname]"
    show ai r09
    cali "It is 2167. Over the past hundred years, the human race finally learned to live with its own cultural and physical differences and has established their presence amoungst the stars."

scene intro 11 with Dissolve(1)
    cali "Space exploration was initially slow. It wasn't until the discovery of a mysterious space gate in orbit between Jupiter and Saturn, that other star systems became readily accessible."
    show ai r09
    cali "This space gate, was just one many, that formed an interstellar network within the Orion arm of the Milky Way."

scene image_series_intro with Dissolve(1)
    show ai m07 with Dissolve(0.5)
    cali "Soon after making use of the space gate network, humans ran into species who’s differences were far beyond anything they had to contend with up to then."
    show ai m08
    cali "But as they gained experience relating to difficult alien species, they gradually developed methods of cooperation and trade."
    show ai m01
    cali "Humans established the Earth Alliance, bringing together the races of the Pleiades Cluster."
His game dropout occurred after "scene intro 11 with Dissolve(1)", which from a coding perspective, is no different than immediately preceding code, which he successfully navigated.

The animations are a combination of normal and transparent side by side webm files. These are not playing anywhere near the dropout in question.

As far as OpenGL vs DirectX, I can't see anything in the game options settings for Ren'Py that would modify the default graphics option. I certainly haven't gone out of may way to change it away from the default Ren'Py settings.

It's unfortunate that sanmal is having difficulties playing the game, however I cannot afford to change things randomly in the code. There still is no indication that it is related to code in the game and there is no clear indication of a problem or a solution. If there is a recommendation, I am happy to send @samnal an update of the relevant *.rpyc file such that he can trial the change.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
The specific code at the start of the game is as follows.
Python:
label start:
    call update_quest
    call update_interact

play music "mb_Snowfall.ogg"

scene black
    show ai m00 with Dissolve(2)
    cali "Hi. My name is Callisto."
    cali "I'd really like to get to know you better."

$ cname = renpy.input ("So please, what is your first name?","John").strip()
    $ lname = renpy.input ("And may I know your last name?","Smith").strip()
    $ cnick = renpy.input ("And what nickname might I use to whisper in your ear later on?","Cap").strip()
    $ persistent.firstname = cname
    $ persistent.lastname = lname
    $ persistent.nickname = cnick

show ai m01
    cali "Thank you [cname]. If you wish, you can change your logon later. But first, there are some important things you need to know ..."

scene intro mw with Dissolve(1):
        xalign 0.5
        yalign 0.5
        zoom 0.2
        ease 8 zoom 1 yalign 0.7

cali "Welcome to the frontier regions of the Milky Way Galaxy, Captain [lname]"
    show ai r09
    cali "It is 2167. Over the past hundred years, the human race finally learned to live with its own cultural and physical differences and has established their presence amoungst the stars."

scene intro 11 with Dissolve(1)
    cali "Space exploration was initially slow. It wasn't until the discovery of a mysterious space gate in orbit between Jupiter and Saturn, that other star systems became readily accessible."
    show ai r09
    cali "This space gate, was just one many, that formed an interstellar network within the Orion arm of the Milky Way."

scene image_series_intro with Dissolve(1)
    show ai m07 with Dissolve(0.5)
    cali "Soon after making use of the space gate network, humans ran into species who’s differences were far beyond anything they had to contend with up to then."
    show ai m08
    cali "But as they gained experience relating to difficult alien species, they gradually developed methods of cooperation and trade."
    show ai m01
    cali "Humans established the Earth Alliance, bringing together the races of the Pleiades Cluster."
His game dropout occurred after "scene intro 11 with Dissolve(1)", which from a coding perspective, is no different than immediately preceding code, which he successfully navigated.

The animations are a combination of normal and transparent side by side webm files. These are not playing anywhere near the dropout in question.

As far as OpenGL vs DirectX, I can't see anything in the game options settings for Ren'Py that would modify the default graphics option. I certainly haven't gone out of may way to change it away from the default Ren'Py settings.

It's unfortunate that sanmal is having difficulties playing the game, however I cannot afford to change things randomly in the code. There still is no indication that it is related to code in the game and there is no clear indication of a problem or a solution. If there is a recommendation, I am happy to send @samnal an update of the relevant *.rpyc file such that he can trial the change.
Ok thank you for that :)

Someone earlier already gave the way to switch between opengl and DirectX, it's hardcoded in renpy itself it seems, hopefully the driver update or switch of rendering method will fix it for him :)

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
can choose renderer when presses shift+g and starts game.
Integrated = intel n570.
Try this.

From the log, it looks like your laptop and GPUs are ancients.
Only 256megs of dedicated memory for the GPU if I'm not mistaken. I'm surprised anything even works on it these days :S

Windows7 32 bits, very olg GPU, only 2 gigs of Ram. I'm afraid your pc may be at the end of it's usability there.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Windows7 32 bits, very olg GPU, only 2 gigs of Ram. I'm afraid your pc may be at the end of it's usability there.
it is on these games unless graphics are made on honeystudio. upgrading (if even possible) would cost more than new computer.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
PC decomposed. This is old Notebook, but for renpy its ok. The problem is that the new unity does not support 32bit os, the new renpy requires gl2. This is rare game, which still use old renpy(compressed use new, dk for).
The proposed method does not help.
Then I'm sorry, but it looks like both your pc and OS are simply too old. :-(

Reactions: professorx10

sanmal

Jul 30, 2017
Game is still on Ren'Py 7.1.3 as is has been since the start of the game. There really is nothing different about the game that should be causing you issues if you were able to play v0.41.
Спасение утопающих дело рук самих утопающих.
1. You change Intro after 0.41.
2. Problem in: intro mw.webp - 9600x5400.
Any others pictures/video with same size?

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
I've sent you a replacement file, that may assist with your issue. Let me know how it goes.

Reactions: sanmal

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
I've sent you a replacement file, that may assist with your issue. Let me know how it goes.
This does make sense, an older card would not be able to display that kind of resolution I guess.
Xavster, you may want to share the file here, and report the post/update the OP for older OSes/older GPUs :)

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
This does make sense, an older card would not be able to display that kind of resolution I guess.
Xavster, you may want to share the file here, and report the post/update the OP for older OSes/older GPUs :)
The larger image is used with a zoom effect. Hence whilst it is native in the game at that resolution it is converted to 1080p by Ren'Py. I have since sent revised code to sanmal which seems to have rectified the issues he was experiencing. Not sure why he is being affected by this, whilst nobody else seems to. I can only guess it's because he is not able to play the game in 1080p.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
The larger image is used with a zoom effect. Hence whilst it is native in the game at that resolution it is converted to 1080p by Ren'Py. I have since sent revised code to sanmal which seems to have rectified the issues he was experiencing. Not sure why he is being affected by this, whilst nobody else seems to. I can only guess it's because he is not able to play the game in 1080p.
I could be wrong, but I think the old cards couldn't go pass 1024*1280.
It could also be a limitation of the resolution of his actual screen since the laptop is fairly old.

I'll try to dig the specs of his laptop a bit more on the net to try and figure that one out.
What resolution did you send him?

It's difficult to find the resolution, but this is one of the very very few examples I've found:
10.1″ Acer CrystalBrite LED display (1024 x 600 resolution)
So I'm guessing my gut instinct was right, that CPU/GPU is more than likely unable to display quite a few resolutions (it might even not be able to display some ratios.)

It's likely a very isolated issue indeed due to the sheer age of the machine.

Last edited:

sanmal

Jul 30, 2017
Msi l1350d
N570(gma 1350)
Downscale 8k+ in renpy can be much for this. Idk, browsers and imageviewers it open fine)))

Feb 17, 2022
Game looks really great but I'm in desperate need of some guidance. I got past the prologue (which was awesome!) but now I appear to have nothing to do but aimlessly wander throughout the ship seeing the same small interactions with the crew. Is there some kind of quest log or some hint system I'm not seeing to point in the general direction of what's next to do? I found the "walkthrough" but not sure that's even the right term for it but it didn't really help me figure out what to do next.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
Game looks really great but I'm in desperate need of some guidance. I got past the prologue (which was awesome!) but now I appear to have nothing to do but aimlessly wander throughout the ship seeing the same small interactions with the crew. Is there some kind of quest log or some hint system I'm not seeing to point in the general direction of what's next to do? I found the "walkthrough" but not sure that's even the right term for it but it didn't really help me figure out what to do next.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Whew.... it didn't? Well, I'm crushed!
I put a lot into that walk through to do that very thing, tell a new player exactly what to do to get through the first two weeks of the game and achieve the first two goals, IE; Getting Tiffany to take over trading and earn enough money to buy the scanner in the Captain's computer and launch the "Save Dione" adventure at the Pleiades station. . . which is what it says in the walk through and leads you to accomplishing.

DID you READ the walk through? DID you follow the steps?? The quest tracker is on the control bar at the top of the window. and the "?" has a complete explanation of the game screens and functions.

So I'm lost. How can I help? What didn't you understand about the walk through?

4.20 star(s) 118 Votes