TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
I'll agree that there is no need to bash the dev, but in the game industry it is accepted, with exceptions, that tutorial that are implemented in-game are the best choice, of course not when they take the control from the player, but when they are either prompts, or instructions that appear once a new situation is initiated, I agree that it is possible to understand the in-game tutorial but a player shouldn't have to look for it.

Reactions: juan palote

erkper

May 16, 2018
Being able to play it doesnt mean anything.

Yes, of course eventually you figure it out, like you said this isnt rocket science, but you shouldnt need to figure it out, that is why games have Tutorials and Walkthroughs.

You are probably too young, but games used to come with Manuals of hundreds of pages, explaining every single thing you could do on them.

This evolved in Tutorials.

Refusing to provide any kind of tutorial is a mistake.

And yes, i whine a lot about this, because its a stupid decision made by the Dev, and as a fan of games like Privateer, Freelancer or Starpoint and after getting engaged by the great Prologue and the very nice story, i wanted to like this game, untill i had to face the game itself.

Sure, i eventually realized that gold stars were main story quest, diamond stars repeatable events, silver stars character progression events, etc, and even after i figured that out i missed quests.

And dont even try to justify a quest log that only has Quest A, B, C, etc without any descriptions on it....
If you're really this unhappy with the game, there's a simple solution: don't support the dev (oh yeah, you never did) and stop playing the game.

FWIW, I'm fairly sure those games that came with hundreds of pages of manuals also cost quite a bit more than what you paid to pirate this one. And the business model for those games was quite a bit different than the patreon business model. AND the dev has offered concise, exact instructions, in this thread, in response to someone who got his game for free on a pirate site. That is better customer service than you ever got from any game in the "hundreds of pages manual" days. But you still whine. Repeatedly. You are the very definition of troll.

Reactions: mugizib

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
The tutorial is ingame and isn't to hard to understand, just need a little read comprehension.

And how you're bashing the Dev, yes, seems you're trolling, no need to be disrespectful to make a point.

Go play a game that you have to click on one after another to get to the end, maybe you don't need a tutorial for that (I can be mistaken)
You act as if i was the only one criticizing the lack of tutorial or WT.

Its by far the more requested feature, by several people.

White knights like you dont allow this game to improve, it isnt the end of the world to actually explain how your sandbox game works, LIKE EVERY SINGLE OTHER SANDBOX GAME DOES, and for a very good reason.

But sure, keep supporting even the more stupid decisions, the game will surely get better that way

• Angry

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
If you're really this unhappy with the game, there's a simple solution: don't support the dev (oh yeah, you never did) and stop playing the game.

FWIW, I'm fairly sure those games that came with hundreds of pages of manuals also cost quite a bit more than what you paid to pirate this one. And the business model for those games was quite a bit different than the patreon business model. AND the dev has offered concise, exact instructions, in this thread, in response to someone who got his game for free on a pirate site. That is better customer service than you ever got from any game in the "hundreds of pages manual" days. But you still whine. Repeatedly. You are the very definition of troll.
I already stopped, after the game told me i missed a main quest even when i clicked on every single gold star.

But since i liked the story and the characters, every now and then i come back to see if the game improved or keeps making the same mistakes

erkper

May 16, 2018
You act as if i was the only one criticizing the lack of tutorial or WT.

Its by far the more requested feature, by several people.

White knights like you dont allow this game to improve, it isnt the end of the world to actually explain how your sandbox game works, LIKE EVERY SINGLE OTHER SANDBOX GAME DOES, and for a very good reason.

But sure, keep supporting even the more stupid decisions, the game will surely get better that way
This game has gotten better, and continues to get better. This dev responds quickly and positively to positive feedback, and even to positive or constructive criticism. There is no need for trolling such as yours.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
This game has gotten better, and continues to get better. This dev responds quickly and positively to positive feedback, and even to positive or constructive criticism. There is no need for trolling such as yours.
I am not trolling, i am asking for a tutorial/WT that allows me to play the game without missing content i shouldnt miss even when i did nothing wrong, which is what many others are asking too. Again, something every sandbox game has for a good reason.

Its not that hard, i am not asking for much, just something that is standard and a good practice, and would make the game better.

I also ask for missions to not be named A, B, C, etc, or if you name it like that, to have a hint when you hover them or a description when you click them with a description of the mission. Again, something very standard and a good game design practice.

So you see, i ask for very specific things that would improve the game, that other people are also asking, and that are not even that hard to implement.

The problem is that when you give constructive criticism that would actually make the game better, you have the horde of white knights ready to bash you.

I dont think i am asking for that much, honestly

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: mugizib and erkper

erkper

May 16, 2018
I am not trolling, i am asking for a tutorial/WT that allows me to play the game without missing content i shouldnt miss even when i did nothing wrong, which is what many others are asking too. Again, something every sandbox game has for a good reason.

Its not that hard, i am not asking for much, just something that is standard and a good practice, and would make the game better.

I also ask for missions to not be named A, B, C, etc, or if you name it like that, to have a hint when you hover them or a description when you click them with a description of the mission. Again, something very standard and a good game design practice.

So you see, i ask for very specific things that would improve the game, that other people are also asking, and that are not even that hard to implement.

The problem is that when you give constructive criticism that would actually make the game better, you have the horde of white knights ready to bash you.

I dont think i am asking for that much, honestly
If it's not hard to do, and you're honestly not asking for much, you should put your money where your mouth is and create one to post here. It should be a welcome addition that might even get added to the OP if it's done well.

You are trolling not by content but by methodology. Your complaints have been noted by the dev and responded to. It serves no useful purpose and is not constructive to continue to post again and again and again whining about the same thing.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
If it's not hard to do, and you're honestly not asking for much, you should put your money where your mouth is and create one to post here. It should be a welcome addition that might even get added to the OP if it's done well.

You are trolling not by content but by methodology. Your complaints have been noted by the dev and responded to. It serves no useful purpose and is not constructive to continue to post again and again and again whining about the same thing.
Create what, a tutorial? No, i am not the Dev, i do create tutorials/user guides for the applications i make (i do not make games).

The Dev responded that he doesnt think any tutorial or WT is needed, which is clearly not what a lot of people think, so yes, i will keep raising my concerns (which again are shared by many people) when they are not being listened.

Its a common mistake form developers to not realize that their creations need to be explained, because since they know how to do everything, they think nothing needs to be explained, but with experience you realize that is not true, you need to explain how everything is done, and not assume anything as a given when you create any piece of software.

What serves no useful purpose is to ignore the most common criticism on a game, given by dozens of people, and discarding it.

Encouraging the Dev to solve the most common complaint is actually very useful and constructive.

• Angry

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
Hey, Usually when I hit the "you've come to the end of this story so far" I quit and/or go back. . . but this time I just played on for a little bit and up pop's a couple little surprises.... like having a talk between Lia and Tanya about her powers...and then that Drinking Game!! Surprise Surprise...we find out more about ladies backgrounds...why Alice might not be frozen and. . . more. That was fun!... I see we're going to have more interplay in the future... Makes me look forward to the next chapter even more! . . .and moves the game up a notch in my opinion. Can the better get better than this? Oooooo Tiffany....why are you crying?...You been so cool up til now...(more intrigue coming?) What can I say but great stuff.
And Juan., You are not "lots of people" If you want a walkthru for this game, create one and share it. That is what other gamers do and you say you can. So Go ahead. Devs are not obligated to make one. Xavster has said, no, and I for one, agree with him.(and I think others do also) So if you insist on a walkthru, have at it!
BUT, IMHO, A walk thru in this game is counter productive and would spoil the fun of exploring in it, This is not so big or grindy a game that you can't 'get it' after playing it a while. If there was one, I'd recommend ignoring it. The interface is simple, the trading works well, the basket ball game is a great fun side step, the side missions work (but are mostly optional), the salvaging ships is fun (but could use a few more surprises/dangers/etc) and in the future we're going to see some rivalry in the crew AND we've got a major assholes coming our way. Maybe we get to 'kick some a**'? putting a battle segment in this would take it up yet another notch.
Gonna be my vote for best game of the year if this keeps up!!

Last edited:

erkper

May 16, 2018
Create what, a tutorial? No, i am not the Dev, i do create tutorials/user guides for the applications i make (i do not make games).
Yeah, that's what I thought.
The Dev responded that he doesnt think any tutorial or WT is needed, which is clearly not what a lot of people think, so yes, i will keep raising my concerns (which again are shared by many people) when they are not being listened.

Its a common mistake form developers to not realize that their creations need to be explained, because since they know how to do everything, they think nothing needs to be explained, but with experience you realize that is not true, you need to explain how everything is done, and not assume anything as a given when you create any piece of software.

What serves no useful purpose is to ignore the most common criticism on a game, given by dozens of people, and discarding it.

Encouraging the Dev to solve the most common complaint is actually very useful and constructive.
The dev has also consistently added features as requested by fans here and/or patreons on that site. Even when he initially explained he didn't think they were necessary. Pretty much every update has expanded the QoL improvements to the game, added features include the ship map, the star system, the upcoming LI circle of interest (whatever he called it, lol.)

I don't think your requests are out of line, and in fact I fully support adding description to the quest tracker names, and even though I find the color-coded star system adequate for a sandbox game I can understand how new players often feel like they're spinning their wheels when they first start the game. If you track my posts in this thread, you'll notice I struggled with the interface at first and have lobbied for some improvements along the way.

But throwing a tantrum and DEMANDING the same things over and over and over, after the dev has responded to your comments already, is not constructive in any way. You just come across as a petulant child.

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
The dev has also consistently added features as requested by fans here and/or patreons on that site. Even when he initially explained he didn't think they were necessary. Pretty much every update has expanded the QoL improvements to the game, added features include the ship map, the star system, the upcoming LI circle of interest (whatever he called it, lol.)
Can confirm.
In fact a lot of the feedback i've given has been addressed and added as QoL to the game.

That said i never once expressed hatred or continually went into a back and forth with the dev. I wrote what i needed to explain my pain points offered suggestions and ideas and some of it was accepted. Whether that was on me or the Dev actually felt the same i'll never exactly know. That said, if you have something to say, a valid reason and suggestions for change Xavster has been great about listening to and explaining their thoughts on the subjects.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I don't think your requests are out of line, and in fact I fully support adding description to the quest tracker names, and even though I find the color-coded star system adequate for a sandbox game I can understand how new players often feel like they're spinning their wheels when they first start the game. If you track my posts in this thread, you'll notice I struggled with the interface at first and have lobbied for some improvements along the way.

But throwing a tantrum and DEMANDING the same things over and over and over, after the dev has responded to your comments already, is not constructive in any way. You just come across as a petulant child.
I dont track posts of users, i reply to the arguments they make in the discussion i am having.

Its not tantrums, and are hardly DEMANDS, its constructive criticism.

All i asked in my original comment was for a WT, and i was replied with a condescending tone by the Dev, so yeah, he lost my respect with that. The game needs a tutorial/WT/manual/whatever you want to name it, it would be a better game with it and a lot of people has commented on that, but i am done with "suggesting" it after the Dev decided to be condescending about it.

Again, i think the story is great, and i liked the characters very much, and that is the only reason why every now and then i come back, even after the gameplay experience as a new player sucked after i finished the prologue.

And i will keep comming back, because i think the Dev eventually will be forced to provide such basic features that almost every othe rgame has, and once he does that the game will be very good, because it has a lot of potential, but for me, he lost any respect he could have when he replied like that.

• Angry

Dec 20, 2019
callisto_tracker.jpg
Went in and did a quick clear up of my remaining events. I am at beehive cluster but cannot figure out how to trigger the side mission. Can anybody help? I am also looking forward to the continuation of Tiff after the Medbay event and Lia shower scene. The bypassed stuff, maybe I will restart again later just to hunt them down.

All in all, this game doesn't really need a walkthrough, the tracker and the stars are enough to guide you. All you need is a little time and patience to go through the week and see what's available. Maybe a quick reference guide is sufficient enough.

Reactions: erkper

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
View attachment 735830
Went in and did a quick clear up of my remaining events. I am at beehive cluster but cannot figure out how to trigger the side mission. Can anybody help? I am also looking forward to the continuation of Tiff after the Medbay event and Lia shower scene. The bypassed stuff, maybe I will restart again later just to hunt them down.

All in all, this game doesn't really need a walkthrough, the tracker and the stars are enough to guide you. All you need is a little time and patience to go through the week and see what's available.
It should trigger once you get there if you've done the main story to completion.
At least that's how it worked for me.

Dec 20, 2019
It should trigger once you get there if you've done the main story to completion.
At least that's how it worked for me.
Nope, as you can see It's still marked green with the main completed. I just arrived and it did not trigger anything.

erkper

May 16, 2018
Nope, as you can see It's still marked green with the main completed. I just arrived and it did not trigger anything.
The side mission is the "London-esque" kidnappings you are hired to solve. I believe there is a bug which Xavster has identified and fixed for the next version which makes it show as still available even after you did it.

[Edit] - and the silver stars are repeatable events, so training with Kira and the basketball game are the reasons for the silver stars.

Reactions: AvatarStormBringer

Dec 20, 2019
The side mission is the "London-esque" kidnappings you are hired to solve. I believe there is a bug which Xavster has identified and fixed for the next version which makes it show as still available even after you did it.
Thanks! Then I am done, just have to wait for the next version :BootyTime:

Reactions: erkper
4.20 star(s) 118 Votes