PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
I'm not saying let me go around murdering whatever i want there is a huge difference between being a pirate vessel and letting us attack pirate vessels that attack us( since there are times where every form of defense you have will fail, i have had at least 4 ships where i have had to take damage or bribe them), the best you can get from salvaging in my experience is an 80 unit hit on something, and then you just immediately transition into flipping once you sell it off
Until now, the Callisto has no offensive capabilties. Maybe this changes in the future. She has been upgraded before, so who knows.
You can make a huge profit with salvaging if you find a rare ship with some experimental high tech you can sell at the junkyard, but you have to get lucky to come across such a thing.

erkper

May 16, 2018
I'm not saying let me go around murdering whatever i want there is a huge difference between being a pirate vessel and letting us attack pirate vessels that attack us( since there are times where every form of defense you have will fail, i have had at least 4 ships where i have had to take damage or bribe them), the best you can get from salvaging in my experience is an 80 unit hit on something, and then you just immediately transition into flipping once you sell it off
So don't target the hold every time? Most of the bridge/engine/weapons components from the high-tech ships (Omicron or Coleoid) are more valuable than a full hold of cargo anyways. Once I get the scanner I never bother with trading at all because I find salvage much more profitable. Running from the salvage fields to the junkyard is faster than hopping sector to sector selling cargo, doesn't generate jumpgate fees, run into pirates, and is pure profit with no initial investment.

Doxxi

May 19, 2019
Until now, the Callisto has no offensive capabilties. Maybe this changes in the future. She has been upgraded before, so who knows.
You can make a huge profit with salvaging if you find a rare ship with some experimental high tech you can sell at the junkyard, but you have to get lucky to come across such a thing.
it does not even nessicarily need to come in the form of offensive capabilities, give the hard burn/ decoy defense options the ability to disable/destroy and pirate (by hitting an asteroid that you banked around or by sending them into an asteroid field. i feel like having the guaranteed high profit of trading to be a better trade-off then any rare parts i have ever found on salvage .

Doxxi

May 19, 2019
So don't target the hold every time? Most of the bridge/engine/weapons components from the high-tech ships (Omicron or Coleoid) are more valuable than a full hold of cargo anyways. Once I get the scanner I never bother with trading at all because I find salvage much more profitable. Running from the salvage fields to the junkyard is faster than hopping sector to sector selling cargo, doesn't generate jumpgate fees, run into pirates, and is pure profit with no initial investment.
but there is always a chance it just does not have anything to sell or there is already another salvager there so even if in one rotation you happen to make a bit more i feel like on average trading is just better, which doubles because quests mostly trigger in one of the stations so you never have to break your revenue stream.

erkper

May 16, 2018
but there is always a chance it just does not have anything to sell which is completely avoided in trading so even if in one rotation you happen to make a bit more i feel like on average trading is just better, which doubles because quests mostly trigger in one of the stations so you never have to break your revenue stream.
Well I'll just say your first point is not borne out in my game experience. I will give you the point about quests, getting a quest ready is about the only thing that will prompt me to stop salvaging and take a trip to a station other than selling salvage cargo at Beehive.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
Like I said in another post, it can be highly profitable if you find those high tech ships. I also had salvage runs where I had to choose between two heavily damaged Drake shuttles. Indeed, setting course to the junkyard incurs no jumpgate costs, but it still costs a day, so it's not exactly faster I think.

Doxxi

May 19, 2019
Well I'll just say your first point is not borne out in my game experience. I will give you the point about quests, getting a quest ready is about the only thing that will prompt me to stop salvaging and take a trip to a station other than selling salvage cargo at Beehive.
I do find things just generally sub 5k(weekly right under 42k which is pretty easy to break over that by flipping), there is also the chance of running into other salvagers now which does not help.

Last edited:

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
The only problem is that you have to keep your hold empty if you want to collect salvage, so that's a day trading lost. Salvaging and selling 10 units of grain brings in a lot less profit than hauling two cargo holds of 80 units of a high priced commodity during the same period.
true, that's why i rollback if i get crap.

on last update i noticed that could get better price from salvaged engine/whatever if didn't try to drive price to very high (very high price was same as buyer originally offered and other option gave more money).

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
true, that's why i rollback if i get crap.

on last update i noticed that could get better price from salvaged engine/whatever if didn't try to drive price to very high (very high price was same as buyer originally offered and other option gave more money).
Hehe :giggle:. I know. Rolling back saves you the effort of saving at each minor choice.

erkper

May 16, 2018
I do find things just generally sub 5k(weekly right under 42k which is pretty easy to break over that by flipping), there is also the chance of running into other salvagers now which does not help.
If you're happy with your trading, more power to you. As I said, my gaming experiences don't jibe with your claims. You are right about running into other salvagers, that's annoying now. (Also quite possibly a balancing effort by Xavster, which if so would suggest salvage is indeed more profitable. But that's just my unsubstantiated theory.) I'm about to start telling every single one of them to fuck off and just see what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Doxxi and cxx

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
If you're happy with your trading, more power to you. As I said, my gaming experiences don't jibe with your claims. You are right about running into other salvagers, that's annoying now. I'm about to start telling every single one of them to fuck off and just see what happens.
well as they are better equipped i'd say ship and crew would be blown to bits.

3 ships to be salvaged and each having same other salvager is odd but dev's choice.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
to be fair the quest log showing what is available/ bypassed is just kind of bad, for example, the kitchen scenes with lia and Tanya, are only doable on certain days but because we have no way to know when people like this are in that spot it is really easy to either do a quest and get time skipped over that spot in which case you have to time skip a whole bunch to then get to a spot where you can or you get locked out entirely. or the side missions where i literally just sit in the menu click on a new station and time skip till it eventually happens because there is no log to give me an idea of when or where i should go to do something. My go-to example that i feel every sandbox game should implement is something similar to the calendar in personal trainer because it lets you see where everyone will be at a certain day/ time and lets you plan accordingly*which would make even more sense here because as you said we are a captain of a ship, in that i should have the ability to know what my crew will be doing throughout the day).
There was a map interface introduced in v0.30 to show the location of all the crew members at any given time. Also integrated into this system is a hint system, allowing you to easily find the content. Often confusion as to what to do is a result of players failing to utilise any of the in game help (? button and captain's computer). The game is sandbox by design and if I were to linearize all of the content, it would be a completely different style of game. You would lose the ability to decide what you want to do when. If you believe there is a tweak, please advise the change. Those that have been following the game from the start should note that I have consistently reacted to constructive feedback.

Should you wish to know where everyone is going to be I have included ship schedule below.
Callisto Schedule.jpg

Not entirely true since you lose out on 70 units of items that you would have had flipping, the only time i completely run salvage is if i start it on Monday and get 80 units of something then i will go sell it before starting on flipping vendor stuff for the rest of the week till the reset.
Salvaging is a hit / miss activity to a degree. The profit made is dependent upon:
- Ship salvaged
- Ship damage
- Area salvaged
- Negotiation
- Some RNG
The advantage is that you have no real investment cost so salvage is all profit, the disadvantage is that it takes 2 days to complete a salvage operation. From looking at the code, the maximum possible profit from a single salvage is about 20,000 credits, however it requires the correct decisions and is also quite improbable.

The trading and the salvaging is in the game to increase the immersion. They are not the core game. Whilst making large quantities of credits does have some benefits, it is not essential to see the full game content. If you enjoy the system, then by al means play extensively. If you do not, then you can largely avoid.

well as they are better equipped i'd say ship and crew would be blown to bits.
3 ships to be salvaged and each having same other salvager is odd but dev's choice.
There is a 40% chance of another salvager being present when on a salvage mission. The rival is a random choice between 4 potential alternatives. If you are getting weird runs, it is just RNG doing unlikely things. Note that if you roll back and replay the event, Ren'Py will generate the same random number / choice and you will get the same result. This is not something I have control over.
Python:
    $ rand10 = renpy.random.randint(1,10)
    if rand10 in [1,2,3,4]:
        if ali_dev == 1:
            $ salv_ship = renpy.random.choice(["Drake","Collector","Pelican","Vulture"])
Other:
- The correct choice to make with Saurital changes and all three options are preferred at different times. I suggest you pay more attention to Lia during negotiation.
- Callisto is a freighter and not a military ship. Converting it to one would be like trying to modify a truck to compete in a formula 1 race. Don't worry your lust for revenge against the pirates will be satiated.

Doxxi

May 19, 2019
There was a map interface introduced in v0.30 to show the location of all the crew members at any given time. Also integrated into this system is a hint system, allowing you to easily find the content. Often confusion as to what to do is a result of players failing to utilise any of the in game help (? button and captain's computer). The game is sandbox by design and if I were to linearize all of the content, it would be a completely different style of game. You would lose the ability to decide what you want to do when. If you believe there is a tweak, please advise the change. Those that have been following the game from the start should note that I have consistently reacted to constructive feedback.

Should you wish to know where everyone is going to be I have included ship schedule below.
The schedule is amazing and i would honestly love if at some point there was a way to work that into the game 10/10 .

for like 90% of this i think you have the sandbox pretty well rounded, the issue i have with the quest tracker is sometimes i want to go take a break or do something els or stop for an amount of time and cant recheck dialogue and being able to click on an available mission for say liberation of dione and see if i specifically need to go talk to lia or go to the planet would be nice,* to keep it from just being click on the thing and follow instructions you could have it record some important milestone stuff after it is switched from available to incomplete*. another is the side missions which if you are given hints how to start I have not noticed them in 5 playthroughs of this and i just spam locations and sleeping patterns till it triggers. also, Kara has an entire quest behind Julia that is pretty easy to miss because it does not distinguish her repeatable quest star from the kara side quest star.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
The schedule is amazing and i would honestly love if at some point there was a way to work that into the game 10/10 .

for like 90% of this i think you have the sandbox pretty well rounded, the issue i have with the quest tracker is sometimes i want to go take a break or do something els or stop for an amount of time and cant recheck dialogue and being able to click on an available mission for say liberation of dione and see if i specifically need to go talk to lia or go to the planet would be nice,* to keep it from just being click on the thing and follow instructions you could have it record some important milestone stuff after it is switched from available to incomplete*. another is the side missions which if you are given hints how to start I have not noticed them in 5 playthroughs of this and i just spam locations and sleeping patterns till it triggers. also, Kara has an entire quest behind Julia that is pretty easy to miss because it does not distinguish her repeatable quest star from the kara side quest star.
With the main quests, the gold star will show up on the map interface. With the ones on the bridge, Tanya will clarify exactly what the situation is and what needs to be done. With the remainder they should be activated by just selecting the room.

With the side quests, they are activated at Beehive Station. If you are trading or salvaging, you should have these trigger routinely. These are difficult to flag, as they are only active when you are in a certain location. With the location selected, I would have expected that people would visit that location at least twice a week. Trading is structured such that you need to pass though all three stations in order to maximise your profit. Similarly with salvage, it automatically sets Beehive Station when you salvage cargo.

In relation to the comments on the Kara side quest, they don't have anything to do with Julia content from what I recall. They should also be easy to distinguish from the repeatable Kara content (afternoon only) as they appear at different time periods.

There should never be a need to spam locations in an attempt to find content. If you are in the map interface and advance time from there, you know if there is going to be content at a location, as a star of some form is present. Some of these stars are repeatable content, however it shouldn't take long before you realise at what location / time of day these repeatable events take place.

From what I can gather, for players that have gone through the help screens and understand the interface, the content is not difficult to access. This is supported by the lack of queries in this thread of how to activate certain quests. When someone does have some difficulties triggering events, the majority of the time it seems to just be a lack of awareness of the map interface.

Achieving a balance between sandbox / story line and also freedom / accessibility of triggered events is not easy. It's something I attempted to address in the release of v0.30, however it may not be ideal for all. People have preferences and it's not possible to tailor to the game to everyone's desires as they will often differ substantially.

PS: Whilst the schedule is necessary for the coding of the sandbox and could easily be published in the game (Captain's Computer), I do not think it is a good idea to include. I feel that it gives the impression that the Captain is a micro manager, dictating where everyone should be, every moment of every day. The ability to spy via the map interface where everyone is at any time is sufficient.

STNeish

Mar 20, 2020
A question (perhaps it's been asked)... I can't seem to take screenshots, it always gives me the message that they failed to save. Is that by design? If not, any idea how I would fix it?

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
A question (perhaps it's been asked)... I can't seem to take screenshots, it always gives me the message that they failed to save. Is that by design? If not, any idea how I would fix it?

??what gives you the message "they failed to save." ??
What situation are you in? What are you trying to do?
(if this is 'save a game' then check your pc/whatever the game has been thoroughly tested for this)
Insufficient information to be able to help.

STNeish

Mar 20, 2020
I'll be on a game screen, any screen. I press "S" to make a screenshot, and a message appears at the top saying it failed to save the screenshot. The actual message is "Failed to save screenshot as C:/Users.../Callisto/screenshot0001.png" Other Renpy games I have will save a screenshot in the game folder, but this one fails to save every time. I'm not sure why.

4.20 star(s) 118 Votes