• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
about the unity engine, i have to say, very few developers managed to make it worth using here. in most cases the game is too messy, much more bug filled and worse of all, take much longer to develop due to those developers having to basically reinvent the wheel with every new update... that being said, there are games that not only managed to do it, but made something that is of higher quality than if was done on renp'y, like those elf trainer games.

overall, i dont see the need to use unity, unless you are already very familiar with it. unity is a great engine, but since most people using it, are basically coding their first project, it really shows why it just doesnt work properly most of the time...

Turkis

Jul 17, 2017
I'm going to assume you don't quite understand what pirating is.. This game doesn't "pirate" anything. The assets and models used are not ripped nor stolen from anywhere. The art is created either by the dev, or by someone the dev hired. There is a difference.

also, as a nitpick to your last point (the FYI statement): the game is locked behind a patreon pay wall, so it technically isn't free. You can pirate the game because it's not supposed to be accessed unless you've given compensation to the developer, even if that compensation is a "donation"..
So the dev owns the rights or has received permission to copy the character designs from shows like Scooby Doo, American Dad, Danny Phantom, Total Drama, Kim Possible, etc. etc.. Because if he does, you'd be correct, he's not ripped nor stolen from anywhere. But the fact is he doesn't own, and I doubt he's been given permission to use all the female characters designs from the various IP's he's copying those designs from. While it's true that the artist has drawn them in his/her style, it doesn't change the fact that he's "pirating" the characters to make money off of them. So yes, he is pirating. But he can get away with it (in America) because this would probably fall under "parodying" the characters.

As for my FYI, while yes, for a short duration of time when he releases a new version of the game it is locked behind a patreon paywall only accessible to those who "donate" to support him. But he does eventually release the latest version to the public free of charge. I think he's like a week or two after release? I don't remember.

lionguild

Jul 15, 2018
They had a second chance, it's what destroyed the first game and created all this bad will. When you make a game and decide to try and port it to a completely different program, change the entire game, and then abandon it because you broke it too much, you end up with people thinking little of you. They had a good solid game with the Unity version of Camp Pinewood, they should have just gone back to the last build of that and salvaged what they could from the Ren'py version. Instead we got a canceled broken game and something new to worry about. What's to say they won't abandon this game? People start to worry about where their money is going, especially in this timeline.
Trying to convert to Renpy was not his "second chance" that was him failing. Logically the next project (this) would be his second chance.

Gamer_01

Dec 16, 2019
Does the Android Version work yet, or does it still say "there was an error parsing the package" ?

MaxLesbian

May 1, 2018
I enjoyed version 1. It was a fun romp, we sat around the campfire every night, I got to experiment with Frankie, then aliens landed and things went sideways..
Then came version 2. It reused all the old graphics, removed tons of scenes, and lost anything resembling a plot - and OMG the bugs. But it still had Frankie, so it was worth sticking with.
Now we have version 3. The graphics have improved, Frankie is different, and I just don't know if I should be excited or sad..

Enrik971

Jul 14, 2017
In general mostly but also due to the switch from Renpy to Unity for the continuation of the game series. The switch is a jarring one and unity is...not optimal for these kind of games.
I think the opposite, the original camp Pinewood was made in Unity, when the autor switch and convert to Ren'py the game became more worse, because the initial game have a feeling different from a VN, more like a mix with an advencture.
Ren'py is a great engine BUT if you want make a game DIFFERENT from a VN, need much skill and much work.
Ren'py Camp Pinewod is a collection of bug, UI was much worse than original, and the developer had grat difficult to recreate the original game mechanic.
Unity instead is a general game engine, you can make almost everything with it, VN too ( i make a VN like with animations, video, etc. for work using Unity). The MAIN difference is that additional great packages are not free!

Reactions: sc0rp10n

djross2

Jun 26, 2020
I hope this game ends up being good. It does have the potential to be really good. I am a little skeptical on why the dev decided to switch from Renpy to Unity, but I still think that the game could look nice on unity with that Rick and Morty game being proof of a game looking nice on unity. Good luck on improving this game dev.

Hyperecchi

Jul 27, 2017
I like the art, but if this is like the first game, it's going to be a buggy mess with absolutely horrible dialogue that doesn't make sense. If you're going to pander to an English audience, hire a native English speaker to write the dialogue for you!
Ha, I once offered to help write the dialogue. I saw the story was good, but there was some situations that were just... bad. Any attempts to contact the dev and offer help in the discord fell on def ears.

Kurohimiko

Jul 21, 2017
I am a little skeptical on why the dev decided to switch from Renpy to Unity.
It's because they were shit with Renpy. The first game, Camp Pinewood, was originally made in Unity and that was the best it ever would be. They later decided to switch to Renpy in hopes of easier creation only to fuck up everything and ruin the game to the point it was easier to scrap it all and start over from scratch, which is this. This is why I don't have much hope for this version. Instead of just continuing with the original game, going back to square one and recycling all the assets they just threw it all in the trash and gave up on it. Not a good look when you have a Patreon and accept peoples money.

Reactions: Skeltom and jaimss

SukebeDude

Jul 27, 2017
I like what i see, i enjoyed the original so i'm expecting a lot, especially since it's made in Unity which allows them to do whatever they want unlike Renpy, not sure how to feel about Francine though, i like her but i prefer the original, i assume her being that way will play a part in the story otherwise you could just have made a new character.

3.00 star(s) 14 Votes