4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

TeamEquipe

Mar 3, 2020
Okay, rookie request here. What is the advantage (if any) to the Developer of putting his game on "Steam"?
I'd never heard of it until I read this thread.

Reactions: Gh0st_Harambe

Gh0st_Harambe

Mar 9, 2020
Okay, rookie request here. What is the advantage (if any) to the Developer of putting his game on "Steam"?
I'd never heard of it until I read this thread.
Advertising, Steam is a huge market and the game reach more users who cannot be patreon, they can get the game through Steam.
College Kings´s devs published their game in Steam and that produced a great boost to their patreon numbers.

Reactions: endriux and anker11

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
he'll attract more supporters
Advertising, Steam is a huge market and teh game reach more users who cannot be patreon, they can get the game through Steam.
College Kings´s devs published their game in Steam and that produced a great boost to their patreon numbers.
How is this working on steam? Do you buy the game one time an get every time the new version is out the update for free?! or is this working with a subscribtion system like patreon?

Gh0st_Harambe

Mar 9, 2020
How is this working on steam? Do you buy the game one time an get every time the new version is out the update for free?! or is this working with a subscribtion system like patreon?
Depends on the devs and if the game has more than one season.
For example Act 1 of College Kings was free, but act 2 is a paid DLC, same happens with Being a Dik. You can buy season 1 and when the season 2 is released in Steam, you need to pay it, to able to play it.
Other games like Depraved Awakening, Avalon or Acting Lessons, you paid one time and you have the full game.

Last edited:

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
I’m sorry you feel that way. I will say that our patrons have never been kept waiting even a second longer than they would have otherwise because of our delivery planning.

I am processing a refund for your lifetime patronage today.

Best of luck!
Let's set the record straight here. I have never asked for any kind of refund. Nor have I recieved more than a couple of month's worth as there is no mechanism for doing so. I didn't ask for it and I didn't want it, that was your choice. All I did was unsub from your Patreon, days before I wrote my post.

As far as Steam goes, I'm on record in this forum as being opposed to creators selling unfinished games on Steam. I have long been concerned about the predatory marketing of games, and I think it's obvious that marketing practices like pre-sales, loot boxes, games by subscription, and etc are predatory marketing. Despite all past legal fictions, court rulings across the US and all over the world have established that Patreon is selling games, that's why they have to charge sales tax, and in my opinion selling them at an exorbitant price. Unfortunately there is an element in the gaming community that has hampered any efforts to bring developers to any kind of fair consumer standard. I think this is amply demonstrated by the post above.

If you were so concerned about refunding, you could have easily refunded all of your subscribers for the month you failed to deliver, there IS a mechanism for that.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
If you were so concerned about refunding, you could have easily refunded all of your subscribers for the month you failed to deliver, there IS a mechanism for that.
Since you are pretty much the only one complaining, it stands to reason the other patrons are satisfied with the frequency of updates. Why then would they refund satisfied supporters?

Plus to be fair your original complaint was that Steam releases delayed releasing to Patreon supports, which was categorically denied. You're basically performing a bait and switch.

ugulugulu

Feb 3, 2020
Since you are pretty much the only one complaining, it stands to reason the other patrons are satisfied with the frequency of updates. Why then would they refund satisfied supporters?

Plus to be fair your original complaint was that Steam releases delayed releasing to Patreon supports, which was categorically denied. You're basically performing a bait and switch.

Well they kinda got delayed by 2 or 3 weeks (how dare they are actually having a real life besides developing pixeled breasts), which pushes the update from the beginning of August to roughly the end of August. So he's obviously right by saying everyone should be refunded for the month they didn't deliver.... *irony off*

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Let's set the record straight here. I have never asked for any kind of refund. Nor have I recieved more than a couple of month's worth as there is no mechanism for doing so. I didn't ask for it and I didn't want it, that was your choice. All I did was unsub from your Patreon, days before I wrote my post.

As far as Steam goes, I'm on record in this forum as being opposed to creators selling unfinished games on Steam. I have long been concerned about the predatory marketing of games, and I think it's obvious that marketing practices like pre-sales, loot boxes, games by subscription, and etc are predatory marketing. Despite all past legal fictions, court rulings across the US and all over the world have established that Patreon is selling games, that's why they have to charge sales tax, and in my opinion selling them at an exorbitant price. Unfortunately there is an element in the gaming community that has hampered any efforts to bring developers to any kind of fair consumer standard. I think this is amply demonstrated by the post above.

My god, you really do live in your own little bubble, don't you.....

Jun 5, 2019

huh.png

Retrofire

Jul 4, 2019

It's unclear to me if you're angry at the dev (who has been nothing but transparent and courteous to you unless they're talking shit to you in DMs) or if you're just raging because no matter what you post, you just look like a bigger idiot.

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
It's unclear to me if you're angry at the dev (who has been nothing but transparent and courteous to you unless they're talking shit to you in DMs) or if you're just raging because no matter what you post, you just look like a bigger idiot.
The fan support is always appreciated, but we'd prefer to just let this die here.

We certainly understand people have strong feelings about the behavior of some developers in the past, and are wary of distribution models they perceive to be risky to the consumer. We certainly don't expect this choice (Steam Early Release) to be popular with everyone, and can only hope that when this is over, our name is remembered among the devs who delivered what they promised.

DavDR, we didn't refund you because you requested it, and we hope that wasn't implied. We refunded you because we didn't feel right moving forward with your investment locked to our development. We've refunded what we could through Patreon, and we'll refund the difference by whatever reasonable means you offer to us. We haven't blocked you on Patreon, so you're welcome to make whatever arrangements you prefer there.

In the event that you don't contact us again, we'll make a donation in your name for the balance to the Dare to Dream Foundation -- A charity which benefits survivors of parental abuse in Mallory's honor.

While we may not have been a dev team you could support in the end, we hope this doesn't sour you toward supporting other developers who align more closely with your values!

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
The fan support is always appreciated, but we'd prefer to just let this die here.

We certainly understand people have strong feelings about the behavior of some developers in the past, and are wary of distribution models they perceive to be risky to the consumer. We certainly don't expect this choice (Steam Early Release) to be popular with everyone, and can only hope that when this is over, our name is remembered among the devs who delivered what they promised.

DavDR, we didn't refund you because you requested it, and we hope that wasn't implied. We refunded you because we didn't feel right moving forward with your investment locked to our development. We've refunded what we could through Patreon, and we'll refund the difference by whatever reasonable means you offer to us. We haven't blocked you on Patreon, so you're welcome to make whatever arrangements you prefer there.

In the event that you don't contact us again, we'll make a donation in your name for the balance to the Dare to Dream Foundation -- A charity which benefits survivors of parental abuse in Mallory's honor.

While we may not have been a dev team you could support in the end, we hope this doesn't sour you toward supporting other developers who align more closely with your values!
I've spent my life writing contract software, or managing troubled groups without a traditional portfolio or standing in the management structure. Most of the time it worked out. A couple of times we fixed it on our own dime because it was the right thing to do, regardless of the contract details. But, sadly, a couple of time we had to fire a client/customer. Gave them back the entire moneys spent, plus the time value of their investment, and told them to walk away. Some clients/customers simply can not be made happy.

You've handled this person with integrity and honor, and you are to be commended. I always promised myself I would only support a game, no matter how good or how much I loved it, until it shipped. But, in all honesty, I'm having a very hard time holding to that, given your handling of this situation. I am far beyond impressed. Far far beyond.

Soundgfx

May 4, 2020

That's pretty professional.

I thought yall were going to sass your way with these kinds of people, most devs usually do lmao

Reactions: MV_1999 and anker11

Terminator_26F

Apr 1, 2019

Besides being damn good VN designers, maybe the best, you are noble people, with a heart and a brain in the right place and you know how to use it. And I say to you "Chapeau, les artistes !".

Reactions: MV_1999 and endriux

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017

aplause.gif

Reactions: anker11

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Been watching this from afar for a while now, and this reaction makes me watch it closer. And that's not only because I think you did handle this in a commendable professional way (I do think so) but because the thoughtful and well written approach makes me feel positive about the game itself also being thoughtful and well written - pure opportunism on my part. Won't help you that much, since I do not do Patreon for multiple reasons. Then again, I do buy stuff on Steam ... including lewd stuff you find on these forums.

But most importantly, kudos to taking the high road here!

endriux

May 5, 2018

WAT.jpg

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes