4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
The whole incest taboo is purely about genetics; to anyone who wants to go all biblical I simply say, if you really take the whole Genesis Eden story as literal then I have only one question. Who did Adam and Eve's kids fuck. The biggest psychological problem with incest is that it is perceived as a "dirty little secret". In the case of MC and Jaye, the incest label is artificially imposed and completely illogical. Love will grow wherever and whenever the heart is open and the internal dialogue of each individual determines action or inaction. Choices and changes are what make this tale epic for me.
The whole thing wasn't about incest anyway, because there is no incest to speak of. MC and Jaye were step-siblings in the first place, but after their parents' death, that barrier is off and isn't something that should limit them. The only problem that can show up from them being in a relationship with each other is merely a PR one, related to the company that they own, but it isn't something that can't be overcome. Though I really doubt that either Jaye or MC would care about it (Jaye really wouldn't care as was shown in the flashback when she punched that girl in the throat).

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
The whole thing wasn't about incest anyway, because there is no incest to speak of. MC and Jaye were step-siblings in the first place, but after their parents' death, that barrier is off and isn't something that should limit them. The only problem that can show up from them being in a relationship with each other is merely a PR one, related to the company that they own, but it isn't something that can't be overcome. Though I really doubt that either Jaye or MC would care about it (Jaye really wouldn't care as was shown in the flashback when she punched that girl in the throat).
You are right... at least it shouldn't be about incest. But there are always those who try to impose that label because they were 'raised as siblings' and I think this story (so far) does a wonderful job of presenting and then blowing past that hurdle.

Reactions: Lostanddamned

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
You are right... at least it shouldn't be about incest. But there are always those who try to impose that label because they were 'raised as siblings' and I think this story (so far) does a wonderful job of presenting and then blowing past that hurdle.
Well yeah, the press will probably push them as siblings, but I'm sure their company has a capable PR department that can deal with it. Like there's no way a multi-billion pharmaceutical company has no PR department to deal with such issues, it's unrealistic and hard to believe.

Seeing that neither George or Lisa have any issues with it, I think they'll be fine.

LizaS

Jan 20, 2022
I mean I think it's justified. Because even in real life if I knew one of my friends is going to marry their step-sibling, I would be like "wuuuuuuut?".
But, I'm also the kind of person who would say nothing and just support them because they aren't related. So no problems here. (y)

Well yeah, the press will probably push them as siblings, but I'm sure their company has a capable PR department that can deal with it. Like there's no way a multi-billion pharmaceutical company has no PR department to deal with such issues, it's unrealistic and hard to believe.

Seeing that neither George or Lisa have any issues with it, I think they'll be fine.
Oh god. You just made me realize that the press would eat that story up.
They would make a big thing about it and that would be trouble.

I guess that's one more hurdle A&J got to worry about.

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021

Hehe, yep, I think you will get to be right again. Perhaps, partly, because it is an issue that could add another branch to a story that already has a significant number of possible branches. It would be interesting, though, to see how it would play out if they got married. I mean IRL.

Reactions: Lostanddamned

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
Oh god. You just made me realize that the press would eat that story up.
They would make a big thing about it and that would be trouble.

I guess that's one more hurdle A&J got to worry about.
The press would go crazy about that shit. It's important to keep in mind that step-siblings dating/marrying isn't something that's accepted in a good light by society. That being said though, it's not forbidden nor is it illegal for them to marry.

Though, a capable PR team would wipe the floor with the press and present them as star-crossed lovers or something like that. For that to happen though, they need to use the world's most powerful weapon against fractured images/press issues - winning. Becase winning causes amnesia among the people. So they definitely have to win the court case against Prizer, anything less is unacceptable and would destroy them in the press.

I'll give you an example - facing a murder charge, Baltimore Ravens linebacker (and team captain) Ray Lewis pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice, and agreed to testify against two co-defendants. He received one year's probation. What did he do to make people forget? Win. No linebacker - not even Lawrence Taylor - has ever been more valuable to a Super Bowl champion than Lewis was on the field and in the locker room to the 2000 Ravens. Now, as a trusted and likeable figure, Lewis is pretty much the NFL's George Foreman.

Reactions: nyrek and LizaS

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
The death of the parents does not change anything one way or the other. Even if they were alive, not being related by blood, with a little effort and bureaucracy they could have married.

Mallory's case is even more curious, from a reproductive point of view it is full incest, from any other it is not

Reactions: motseer and LSC82

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
The death of the parents does not change anything one way or the other. Even if they were alive, not being related by blood, with a little effort and bureaucracy they could have married.

Mallory's case is even more curious, from a reproductive point of view it is full incest, from any other it is not
Even if James and Sarah were alive, there are still no barriers keeping MC and Jaye from being together, apart from merely a PR standpoint and how society react to it. That being said, I don't think James and Sarah would be ok with it, but there's not much they could do about it, especially after both MC and Jaye become adults.

With Mallory it's certainly interesting, especially if it's revealed to the public that she is a Sarah Campbell clone. That one is probably going to be more complicated to sort out, with one way being keeping the clone thing a secret.

Reactions: motseer and LSC82

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Even if James and Sarah were alive, there are still no barriers keeping MC and Jaye from being together, apart from merely a PR standpoint and how society react to it. That being said, I don't think James and Sarah would be ok with it, but there's not much they could do about it, especially after both MC and Jaye become adults.

With Mallory it's certainly interesting, especially if it's revealed to the public that she is a Sarah Campbell clone. That one is probably going to be more complicated to sort out, with one way being keeping the clone thing a secret.
The only problem would be the public one, which only matters if the two want to remain in charge of the company. Otherwise, they leave Lisa in charge and pocket the dividends (if the company survives).

But it really seems to me a secondary issue, they are a research company it's not like they have to be accountable to the public much

Much more risky is explaining Mallory's existence and experimenting with a genetic cure on Amanda, for that they risk everything

Reactions: BigBlueDude

BigBlueDude

Nov 15, 2020

The only problem would be the public one, which only matters if the two want to remain in charge of the company. Otherwise, they leave Lisa in charge and pocket the dividends (if the company survives).

But it really seems to me a secondary issue, they are a research company it's not like they have to be accountable to the public much

Much more risky is explaining Mallory's existence and experimenting with a genetic cure on Amanda, for that they risk everything
I dont think the PR department would have much of an issue at all. Its not like they are superstars, since when do you know of let alone follow the lives and families of CEOs or billionaire owners unless they are the kind that seek notoriety? Just as you said, they could make someone else the face of the company or just one of step sibling pair. There is no requirement to enter high society and publicity.

Its only now the pair as sudden heirs are interesting to the general media, the sniffing of blood such as an inheritance quarrel and thus potential for implosion of the company. If there is no destruction the media have nothing to gain. Alex as the mystery wayward off the radar son only matters in this moment because he is an unknown until a new status quo is reached. No quarrels among the heirs and soon everything settles and they will only matter to economic and medical media.

As you said the only potential PR issue they face are getting "caught" early on and then acting like its something shameful and wrong. But that can be fixed/mitigated with some prep and smooth continual operation of the company. Get privately married and live happily ever after.

Every time someone finds an irl lookalike they end up looking nothing like the character at all. Every single time, it seems to be a rule of life.
Yeah, the key features we each logs about the person we see differs. Theyre all true but we dont use the same ones, and even when we pick the same ones we dont give them the same weight. Thats why look-a-likes are so hit and miss. Some are spot on (we keyed in on the same features) others not so much or not at all (the features we focused on are partial hits or none at all)

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
I'm not sure there are actually laws on the books (anywhere) that would specifically cover the case of clones and incest. Sooooo.... :unsure:

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
I dont think the PR department would have much of an issue at all. Its not like they are superstars, since when do you know of let alone follow the lives and families of CEOs or billionaire owners unless they are the kind that seek notoriety? Just as you said, they could make someone else the face of the company or just one of step sibling pair. There is no requirement to enter high society and publicity.

Its only now the pair as sudden heirs are interesting to the general media, the sniffing of blood such as an inheritance quarrel and thus potential for implosion of the company. If there is no destruction the media have nothing to gain. Alex as the mystery wayward off the radar son only matters in this moment because he is an unknown until a new status quo is reached. No quarrels among the heirs and soon everything settles and they will only matter to economic and medical media.

As you said the only potential PR issue they face are getting "caught" early on and then acting like its something shameful and wrong. But that can be fixed/mitigated with some prep and smooth continual operation of the company. Get privately married and live happily ever after.
As long as they don't lose the case, company closes or something else of that nature, I don't think they have to worry about media backlash all that much. Besides, I don't think they will lose anyway, seeing as how Prizer make controversial moves like a Bond villain.

Like it has been already said - what MC and Jaye are doing is neither forbidden, nor is it illegal. Sure, there will be probably some media scrutiny, but it won't be something they won't overcome. They don't have to lead the company themselves anyway - Lisa seems to be doing an amazing job and getting rid of her is going to be a mistake anyway. Besides, the owners of companies of that size aren't involved in the day-to-day operations of them anyway. Like the owner of the company that I worked for in the past, I've seen like a handful of times in the 5 years I worked there. He would show up in a helicopter for the yearly quarter meetings of the Board of Directors to see how the company is doing and then he'd take the helicopter back to the airport, hop on a plane and go live his ilfe.

I'm not sure there are actually laws on the books (anywhere) that would specifically cover the case of clones and incest. Sooooo.... :unsure:
It will certainly be interesting how the devs handle that part of the story. But I believe in them, as both of them are talented enough to come up with something that fits the story.

Reactions: BigBlueDude
4.60 star(s) 308 Votes