4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

LinusMundane

Jun 30, 2022
Yeah usually the saves of us beta testers get borked so they can fix the issues so you guys won't have faulty saves ;P
I appreciate that. Just didnt want to have to do back to back as I remember there being a good number of hours of content. Thanks for the beta testing though!

v1900

Apr 21, 2020
Thinking about this game I was wondering one thing: MC's mother is one sex woman. And according to the lore Mallory is supposed to be some kind of clone. How come she doesn't have the same sexy looks? Don't get me wrong, Mallory is hot in her own way. But it would have been nice if she looked like the mom.
When cloning a human, you clone only the DNA of a cell's nuclei from that human that you want to clone. But you also need an egg/ovum and that is usually from another human. That means that there is another set of DNA belonging to the human egg/ovum donor in the cytoplasm's mitochondria.

So, to get an identical clone you would need not only a sample of the MC mother's DNA. You would also need her egg/ovum, which Mallory's dad most definitely did not have. Even then you have no guarantee that the clone will be identical because the physical appearance is influenced also by epigenetic factors such as intrauterine environment, and the handling of the cloning process itself, which can damage the chromosome's telomere. It is a probabilistic process that can give you unexpected results. Thus, you end up with a clone that looks similar but not identical.

You could say that Mallory looks like if she were a regular daughter of MC's mom and not an identical clone. It is mommy/sister incest with extra steps. :KEK:

You see, legally (based on real life law) she is not related in any shape or form to the MC and thus we get a VN with incest that Patreon and credit card companies can't do shit about it.

Jaye does not count, as per my understanding about the law in most parts of the world, she stopped being related by law after their parents died. Meaning she is no longer considered MC's sister.

Last edited:

Mike the Red

Apr 26, 2019
When cloning a human, you clone only the DNA of a cell's nuclei from that human that you want to clone. But you also need an egg/ovum and that is usually from another human. That means that there is another set of DNA belonging to the human egg/ovum donor in the cytoplasm's mitochondria.

So, to get an identical clone you would need not only a sample of the MC mother's DNA. You would also need her egg/ovum, which Mallory's dad most definitely did not have. Even then you have no guarantee that the clone will be identical because the physical appearance is influenced also by epigenetic factors such as intrauterine environment, and the handling of the cloning process itself, which can damage the chromosome's telomere. It is a probabilistic process that can give you unexpected results. Thus, you end up with a clone that looks similar but not identical.

You could say that Mallory looks like if she were a regular daughter of MC's mom and not an identical clone. It is mommy/sister incest with extra steps. :KEK:

You see, legally (based on real life law) she is not related in any shape or form to the MC and thus we get a VN with incest that Patreon and credit card companies can't do shit about it.

Jaye does not count, as per my understanding about the law in most parts of the world, she stopped being related by law after their parents died. Meaning she is no longer considered MC's sister.
If your concerns are mitochondrial DNA, you can get that from most cells, meaning that it would be easy for Mal's dad to get access to it, though, I don't really see the point (as the material it codes for isn't likely what he wanted to duplicate). I do agree with your statements about epigenetic factors influencing the child, so she's less likely to match the original than an identical twin would be.

As to whether she is related to the MC, that varies from place to place, but it's extremely likely that a clone would be "related" to the family of the original. In the USA, specifically mentions that human cloning should be prevented because of its effect on "kinship relations" for the parents and child, implying that the familial relation is there in order to be affected. Furthermore, HR 3498 repeatedly refers to the cloned person as a child of the genetic donor(s), so this would almost certainly fall under brother-sister incest regulations (which vary by state) if they return to the USA.

Last edited:

bobbo69

Engaged Member
Donor
Jun 18, 2017
No news on update or anything, no spoilers, nada, guy keeps to himself, he hasn't post since August 17th :(

v1900

Apr 21, 2020
If your concerns are mitochondrial DNA, you can get that from most cells, meaning that it would be easy for Mal's dad to get access to it, though, I don't really see the point (as the material it codes for isn't likely what he wanted to duplicate). I do agree with your statements about epigenetic factors influencing the child, so she's less likely to match the original than an identical twin would be.

As to whether she is related to the MC, that varies from place to place, but it's extremely likely that a clone would be "related" to the family of the original. In the USA, specifically mentions that human cloning should be prevented because of its effect on "kinship relations" for the parents and child, implying that the familial relation is there in order to be affected. Furthermore, HR 3498 repeatedly refers to the cloned person as a child of the genetic donor(s), so this would almost certainly fall under brother-sister incest regulations (which vary by state) if they return to the USA.
It is not about getting the mitochondrial DNA. It is actually the opposite. It is about not wanting the mitochondrial DNA of the egg donor. Suppose he gets his hands on Sarah's mitochondrial DNA as you stated. It is of no value to him because he can't replace the original egg's mitochondrial DNA with Sarah's. So, he needs Sarah's egg that contains her specific mitochondrial DNA. Before you get a funny idea about replacing a donor's egg/ovum mitochondrial DNA with Sarah's DNA. Know that an egg/ovum has mitochondria in the hundreds of thousands, so it is virtually impossible to do.

Now the effects of mitochondrial DNA on a clone's looks are not related the way you are thinking. Mitochondrial DNA has a lot to do with the rate at which nutrients are processed and the mutation rates in a newly inseminated embryo. So, it is important to have those same rates to get as close as possible to the same conditions that gave an exact look to a person. It is doubly important for invitro fertilization as it tends to screw with some of these exact conditions.

For example, it does not tell the color of the eyes of a person, in a way you could say it tells how fast to process the materials for those eyes and the error margin doing so.

And not to sound like an ass but the file you quote says exactly the opposite as you understood it:

"(4) because it is an asexual form of reproduction, cloning confounds the meaning of “father” and “mother” and confuses the identity and kinship relations of any cloned child, and thus threatens to weaken existing notions regarding who bears which parental duties and responsibilities for children;
(5) because cloning requires no personal involvement by the person whose genetic material is used, cloning could easily be used to reproduce living or deceased persons without their consent;"

The file you cited is enumerating the reasons why human cloning should be prohibited, I mean it is called “Human Cloning Prohibition Act of 2105” for a reason. When it says that cloning confounds the meaning of father and mother, it is saying that it is not definable as such by the law. Meaning by law you can't define a clone as your child, you can be his/her guardian but not the parent.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: MV_1999

Blades1138

Jul 29, 2017
If Mallory was a clone, she would effectively be MC's aunt in a biological sense, as an identical twin of his mother.
But I think the game makes it pretty clear that Project Crucible is about genetic manipulation and designer babies, rather than cloning, the latter of which is illegal. From there we can conclude that Mallory's father tried to reproduce MC's mom by 'manually' copying her separate genetic traits rather than outright cloning. However he hadn't perfected the process, so the result didn't match what he wanted.

mac78

Oct 4, 2018
This game is so cool... Renders of course, but the facials expressions are so real too... impressive !

And last but not least, some humor point, like somme jokes with the 4th wall... very funny

These devs are the best !! ;)

Reactions: Tulrek

mac78

Oct 4, 2018
And i forget to say, for me, the fact that sexe is not too musch is great...
The story is the more important thing, the fact that the brother and the sister relation grow slowly, with some little sexuals interraction (like when they're stuck in the box when then stole some stuff...)

What else to say... i really enjoy this game !

(sorry for my english)

v1900

Apr 21, 2020
If Mallory was a clone, she would effectively be MC's aunt in a biological sense, as an identical twin of his mother.
But I think the game makes it pretty clear that Project Crucible is about genetic manipulation and designer babies, rather than cloning, the latter of which is illegal. From there we can conclude that Mallory's father tried to reproduce MC's mom by 'manually' copying her separate genetic traits rather than outright cloning. However he hadn't perfected the process, so the result didn't match what he wanted.
You are forgetting this:
00001.PNG
Gene editing leaves behind markers that can be identified and is by definition not a clone, in that you are right. What was done with Mallory is a full-blown clone, he did not just mix and matched genes to make her look like Sarah, he copied her full gene sequence. Evidence by the fact that she is Sarah as stated in-game.

Also, by definition it does not matter if the whole sequence is stitched together "manually" as you stated, if at the end the whole is an "exact copy" and is asexually produced.

clone
an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.

As you put it, in a "biological sense", she would actually be his mother because contrary to popular belief identical twins do not have identical DNA. . This has been known for at least 2 decades and who knows why it is news just now?

Last edited:
Reactions: ARB582

Blades1138

Jul 29, 2017
You are forgetting this:
View attachment 2042718
Gene editing leaves behind markers that can be identified and is by definition not a clone, in that you are right. What was done with Mallory is a full-blown clone, he did not just mix and matched genes to make her look like Sarah, he copied her full gene sequence. Evidence by the fact that she is Sarah as stated in-game.

Also, by definition it does not matter if the whole sequence is stitched together "manually" as you stated, if at the end the whole is an "exact copy" and is asexually produced.

clone
an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.
Well, I'm not a genetics expert so I don't know if 99.97% is supposed to be considered a complete match or not in real life. I guess it also depends on how much of the genome was compared, as I don't think doing the full sequence is common or even easy/quick. However it is clear that those 0.03% are significant enough for Mallory to look quite different from Sarah.

Identical twins are essentially 'natural' clones of each other, and while they can end up looking slightly different over time due to genetic and environmental factors, it's never at that level. Combined with the fact that there's no explicit statement of cloning in-game and with the implied relation to Project Crucible, I think the intention is that Mallory is 'effectively not a clone'. Sophie's reaction to the high percentage match is for dramatic effect, as Mallory clearly isn't Sarah.

I guess she could be considered younger sister in some sense, since she shares higher percentage of her genetic makeup that natural non-twin sisters would. We'll just have to wait and see how the game resolves this, unless the developer wants to chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penfold Mole
4.60 star(s) 308 Votes