4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
It's funny cause I'm the opposite and I worry it'll get to the point it'll actually put me off the plot.

Too much "oh he's not a bad character, he's just a poor tortured soul really, let's just forget about the bad things" creeping into stories recently. I blame JK with Snape heh
This is a trope as old as time, but really it's been an Anime staple since the 70s at least, if not earlier.

Reactions: mightybored

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Dev can play the "Christian is really a product of abuse" card but I would still drown that fucker in the bay.
Just because a person had a shitty past, that doesn't give them a free pass to being a shit person. They're still responsible for their actions.
let's start from the premise that only those who have been guilty of gross misconduct can have redemption, if you do garbage collection badly you don't need redemption, a fine is enough.

Christian's character was presented to us as guilty of a most serious act (really only that otherwise he is more victim than perpetrator), but that was promptly belittled at virtually every opportunity directly by Jaye

I would argue that we are already beyond redemption

Cervy2pervy

Apr 18, 2018
I usually just bust a nut to these games, i mean i still wank to milfy city so you guys must understand that i like to wank. When i DL'ed this game i was just looking to have a quick fap at some animated milf and go on about my life. I was really surprised when this had such a nice story, pretty fun to read. I didn't even get to fap because of how invested im in lol. I hope this game has a good ending.

• Haha
Reactions: Clair de Lune

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
Christian's character was presented to us as guilty of a most serious act (really only that otherwise he is more victim than perpetrator)
On multiple occasions given we're shown a flashback where someone obviously fed him his teeth for trying something.

Beyond redemption so I do worry how much it'll impact my enjoyment going forward if the dev has a different idea

Retrofire

Jul 4, 2019
On multiple occasions given we're shown a flashback where someone obviously fed him his teeth for trying something.

Beyond redemption so I do worry how much it'll impact my enjoyment going forward if the dev has a different idea
The dev has stated multiple times in Discord that there is no intent to rehabilitate Christian. His sins are his own, and the player isn't expected to forgive them.

For the most part, Christian seems to remain antagonistic to Jaye and MC, yet is conflicted by the kindness of their mother and possibly even his uncle.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 110113.jpg

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
The dev has stated multiple times in Discord that there is no intent to rehabilitate Christian. His sins are his own, and the player isn't expected to forgive them.

For the most part, Christian seems to remain antagonistic to Jaye and MC, yet is conflicted by the kindness of their mother and possibly even his uncle.

View attachment 2139857
and what would he do antagonistically toward them (sexual assault excluded)?

- at the prom he is assaulted by MC, while Jaye was talking quietly to him
- for work he has to deliver an injunction to the family business, and because of this he gets involved in Jaye's proof of love to MC, and in general he is ridiculed
- we are shown how he defends Sara from the nastiness of his superiors, with no other motivation than gratitude
- refuses to do what he was sent to do as an undercover
- tries to warn MC of what they are about to do to him

and then actually the sexual assault was pretty much erased to keep Jaye's purity intact, but the mere fact that it was possible is enough for a death sentence against him

Reactions: soprano31

Retrofire

Jul 4, 2019
I'm not sure I'm following...

Are you saying the story changed after the fact from a Jaye rape to attempted rape as a retcon?

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A post from the developer at Patreon:

Chasing Sunsets - Of Livestreams, Patches, and Polls

As the holidays approach, and Chapter 6 is firmly in our rearview mirror, I thought I'd take a moment to make a few announcements.

New Binary/Patch Download Approach

The first is that we'll be changing our download links to folders, so you can choose the Mac or PC version at your discretion. We'll also keep the latest patch file in there in case you don't want to do a full download again.

The folder link WILL update whenever there's a new chapter released, but this should minimize the confusion over where to download files and what the latest version is with the current chapter going forward.

These links should now be live and can be found stickied at the top of the patron page.

Chasing Sunsets 0.7a (Bugfix) Released

This leads me to my second announcement: In those folders you will find Chasing Sunsets v0.7a. You can either download the full binary at the new links, or download the 0.7a "scripts.rpa" file in the subfolder. This can be copied to "ChasingSunsets/game/" and with an overwrite, should update your current install to 0.7a with no difficulty.

This is not a critical update, as none of the bugs were really game-breaking, but this does resolve a number of spelling/grammatical issues, and also tones down the Chapter Summary statements if you chose certain paths after becoming more serious with Mallory. The full patch notes will be available in the folder with the patch itself.

Chasing Sunsets is Gaining Weight

The third announcement may be a bit more controversial: After flowcharting what needs to happen in Chapter 7, I do not believe we can comfortably fit it all in one chapter. After speaking with Kentyrr, I believe the best option will be to increase the planned chapter count to complete the game to Prologue + 10 chapters.

I know this may be frustrating for people who saw the story coming to a quicker conclusion, but we feel we would not be able to do the story justice if we tried to cram everything that needs to happen next into a single update. Alternatively, we could have just made a super-sized chapter, but we feel that regular content updates keep our story relevant. We're sorry if anyone feels let down by this scope creep.

Post-Release Developer Livestream in December

Next, I'd like to announce that we'll likely host our post-release Livestream on Dec 10th. As we get closer to stream date, we'll finalize the date and time, with no small deference to our host's availability. Please don't hesitate to begin posting questions for the Livestream in the #questions-for-dev-streams channel in .

All are welcome, and Kentyrr and I love every chance we get to interact with fans of the story. We hope to see you there!

Chapter 7 Announced!

Lastly, I would like to announce the kick-off of Dev Cycle 8, as we begin working on Chapter 7, titled "Convergence."

It's time for the Campbells to start wrapping things up on Tonalu and begin to looking at returning home. As the chapter title implies, a lot of moving parts are starting to build toward a climax, and some of them will determine the shape of things to come.

Accelerated endings will become more common in the remaining chapters as the story moves into the third act. The echoes of choices made far in the past may return to help - or haunt - our protagonists.

While this has already been a long update, I wanted to wrap up with a poll.

A Quick Poll

Discord integration was one of those things we implemented that seemed better on paper than it ended up being in practice.

One of the things we did not consider as carefully as we should have is that adult gaming isn't something many people want to advertise to their other friends on Discord.

While we made the feature toggleable in the settings menu, I am considering ripping it out entirely, unless the player base finds it useful.

For those who don't dig into the settings much, all Discord integration does is show under the player's name in Discord that they are playing Chasing Sunsets, and approximately what part of the game they are on.

Yes, yank Discord integration 34%

Naw, I kinda like it 3%

Doesn't matter to me 63%

194 votes total

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I'm not sure I'm following...

Are you saying the story changed after the fact from a Jaye rape to attempted rape as a retcon?
no, I don't think there was any retcon

but the role of the attempted rape was only to create the reason for the confrontation with Jaye and MC's departure.

once that purpose was exhausted, in my opinion essentially to ensure Jaye's "purity", it was de-emphasized by a lot, which in absolute is perfectly consistent with the narrative: how could Jaye, and Tara who knows practically everything about her friend, have talked so calmly with a guy who had recently attempted to rape her? that scene, the first time, looks really weird, later it makes sense. (If we really want to, the trap scene on the boat appears even more artificial, but that's a minor problem.)

Jaye basically says that Christian's was a desperate act, for which she never really felt in danger
but despite that , for fans Christian will still remain a rapist, the one who tried to rape Jaye, and for that he will never have forgiveness. but it seems to me the story goes in another direction. Christian is the only friendly face, who knows something about what the real antagonists want to do, and sooner or later he will be heard (I haven't finished the last chapter yet, so I don't know if there have been any major developments yet)

Retrofire

Jul 4, 2019
no, I don't think there was any retcon

but the role of the attempted rape was only to create the reason for the confrontation with Jaye and MC's departure.

once that purpose was exhausted, in my opinion essentially to ensure Jaye's "purity", it was de-emphasized by a lot, which in absolute is perfectly consistent with the narrative: how could Jaye, and Tara who knows practically everything about her friend, have talked so calmly with a guy who had recently attempted to rape her? that scene, the first time, looks really weird, later it makes sense. (If we really want to, the trap scene on the boat appears even more artificial, but that's a minor problem.)

Jaye basically says that Christian's was a desperate act, for which she never really felt in danger
but despite that , for fans Christian will still remain a rapist, the one who tried to rape Jaye, and for that he will never have forgiveness. but it seems to me the story goes in another direction. Christian is the only friendly face, who knows something about what the real antagonists want to do, and sooner or later he will be heard (I haven't finished the last chapter yet, so I don't know if there have been any major developments yet)
Ahh, in that context I agree, though I also think his repeat sexual assault where he's introduced to his uncle in the hospital reinforces that his act of desperation wasn't a one-off. He's got issues that go beyond the conflict with Jaye and MC.

Reactions: felicemastronzo

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
The developer has provided download links for v0.7a:

Chasing Sunsets - Latest Download Links

Please find the latest binaries and patches from these two distribution portals.

Note: WeTransfer does not allow you to select individual files. Please use Mega if you want to pick and choose.

These links will be updated every time there is a new major release, but should otherwise remain static for minor updates.

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
Stoya has posted the v0.7a patch on the Stone Fox discord, and he's uploading it to Steam and Patreon/SubscribeStar later tonight.
I'll post it here too. Fortunately, there
The developer has provided download links for v0.7a:

Chasing Sunsets - Latest Download Links

Please find the latest binaries and patches from these two distribution portals.

MEGA Links

Note: WeTransfer does not allow you to select individual files. Please use Mega if you want to pick and choose.

These links will be updated every time there is a new major release, but should otherwise remain static for minor updates.
Oh Walter...I liked you too.

Posting direct Patreon download links like this isn't cool though. Now I have to change them.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Ahh, in that context I agree, though I also think his repeat sexual assault where he's introduced to his uncle in the hospital reinforces that his act of desperation wasn't a one-off. He's got issues that go beyond the conflict with Jaye and MC.
however, Jaye was aware of Christian's homosexuality and how much this aspect challenged him in his relations with his own father, and also she was basically his friend, one of his poch

probably a girl who had not known all this would have been much more frightened and would have continued to consider him a rapist, threatening to protest him in court as happens in the flashback

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes