4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

Bendover885

Jan 29, 2020
What we have in CS is basically using advanced CRISPR tech to rewrite someone's genome. In theory, we could harness that tech today to alter my cells to produce more melanin, or possibly the color of my eyes(?) , but the changes would be very gradual, only occurring as my body replaces the original cells with new growth.
'Designer babies', roughly speaking. More Gattaca, less The Island.

Kazanovaromeo

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
Lexi and Jaye selfie taken on the pier in Leap of Faith and sent to Tara in Chasing Sunsets! ;)

Those are a pair of beauties worthy of a crossover!! :love:
I play it in LOF but I did not get it with Tara , IS it in tara route only or how I miss it.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
I play it in LOF but I did not get it with Tara , IS it in tara route only or how I miss it.
It happens in Ch 2 when Jaye is texting Tara after she scrambles out of Alex's room after reading the journal. She tells Tara about meeting Lexi in LA and then sends her the photo. I don't think this scene is tied to any specific route requirements but I could be wrong.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
o_O o_O :oops: What are you talking about? Jaye didn't nerd fail... She is saying exactly what you said... she says "Han Solo shot Greedo before he had a chance to pull his blaster.
My memory has betrayed me! I am corrected, it is the MC who is the dumbass. I feel bad now.
'Designer babies', roughly speaking. More Gattaca, less The Island.
It'd certainly be easier to do at a younger age, less cells needing to be altered. I don't have a problem with it, though. We may have decoded our genome, but we still don't understand it well enough to manage full customization. Si many unknown interactions between the genes.

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
Yes it has. Human cells have been cloned.

You might be mixing up the ideas with standard sci-fi nonsense where you instantly get an identical copy of the genetic donor. We don't do that. As far as I know, we can't. That kind of rapid tissue generation would rock the medical world overnight, and does not even begin to scratch the surface of the ethics of the process.

There is ongoing work to utilize cells to only grow specific organs for transplant purposes, but I am unaware of the state of progress they're experiencing presently.

What we have in CS is basically using advanced CRISPR tech to rewrite someone's genome. In theory, we could harness that tech today to alter my cells to produce more melanin, or possibly the color of my eyes(?) , but the changes would be very gradual, only occurring as my body replaces the original cells with new growth.

Makes me wonder if they're exploring similar processes to lengthen the telomeres and increase longevity and cellular resilience. I know I would.
Imagine a world where there's more than one llhareses. :Kappa:

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
Imagine a world where there's more than one llhareses. :Kappa:
Gods, I hope not. I can barely tolerate the only one it's got. On the other hand, maybe producing 2-3 more and giving them to better families would make the difference to have turned things around. At least they could grow to old age knowing they'd have a full, glorious head of hair.
(my money says they'd still love Jaye, though)

Mograx

Oct 16, 2019
I'm super intrigued by the removing autism plot line going on here. For a number of reasons.

1) I have an uncle and cousin who are severely autistic. My uncle gets several giant boxes of crayons for Christmas from his parents and siblings every single year, and separates them into piles based on smell. He is OBSESSED with Diet Coke and high fives. To my knowledge, I've only ever heard him say two words: Diet Coke, and High five (Shocking). Admittedly, two dope words if you could only choose two. My cousin, while just as as severe, has had better treatment due to modern advancements in the field. While I think it was too late for my Uncle, my cousin has showed signs of savantism. While one moment he's googling images of gas caps and scrolling through the countless pages of results, he can also do the classic "What day of the week will this date be" calendar thing. Needless to say, the concept of autism has been close to me and relevant my entire life.

2) A favorite series of mine. Julian Delphiki AKA Bean, from the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow series, has parallels to Amanda. Card took an interesting approach toward savantism here: The idea that the universe demands balance. In this case, you have individuals capable of calculating incomprehensible square root numbers in their mind while simultaneously being unable to carry out simple tasks likes checking out at a grocery store.

The experiment to create a savant without any drawbacks was a failure: While the 'negative' mental aspects of savantism was successfully removed, resulting in a brain with all the pros but none of the cons, the universe demands balance. The inevitable, mandatory balanced negative to counteract his intelligence were merely transferred elsewhere: His body. He would never stop growing, and die of giantism, likely before the age of 30. He also had absolutely no idea what he was doing in terms of interacting with people, let alone leading them, though in my opinion, that was more a case of him simply being a product of his environment and "upbringing" instead of anything innately related to his savantism situation.

I don't expect the themes and possibilities on this particular plot point in the game to go too deep given the plot and story primarily revolves elsewhere, but I admit I'm eager in anticipation to see how Amanda develops going forward. She's clearly still.. odd, but has pleasantly kept her wits and intelligence, demonstrated by instantly sniffing out Vince's shadiness.

We didn't get too much of an opportunity to see what she was like before the procedure, so we don't really have a before and after comparison: it's hard for us to know in what ways she's actually changed. We'll just have to take her and other character's (namely Mallory's) word for it. Still, the potential here is undeniable.

Ultimately, I suppose I wanted to express my gratitude to the devs for approaching Amanda and her condition in the way that they have. After growing up around genuine severe autism, I have to admit, I get a little annoyed when I see people describe themselves as 'autistic' or 'on the spectrum': when in reality they're just simply quirky or eccentric, like the label makes them feel better about themselves or something. I get that the parameters have increased immensely since my uncle's day, but after watching him down a 2 liter of diet coke someone accidentally left out faster than my army friend can bong beers, my own parameters of ascribing autism are a bit different and personally colored lol.

Anyway, while I doubt Amanda and her situation is anyone's favorite part of the game, I just wanted to show that there's at least one person who hopes she continues to receive plenty of attention and love going forward with the game.

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
I'm definitely on the spectrum. Diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome before they eliminated the category to just ASD. I can do multiplication of 2 digit numbers in my head and can tell you when a lot of things in history happened.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
I'm definitely on the spectrum. Diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome before they eliminated the category to just ASD. I can do multiplication of 2 digit numbers in my head and can tell you when a lot of things in history happened.
I would hate to deal with some of the drawbacks, but would love thise benefits.

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
I would hate to deal with some of the drawbacks, but would love thise benefits.
Yeah, I'm on Social Security disability from it (lots of physical problems too, though.) Even jobs I could do I can't handle the interviews - to the point of throwing up or passing out. Severe social anxiety. Almost 49 and never been on a date.

• Sad
Reactions: Mortarion

camube

Jun 4, 2022
I'm at early Chapter 4 right now but I have a question gnawing on me a bit from early on.

To players who play their main canon path on the "compete with Jaye" route, how do you headcanon/rationalize it with regards to MC and Jaye's background?

As a person I actually would rather compete with Jaye but I feel like this game is Alex's story, not "my" story. And the flashbacks of Arios and Jaye's childhood until high school is full of them supporting each other until Mendez.

How can that Alex even choose compete.

They never fight fight. They just both tried to do their best for each other the best they know how, as kids. I can't see myself controlling Alex and choose to compete with jaye.

So how do you rationalize/head-canon your Alex decision to just compete with Jaye knowing their history?
I'd like to read others perspective on this

Reactions: Aner878787

ugulugulu

Feb 3, 2020
Usually simply because people want to see the world burn :p No specific reason to it, they are just curious about how far the drain the whole thing can go.

ktunga

Jul 10, 2022
I'm at early Chapter 4 right now but I have a question gnawing on me a bit from early on.

To players who play their main canon path on the "compete with Jaye" route, how do you headcanon/rationalize it with regards to MC and Jaye's background?

As a person I actually would rather compete with Jaye but I feel like this game is Alex's story, not "my" story. And the flashbacks of Arios and Jaye's childhood until high school is full of them supporting each other until Mendez.

How can that Alex even choose compete.

They never fight fight. They just both tried to do their best for each other the best they know how, as kids. I can't see myself controlling Alex and choose to compete with jaye.

So how do you rationalize/head-canon your Alex decision to just compete with Jaye knowing their history?
I'd like to read others perspective on this
i try the so called cannon path and for me didnt do the job ,i think this is a love story not a revenge or who is the best one so ,its hard to believe that the dev do this on purpose i think only gives this path for a second option to those are here for the sex scenes and to have them all ,ofc the sex scenes are important in every sex game but i dont see chasing sunsets like i can see others in this form and i must say that this is one of the best all around .....

Dec 29, 2018
It's very easy to conclude that their relationship is extremely unhealthy and that the main character would be better off if he distanced himself from Jaye. She is ill-tempered, violent, controlling, spiteful, manipulative, and impossible to reason with.

They never fight fight.
Yeah, but that's only because the main character stands there like a lump and takes the abuse from Jaye, like at their graduation party where she physically attacks him while everyone watches.

They just both tried to do their best for each other the best they know how, as kids.
That's not true for Jaye. When she avoids her brother, it's out of spite. She's angry that he avoided her for two days and stays angry for years. Then she inexplicably plays dumb about it when trying to mend fences as adults, right before she steals his personal journals after promising to be better.

So, all in all, I'd say that I have the exact opposite problem that you do. My biggest issue with the game is that I don't understand how we are supposed to believe that the main characters actually love each other and haven't just been lusting after one another.

The game insists that the player character is madly in love with Jaye, but never explains why. Those days of having fun as children are long gone, and should be overshadowed by the years of anger and contempt that Jaye dished out.

The game would be much better if we were given more control over the main character. Let us tell Tara that we want to forget about Jaye instead of talking about her. Let us tell Jaye that we left because we were tired of the constant fighting. That would make much more sense than what we get now.

The two main paths in the game are not treated equally. It's very clear that the writers favour Jaye, and it hurts the game whenever they yank control of the player character away from the players who aren't interested in Jaye.

keefer43

Dec 24, 2019
Yes it has. Human cells have been cloned.

You might be mixing up the ideas with standard sci-fi nonsense where you instantly get an identical copy of the genetic donor. We don't do that. As far as I know, we can't. That kind of rapid tissue generation would rock the medical world overnight, and does not even begin to scratch the surface of the ethics of the process.

There is ongoing work to utilize cells to only grow specific organs for transplant purposes, but I am unaware of the state of progress they're experiencing presently.

Makes me wonder if they're exploring similar processes to lengthen the telomeres and increase longevity and cellular resilience. I know I would.
Identical twins are clones - done the natural way.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
Identical twins are clones - done the natural way.
They share the same genes, absolutely, but it's not quite the same as cloning, at least in standard sci-fi fare. Still plenty of developmental variances before birth.

I do somewhat envy those with a natural twin, I could have really used a soare parts donor a fee years ago. ;)

Having a same-age sibling as a child would have been so much better than the 5-year gaps my father managed.

camube

Jun 4, 2022
It's very easy to conclude that their relationship is extremely unhealthy and that the main character would be better off if he distanced himself from Jaye. She is ill-tempered, violent, controlling, spiteful, manipulative, and impossible to reason with.

Yeah, but that's only because the main character stands there like a lump and takes the abuse from Jaye, like at their graduation party where she physically attacks him while everyone watches.

That's not true for Jaye. When she avoids her brother, it's out of spite. She's angry that he avoided her for two days and stays angry for years. Then she inexplicably plays dumb about it when trying to mend fences as adults, right before she steals his personal journals after promising to be better.

So, all in all, I'd say that I have the exact opposite problem that you do. My biggest issue with the game is that I don't understand how we are supposed to believe that the main characters actually love each other and haven't just been lusting after one another.

The game insists that the player character is madly in love with Jaye, but never explains why. Those days of having fun as children are long gone, and should be overshadowed by the years of anger and contempt that Jaye dished out.

The game would be much better if we were given more control over the main character. Let us tell Tara that we want to forget about Jaye instead of talking about her. Let us tell Jaye that we left because we were tired of the constant fighting. That would make much more sense than what we get now.

The two main paths in the game are not treated equally. It's very clear that the writers favour Jaye, and it hurts the game whenever they yank control of the player character away from the players who aren't interested in Jaye.
Thank you very much for the insight! While i don't think like you, this gives me the perspective for alternate path where Alex does compete with Jaye.

My main Alex path is full Jaye cooperation because the way i see things between Alex and Jay is almost the opposite of you. So much so that I override "my own choices" in the game.

As a played i would rather compete, but i don't see Alex ever want to screw over Jaye, before your perspective.

Looking forward to playing the competing with Jaye alternate path after I'm done with my main path. Thanks again man!

Reactions: Sasanid
4.60 star(s) 308 Votes