4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
I Really hope there is a path where You can just be with Jay i really don't want any of the other women (well for a first playthrough anyway)
I mean there clearly is... you can shut down all other women even Mallory if you want to (except for Fiona and Tara but those events took place before the game actually starts so that doesn't count)

Reactions: Joshy92

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
I don't understand. Is someone who paid for early access posting the early access link somewhere where it isn't supposed to be and therefore the link gets overloaded? I get how it is THEFT but how is it bandwidth theft? And why would this make the game take longer to make?
I don't claim to be an expert on all things F95, but here is my understanding about how the upload process is intended to work (and if someone who normally provides these uploads wants to clarify/correct - please do!):

An uploader takes the compressed file for an AVN and loads it to multiple upload sites: MEGA, Gofile, etc.

These uploads have whatever limits that the upload site normally imposes (like 5 GB for the free rev of MEGA or download speed).

The links are then posted on pg. 1 of the thread for access by F95 visitors.

If someone takes a link directly from the Patreon site and posts it here - and, for example, the dev is actually hosting that content on a server that they are maintaining (their supporters are effectively paying for this service) so that there is no MEGA limit for example, then pirate downloads are competing directly with supporter downloads.

This means that those people who are paying to support an AVN could run into download issues (access/time to download) if they are trying to download something they are effectively paying for while those on F95 are taking the same content from the same server and using up that bandwidth.

I caught enough of the discussion to see that F95 has a process for handling the upload of a rev for an AVN so those on F95 can access it. Others may come along once that content is posted here and post other ways to access that content (Torrent, for ex.)

A Patreon link was actually provided (I don't remember if it was provided ahead of the upload of the new rev or if it was provided after the upload was already made and links posted on F95). I believe that the way it happened was accidental - no harm was intended - but it did impact the devs and their supporters.

One of the devs severed his relationship with F95/this thread over what happened.

So - to your question about why the above would make Chasing Sunsets take longer to make:

The net result is that the devs are now spending time working to protect the access to their content - which takes away from the time they are spending on creating that content - which is why I said that this slows content delivery. They are now spending time and $ to protect that content and, so far, they are not pursuing the active DRM route.

You may not have encountered this but there are devs that embed ads in their AVNs - not active DRM but definitely immersion breaking.

There are more harsh, active DRM actions that can be embedded in an AVN but, my opinion, that tends to start a flame war where the dev, if they were active participants on F95, ghost F95 once people set out to actively hack and undermine their hard work.

If this happens - everyone loses - because we may still be able to get content, but it will be less content than before/more slowly delivered than before due to the time being spent protecting that content versus just creating that content and any friendly discussions with the dev stop.

Again - if an experienced uploader wants to correct/clarify any of my 'F95 how we upload content' above, please do - I'm certainly up for learning something new.

I hope this answers your questions!

Cheers! :coffee:

Last edited:

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
I don't understand. Is someone who paid for early access posting the early access link somewhere where it isn't supposed to be and therefore the link gets overloaded? I get how it is THEFT but how is it bandwidth theft?
If I recall correctly, someone DID post the official paid subscriber download link here and caused bandwidth issues with the official link, not to mention incur additional cost to the devs to pay for the pirate traffic. And this following part might be my hallucination, but the offender then proceeded to argue that he did nothing wrong.

And why would this make the game take longer to make?
Did you not even read the post you replied to? The developers had to spent time away from developing the game to work on additional safeguards to prevent the same problem again. Time not spent on developing game = longer development cycle. Which part of that is hard to comprehend?

Retrofire

Jul 4, 2019
Active DRM.. hahah.. yea lets go devs, install Denuvo on AVN :Kappa:
Looks to me like they specifically said "No intention to pursue active DRM."

Imatag is a digital watermark technology though, so if they're linking personalized downloads to a digital watermark, they'll figure out who their leakers are. Not that it will make a difference.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
Looks to me like they specifically said "No intention to pursue active DRM."

Imatag is a digital watermark technology though, so if they're linking personalized downloads to a digital watermark, they'll figure out who their leakers are. Not that it will make a difference.
If you can cooperate with a second leaker, you can repack the assets in a way that destroys the watermark.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Does anyone know how long after it's out on patreon do updates come to steam (That's where i play it)

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
If you can cooperate with a second leaker, you can repack the assets in a way that destroys the watermark.
If all they are doing is adding a watermark - that is nothing compared to how much more invasive they could be.

There will always be people who will decide to undermine the dev's attempt to protect their creation (even when those dev's do nothing to stop their most recent rev from being posted. The discussion of a number of AVNs, by name, that don't have their latest rev posted by the uploaders is OT).

The more those individuals work to do this, the greater the likelihood that the devs adopt more stringent protection measures.

No Dev is locked into Never adding active DRM if someone, for example, continues to put their paid links on a pirate site.

Would the resulting flame war this behavior creates be good for this thread or any thread on F95? NO

Would some of those same individuals then complain about the creation they take for free taking longer and the devs must just be milking? YES

At a certain point in time, I would hope that the moderators would step in and CRUSH those who are damaging F95 and ban those ID's.

It won't totally stop bad behavior but it will become Very obvious who keeps reappearing as a troll when their ID's have no posting history or 'length of service' on F95.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
interesting, not really an AVN, at least not a classic western renpy adult VN created by some individual(s) but funny nevertheless. 'Cracked' version of that game contains .exe file from japanese version as it doesn't have Denuvo :WeSmart:

It's good for us that average patreon AVN dev(s) doesn't have enough money to afford Denuvo :Kappa:

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Jaye has to be one of my favourite visual novel characters of all time she is right up there with Maya (From being a dik)
The other girls are cool too but compared to Jaye there is no competition
I don't ever want to be mean to her ever to me those options don't exist lol.

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes